Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thursday 24/12/2015

A) Bench
    67.5kg x 3 x 8
    67.5kg x 12

B) CGBP
    62.5kg x 3 x 8
    62.5kg x 9

C1) Face Pulls 
    4 x 14

C2) Cuban Press
    5kgs x 4 x 8

D1) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Rows
    (90s rest)
    117.5kg x 3 x 12
    117.5kg x 14

D2) DB Front Raises (neutral grip)
    8kgs x 3 x 10
    8kgs x 13

The bench didn't feel quite as strong as normal bit I knew it probably wouldn't with the training pile-up the last few daysand my tricepsfeeling tired. I hit the target on the AMRAP set despite my left hip cramping after a couple of reps so had to leave left leg loose. Saw out the 4 sets of CGBP so that was decent.

The cuban press was a killer with a 5s eccentric. Stayed on 5kg DBs to get the movement right but it's not like I'd be jumping too high anyway. Been trying to add a bit more shoulder work in so it was good to try it out.

Saturday 26/12/2015 

A1) Front Squats
    75kg x 4 x 8
    75kg x 10

A2) Trap Bar Shrugs
    105kg x 5 x 12

B) Deadlift
    150kg x 4 x 3

C1) GHRs
    4 x 20

C2) BB Rows
    67.5kg x 3 x 10
    67.5kg x 12

D1) Decline Sit Ups
    (90-120s rest)
    +22.5kg x 5 x 15

D2) Reverse Flys
    7.5kg x 5 x 11

Was comfortable enough with the front squats and given that the previous best (sets/reps) at 75 was 4x5, 1x6 so pretty happy with today's numbers.

Last rep of 2nd set of DLs was a bit loose but satisfied with them overall. Not perfect but improving.

Monday 28/12/2015

A) Squats
    102.5kg x 3 x 8
    102.5kg x 15

B) NG Pull Ups
    6 mins, AMRAP: 50

C1) RDLs
    90-120s rest)
    90kg x 5 x 10

C2) Lateral Raises
    10kg x 4 x 10
    10kg x 13

D1) EZ Bar Curls
    30kg x 4 x 13

D2) DB Front Raises (neutral grip)
    9kg x 4 x 10 e/s

Squats just weren't consistent enough today. Depth was ok but only just. That said, it was all much improved for last set which was by far and away the best. Last 5/6 reps were awful cos I had pins and needles in both forearms and could barely feel the bar in my hands.15 had been the target so I kept going. Probably had another 2 reps anyway but it would be too much of a risk of losing the bat from my hands cos I couldn't feel it properly.

Made the 50 pull ups! That was all that was in the tank.

Ok session. Would feel much better if squats hadn't been so inconsistent for the first 3 sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Made the 50 pull ups!

wat

bluewolf wrote: »
    wat

It took about 4 weeks to get that extra 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just boggling at the idea of being able for 50 pull ups :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    Just boggling at the idea of being able for 50 pull ups :D

It's just sets of 5 til I can't do 5 anymore and then try sets of 3. Then it was singles. So you accummulate more than you think you might have. That's how I found it the first time I did them against the clock.

And they're with a neutral grip rather than proper pull ups which makes it easier.

Tuesday 29/12/2015

A) Bench
    70kg x 3 x 8
    70kg x 11

B) CGBP
    65kg x 3 x 8
    65kg x 9

C1) Skullcrushers
    32.5kg x 4 x 10

C2) DB Single Arm Rows
    35kg x 3 x 10 e/s
    35kg x 12 e/s

D1) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Rows
    (90s rest)
    120kg x 3 x 10
    120kg x 11

D2) Cuban Press
    6kgs x 4 x 8

Benching was fine. Shoulder felt a little funky from lying on it all night but it was fine once I put it out of my head and loosened up. The 11 is probably a rep PR. Low percentage but I know it's a decent pointer. CGBP felt strong as well.

The burn off those Cuban presses!

All in all, that went better than I expected this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

120kg x 11

D2) Cuban Press
    6kgs x 4 x 8

Gave these a go today - trying to ramp up my shoulder prehab and rehab as I have had a bad injury the past few months, so doing stuff like light bottoms up KB presses and lots of band work.

Said to myself, I will go "really light" on the cuban press to get the form down right first etc. as it is new to me. Picked up a 2kg, almost laughing at myself, 9 or 10 reps later... well.... :eek::eek: Some burn off them alright. Thanks for giving me the idea - feels like a great one to add in :pac:

Gave these a go today - trying to ramp up my shoulder prehab and rehab as I have had a bad injury the past few months, so doing stuff like light bottoms up KB presses and lots of band work.

