Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Even bigger props in that case. Exact same stats as me so, although I'm probably closer to 76kg right now. Your DL is way better that mine, and I'd say we're about even on squats and bench. I've been lifting longer than you, but I train for running 400m so my main focus isn't strength.

Keep on keepin' on, man.

I think I'm physically set up to be better at DLs than anything else though.

I just like training to be honest so there's no actual focus other than getting stronger but I keep a rein on the weight cos I intend to get back playing football with my team down the line.

Appreciate the comment, fella. Tis rare I take stock of the positive changes I've made and you've prompted me too and it's good :)

Monday 1/2/2016

A1) Skullcrushers
    32.5kg x 4 x 13

A2) Pull Ups
    4 x 8

B1) Squats
    120kg x 3 x 5
    120kg x 8

B2) Pull Ups
    4 x 8

C1) Paused Squats (2s pause)
    92.5kg x 4 x 6

C2) Pull Ups
    9, 9, 8, 7, 5

D) RDLs
    100kg x 4 x 8

Woke up feeling shítty but I said I'd train and see if it'd end up being one of those surprisingly decent sessions.

I haven't squatted 120+ too often and I've only squatted it for reps across sets a few times but never for more than 10 total reps.

BUT....rather than let that psyche me out, I told myself it was only 4kg more than last week and I had been comfortable then.

1st set was solid. Depth was good and that bred confidence. 2nd set was a touch better. Last 3 reps of last set felt great. Dropped at a lovely, confident pace and popped back up nicely. Might have hadanother rep there.

Did a 5th set of pull ups with C's to get over the 100 mark.

Felt themuscle inside the left scap at me again on RDLs so will skip horizontal pulling til the weekend

Really happy with the squats. The best thing is knowing the depth is there. I went heavier before but started videoing and I know I wasn't near depth back then.

Buzzin'.

Wednesday 3/2/2016

A) Bench
    77.5kg x 3 x 5
    77.5kg x 5

B) Paused Bench (2s pause)
    65kg x 4 x 6

C1) DB Front Raises (palms down) 
    9kgs x 4 x 10

C2) Lateral Raises
    10kg x 4 x 12

D) Incline Bench
    52.5kgs x 4 x 8

Bench was ok in the sense that it wasn't a complete disaster but it was like I was completely tuned out and there was nothing tight about setup or execution. 6 had been minimum target for last set but 6th rep just wasn't happening.

Dropped all things horizontal pulling related because gonna rest that for a few days.

Lame.

Saturday 6/2/2016

A) Deadlift
    170kg x 2 x 2

B) Front Squat
    80kg x 5 x 8

C) Rack Pulls (4" below knee)
    135kg x 4 x 6

D1) DB OHPs
    20kg x 3 x 11
    20kg x 10
    20kg x 12

D2) GHRs
    5 x 20

First top set of DLs was ugly. Tried tinkering with my setup a little and...well, it didn't work. I ended up thinking too much about what I was trying to do and not feeling where I wanted to be. Did that for the second set and it was and improvement. Need to work on consistency in setting up. That's something I will be getting some help with.

2nd set of front squats felt horrible. Wasn't in middle of rack and clipped it on first 2 reps and that threw me off a touch. Grip had moved a touch as well and thought I'd snap a finger on last rep. Had to work hard to get any negativity out of my head before the next set and the last 3 sets were solid.

Getting the 5x8 with 80kg felt like a bit of a milestone. It's not really but I've beverage done many reps in amy sets at 80+ and 5RM is 86 so moving in the right direction. 

Didn't think I'd have a full 5x8 with the 22.5s for DB OHP so went for 5x11 with 20s. Missed 11th rep on 4th set but got 12 on last set.

Monday 8/2/2016

A1) Squats
    123.5kg x 3 x 5
    123.5kg x 8

A2) Pull Ups
    4 x 8

B1) Paused Squats (2s pause)
    95kg x 4 x 6

B2) Pull Ups
    4 x 8

C) RDLs
    102.5kg x 4 x 8

Last week's squatting did wonders for my mindset going in. Mentally, 123.5 didn't feel as big a deal as 120kg did last week. Felt if I just concentrated on my technique I'd hit my target.

