Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Friday 16/10/2015

A) Bench
    68.5kg x 5 x 8

B) CGBP
    61kgs x 4 x 8

C) Split Squats
    60kgs x 4 x 15/15

D1) Skullcrushers
    30kg x 4 x 13

D2) Single-Arm DB Rows
    35kg x 3 x 12 e/s
    35kg x 14 e/s

That was alright. Front delt niggled me on bench...will spare it a bit for a few days. No bother knocking out the reps. Or on CGBP. Triceps got a going over anyway.

Sunday 18/10/2015

A) Deadlifts
    147.5kg x 7 x 5

B1) Good Mornings
    52.5kg x 5 x 13

B2) Decline Sit ups
    +15kg x 4 x 15
    +15kg x 20

C1) Front Squat
    70kg x 5 x 10

C2) Trap bar Shrugs
    100kg x 5 x 12

DLs felt and looked better. Getting chest up gets hips into better position and helps with overall position.

Wasn't particularly confident starting front squats...just feeling more tired. Had to work against that, mentally, but got through them.

Called it a bit early because COYBIG!

It turns out that that's actually 12 weeks of this training done. Probably took 16 weeks or so. Will keep at it at for a few more weeks cos may be a question of moving sessions around while schedules are in a constant state of flux.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

What program you following Alf?

ninamc wrote: »
    What program you following Alf?

It's not a program, per so. Similar to an old one but with more volume. A lot more than I'm used to. Some new exercises added to work on weaknesses. But it suits right now cos the way things have been the last while, I wouldn't have been able to give a program a go. I did try but had to skip sessions and cram days in together so it made a bit of a mess of things.

Thursday 22/10/2015

A) Squat
    (~3 mins rest)
    100kg x 5 X 12

B1) Face Pulls
    5 x 13

B2) DB Hammer Curls
    15kg x 5 x 8

C1) GHRs
    4 x 20

C2) NG Pull Ups
    8, 8, 10, 8

Missed training being away working on Tuesday and yesterday so no birfday skwats. Felt like sh*t going in. Poxy headcold. Didn't expect much out of today but got through the squats. Just. Didn't push for the last set after short rest because I knew it might be a stupid decision because drained this week and really felt it on last 2 sets.

Tried out the new Powerlifts I got as a present to see what, if any, difference the lower heel might make compared to Power Perfects. Hard to tell today but I think I like them.

Nowhere to do it RDLs or lat pulldowns when I wanted to so GHRs and pull ups instead. Pull ups felt really good. Had planned on sets of 8 bit went a bit further on 3rd set cos I thought I'd been well within what I could do but then the last set was only just 8. Still, they felt strong for the most part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

is it your birthday

bluewolf wrote: »
    is it your birthday

Not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

happy belated :pac:

Mercy buckets

Saturday 24/10/2015

A) Bench
    70kg x 5 x 8

B) CGBP
    62.5kg x 4 x 8

C1) Skullcrushers
    27.5kg x 4 x 15

C2) Single-arm DB Rows
    35kg x 4 x 12

D) DB Incline Bench
    22kg x 4 x 8

Hadn't expected the chance to do anything today so caught up on bench. Best AMRAP at 70kg was 9 so happy with that and with no slow reps. Was the strongest and tightest benching I've done in aaaages. The break saw off the shoulder niggle too.

Triceps were being carved up by the Grim Reaper after skullcrushers so dropped weight for DB inclines.

• Advertisement

Sunday 25/10/2015

A) Deadlifts
    150kg x 6 x 5

B) Decline Sit ups
    (45s rest)
    +20kg x 5 x 15

C1) Front Squat
    70kg x 5 x 10
    (60s rest)
    70kg x 7

C2) Trap bar Shrugs
    105kg x 5 x 12

D) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Rows
    100kg x 4 x 15

DLs weren't what I'd hoped for after last week. Getting into good starting position but when I pump the hips to get more tension, I start with them too high. Not all the time but the inconsistency is frustrating.

Front squats felt better towards the last couple of sets. Eyes up more had a lot to do with it.

Racks were busy so some waiting so didn't get to do everything I'd intended but only lost Good Mornings I suppose.

Given the week that it was, happy enough to get through it with some positives and some other stuff to work on.

Wednesday 28/10/2015

A1) Face Pulls
    5 x 14

A2) DB Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 5 x 13

B) Squat
    102.5kg x 5 X 12
    (60s rest)
    102.5kg x 7

C1) NG Pull Ups
    9, 10, 9, 10

C2) GHRs
    +5kg x 19, 19, 15, 12

Was in no fit state to train yesterday so pushed it back a day. Sleep, glorious sleep!!

