Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tuesday 8/3/2016

A1) Squats
    138.5kg x 2 x 2
    138.5kg x 3

A2) Pull Ups
    3 x 12

B1) Paused Squats (2s pause)
    105kg x 4 x 5

B2) Pull Ups
    9, 8, 8, 7

C) GHRs
    3 x 20

Felt like sh*t all day but somehow started to feel human again by 3.30. Really didn't think I'd be feeling ok again but it was back on

I can't quite get my head around how I've come to a point where I was confident of hitting doubles at a weight 6kg heavier than what was my 1RM when I started 12 weeks ago.

3rd rep of last set was a bit loose and got caught forward. Ground it out bit sloppy. Cost me a 4th rep or a run at one at least.

Stayed at 105 for paused squats cos wasn't entirely happy with how I came out of the hole for a few last week.

No space for RDLs so did GHRs. 

So next week I'll test, all going well. Up until 5 weeks ago I thought 135 or 137.5 was where I'd max out - the long, long plateau meant I wasn't expecting to increase by much. But when I hit 120kg for 8 in the last set 5 weeks ago, the bar was raised.

Getting 140 would be a big deal for me. I think 145 is doable but we'll see. 

(Poor quality cos it's an old handset)

Thursday 9/3/2016

A) Bench
    90kg x 2 x 2
    90kg x 2

B) Paused Bench (2s pause)
    82.5kg x 3
    80kg x 2 x 3

C) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

D) C2 Intervals
    30s row, 30s rest: 10 rounds
    150+ metres/30s

E) DB Incline Bench
    22.5kgs x 3 x 10

Twice I've gone at 90 in the past and just about ground out a single for a PR but I was actually confident of hitting the doubles today. Might have been a 3rd rep there on 2nd set. There was a single in there after 2nd set - left hip cramped up and the eccentric was all over the gaff so just racked and went again.

Will test it next week. Realistically I don't expect to go beyond 92.5 / 93.5. In hindsight I didn't do enough direct shoulder work and they're the weakest link in my bench. But after being on 90 so long any increase will do for now. All that said, I'll hopefully have a crack at 95.

Then hunt down 100 in the coming months.

Shortage of benches so hopped on C2. Enjoyed that. Then no 25s so did a few sets with 22.5s for last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Surprised I haven't asked this yet but what programme are you following? The progress is impressive. Good work.

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Surprised I haven't asked this yet but what programme are you following? The progress is impressive. Good work.

It's not been a programme as such. It's based on one that was put together for me but it has been tweaked to add more volume and more specificity as the programme wore on.

It's far from perfect in its current format but something has come of it!

Part of the improvement in the squat anyway is down to the high volume stuff I was doing for 3/4 months before I kicked off the last 12 weeks of training. I improved the form and it being more efficient helped.

Saturday 12/3/2016

A) Deadlift
    190kg x 3 x 1

B) Front Squats (3RM)
    97.5kg x 3

C) Rack Pulls (4" below knee)
    160kg x 3 x 3

D) DB OHPs
    22.5kg x 4 x 8

E) 2" Deficit Deadlift 
    160kg x 3 x 3

No free racks to front squat in so started with DLs.

First rep at 190 was ok - didn't feel awful like too many lately. Didn't feel remotely right setting up for 2nd and it was loose and ugly. Should have reset. Setup felt much better on last single and it felt the best.

Forgot fractional plates so front squats were 1kg less than I wanted. 3rd rep was the best - kept tight, uprightand got the speed right. 5kg PR.

Used a shi*ty bar for rack pulls and jesus it was shi*ty to pull with.

Dropped the volume a bit on OHPs. Left pec had felt a bit gammy yesterday after Thursday's benching so while it felt ok today, I didn't want to push my luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can't wait til I can DL 190kg

...that's all I came to say, carry on! :pac::D

bluewolf wrote: »
    I can't wait til I can DL 190kg

...that's all I came to say, carry on! :pac::D

Keep bossin' it the way you are and you'll be repping it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice going, bout 3x mine so far :D

Do people DL more weight than they squat yeah?

Do people DL more weight than they squat yeah?

A lot of people do but it depends on your body as well, ie length of arms, legs and torso play a role.

