Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Friday 30/9/2016

A) RDL
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    110kg x 15, 14, 13, 16

B) High Box Step Up
    10kg x 3 x 12 e/s

C) Deadlift
    2 x AMRAP:
    145kg x 12, 11

D1) Pull Ups
    8, 8, 8, 9, 8

D2) Shrugs (w/ hex bar)
    100kgs x 5 x 12

E) Hamstring Curl
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

Ideally this would have been done tomorrow but will be away tomorrow. That's going to be a recurring theme for October. Lots of DOMS from squatting etc in Wednesday as well.

Happy enough with the RDLs. Pretty sure it's more volume than I've done at 110 before anyway. Belt on for last set.

Wasn't sure if 10s were right for step ups but turned out they were spot on. I can see them working on the strength and/or stability imbalances nicely.

Was feeling it coming to deadlifts. It's impossible to get an idea of what you could do for AMRAP sets with that fatigue so it made me really go hard til my form was going. Think I'm satisfied with 12 and 11. Was my glutes that gave on me in the end, which isn't a surprise. They were just tired by then. Form held up really well under fatigue though, which I'm really happy with.

Kept the first couple of sets of pull ups to 8 and see what was in the tank at end but expected no more than 5x8 cos lats fatigued.

I really enjoy the layout with gauging how far I am from failure - the change from prescribed reps makes me push it and it keeps me pushing hard to get the most out of it.

Sunday 2/10/2016

A) Close-Grip Bench
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    66kg x 13, 11, 10, 10

B) DB Row
    27.5kg x 3 x 12

C) Bench
    2 x AMRAP:
    66kg x 13, 10

D1) Barbell Row
    65kg x 5 x 12

D2) Reverse DB Flys
    6kgs x 5 x 15

E) Tricep Pushdown
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

F) Seated Hammer Curls
    12.5kgs x 4 x 15

Probably just as well I had to train Friday instead of Saturday as I had to bring this week's training ahead as well.

Find it hard to gauge the 2 reps from failure I am with bench/CGBP. Volume on a par with last week.

Was sure I had 15 in the tank halfway through first set on bench but triceps collapsed at 12 and just locked out a 13th.

Ditched the planned C2 intervals because squatting tomorrow. So I did some curls because curls.

All a bit meh.

Monday 3/10/2016

A) Front Squat
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    73.5kg x 14, 14, 13, 13.

B) Walking Lunge
    22.5kg each hand: 3 x 12 e/s

C) Squat
    2 x AMRAP:
    108.5kg x 19, 20

D1) Wide-grip Seated Row
    5 x 12

D2) Barbell Bicep Curl
    28.5kgs x 5 x 12

E) Leg Extension
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

Was aiming for a minimum of 11 for each set to keep ahead of the volume I would have hit across 5 sets previously. Pretty happy to hit that many reps. Tried out new Rehbands for first time. Like having your knees in a slow cooker. Washed straight after...

On first set of squats, the bar path wasn't as consistent as I'd like. 2nd set much smoother and easier.

Upped weight on rows and curls.

Pretty sure I managed the volume nicely today. Squeezed as much as I am supposed to and didn't feel destroyed insofar as I'll be recovered for Wednesday. Pretty sure that's the plan. Legs feeling it now, though...

Wednesday 5/10/2016

A) RDL
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    115kg x 17, 16, 16, 16

B) High Box Step Up
    12.5kg x 3 x 12 e/s

C) Deadlift
    2 x AMRAP:
    150kg x 10, 8

D1) Pull Ups
    8, 8, 8, 9, 10

D2) Shrugs (w/ hex bar)
    102.5kgs x 5 x 12

E) Hamstring Curl
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

F) Food
    4 x courses

RDLs went well. Thought 3x12 with 12.5s might be a step too far but got them - happy enough with that.

The deadlifts felt heavy quicker than expected. just couldn't lock out the 9th rep on second set. That may be the first time I've failed to lock out a rep that made it past the knee! Wanted more.  If wasn't to be. Next time!

That was tough. Reasonably happy with numbers though.