Last focus a bit on 2nd and 3rd sets. Not in a big way but got back on track for last set which was the best. Previous best at 123.5kg was 2x2, 1x4.

Feeling good about taking down the PR of 132.5kg in a few weeks.

Ran out of time to do DB OHP but I'll get them done later in the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Is that your one rep PR? If so you will piss and **** all over it going of your current squats

132.5 is the 1RM at the minute.

Pretty hopeful I'll add a few kg to it alright but I assumed before and ended up disappointed.

But the squatting has felt so much better than any other time lately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Unreal work on the squats. Your defo gonna smash that PR. :) When you planning on testing?

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Unreal work on the squats. Your defo gonna smash that PR. :) When you planning on testing?

I've 4 more weeks to go in the program so I should have passed the old PR before I test. Depends how it goes but conservatively, the next four weeks would be at 127.5, 130, 132.5 and 135.

Probably test around the week of St. Patty's Day.

Wednesday 10/2/2016

A) Bench
    80kg x 3 x 5
    80kg x 6

67.5kg x 4 x 6

C1) DB Front Raises (palms down)
    9kgs x 4 x 10

C2) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

D) DB Incline Bench
    25kgs x 8, 8, 6, 6

Spent most or the day wondering if I'd f**ked my knee up - slipped at home and whatever way my leg went, my right knee was sore. Stairs and cycling were uncomfortable this morning so lots of icing all day. More of the same tomorrow and praying to the knee gods that it will clear up sharpish.

On to the benching. Thought I would be revising to sets of 4 after the first set - largely because last week was disappointing - but it was a lot more comfortable than I expected. 5RM was 80 coming in so happy to hit it for 6 after 3x5.

All benching felt good today which was great after last week's sh*tfest which had had me question if I had made any progress at all in the past few months

• Advertisement

Saturday 13/2/2016

A) Deadlift
    180kg x 3 x 1

B) DB OHPs
    22kg x 5 x 10

137.5kg x 4 x 6

D1) Close-Grip Plate-loaded Seated Rows
    110kg x 5 x 10

D2) Lateral Raises
    10kg x 5 x 12

E) NG Pull Ups
    +11.25kg x 5 x 5

Knee improved a good bit the last few days but I wasn't confident it was close enough to 100% to front squat so I decided to leave them and give it a couple more days til I squat on Monday.

I'm just not sure about my DL any more and the more I think about setting up when I stand at the bar, the more it throws me off. Not engaging my lats hard enough either.

Had planned on sets of 8 with 22.5 DBs for OHP but no 22.5s so went with 22s. The first set felt good so I went for 10 on it and had a couple in the tank. So I said If shoot for sets of 10. Really didn't expect to get all 5 sets of 10.

Knee felt fine throughout. Forgot there had been an issue with it which is positive at least

Tuesday 16/2/2016

A1) Squats
    127.5kg x 3 x 4
    127.5kg x 7

A2) Pull Ups
    3 x 8 (completely forgot to go after 2nd set of squats)

97.5kg x 4 x 6

B2) Pull Ups
    4 x 8

C) RDLs
    107.5kg x 4 x 6

Was supposed to do this yesterday but couldn't get to gym. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise - got to rest the knee another day. Didn't feel 100% but just felt more like a niggle that shouldn't affect me.

It was originally supposed to be 3x3, 1x3+ but my rep max at 127.5 so I decided to go 3x4, 1x4 + more for mental/confidence reasons tbh.

1st wasn't great. Wasn't keeping my chest up enough. Best sets were last 2. Had 7 reps in last set as a target going in so satisfied with that.

