Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thursday 30/7/2015

A) Bench
    62.5kg x 4 x 10
    62.5kg x 11

B) CGBP
    57.5kg x 4 x 10

C) DB Incline Bench
    (90s rest)
    20kg x 4 x 10

D) DB Rows
    (90s rest)
    30kg x 5 x 12 e/s

E) Split Squats
    (90-120s rest)
    67.5kg x 4 x 12/12

Didn't really fancy training today because felt off - sneezing and general *****iness - but got it done. Best part was benching felt stronger and better than last week. Woof.

Layout of exercises was different from what I intended to do because of equipment not being free when I needed but got everything done, except for skullcrushers, in the time I had but much more DB incline benching than usual so triceps still got worked over.

Edit: been benching with slightly wider grip, i.e. ring finger on ring, than I feel my strongest grip is. It isn't much because usual grip is with little finger on or just inside ring but hits chest a bit harder.

Sunday 2/8/2015

A) Deadlifts
    127.5kg x 4 x 8

B) Front Squat
    65kg x 5 x 10

C1) Good Mornings
    47.5kg x 5 x 12

C2) DB Flys
    10kg x 5 x 15

D1) GHRs
    4 x 20

D2) Reverse Flys
    5kg x 5 x 15

E) Skullcrushers
    (60-90s rest)
    25kg x 5 x 15

Felt ropey - residual shi*tiness, headache, etc and plan was to get through main movements and cut some of the accessories.

Was a battle from early on but happy to get that volume at 65 on front squats,in particular. Def more than before.

Got more done than I thought I might - only the Russian Twists didn't make the cut in the end.

Wednesday 5/8/2015

A) Squat
    (~120s rest)
    90kg x 3 X 12

B) RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    90kg x 5 x 12

C) Lat Pulldown
    (<90s rest)
    87.5kg x 5 x 12

D1) Incline Leg Press
    150kg x 20
    200kg x 3 x 15

D2) DB Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 4 x 12

E) Face Pulls
    (60s rest)
    4 x 12

Was supposed to be done yesterday but when I woke, it became apparent I'd contracted Ebola.

Squats were ok but during 2nd set something happened in left hip...like something twanging off hip bone halfway back up. Got worse and started 4th set but it was getting too sore so I stopped. Disgusted.

RDLs felt solid. Threw in an extra set of pulldowns cos equipment I was to move to wasn't free.

Leg press just to work the legs a bit since I had to cut squats short.

Feels like a bit of a waste of time having only got some of the squats done. Probably isn't but just feels like that.

Thursday 6/8/2015

A1) DB OHP
    (60-90s rest)
    16kg x 5 x 15

A2) Seated Hamstring Curls
    (60-90s rest)
    77.5kg x 4 x 15
    77.5kg x 20

B1) Back Extensions
    +17.5kg x 4 x 15
    +17.5kg x 18

B2) Plank (pushup position)
    5 x 60s

B3) Front Plate Raises
    10kg x 5 x 15

C) C2 Intervals
    11 rounds: 30s row, 30s rest.
    Not dropping below 150m.

D1) Close Grip Plate-Loaded Seated Rows
    100kg x 4 x 15

D2) Lateral Raises
    9kg x 4 x 12

A's and B's done before work. C's and D after.

Happy to get through all sets with 16s cos only managed 1 extra rep with 15s. Shoulders starting to improve a bit. Will have a better idea when volume drops and intensity goes up.

Went for an extra round on C2. Which means I'll have to increase again next week. I don't like where this is going. Especially given that with 3 rounds to go I wondered how close to getting sick I might be at the end.

Had to put C2 intervals ahead of rows because some lad was inventing exercises on the plate-loaded row so was just as well I hadn't time to attempt a 5th round of D's. Goosed.