Sunday 9/10/2016

A) Close-Grip Bench
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    70kg x 12, 11, 10, 10

B) DB Row
    27.5kg x 3 x 12

C) Bench
    2 x AMRAP:
    70kg x 11, 9

D1) Barbell Row
    67.5kg x 5 x 13

D2) Reverse DB Flys
    7kgs x 5 x 15

E) Tricep Pushdown
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

F) Seated DB Curls
    12.5kgs x 4 x 15

CGBP felt stronger this week. Getting into a better groove on it.

30s were gone so used 27.5s for rows and added an extra rep per set. Kept form really tight and good contraction. Felt good.

Had intended to do some intervals on the C2 at the end but remembered I have to squat tomorrow. Will do it at the end of squat sesh cos I won't get to train til next Saturday after that.

Decent session.

• Advertisement

Monday 10/10/2016

A) Front Squat
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    76kg x 14, 14, 12, 12

B) Walking Lunge
    25kg each hand: 3 x 12 e/s

C) Squat
    2 x AMRAP:
    113.5kg x 19, 19

D) Leg Extension
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

E1) Wide-grip Seated Row
    5 x 12

E2) Barbell Bicep Curl
    30kgs x 5 x 12

The aim was to hit 50+ reps across the 4 sets of front squats. I've done 5x10 with 77.5 so wanted to put a few reps on that.

Had a feeling the extra volume done for A and B might tell on the squats...and then the warm up at 100 felt heavy. But got stuck in and managed more than I expected.

Leg extension AMRAPs after squats was unpleasant but nothing to do rows on.

Upped weight on rows and curls.

Yesterday I said I'd do some intervals on the C2 at the end of today's workout....
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Saturday 15/10/2016

A) RDL
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    120kg x 15, 15, 15, 15

B) High Box Step Up
    15kg x 3 x 12 e/s

C) Deadlift
    2 x AMRAP:
    157.5kg x 9, 8

D1) Pull Ups
    9, 9, 9, 9, 9

D2) Shrugs (w/ hex bar)
    105kgs x 5 x 12

E) Hamstring Curl
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

It's been difficult trying to make time for training with work lately bit it should pass in the next fortnight.

RDLs coming along nicely. Don't think I did more than sets of 8 last time so 2 sets in and I was probably at same volume. As much a result of pushing myself harder as being stronger. Form holding up though (was going on very last rep) and they're all beltless.

Pushed up to 15s on step-ups. Thought the DLs might suffer for it though but they're not prime exercise at this point so so be it.

Was supposed to be 156kg for DLs but forgot fractionals so went with 157.5kg. The single at 140 before the working sets felt heavier than it should and I had to remind myself it moved nicely and not be put off. Lockouts are hard...glutes have put in a shift by DL time. Much happier with the 9,8 this week than I was with last week especially considering more volume beforehand.

R.I.P. Hamstrings.

Sunday 16/10/2016

A) Close-Grip Bench
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    72.5kg x 10, 9, 8, 8

B) DB Row
    30kg x 3 x 12

C) Bench
    2 x AMRAP:
    72.5kg x 8, 7

D1) Barbell Row
    70kg x 5 x 12

D2) Reverse DB Flys
    7.5kgs x 5 x 15

E) Tricep Pushdown
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

F) Front Raises
    (60s rest)
    7kgs x 6 x 12 e/s

Have to fit this week's training between today and Wednesday and hope work doesn't f*ck that up.

CGBP felt good. Just checked and it's more volume at 72.5kg than I managed for benching at that weight on last 2 training cycles, which is better than I had given it credit for.

That said, the actual benching felt lame...

Probably have to drop the reps per set on rows from now or I'll just be finishing sets with ugly reps that don't help a whole lot.

All good except for the couple of lame bench sets.

Monday 16/10/2016

A) Front Squat
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    80kg x 12, 10, 9, 10

B) Walking Lunge
    27.5kg each hand: 3 x 12 e/s

C) Squat
    2 x AMRAP:
    118.5kg x 17, 16

D1) Wide-grip Seated Row
    100kg x 5 x 12

D2) Barbell Bicep Curl
    31kgs x 5 x 11

E) Leg Extension
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

The most reps I've done across 4 sets of front squats was ~34. Probably with belt for all as well. Belt for last set only here.

Satisfied with numbers on squat. During warm ups I thought legs were a bit shaky for 15+ sets. So that was nice.