Happy with squats. 8 months ago I managed 13 reps at 100kg in an AMRAP set after 2x5 so it feels like things moving in the right direction.

First time squatting with bar that had no centre knurling - not a fan. Felt it move a little a couple of times.

Had to wait a bit at start do being short on time at the end I went with GHRs instead of RDLs. My hamstrings won't thank me for it. Well, not the next couple of days.

Left forearm was sore and tight during hammer curls. Not sure what the issue is but only copped it when mg left elbow was sore on Sunday. A lot of massaging later and was much better. But still needs some more TLC.

Friday 30/10/2015

A) Split Squats
    65kg x 4 x 12/12

B) Bench
    71kg x 5 x 8

C1) Skullcrushers
    27.5kg x 3 x 15
    27.5kg x 16

C2) Single-arm DB Rows
    35kg x 3 x 12/12
    35kg x 13/13

Benches taken so started with split squats. Grand.

Benching didn't feel as sweet as last week. I didn't feel particularly comfortable or stable. And could feel it in my triceps waaaayyy too quickly so gonna chalk it down as one of those days.
    But just about got it done. Same again next time but hopefully done better and more easily.

Sunday 1/11/2015

A) Deadlifts
    150kg x 6 x 5

B1) Front Squat
    70kg x 5 x 10
    (60s rest)
    70kg x 6
    (60s rest)
    70kg x 5

B2) Trap bar Shrugs
    105kg x 5 x 12

C1) Barbell Rows
    70kg x 4 x 10

C2) DB OHPs
    17.5kg x 4 x 12

Deadlift started out terribly. Nothing felt good about the 1st set. Started focussing more on what I felt my body shape was for 2nd set and it was easier and better. Thank f**k. Turned out the 1st set felt the toughest. Last set was one of the best.

Front squats were ok but really tired towards the end. Or rather my lats did.

Tuesday 3/11/2015

A) Squat
    105kg x 5 X 12

B1) RDLs
    100kg x 5 x 12

B2) Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 5 x 13

C) NG Pull Ups
    (<120s rest)
    9, 8, 8, 6

The extra 2.5kg in last week's squats felt much heavier than that on 1st set. But 2nd set felt strong and I was back in the game. Rep max at 105 was 9 but I've done 8 at 115 so probably should have had more at 105. But volume PR if nothing else.

Thought I'd missed on rep 10 of 4th set but looked back and it was rep 13. WOOF! Didn't go for extra set after 60s rest today cos sleep at an all time low so not risking an injury.

Drop in pull ups down to tired lats after RDLs but I expected that. Dropped face pulls cos no time.

Buzzin' after the squats.

Wednesday 4/11/2015

A) Bench
    71kg x 5 x 8

B) CGBP
    63.5kg x 4 x 8

C) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Seated Rows
    (90s rest)
    100kg x 5 x 12

D) Cable Overhead Tricep Extensions
    3 x 15 - rope attachment, alternated with...
    3 x 15 - straight bar

Benching felt much stronger than last week (when last 2 sets were 6+2). No danger of a missed rep today and shorter rests - stuck to 3 mins - than last week. CGBP felt solid.

Was stupidly busy so C and D weren't what I'd planned but they'll do.

Felt pretty tired today after yesterday. I had planned to train tomorrow but I think it would be more sensible to rest. Especially as it'd mean training before work and cutting sleep.

Friday 6/11/2015

A) Deadlifts
    155kg x 3 x 5

B) Front Squat
    60kg x 8
    75kg x 5
    85kg x 1
    95kg x 1

C) BB OHP
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    55kg x 3 x 1

D) Pull Ups (palms forward)
    (<90s rest)
    8, 8, 8, 8

Started to feel light headed on 4th set of DLs so stopped and said I'd cut the volume today and just messed about. Didn't fancy injuring myself a few hours before heading away for weekend.

Was grand to go a little heavier but without trying for too heavy. Pointless anyway cos haven't done anything at 90%+ in so long.

Anyway, food → flight → festivities

Enjoy :) I would murder for a weekend away at this stage. Can't see it happening anytime soon ha, ha.

ninamc wrote: »
    Enjoy :) I would murder for a weekend away at this stage. Can't see it happening anytime soon ha, ha.

Was a stag so very little R&R :)

Reefed my back catching a falling brother and it's still not great so gonna go to physio ASAP and I have a feeling I'll have an enforced break from squats and deads.

Ah ****e, hope it's nothing serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

Was a stag so very little R&R :)

Reefed my back catching a falling STRIPPER and it's still not great so gonna go to physio ASAP and I have a feeling I'll have an enforced break from squats and deads.