Saturday 8/8/2015

A) Bench
    65kg x 5 x 10

B) CGBP
    60kg x 4 x 10

C) Seated Leg Press
    (60s rest)
    110kg x 4 x 15

D) DB Rows
    (90s rest)
    30kg x 4 x 12 e/s
    30kg x 14 e/s

E) Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    25kg x 4 x 15
    25kg x 16

F) DB Incline Bench
    (60-90s rest)
    18kg x 10, 10, 9, 9

Didn't expect to be doing anything today. This was supposed to be done yesterday but Littl'un was pretty sick and didn't think there'd be a chance I'd get out of house today either.

Widened bench grip put again to middle fingers on rings. Kept rests <2.5 mins. Last set was 8+2. Grip width made it feel a touch less strong but it had the required effect. CGBP is increasingly tough with the increasing bench volume but 3 min rests get just enough recovery in.

Just did some leg press work instead of split squats cos I didn't want to test the glute too much after Wednesday's niggle or overdo quads ahead of front squats tomorrow.

DB inclines are hilarious. The DBs feel light enough but after a few reps your triceps are burning and you feel as strong as a newborn lamb.

• Advertisement

Sunday 9/8/2015

A) Deadlifts
    130kg x 4 x 8

B) Front Squat
    66kg x 5 x 10

C1) Good Mornings
    (120s rest)
    50kg x 5 x 12

C2) Reverse Flys
    5kg x 5 x 15

D1) GHRs
    (120s rest)
    4 x 20

D2) Russian Twists
    +25kg x 3 x 20/20
    +25kg x 23/23

Rests between sets of A and B were all 3 mins. Not 100% yet so wanted to allow a little more rest than usual.

Felt the left glute a bit during DL warm ups but didn't notice it after that. Result.

Lats really tired towards end of front squats and last few reps were a battle to keep elbows up.

Everything else felt solid and better in terms of form.

Tuesday 11/8/2015

A) Bench
    65kg x 5 x 10

B) Split Squats
    (90-120s rest)
    65kg x 5 x 12/12

C) CGBP
    60kg x 4 x 10

D1) DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    32kg x 4 x 12 e/s
    32kg x 13 e/s

D2) Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    25kg x 4 x 15
    25kg x 17

Legs still a bit tired after Sunday. Most likely cos eating and sleeping has been thrown off line lately so recovery not as it should be. So switched squatting day with benching day and started recovering recovery.

Kept weights at same for benching to see out all the sets of 10.

Dropped off weight by 5kg on what I was due to do just to not overtax left glute. Not much cos wanted to test I properly and no issue so squats should be fine this week.

Everything felt really good but strangely the CGBP was a little off and it's usually one of my better lifts. Be grand next time.

Wednesday 12/8/2015

A1) DB OHP
    (90s rest)
    16kg x 4 x 15
    16kg x 16

(90s rest)
    80kg x 4 x 15
    80kg x 17

B1) Back Extensions
    +18kg x 4 x 15
    +18kg x 20

5 x 65s

B3) Front Plate Raises
    10kg x 4 x 15
    10kg x 17

C1) Close Grip Plate-Loaded Seated Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    102.5kg x 4 x 15
    102.5kg x 16

C2) Lateral Raises
    9kg x 5 x 12

D) C2 Intervals
    12 rounds: 30s row, 30s rest.
    Not dropping below 150m.
    Because I hate myself.

A's and B's done before work. All felt good.

C's and D after work. C's felt solid.

I only recall feeling so f**ked by the C2 once before: the Sports Expo during Freshers Week in UCD. One of the first times I got on one. Did 500m with all I had. Felt awful after. Today wasn't as bad at least but it sucked donkey balls towards the end.

Thursday 13/8/2015

A) Squat
    (~120s rest)
    90kg x 4 X 12
    90kg x 17

B) RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    92.5kg x 5 x 12

C) Lat Pulldown
    (~90s rest)
    87.5kg x 5 x 12

D1) Face Pulls
    4 x 12

D2) DB Hammer Curls
    10kg x 3 x 12
    10kg x 15

Videoed 1st set of squats and saw I needed to work on pushing my hips through to lockout. Worked on that, which was good, and happy with volume. Probably about as many reps in an AMRAP set as I've ever done but before I wouldn't have had 4x12 done beforehand.