I have longish arms which is useful for deadlift but sucks donkey balls for benching

Wednesday 16/3/2016

Squats
    Warm ups
    110kg x 1
    125kg x 1
    132.5kg x 1
    140kg x 1
    146kg x 1
    150kg x 1
    *walked out with 172.5 for 10s*
    152.5kg x 2 x F

The warm ups felt heavier than they should but started to feel good about the 110kg mark. 140kg was fine and depth was good. I always thought I'd be over the moon to hit a 3-plate squat but I'd more kilos to hunt down so business as usual.

146 felt better than 140 so onto 150kg. Nailed it.

Walked out 172.5kg then and stood for 10s.

Back to 152.5kg. Thought I had it at the bottom but then I hadn't got to the sticking point yet. And it stuck. Thought I could get it and went again but I was wrong.

This time.

Nominally, PR was 132.5kg starting this 'programme' but I think my legit depth PR was definitely lower. But worst case, it went from 132.5kg to 150kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Gratz Alf! :):)

Must be all that protein milk, wha?? :pac:

Gratz Alf! :):)

Must be all that protein milk, wha?? :pac:

Haha yeah that and the chocs in work earlier :)

Thursday 17/3/2016

Bench
    Warm ups
    80kg x 2
    87.5kg x 1
    91kg x 1
    92.5kg x 1
    93.5kg x 1
    95kg x 1
    96kg x F

DB Incline Bench
    25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 5
    30kg x 3 x 5

Left shoulder felt a little tight last night and this morning but I got the lacrosse ball at it and it loosened up a good bit.

The 91 was just a token PR to bank and actually lift something heavier than 90. Finally! It felt ok as well.

Was just edging up the weight and suss out if 95 was realistic or not and not jump to it, miss and cost myself a couple of kgs off what I could get.

Left hip started to cramp just as I went to lift out 92.5. Thought it'd throw me but it felt pretty good.

93.5 made it off the chest nicely - that's where I'd normally fail - but it slowed mid range. But 95 was on. Then 95 went up much the same and was never in doubt.

Missed 96. Wasn't as smooth lifting it out and maybe that cost me. But it was probably just a half kilo too heavy today.

Still pretty happy to get 95 and a 5kg PR. Didn't really think 95 was on today going in. Thought I'd top out just shy.

Just threw in some DB incline benching at the end cos I actually had time to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

More chocs today then I take it? :pac::pac:

Nice one - eyeing up that 100 in no time :)

More chocs today then I take it? :pac::pac:

Nice one - eyeing up that 100 in no time :)

No chocolate today. I did have a scone that was doused in green food dye though cos it was the least worst option :pac:

Took me long enough to get off 90...100 could be a while.

Saturday 12/3/2016

Deadlift
    150kg x 2
    170kg x 1
    187.5kg x 1
    200kg x 1
    205kg x F

Front Squats
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    105kg x F
    105kg x 1

To be honest, I didn't really think I had a PR in me on the deadlift today. It just hadn't been good enough consistently over the last while.

187.5kg felt ok. Plan had been to go to 197.5kg but YOLO so said I might as well go for the 200.

And it came up. It wasn't pretty but I don't think it was dog-shi*ting bad. 5kg PR.

I think cos I hadn't expected it that I lost focus after that and and 205 wasn't coming up. That and it was heavy.

Had a bit of time to spare so I went for some front squats. Wasn't keeping upper back as tight as it needed to be at the top end hence the miss at 105. Went again and got it but it was s bit ugly. Still, a PR and something to improve on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Easily have 205+ in you given the speed of the 200.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Easily have 205+ in you given the speed of the 200.

Not today, I'm afraid.

I'm inclined to think that I was surprised to get the 200 that I didn't go for 205 with nearly the same intensity.

Getting some coaching in the next while and gonna tackle that DL and hopefully add a few more kilos to it.

Just a couple of notes on what has gone well etc over this last training while.

For about 4 months from August-December, things were all over the place as regards schedules and I had my training gear with me every day I'm case there was a chance to train. So with a lack of structure, I just started training high volume stuff based off low 60s in terms of % of 1RM. That's been key more than anything else to recent improvements.

Plain old working harder. Simple but effective. It really helped my squat because I think the form improved helping me move more weight.

Wrenched my back in November completely unrelated to training but it made me reduce the volume I trained deadlift at.

In terms of the 'programme ' I did for the twelve weeks, the best inclusion that had never really been involved before was paused work. Made sure to keep the pauses to 2s to get the benefit.