Will enjoy a rest tomorrow.

Wednesday 19/10/2016

A) RDL
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    125kg x 14 14, 13, 12

B) High Box Step Up
    12.5kg DBs x 12 e/s
    15kg DBs x 12 e/s
    17.5kg DBs x 6 e/s

C) Deadlift
    2 x AMRAP:
    162.5kg x 8, 6

D1) Pull Ups
    10, 9, 9, 10, 10

D2) Shrugs (w/ hex bar)
    120kgs* x 5 x 12

E) Hamstring Curl
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

* turns out the trap bar is 32.5kg so what I did was only up by 2.5 on last week which was recorded as 105kg.

RDLs going strong. Step ups felt rubbish and looked it too.

But recovered ok and deadlifts felt strong. First set was nice and snappy. Finally got a cue that keeps it together from the start. Looking forward to seeing how it feels when I'm back going at it fresh.

• Advertisement

Sunday 23/10/2016

A) Close-Grip Bench
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    75kg x 8, 7, 6, 6

B) DB Row
    32.5kg x 3 x 12

C) Bench
    2 x AMRAP:
    75kg x 7, 6

D1) Barbell Row
    72.5kg x 12, 12, 11, 11, 11

D2) Reverse DB Flys
    8kgs x 5 x 15

E) Tricep Pushdown
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

Kept all benching paused today hence the drop in numbers: 1-1000 count on the chest. Will be pausing all bench work from now on so there will be a drop off in numbers. Need to work on leg drive.

Bench was okay. Moved grip back to little finger just inside rings for 2nd set and it felt much stronger but misgrooved 6th rep and it drained the last rep out of me to lock it out. Still, they felt much better.

Had to get that session done today because not sure how much I'll get to do this week. At least it wasn't lower body because of the 3 hours in transit before I started...and a wedding yesterday.

Edit: checked there now and the close grip was only one rep less than the 4 sets at 75 for normal bench the last time. The rests then we're about a minute or so less than today but there were decent pauses today so it was actually better than I gave it credit for.

Wednesday 26/10/2016

A) RDL
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    130kg x 12, 13, 12, 12

B) High Box Step Up
    15kg x 12 e/s

C) Deadlift
    2 x AMRAP:
    170kg x 7, 6

D1) Pull Ups
    10, 10, 10, 10, 10

D2) Shrugs (w/ hex bar)
    122.5kgs x 5 x 12

E) Hamstring Curl
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

This was tough - work has been relentless of late, there's been a lot of time in transit and sleep has suffered. Felt sh*tty but in I went.

Racked a rep or 2 too soon on 1st set of RDLs. A mental thing. Got over it for the rest.

Thought about easing up and dropping reps on last round of step ups to leave more in the tank for deadlifts - because was just feeling fatigued - but didn't in the end.

Delighted with the deadlifts. If I had felt less f**ked going in, I'd have been happy with 7, 5. Squeezed as much as I could out of them. Most volume at 170 before today was 3x3. Main reason I can do more reps now is the form work. Probably bit stronger too.

Probably add 5kg for pull ups next week.

Would have been an easy decision to not come in. Really happy I didn't do easy.

Saturday 29/10/2016

A) Front Squat
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    82.5kg x 10, 9, 9, 8

B) Squat
    2 x AMRAP:
    123.5kg x 7, 10

C1) Wide-grip Seated Row
    102.5kg x 5 x 12

C2) Barbell Bicep Curl
    32.5kgs x 5 x 12

Mostly a big bag of sh*t.

Front squats felt a bit off. Aim was for 36+ reps to beat the most volume I've done at 82.5kg, which was across 5 sets. Just made 36. But each set had more reps than I've managed at that weight before. So, that was okay.

Got a twinge in my right knee on first rep of lunges. Went again, same again. Skipped and went to squats to see how they would feel. Bit of a niggle but not enough to call a halt to proceedings.

Every single rep of the squats felt off utter sh*te. Just felt all wrong. Was looking for ~14 but I was using up energy with sh*tty reps. I just wanted to leave after that first set but said I'd at least try and do something with the second set. It was a bit better but hand was going numb and losing grip so only 10.