Was supposed to be 12.5s for hammer curls but brain fart.

Good session though. Happy out with the squatting.

Sunday 16/8/2015

A) Deadlifts
    135kg x 4 x 8

B1) Good Mornings
    (120s rest)
    50kg x 5 x 12

B2) DB Flys
    12.5kg x 5 x 15

C1) Front Squat
    66kg x 5 x 10

C2) Reverse Flys
    5kg x 5 x 15

D1) GHRs
    (120s rest)
    4 x 20

D2) Decline Situps
    +15kg x 3 x 15
    +15kg x 18

Moved front squats to C to give my quads and lats a bit of a rest after deadlifts. Stayed at 66 just to drill form a bit better when fatigue was lower than last week and see the difference.

DLs felt fine but need to tighten up form. Managed to do sets of 9 instead of 8 on last 2 sets. Pushed rests to 3.5 mins between sets.

Had another 2 reps in me on last set of front squat bug whatever way my finger was caught, it was awkward and sore so I just racked it at 10. Far better than last week anyway.

Had to ditch Russian Twists cos they were filming Ireland's Fittest Family where I do 'em so did decline situps instead

• Advertisement

Tuesday 18/8/2015

A) Squat
    (3 mins rest)
    92.5kg x 4 X 12
    92.5kg x 15

B) RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    95kg x 5 x 12

C) Lat Pulldown
    (~90s rest)
    90kg x 5 x 12

D1) Face Pulls
    4 x 12

D2) DB Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 4 x 12

Yesterday I felt really sh*tty - can't seem to shake off this dose - but was feeling a touch better this morning so in I went.

Worked harder at keeping my chest up more for squats. Made them feel a lot better. Last few reps were a slog.

All in all though, it feels like small improvements in squat are being made week on week

Felt grand squatting but was on Vom Alert from halfway thru pulldowns on. Should've gone home then but seemed too close to end to stop. Might skip tomorrow.

Edit: for next three weeks or so, I think I'll change tack for squats and instead of AMRAP on 5th set, do the 12 and then a shorter rest and see how many I get on 6th set but not going to failure. Might be better way to keep increasing volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Wednesday 12/8/2015

(90s rest)
    80kg x 4 x 15
    80kg x 17

I've only started doing these but for the life of me I can't get over 40kg x 12 reps.
    I find the set up awkward and I've to brace myself in case my back-side gets pulled forward. I think my quad thickness is in between 2 notches and that causes me to slide. the whole movement just feels wrong for me.

Either way.... jaysus....or well done...or both

arayess wrote: »
    I've only started doing these but for the life of me I can't get over 40kg x 12 reps.
    I find the set up awkward and I've to brace myself in case my back-side gets pulled forward. I think my quad thickness is in between 2 notches and that causes me to slide. the whole movement just feels wrong for me.

Either way.... jaysus....or well done...or both

The seated hamstring curl machine in the gym is pretty good for allowing lots of adjustments in terms of where you are on the seat and how well braced you legs are.

That makes all the difference. The old gym I used was like you've described. 40x12 was a pipe dream.

Thursday 20/8/2015

A) Bench
    66kg x 5 x 10

B) CGBP
    60kg x 4 x 10

C1) DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    32.5kg x 3 x 12 e/s

C2) Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    25kg x 3 x 15

Taking a break yesterday was a really good idea!

Taking another day would have been better again...

1st bench set felt like a 4th set. But I thought it'd feel better the more I did as often happens. But it wasn't that bad, all things considered, and last set was only 9+1 so I'll take that.

Had planned upping weight on CGBP but knew there was no point increasing today. Bouts of coughing kinda messed up 3rd set.