But overall....volume. Always felt goosed after those high volume sessions. They were not easy, especially in the latter stages where I was in the low-to-mid 80s in terms of % of 1RM. But that stood to me hugely.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Fair play, your log highlights the progression that can be made through patience and following a programme built around basic but hard exercises. Not only that but you are very complete in 'overallness' (which I've just made up) in terms of cardiovascular and strength balance and very few people can say that - usually one of these facets of health is overlooked and there is a clear divide between cardio hoors and lifting hoors.

So congrats on your progression and overallness basically!! 200kg deadlift is nothing to be scoffed at.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Fair play, your log highlights the progression that can be made through patience and following a programme built around basic but hard exercises. Not only that but you are very complete in 'overallness' (which I've just made up) in terms of cardiovascular and strength balance and very few people can say that - usually one of these facets of health is overlooked and there is a clear divide between cardio hoors and lifting hoors.

So congrats on your progression and overallness basically!! 200kg deadlift is nothing to be scoffed at.

Thanks! Appreciate that.

It could have been structured a lot better but I laid a good foundation before I started.

And while I think I've decided to drop running (I don't enjoy distance running anymore) I intend to go back to sawker in the future so I want to make sure I don't struggle with the cardio side of things.

Thanks again for that :)

That's so awesommmmmmmme

Look at that 200kg
    this, oh i do this any day of the week. up and down see

That's so awesommmmmmmme

Look at that 200kg
    this, oh i do this any day of the week. up and down see

Hahahaha, I wish.

Watched it today to count the plates and make sure I'd got the weight right.

Soooooo much to improve though. But that's what I love about it.

Monday 21/3/2016

A1) Seated Hamstring Curls
    80kg x 5 x 17

A2) Back Extensions
    +10kg x 5 x 20

B) Squats
    100kg x 5 x 12

C1) Leg Extensions
    65kg x 4 x 15 
    65kg x 20

C2) Reverse Flyes
    6kg x 4 x 12
    6kg x 15

Birra volume until I get a programme going again. Squats at ~ 67%.

Racks all in use so I moved the C's to A's. Should have thought about that a bit more. Underestimated the lower back pump from the back extensions. Sweet Jesus. Almost racked with 2 reps to go on set 4 of squats.

There was supposed to be another exercise to go with squats but I completely forgot to do it.

Dropped good mornings from last round of exercises. No chance.

Wasn't really the workout I'd intended going in - had planned more Good Mornings and Split Squats and less machine - but it was really busy and it didn't really matter today

Wednesday 23/3/2016

A) Wide Grip Bench (forefinger on rings)
    65kg x 5 x 10

B1) Face Pulls
    5 x 15

B2) Pull Ups
    8, 7, 8, 7, 8

C) DB OHPs
    17.5kgs x 5 x 12

D1) Skullcrushers
    27.5kg x 5 x 12

D2) DB Flys 
    10kgs x 5 x 12

E) C2
    500m in 1.32.2

Forgot about the DOMS from the higher volume stuff. Hamstrings, in particular, felt ropey today. Glutes and adductors felt sad too.

The extra width on bench grip felt a lot more different than I expected.  

Supersetting gave pulls with pull ups killed me on the pull ups.

Everything just felt hard. Started the flys with 10s assuming I'd move up but not tonight, Josephine.

Wasn't expecting a good time for the 500m on the C2, the way I felt at that stage but I'm happy enough with that time to work on. Next target is < 1.30. 

I've come to the conclusion I do not like training late in the evening. Ugh.

Adductors!!
    Yes!
    that's what's sore

I like training late but then I'm hyped up and awake late

Adductors!!
    Yes!
    that's what's sore

I like training late but then I'm hyped up and awake late

The hamstrings though. Holy jeeeaayyyyusus. Hobbled around like an auld lad anytime I got out of my chair today.

"What happened you?"
    "Squats"

The hamstrings though. Holy jeeeaayyyyusus. Hobbled around like an auld lad anytime I got out of my chair today.

"What happened you?"
    "Squats"

People in my job mostly just shake their head at me nowadays when I get out of my chair.

"Leg day?"
    "Nah I actually ran up a mountain yesterday. Tomorrow is leg day."

*head shake*

People in my job mostly just shake their head at me nowadays when I get out of my chair.

"Leg day?"
    "Nah I actually ran up a mountain yesterday. Tomorrow is leg day."

*head shake*

You're doing well that they even know such a thing as 'leg day' exists

• Advertisement

You're doing well that they even know such a thing as 'leg day' exists

Two of them do. Which is highly unusual in the world of IT :D

The rest are more like "exermacising again were we?"

Advertisement