Truthed that for you

COH wrote: »
    Truthed that for you

:D

Nah, sure she was only a slip of a thing so catching her was no bother.

Tuesday 10/11/2015

A) NG Pull Ups
    (120s rest)
    9, 9, 10, 12

B) Bench
    72.5kg x 2 x 8
    72.5kg x (6+2)
    72.5kg x (7+1)
    72.5kg x (6+2)

C) CGBP
    60kg x 4 x 8

D) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Row
    (90s rest)
    105kg x 3 x 12
    105kg x 15

E) C2 Intervals
    3 rounds: 500m row, 60s rest

1:38.4
    1:40.6
    1:42.3

Felt better than expected 2 sets into benching and then nosedived. Rep PR at 72.5 on bench is 8 so it wasn't a terrible performance. Dropped back the weight on CGBP for today though rather than be stupid about it. Just as well it wasn't heavy cos got a dirty cramp towards end of 2nd set.

The weekend caught right up on me midway through last row. Knew during 1st round if would be brutal. 1st round I was really steady on pace though and it's usually my worst for pacing stroke right.

Wednesday 11/11/2015

5.63 km run in 25:17

Haven't been out for a 5k+ run since the Docklands 5k in the summer and ever since the DCM, I've been thinking about whether I'd do one last marathon.

The main obstacle being that I have no intention of doing the kind of running training that you should do because I just don't enjoy running training all that much. There may be other forms of cardio but it would be secondary to the weight training purely because I enjoy that.

I'll do a 10k run in the new year and see how that goes. I would be confident of doing that in 50 mins and probably look at doing a 15/16km run between then and a half marathon in the summer. If I managed a half in 1 hr 50, I would consider a lash at the marathon because it would be an indicator I could do it in 4 hours.

However, I'm aware that I am probably kidding myself and that I will get a rude awakening along the way.

It's been so long since my last, I've forgotten the suffering of the last few miles. But the last one ended with me walking much of the last 6 miles because something happened with my right knee and I trudged home disappointed.

Anyway, it will probably never come to pass because I might cop myself on but part of me hopes it does.

Thursday 12/11/2015

A1) Seated DB OHP
    (90s rest)
    17.5kg x 5 x 15
    17.5kg x 12

A2) Seated Hamstring Curls
    85kg x 6 x 15

B1) Front Plate Raises
    10kg x 5 x 17

B2) KB Split Squats
    20kg x 5 x 15/15

B3) Face Pulls
    5 x 14

C1) Side Plank
    5 x 60s e/s

C2) NG Pull Ups
    8, 8, 8, 8, 13

Had the morning off to go to doctor so got this done before work.

Felt like ages since I'd done DB OHPs...just felt heavier than expected at the start but ploughed on.

Only one 24kg KB for aplit squats so just used the 20s for more reps. Didn't want to so them with the bar just yet. Might take a bit more time before squats with a bar.

Side planks burned today. Thought the stopwatch was slowing down.

Left it til the last set of pull ups to try going beyond 8 cos just felt like I wouldn't have much so to get 13 was quite a surprise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They have 17.5kg DBs in the gym? Must be nice to have such incremental ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Don't tell me you have to jump from 15kg - 20kg?? :eek::eek::eek: Maybe someone stole the 17.5 in your gym?? :D

Yup. The DBs go up in 2.5kg increments.

They used have a set of Deija DBs that went from 16kg to 38kg in 2kg increments but a lot of those have been replaced/removed since the new DBs came.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh mine go up in either 2kg or 5kg depending on the weights. Those Deija ones would be great to have.

• Advertisement

Sunday 15/11/2015

A) Front Squats
    (105s rests)
    60kg x 6 x 12
    (30s rest)
    60kg x 7

B) Incline DB Press
    (90s rest)
    25kg x 4 x 8
    25kg x 9

C1) GHRs
    (120s rest)
    4 x 20

C2) Reverse Flys
    6kg x 4 x 12

D1) Decline Sit Ups
    (90s rest)
    +15kg x 5 x 15

D2) Hammer Curls
    15kg x 5 x 9

E) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Row
    (90-120s rest)
    107.5kg x 4 x 12
    107.5kg x 14

The back has been improving but I can kinda feel it when I hinge forward. Not sore but just feel something. So just did front squats and dropped the weight. Felt good so high reps felt fine. Plenty more in the tank but wasn't going to push it too far. Enough volume there to keep ticking over.

Didn't push the weight - well, just with anything that might affect my lower back - but didn't give myself too easy of a time of it.

Will just keep an eye on how the back feels but hopeful of a return to back squats towards the end of the week ahead.

Advertisement