Realised during 3rd round of skullcrushers that the only reason I was still there was stubbornness so I called a halt to the stupidity and went home.

Sunday 23/8/2015

Dublin City Triathlon - Relay
    We decided to enter again so I was on for the run. The relay isn't full Olympic distance, which is nice.

Was talking to a lad in the transition who has represented Ireland at cross country so didn't harbour any notions of winning.

Only had about a minute lead on him and he passed me with 2km to go. Put the foot down to try hold onto 2nd and that's where we finished.

Target was to be quicker than last year. Not sure if I was because I forgot I was timing it but it felt stronger than last year so I'll hopefully see that in the chip results.

Tried protein milk after it. I won't be buying it.

Good morning despite the sh*tty weather

Sotthe coughing and all that the last few weeks came to a head as an acute respiratory tract infection. So no training all week.

Kinda feels like having been hit by a monster truck

Tuesday 1/9/2015

Closest I've felt to healthy in weeks! Feels like an age since I last squatted. #giddy

A) Squat
    (3 mins rest)
    92.5kg x 5 X 12
    (60s rest)
    92.5kg x 6

B) RDLs
    (90-120s rest)
    95kg x 5 x 12

C) Lat Pulldown
    (90-120s rest)
    92.5kg x 5 x 12

D1) Face Pulls
    (90s rest)
    4 x 12

D2) DB Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 3 x 12
    12.5kg x 13

Was really looking forward to squatting especially since this day last week I could barely lift my eyelids.

Rustiness showed during squats - few loose ones. Tried a few things and felt like they improved form.

The last week or so didn't make it feel any easier but just delira to be back at it

Wednesday 2/9/2015

A1) DB OHP
    (90s rest)
    16kg x 5 x 15
    16kg x 9

(90s rest)
    80kg x 6 x 15

B1) Back Extensions
    +20kg x 4 x 15
    +20kg x 20

5 x 65s

B3) Front Plate Raises
    10kg x 4 x 15
    10kg x 19

C1) Close Grip Plate-Loaded Seated Rows
    (90-120s between sets)
    105kg x 5 x 15

C2) Lateral Raises
    9kg x 4 x 12
    9kg x 15

D) C2
    3 rounds: 500m row, 1 min rest
    1:40.6
    1:41.3
    1:44.6

A's and B's done before work. C's and D after work.

As with squat, gonna do the prescribed sets for OHPs and an AMRAP set at the end with rest being walk from ham curl machine

Haven't done a 500m row in... years so didn't know what time to aim for. Said I'd start off at 1:50 pace and see how that felt. First 2 felt ok but died for a second midway through 3rd. The rests felt shorter than 30s rests between 30s intervals! Anyhoo...marker set.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Solid marker alright for a lightweight! I'd be pretty goosed doing ~1:40 500m repeats off 30s rest. I'd say go 1:43 across next time and work it done to 1:40 over a few weeks.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Solid marker alright for a lightweight! I'd be pretty goosed doing ~1:40 500m repeats off 30s rest. I'd say go 1:43 across next time and work it done to 1:40 over a few weeks.

30s rest? Haha. Would probably be laid out in a casket if I tried that.

60s rests between. The 1:40 felt ok for the first one and I revised the pace to 1:45 for the second but I was holding 1:41 the second time so I kept at it. Which was fine until 250m into the third one when it clattered me and I died for a sec before pushing on with what I had left.

But yeah, I was thinking of trying to hold at 1:42 or 1:43 the next day. I found it hard to get a handle on pacing because I'm so used to just doing 30s sprints on it.

• Advertisement

30s rest? Haha. Would probably be laid out in a casket if I tried that.

60s rests between. The 1:40 felt ok for the first one and I revised the pace to 1:45 for the second but I was holding 1:41 the second time so I kept at it. Which was fine until 250m into the third one when it clattered me and I died for a sec before pushing on with what I had left.

