Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

download.cnet

Options
  • 16-09-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I always thought it was fairly safe to download stuff from this site, but it now seems to add a load of crap add-ons and different search engine to your browser.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

smacg wrote: »
    I always thought it was fairly safe to download stuff from this site, but it now seems to add a load of crap add-ons and different search engine to your browser.

Only if you don't pay attention to the dialog boxes when installing the software you downloaded.

If you just click "ok" through the process, you've probably agreed to that crapware without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

I thought I had the second time, but must have missed one of them by accident. It def puts me off using this site again though as I have to spend time getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Only if you don't pay attention to the dialog boxes when installing the software you downloaded.

If you just click "ok" through the process, you've probably agreed to that crapware without realising it.

This, they used to be great, last couple of years especially since CBS took over, you have to be careful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The CNet "Secure Downloads" sometimes have an additional installer which asks you to install toolbars and associated junk. Be careful with CNet downloads I tend to use Softpedia or FileHippo instead

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Thanks Nick I will have to try using these in the future

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Nearly got caught by one of their safe installer files that before I knew it had some crap backup program installed. Went back and downloaded from the "Direct link" underneath the button for the ""SAFE"" installer.

On windows I'm in the habit of making a restore point before I download anything now because you can't totally trust anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    This, they used to be great, last couple of years especially since CBS took over, you have to be careful.

I stopped using the site because of this effort to pollute my pc. CBS buying it explains it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Recently, I've been removing "windows backup" or "my pc backup" type software from a lot of customer PCs. Some of these come as a "gift" when you download the CNET installer

FYI, you can actually choose "Standalone installer" (edit: Direct Link) from the CNET website. Although, in fairness, they display so much "Download" buttons, even the most experienced users can be confused.

I also seem to be encountering the Delta toolbar and all of the other cr@p that this particular piece of malware seems to come with. Not to mention , conduit, Babylon, shopper reports etc...

People, "DO NOT", choose "express or quick install" when downloading free software. Choose Advanced or Custom install...

This does not mean that you have to be an advanced user !!!

Actually, what it does is let you know what other "bundled" software/malware is being installed by default, and also gives you the option to uncheck the boxes that would otherwise allow this stuff to be installed on your computer.

Simply put, "Advanced" install, doesn't mean that you have to be an Advanced user...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

OR google program name ,then get it from another site,
    They ARE probably hoping people will click ok, ok, install,
    whereas you need to untick install toolbar ,crapware ,
    and just tick the correct program you want.
    That,s why i see loads of useless programs on pcs used by non expert users .
    it seems When websites get taken over by large corporations they get worse ,
    eg look at g4 now, the gaming shows are gone .

usually you can remove toolbar by going thru the browser ,options,addons etc

Advertisement