Paused squats burn. Another thing that burns: Hell. How apt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Saturday 13/2/2016

A) Deadlift
    180kg x 3 x 1

great DL !! :D

arayess wrote: »
    great DL !! :D

Well...ugly more than great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Well...ugly more than great :)

it's all winning.

arayess wrote: »
    it's all winning.

I know what you mean - if it was a PR I'd be ok with it but at ~90% it should have been better.

Wednesday 17/2/2016

A) Bench
    82.5kg x 3 x 4
    82.5kg x 5

70kg x 4 x 5

C) Close-Grip Incline Bench
    55kgs x 4 x 8

D1) DB Front Raises (neutral grip)
    9kgs x 3 x 10
    9kgs x 12

D2) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

Same as squat, had originally planned to do 3x3, 1x3+ but was feeling good about benching after last week so did 3x4, 1x4+ because 82.5kg was my 3RM coming in and felt I could take down sets of 4. Wanted 5 for last set so was happy enough to hit it.

Paused bench felt solid. Really tried to keep the pause out to 2s ro really reduce the stretch reflex.

Saturday 20/2/2016

A) Deadlift
    160kg x 3 x 3

B) Front Squats
    85kg x 4 x 6

140kg x 4 x 5

E) DB OHPs
    22.5kg x 3 x 10
    22.5kg x 2 x 9

E) 2" Deficit Deadlift 
    130kg x 6
    135kg x 3 x 6

DLs felt strangely good to start with but then just went back to feeling only ok - never really felt like my setup was right. Everything just felt like it was a touch off. Was ok but just never felt I was spot on. Same on rack pulls.

On the flip side, deficit deads felt nice from the start so added 5kg.

Given that my 5RM is 86 for front squat, happy enough to get through 4x6 at 85kg. Even happier when I finished the last rep. They were tough. The last 2 sets felt better than the first two...except for the very last rep which I nearly missed in a weird way that involved doing the worm standing up... Had switched off a rep too soon and lost tightness.

Monday 22/2/2016

A1) Squats
    131kg x 3 x 3
    131kg x 5

A2) Pull Ups
    4 x 9

101kg x 4 x 5

B2) Pull Ups
    4 x 8

C) RDLs
    110kg x 4 x 5

Ropey stomach all day. Couple of motillium and was ok.

First 2 sets of squats were fine. 3rd set wasn't as smooth but wasn't bad. Wanted 5 on last set so was happy to hit that at only 1.5kg shy of my 1RM. And the depth was there. Last time I went at 132.5kg it was a few inches high so in much better shape at this stage.

Made sure to give it the old 1-1000 2-1000 treatment to get a decent pause. They didn't burn as much this week, thank f**k.

Pretty happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Do you have fractional plates in your place?

• Advertisement

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Do you have fractional plates in your place?

In Raw? I think so.

Well, was using mine a few months back and was asked by owner if they were mine and when I said they were he said they had some behind the counter if I was ever stuck. But I haven't seen anyone use them. Or I just assumed the people weightlifting training owned their own

Wednesday 24/2/2016

A) Bench
    85kg x 3 x 3
    85kg x 4

75kg x 4 x 5

C) Incline Bench
    57.5kg x 4 x 8

Bench was fine. Went in expecting it to be - the result of a couple of good recent bench sessions! Wanted to hit 4 on last set. Job done...but it wasn't helped by my right hip cramping on 2nd rep.

Paused bench felt good. Well, 'good' in the sense that I managed to get through it.

Had to finish after Incline bench because I lost time going to the doctor beforehand. I'd have pushed it back to tomorrow but I can't train tomorrow.

Hooj dinner because have to fast be for bloods tomorrow. Possibly a veg PR

Sunday 28/2/2016

A) Deadlift
    170kg x 3 x 2

B) Front Squats
    87.5kg x 3 x 5

145kg x 4 x 5

E) DB OHPs
    22.5kg x 4 x 10
    22.5kg x 9

E) 2" Deficit Deadlift 
    140kg x 4 x 6

DLs were better than the last time at that weight and while they weren't brilliant, it started to feel a little more like it should

Was nice to set a new 5RM PR on first set of front squats, especially since it felt like there was more there. Next week is about setting a new 5RM. I'd take 90 bit hoping to have a run at 92.5 'cause it's my current 3RM.