Said to myself, I will go "really light" on the cuban press to get the form down right first etc. as it is new to me. Picked up a 2kg, almost laughing at myself, 9 or 10 reps later... well.... :eek::eek: Some burn off them alright. Thanks for giving me the idea - feels like a great one to add in :pac:

Credit to conzy. Kept the eccentric to a good 5s and shoulders ignited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Then thanks Conzy :D:D :pac::pac:
    Yeah, am doing slow eccentrics for a lot of my assistance work/other stuff now. It's a killer, even with dropping the weight, but hopefully helps in the long term!

Sunday 3/1/2016

A1) Front Squats
    76kg x 4 x 8
    76kg x 10

A2) Plate Shrugs
    25kgs each hand x 5 x 12

B) Deadlift
    160kg x 3 x 3

C1) DB OHPs
    (90-120s rest)
    20kg x 5 x 10

C2) Seated Hamstring Curls
    87.5kg x 4 x 15
    87.5kg x 19

D1) Decline Sit Ups
    +22.5kg x 3 x 15

D2) BB Rows
    70kg x 3 x 10

Was supposed to train Friday and today but midweek was spent with my head down the jacks so couldn't train Friday. Brought DB OHPs into today's session.

The 1st couple of sets of front squats felt heavier than expected but was ok by 3rd set. Felt alright overall. Will be moving them to after DLs for next while cos my quads felt tired on DLs.

First set of DLs my hips were starting way too high. Second was better but it'd be hard not to be. Found it hard to try and focus on my setup today for whatever reason. Just couldn't.

Had to cut D's short because time.

Everything either felt tired or heavy today. Heavier than it should anyway. Couldn't concentrate. These days happen I suppose. Onwards and upwards.

Tuesday 5/1/2016

A) Pull Ups
    90s rest)
    8, 8, 8, 8.7

B) Squats
    107.5kg x 3 x 8
    107.5kg x 14

C1) RDLs
    90-120s rest)
    92.5kg x 4 x 10

C2) Lateral Raises
    10kg x 3 x 12
    10kg x 13

D1) Skullcrushers
    32.5kg x 3 x 10
    32.5kg x 12

D2) DB Single arm Rows
    35kg x 3 x 10 e/s
    35kg x 11 e/s

Kept rest between sets of (proper) pull ups shorter than usual so happy enough to get the numbers I did.

Squats were better than last week but it still felt shy of good. Something just felt a touch off but not too far off, to be fair. Felt better towards the latter sets.

Was supposed to be sets of 12 on skulls. Brain fart. Did think the last few reps on each set felt much easier than the last day.

Anyway. Saul Goodman

Thursday 7/1/2016

A) Bench
    72.5kg x 3 x 8
    72.5kg x 8

B) CGBP
    65kg x 4 x 8

C1) EZ Bar Curls
    30kg x 3 x 12
    30kg x 13

C2) DB Front Raises
    9kg e/s x 4 x 10

D) Face Pulls
    4 x 12

E) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Rows
    120kg x 4 x 12

The benching felt sh*tty from the off and it didn't help that the first set and a half was a bit messy. Bar moved about a bit and it took more out of me to get those first 3 sets done. Last rep took an eternity to lock out. Disappointing to make that much harder than it needed to be

Decided to drop the CGBP from 67.5kg to 65kg as a result to at least make 4x8. Wise decision. Only just made it.

I dif cross my mind to just leave at that stage but stubbornness.

I was supposed to be going in the morning but frankly I need the sleep more right now than the split squats and OHPs.

Lovely sleep...

Sunday 10/1/2016

A) Deadlift
    170kg x 3 x 1

B) Front Squat
    75kg x 4 x 8
    75kg x 10

C1) DB OHP
    (90s rest)
    20kg x 5 x 10

C2) Seated Hamstring Curls
    90kg x 5 x 15

D1) Russian Twists
    +25kg x 4 x 20/20

D2) Barbell Rows
    70kg x 4 x 10

E1) RDLs
    92.5kgkg x 4 x 10

E2) Upright Rows
    30kg x 4 x 10

Staying in bed on Friday morning was undoubtedly the right decision. Even got to sleep for all of those 45 minutes I wouldn't have had. Bonus!

DLs were fine but 150 felt heavy. Had to work on not doubting being able to make the 170 because I haven't gone that heavy since June or so. But it felt better than the 150. All 3 were smooth enough reps.  

Dropped back to 75 from 76 on front squats because I was doing them after the DLs and wasn't sure how much that would have taken from front squats. Got harder earlier alright but pretty happy to get the 4x8,1x10 at 75.

DB OHPs were meant to be later in the session but didn't check and didn't think and started into them. They were a struggle. I won't forget again.

Pretty satisfied with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If a person was doing upright rows where would you stick them in a push/pull/legs split.