But yeah, I was thinking of trying to hold at 1:42 or 1:43 the next day. I found it hard to get a handle on pacing because I'm so used to just doing 30s sprints on it.

Sorry yeah, 60s rest. :pac:

Yeah I'd say try 1:43. You should lower down the average over your first 10 strokes and then ease back up in around 1:43 / 1:44 and hold it across. If you do that successfully, take a little bit off across the next week and so on. It's always worked for me as an approach to progressive improvement rather than having positive splits. I feel like if you are dying on a later interval of a block your technique is inevitably going to suffer and I'm not sure the additional stress carries over to a fundamentally improved ability to any extent.

Sorry yeah, 60s rest. :pac:

Yeah I'd say try 1:43. You should lower down the average over your first 10 strokes and then ease back up in around 1:43 / 1:44 and hold it across. If you do that successfully, take a little bit off across the next week and so on. It's always worked for me as an approach to progressive improvement rather than having positive splits. I feel like if you are dying on a later interval of a block your technique is inevitably going to suffer and I'm not sure the additional stress carries over to a fundamentally improved ability to any extent.

The holding it is the bit I had trouble with yesterday, as in taking a smidgin off the pace I was at and then holding at that. But the more I do it, the better I'll become at it.

The plan is to bring it down overall but in a way that the 3 times are more or less the same.

I need to concentrate more on technique as well. Even when it's off, its not bad but when it's right, the times come down more easily.

Yeah most people have trouble consistently holding a split. I have trouble holding times consistently above the 1:50 mark for example, as my stroke rate is so low above that point that there is natural oscillation of the avg/500. But as you practice it becomes easier and then you start being able to up or lower your pace predictably via stroke rate which is where you want to be I think.

Yeah most people have trouble consistently holding a split. I have trouble holding times consistently above the 1:50 mark for example, as my stroke rate is so low above that point that there is natural oscillation of the avg/500. But as you practice it becomes easier and then you start being able to up or lower your pace predictably via stroke rate which is where you want to be I think.

Muchos gracias. I'll take all your advice and put them to (hopefully) good use next week.

Thursday 3/9/2015

A) Bench
    66kg x 5 x 10

B) Incline Bench
    52.5kg x 4 x 10

C1) DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    32.5kg x 4 x 12 e/s

C2) Skullcrushers
    (90-120s rest)
    25kg x 4 x 15

D) Incline Leg Press
    (<90s rest)
    200kg x 4 x 15

Out of time.

Benching felt tough. Tougher than it has at same weight before.

Had a bit of a guess what weight to do incline bench at. Erred on side of caution. And reps. Felt tough.

No room for lunges or split squats so just decided to do some leg pressing to work the legs a bit.

Gonna put it down to it being one of those days. I've ploughed through that benching with relative ease before but today it just felt rough.

Got a good chest pump out of it, at least.

Sunday 6/9/2015

A) Deadlifts
    135kg x 8
    135kg x 3 x 9

B1) Good Mornings
    50kg x 5 x 12

B2) DB Flys
    12.5kg x 5 x 15

C1) Front Squat
    66kg x 5 x 10
    66kg x 5

C2) Reverse Flys
    5kg x 5 x 15
    5kg x 14

D1) GHRs
    (120s rest)
    4 x 20

D2) Decline Situps
    +25kg x 3 x 20/20
    +25kg x

No increase in weight on what I did last time I did this workout cos it's been 3 weeks since I did this workout so didn't want to throw on weight for sake of it. Just said I'd do more reps if they were there.

DLs were more tiring than I expected today. Form slipped a few times on last set.

When it came to front squat time, I didn't fancy it. Could feel tired. Lats tired on 2nd set but the rest of the sets felt way better as I worked harder at keeping tighter.
    Went straight into 6th set with no rest after flys and stopped as form started to go. Decent volume.