Didn't go back for lunges or leg extensions because of the knee.

Long, long time since I've felt so deflated after training but the only cure is to get back at it and put it right next time.

Edit: having watched the videos back today, the problem seems to be that I was sub-consciously protecting the knee, i.e. on the eccentric I get to a point of knee flexion and then it looks like I tried to somehow get below parallel by lowering upper body more. I got below parallel but it meant a lot of GMing up. Which all makes sense in hindsight. Knee isn't too bad and I didn't notice anything until lunges and bit sore at time coming down stairs today but a few days rest will help.

Monday 31/10/2016

A) Close-Grip Bench
    4 x (AMRAP-2)
    77.5kg x 7, 6, 6, 5

B) Chest-Supported DB Rows
    35kg x 3 x 12

C) Bench
    2 x AMRAP:
    77.5kg x 4, 4, 3

D1) Barbell Row
    75kg x 12, 12, 11, 10, 10

D2) Reverse DB Flys
    9kgs x 15, 15, 14, 13, 13

E) Tricep Pushdown
    (60s rest)
    3 x 1-min AMRAPs

Lacrosse balled the ever-loving sh*t out of muscles around my knee yesterday and my knee felt less decrepit today. Will continue and see how it improves.

Was looking for ~24/25+ reps on CGBP today to be on par or better than normal bench last training cycle. They felt pretty solid and bar path was much more consistent.

Ninja attack on my triceps on the 5th rep of bench meant a quick and painless death. 2nd set felt stronger somehow. Did a 3rd set after short rest cos 2nd set felt smoother and wanted to get in more reps that felt right because the long pausing needs practice.

Hard to get a proper gauge of where my bench is cos pausing and triceps pretty fatigued when it comes to benching. But close grip feels strong.

Wednesday 2/11/2016

A) Squat
    120kg x 1
    140kg x 1
    147.5kg x f
    145kg x 3
    130kg x 8

B) Pull Ups
    (90s rest)
    +5kg x 8, 7, 7, 6

C) Leg Extensions
    (60s rest)
    65kg x 5 x 15

D) Seated Rowa
    (60s rest)
    5 x 12

Came in to deadlift but was told to squat. Only had flats with me and wasn't confident in myself or my knee after last weekend but convinced myself it was a clean slate. Shoes felt very different but just took it as a chance to prove to myself I was getting comfortably deep. I was.

Got myself caught a little forward so bailed on the 147.5kg. Don't think I was focused enough on what I was doing and got out of position.

Dropped to 145kg and was more conscious of not getting caught forward under the bar and hit 3RM at ~90% that restored the confidence in my squat especially since I hadn't been building towards that kinda weight just yet.

Taking it easy 'til Monday, which will mark the start of 10 weeks of building towards what will hopefully be my first meet at the end of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Woo meet buddies

bluewolf wrote: »
    Woo meet buddies

I'm hoping I'd be lifting on the Sunday (if I get a spot) because I can't if I was to be on the Saturday.

Saturday 5/11/2016

A) C2
    4 rounds: 250m row, 30s rest

B) Face Pulls
    5 x 15

C) Seated Hammer Curls
    12.5s x 5 x 10

D) Barbell Holds (Dbl OH)
    100kg x 5 x 20s

E) NG Pull Ups
    +20kg x 5 x 5

Kept it all light and nothing too taxing to stay fresh before getting back into it on Monday. Didn't do any pressing cos right shoulder was gammy after lying on it all night.

Was happy the rowing times were decent with short rests. Better times than last time I did 250m intervals and that was with 45s intervals albeit there were 6 sets then.

Never really tried holding the bar before. Not timed anyway. Forearm burn.

Neutral grip for pull ups because bit easier on the shoulder. Haven't done 5x5 with +20kg too often before.

Enjoyable little session, that.

Monday 7/11/2016

(W1D1)

A) Squats
    115kg x 4 x 8
    115kg x 21

B) 2-position Paused Deadlift
    100kg x 12 x 2

C) Bench
    57.5kg x 5 x 10

D) Skullcrushers
    27.5kg x 4 x 15

Felt good coming in. Been trying to do a lot of mobility work to offset the travelling for work lately. Should settle after this week.