JJayoo wrote: »
    If a person was doing upright rows where would you stick them in a push/pull/legs split.

Well, my take on it is I'd be more inclined to have them on the pull split because it's more lateral than front delt with some trap involvement. I use a shoulder-width grip.

But I suppose you could make a case for push day as well because it works the shoulders.

But I just wanted to try it today to see if it might be better to include instead of lateral raises in the short term.

Monday 11/1/2016

A) Squats
    112.5kg x 3 x 6
    112.5kg x 10

B1) Pull Ups
    9, 9, 10, 9

B2) Paused Squats (2s pause)
    82.5kg x 4 x 8

C1) Cable Overhead Tricep Extension
    4 x 15

C2) DB Single arm Rows
    35kg x 3 x 10 e/s
    35kg x 11 e/s

Bit of a rejig this week because I won't be able to train Thurs-Sat.

Spent the first half of the day wondering if I was indeed going to get sick at my desk but thankfully it passed after lunch. Said I'd go in to squat and I'd know very quickly if it was better to leave it.

Felt ok as it turned out. Last set felt the best. They still felt a touch off...maybe thinking too much about it made me amplify it.

The paused squats burned. Unpleasant.

All the benches were being used so I did cable tricep overhead extensions to get the triceps working at least

All in all, to go from feeling ill to getting to train is a win. Enjoyed that.

Sunday 17/1/2016

A) Front Squat
    77.5kg x 4 x 8
    77.5kg x 10

B) Bench
    75kg x 3 x 6
    75kg x 7

C) Deadlift
    150kg x 3 x 3

D) Paused Bench (2s pause)
    60kg x 4 x 8

I had to rejig training this past week but then Littl'un got pretty sick so today was first time I got a chance since Monday. Will hopefully rerun what I was supposed to do this coming week so today was just a mash-up of the main lift stuff that I didn't get to do.

The front squats felt better than I expected. Felt really strong. A volume PR at 77.5...as it was at 76 a couple of weeks ago and at 75 the week before that. They're feeling good. Form is holding up right through too...well, except for last 2 reps of last set today when the lats just tired and elbows dropped.

Knew that lats and triceps might be a bit more tired going into benching but not a biggie today. Expected to struggle to complete the last set of 6 so was happy to get 7. Hopefully improve when I go at it properly new week.

DLs didn't look as bad as I thought but not happy with them. In hindsight they were a bit rushed.

Gave a good 2s pause on paused bench. Oh how they burned

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

Hope little un is all better. Nothing worse than seeing them poorly.

• Advertisement

Monday 18/1/2016

A) Pull Ups
    9, 9, 10, 9

B) DB Single arm Rows
    35kg x 4 x 10 e/s

C) Squats
    112.5kg x 3 x 6
    112.5kg x 11

D) Paused Squats (2s pause)
    85kg x 4 x 8

E) Cable Overhead Tricep Extension
    4 x 15

Hadn’t intended to train until tomorrow but opportunity knocked and with the way things have been lately, I took it in case I might not get to tomorrow.

All the racks were in use when I went in so what I had intended to do became a little fragmented but I got through most of what I wanted to do – except I ended up having to do cable tricep extensions instead of skullcrushers.

Felt a bit leggy during the day from the deadlifts and front squats on Sunday and thought it might affect the squats but it didn’t. Squats felt better in the latter sets.

Paused squats really burned. I shortened rests to 90s because was running short on time. I really like them…despite the inferno in my quads. Made sure to go as deep as possible so that I could use them to try build strength out of the hole. Also, they should be good for improving my position at the bottom of the squat.

Wednesday 20/1/2016

A) Bench
    75kg x 4 x 6

B1) Face Pull
    (90s rest)
    4 x 13

B2) Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 4 x 12

C) BB OHP
    (120s rest)
    40kg x 3 x 8
    40kg x 9

D) Lateral Raises
    (<90s rest)
    10kgs x 3 x 12
    10kgs x 13

E) DB Front Raises (neutral grip)
    (60s rest)
    9kg each hand x 4 x 10
    9kgs x 13

Had chest DOMS like I haven't had in a long time after Sunday. I'm guessing it was the paused bench

Started to ease a little today so I told myself it was more a mental thing than physical.

It wasn't. The third set it started to get sore and like something might rip. Rightly or wrongly I finished the 4th set. Decided to skip the paused and incline close grip benching. Be grand for next week so no point in being stupid about it and I did what I wanted to on Sunday anyway. Bit I really didn't think I'd still have DOMS today...

So did a wee bit of shoulder stuff instead.

Meh.

Balls deep in squattin' DOMS an' all, just to top it off.