Strangely, front squats felt the easiest to get through out of everything.

Wiped so time for food, reclining and hurling. Get in!

Tuesday 8/9/2015

A1) Face Pulls
    (90s rest)
    4 x 12

A2) DB Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 3 x 12
    12.5kg x 14

B) Squat
    (3 mins rest)
    92.5kg x 5 X 12
    (60s rest)
    92.5kg x 8

C) Lat Pulldown
    (90s rest)
    95kg x 5 x 12
    (30s rest)
    95kg x 5

D) Front Plate Raises
    (60s rest)
    10kg x 7 x 15

Said I'd stick at 92.5kg for squats and be tidier than last week. Started a bit loose but worked on keeping tighter and they got better as I went.

Was no room for RDLs so freed up room tomorrow by doing front plate raises instead.

Happy enough with it. Good volume.

Wednesday 9/9/2015

A1) DB OHP
    (90s rest)
    16kg x 5 x 15
    16kg x 10

(90s rest)
    82.5kg x 6 x 15

B1) Barbell Rows
    60kg x 4 x 12
    60kg x 15

B2) Back Extensions
    +20kg x 4 x 16
    +20kg x 17

B3) Lateral Raises
    9kg x 4 x 12
    9kg x 15

C1) RDLs
    (90-120s between sets)
    95kg x 5 x 13

C2) Plank (pushup position)
    5 x 70s

D) C2 Intervals
    3 rounds:
    500m row, 60s rest
    1:40.3
    1:43.5
    1:40.7

A's and B's done before work. C's and D after.

Changed this workout's rowing to barbell rows. Some lower back pump off the back extensions. Unbelievable, Jeff!

I toyed with the idea of rowing before RDLs so glutes wouldn't be as tired before rowing but RDLs are priority so didn't.

Plan for the rows was to aim for splits of 1:42 and improve consistency of technique and stroke rate using LuckyLloyd's advice from last week. Made a mess of it for most of 1st leg but looked at stroke rate and ignored ave/500m number and 2nd leg was much more consistent rowing. As was third but had more in tank than expected so upped it for last 150/175m. Happy with how it came together.

Thursday 10/9/2015

A) Split Squat
    60kg x 4 x 15/15

B) Skullcrushers
    25kg x 4 x 15
    25kg x 20

C) DB Rows
    (90-120s rest)
    32.5kg x 4 x 12 e/s
    32.5kg x 14 e/s

D) Bench
    66kg x 2 x 10
    66kg x 3 x 5

E) DB Incline Bench
    20kg x 5 x 10
    17.5kg x 8, 7, 6
    16kg x 8, 8, 6
    15kg x 8

Had to split today before and after work cos meeting later would cut training time.

A-C before work. D-F after.

The whole day felt sh*t. Morning, I just got it done. No more, no less.

Benching was awful. It felt heavy from the go. I don't think the training this morning helped but thankfully that was a one-off.

The DB benching was fuelled by frustration/anger. Short rests and burning were involved

• Advertisement

Sunday 13/9/2015

A) Deadlifts
    137.5kg x 6 x 6

B1) Good Mornings
    50kg x 5 x 13

B2) DB Flys
    12.5kg x 5 x 16

C1) Front Squat
    67.5kg x 5 x 10
    (30s rest)
    67.5kg x 5

C2) Reverse Flys
    5kg x 4 x 15
    5kg x 20

D1) GHRs
    (120s rest)
    20, 20, 20, 21

D2) Decline Sit Ups
    +15kg x 3 x 17
    +15kg x 19

I felt like the later sets of 8 were getting sloppy towards the latter reps last week so decided to switch to sets of 6 and increase number of sets. 2.5 minute rests felt long enough. Form felt better than has in a while.

Front squats felt good too. Everything felt strong really.

Realised on last set I'll be trying to train tomorrow because I won't be able to train until Thursday. Probably best to push squats back til then.

Advertisement