Rack pulls felt good today. More solid than they have been in a long time. Deficit DLs were grand.

Plus side of being on antibiotics this weekend was not being able to have a drink cos was at a good friend's wedding and training today could potentially have been a near-death experience otherwise.

Decent session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sunday 28/2/2016

Plus side of being on antibiotics this weekend was not being able to have a drink cos was at a good friend's wedding and training today could potentially have been a near-death experience otherwise.

Decent session.

According to QI the whole can't drink because you are on antibiotics is a myth. It was 'invented' to stop people getting drink and in turn looking for the ride while on antibiotics for STIs.

Ya so there

JJayoo wrote: »
    According to QI the whole can't drink because you are on antibiotics is a myth. It was 'invented' to stop people getting drink and in turn looking for the ride while on antibiotics for STIs.

Ya so there

The doctor did mention that, though not quite in those terms, but he did say it was one of the few occasions where it wouldn't be wise to chance your arm.

Unless you like vomiting a lot.

If you drink on Flagyl you'd know all about it.

Feel better soon Alf :)

If you drink on Flagyl you'd know all about it.

Feel better soon Alf :)

Actually it is Flagyl!

I'm grand now inallinanywayaz :)

Tuesday 1/3/2016

A1) Squats
    135kg x 3 x 2
    135kg x 5

A2) Pull Ups
    4 x 9

105kg x 4 x 5

B2) Pull Ups
    2 x 9, 2 x 8

C1) RDLs
    112.5kg x 4 x 5

C2) Reverse Flys
    6kgs x 4 x 12

Focussed on the fact I was comfortable at 131kg last week to get myself in gear mentally rather than think of it as trying to squat heavier than I have before.

4 was target on last set but the 4th rep felt really good - probably better than it looked - so went for 5th.

132.5kg was the PR since Aug/Sept 2014 and I did it maybe 8 months ago but that was a few inches high tbh. The depth this last while has been there.

Next week is last week before testing so we'll see how it goes at the end.

Plenty to work on though and that's to be addressed starting at the end of the month, fingers crossed

Wednesday 2/3/2016

A) Bench
    87.5kg x 3 x 2
    87.5kg x 3

80kg x 4 x 3

C) Incline Bench
    57.5kg x 4 x 8

D) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

E) C2 Intervals
    30s row, 30s rest: 10 rounds
    Each interval 150+ metres

Had to train a few hours later than I'd like and it possibly threw me. Maybe it didn't and I just wasn't focussed regardless. Falling asleep half an hour before I went in was less than ideal.

That said, I hit my target of 3 reps on last set. Could/should have had a 4th but last rep was loose and came down too high and it took too much our of me to go for the 4th.

Plan next week is to double 90 - my current (sh*tty) 1RM - next week but I'll play it by ear. Should be there if I'm tuned in.

Pretty happy with the paused bench too. Good 2s pause and solid reps.

Dropped the front raises cos I tweaked left front delt a little so played safe. Just did some rowing to get the heart rate up without doing anything that would affect Saturday's training.

• Advertisement

Saturday 5/3/2016

A) Front Squats (5RM)
    92.5kg x 5

B) Deadlift
    180kg x 4 x 1

152.kg x 4 x 4

E) DB OHPs
    22.5kg x 5 x 10

E) 2" Deficit Deadlift 
    150kg x 4 x 4

The front squats were more comfortable than I expected and there was room there for another couple of kgs bur today wasn't the day to look for them. New 5RM by 6.5kg though.

DLs were an improvement on the carry on at 180 a few weeks ago. Apart from the 2nd one which I should have stopped and redone properly. The set up doesn't flow like it should though. Looking forward to working on it properly soon.

Advertisement