Saturday 24/1/2016

A) Deadlift
    150kg x 3 x 3

B) Front Squat
    77.5kg x 5 x 8

C) Rack Pulls (4" below knee)
    125kg x 5 x 8 

D) DB OHP
    20kg x 4 x 10
    20kg x 12

E) Wide-Grip Plate-loaded Rows
    120kg x 5 x 10

DLs were alright. Improving. Worked on trying to get hips lower and keep tension in the bar. Sometimes the two don't happen together so making a conscious effort to make sure they did.

Front squats were hard enough from the start...well, compared to when I did them first last week. Lats were starting to flag for the last set so had to really work hard to keep elbows up. Happy enough to get it done going after the DLs.

I think it might be the first time I knocked out more than 10 OHPs with the 20s. On the last of 5 sets anyway.

Gym was way busier than I expected before midday and ended up not having the space/time to finish what I wanted to do but got pretty much all the main exercises. Except had to do the plate-loaded instead of BB rows.

Solid session.

Monday 25/1/2016

A1) Skullcrushers
    32.5kg x 3 x 12
    32.5kg x 15

A2) Pull Ups
    4 x 7

B1) Squats
    116kg x 3 x 6
    116kg x 9

B2) Pull Ups
    4 x 7

C1) Paused Squats (2s pause)
    87.5kg x 4 x 8

C2) Pull Ups
    4 x 7

D) RDLs
    97.5kg x 4 x 10

Was looking forward to squatting all day. Butterflies in the stomach job. The most I've squatted up around this weight for a few sets has been 2x3, 1x6/7 (at 115/117.5) so mentally it was a step up. Didn't help that 40 felt heavy starting the warm up.

Was looking forward to squatting all day. Butterflies in the stomach job. Didn't help that that the 40 felt heavy in the warm up.

But it passed and after the first set I was dropping with more confidence and as a consequence the squats were deeper and better. Hit my target for the last set too.

All kinds of upper back DOMS after the pulling on Saturday

Wednesday 27/1/2016

A) Bench
    76kg x 3 x 6
    76kg x 7

B) Paused Bench (2s pause)
    62.5kg x 4 x 8

C1) Close- Grip Plate-loaded Seated Rows
    115kg x 4 x 12

C2) Face Pull
    (90s rest)
    4 x 13

D) Incline Bench
    50kg x 8
    52.5kg x 3 x 8

E) Pec Deck Flyes
    4 x 12

Bench was fine, which was nice after last week's DOMS débàcle. Bar path was solid enough from the start. It's getting more consistently right.

Paused bench burns.

Incline bench was grand except for the fixed incline bench being poxy. 

Friday 29/1/2016

A1) DB OHP
    20kgs x 4 x 10
    20kgs x 13

A2) Seated Hamstring Curls
    80kg x 5 x 15

B1) RussianTwists
    +25kg x 3 x 20/20
    +25kg x 22/22

B2) Reverse Flyes
    7kgs x 4 x 12

Woke before the alarm so did a quick pre-work session to make sure I got a few exercises done - in case I'm tight for time tomorrow/Sunday - without taxing myself too much ahead of it.

Saturday 24/1/2016

A) Deadlift
    160kg x 3 x 2

B) Front Squat
    78.5kg x 5 x 8

C) Rack Pulls (4" below knee)
    127.5kg x 4 x 8 

D) Shrugs
    40kg DBs x 20
    45kg DBs x 4 x 15

E) NG Pull Ups
    +10kg x 5 x 5

First set of DLs was ok but then I tried to shorten the rime I spent getting into position once I had my hands on the bar and just ended p not getting my hips low enough. I'm not getting the lats going enough either. Annoying AF.

Front squats were heavy from the off but kept form tight enough apart from maybe 2 reps so happy enough with how it went. Sets of 6 next week so will probably go for 82.5!and see how that feels. Should be grand so I'll know for the week after anyway.

Something started to fell a bit sore inside my scap on the left side during 1st set of rack pulls. Said I'd see if it got better and I thought it had but the 4th set was a slog and it was a distraction so some sloppy reps so I stopped there.

Wasn't too bad but dropped the rows. Was fine during pull ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

You've made fantastic progress since starting this log, congrats man. Would you mind if I asked what your weight and height is?

You've made fantastic progress since starting this log, congrats man. Would you mind if I asked what your weight and height is?

Cheers man. To be fair though, I was in a different place (ED) and was only about 67 kg. I'm 77.5 now and 183cm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Cheers man. To be fair though, I was in a different place (ED) and was only about 67 kg. I'm 77.5 now and 183cm.

Even bigger props in that case. Exact same stats as me so, although I'm probably closer to 76kg right now. Your DL is way better that mine, and I'd say we're about even on squats and bench. I've been lifting longer than you, but I train for running 400m so my main focus isn't strength.

Keep on keepin' on, man.

Advertisement