Mobility helped the squatting anyway. Think I had 20 reps at 115 a month or so ago so knew I should be in the ball park even after 4x8.

Double pause DLs felt great for keeping shape in check and getting speed.

The bench volume at lighter weight good for helping me work on a couple of technique things I've never properly worked on before.

The exercise selection getting more specific now  - in terms of what I need to work on for comp lifts and also more closely aligned to the lifts themselves.

Really enjoyed that.

Wednesday 9/11/2016

(W1D2)

A) Deadlift
    165kg x 3 x 2

B) Speed Pull
    135kg x 8 x 3

C) Front Squat
    75kg x 5 x 5

D) Incline Bench
    40kg x 15
    42.5kg x 15
    40kg x 15
    35kg x 15

E) Lat Pulldown
    90kgs x 4 x 15

Deadlifts were find but need to focus on my cues to keep lats and upper back tight and hips just moving forward and not up.

Worked out a couple of little things to keep my elbows up and be more upright on front squat and come up with more power.

Had no idea what weight to do for incline benching to pitch 4x15 at to be leaving 2 reps in the tank at end of each set. And considering I'd never done them paused I started light. And finished lighter. Ain't nothin but....actually, a peanut would be heavier.

Nothing to write home about but it will mean that next week I'll make sure to do right what I didn't do right today.

• Advertisement

Saturday 12/11/2016

(W1D3)

A) Squat
    90kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    67.5kg x 3 x 6
    67.5kg x 12

C) Snatch Grip RDL
    90kg x 4 x 12

D) Barbell Row
    55kg x 4 x 15

E) Neutral Grip DB Floor Press
    20kgs x 4 x 15

Light squatting in flats and no belt or sleeves etc to start - good for tidying up a couple of things.

Wanted double figures on the AMRAP bench set so pretty happy with 12. Form improving - more consistent, which seems to have come with the pausing - and getting a bit better at using some leg drive.

First time ever doing snatch-grip RDLs. Felt a lot more different than I expected. Really feel it hit upper back and lats harder.

Probably could have gone a little heavier on rows but I took it down wrong and only needed to leave 1 in the tank instead of 2.

DB floor press was a new one as well. Neutral grip made it feel even more different. Started with 20s and seemed about right today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

snatch grip rdls
    interesting

bluewolf wrote: »
    snatch grip rdls
    interesting

Wider grip works the upper back and lats harder, fo sho.

Had to get the hang of it with more warm up reps than I'd normally do cos it felt very different at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

This program you're doing, is it to prepare for a comp?

Monday 14/11/2016

(W2D1)

A) Squats
    120kg x 4 x 8
    120kg x 17

B) 2-position Paused Deadlift
    110kg x 12 x 2

C) Bench
    60kg x 5 x 10

D) Skullcrushers
    30kg x 4 x 12

Was more conscious that I was getting no-doubt-depth on the last set of squats when fatigue was kicking in. Reliably informed I started to lean forward a bit more and ended up with some high reps last week so videoed the AMRAP set this week to check. Not much point in the extra reps at the end if they're not through the full required ROM.

Really happy with that last set. Every rep well in.

Everything else felt daycent.

Delighted with squats and how they felt.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    This program you're doing, is it to prepare for a comp?

Yup. Hopefully going to do one in January hence there being a lot more of the competition lifts across the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yup. Hopefully going to do one in January hence there being a lot more of the competition lifts across the week.

Are you hoping to get a few pb's or just happy to compete?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you hoping to get a few pb's or just happy to compete?

It's going to be a very different experience to lifting in the gym so I don't expect any PBs.

Will try to go 9/9 without going too light but it'll be more a learning experience to base the next comp off.

Wednesday 16/11/2016

(W2D2)

A) Deadlift
    170kg x 3 x 2

B) Speed Pull
    140kg x 8 x 3

C) Front Squat
    77.5kg x 5 x 5

D) Incline Bench
    40kg x 3 x 12
    45kg x 12

E) Lat Pulldown
    97.5kgs x 4 x 12

Deadlifts felt great. Form much better. Snappier. Happier.

Front squats felt better too. More upright - upper back tighter. Nice.

Other stuff felt stronger too. A good day at the office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

120kgx17, Jesus

Advertisement