Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

When is your first comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    When is your first comp?

Sunday 22nd...so two and a half weeks.

Saturday 7/1/2017

(W9D3)

A) Squats
    130kg x 3
    137.5kg x 2 x 2
    145kg x 3 x 2

B) Bench
    75kg x 3
    80kg x 2 x 2
    85kg x 3 x 2

C) Deadlift
    177.5kg x 3
    187.5kg x 2
    200kg x 3 x 1

First set at 145 felt better than the warm ups. Felt fine. Second set, was a bit too quick on the eccentric and made coming up a bit harder than it should have been but never in risk of missing.

Bench felt handy. No bother so gonna bump opener to 85kg. I had it at 80kg cos hadn't been up at that weight when I sent in my openers and 85kg just felt too handy for me to start any lower on the day. Gave the commands in my head and not a hope of racking early!

Deadlift warm ups flew up at 165kg. They felt lighter than the 140kg before. The good stiff bars were in use and the stiff bar I used was bent a bit so twisted in my hands once or twice. Bit off-putting.

1st one at 200 was ok. Rushed the 2nd, mentally, didn't get tight enough and it was ugly. 3rd was the best.

An alright session. I'll give it a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Super exciting! 2 weeks to go!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Super exciting! 2 weeks to go!

It really is. Especially training in the singlet yesterday....well, tshirt on over it but felt like the countdown had well and truly started.

• Advertisement

I don't know that I'll train in it but I got the sbd tshirt over xmas so I must try it on with it and see
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

It really is. Especially training in the singlet yesterday....well, tshirt on over it but felt like the countdown had well and truly started.

It really shows off those lovely legs! xo

Sangre wrote: »
    It really shows off those lovely legs! xo

In all their skinny glory.

Monday 9/1/2017

(W10D1)

A) Squats
    132.5kg x 3
    142.5kg x 3 x 3

B) Bench
    82.5kg x 3
    87.5kg x 2 x 3

C) Deadlift
    190kg x 3 x 2

Today I just wanted to make sure I was hitting depth and leaving no doubt...because IPF. Shouldn't really be something I'm worrying about - the weight isn't something I should be worrying about missing so just wanted to make sure I nail that opener. Ended up being some of the nicest squatting I've ever done with depth + change left over.

Bench is a PR because from now on it'll be paused benching all the way. Old PRs not really valid for that reason. Was supposed to be a third triple there but didn't push for it in case I missed. Better to drop a set than miss a lift now.

Deadlifts were ok. Made 170x4 look heavy so pared back next set to a single at 180. Flew up. First reps at 190 felt fine. Second reps felt heavier. Need to breathe out a bit sooner for lockout.

Felt a great session tbh.

Wednesday 11/1/2017

(W10D2)

A) Squat
    125kg x 2 x 5

B) Bench
    77.5kg x 2 x 5

C) Deadlift
    150kg x 5
    170kg x 2 x 5

Did some curls at the end because summer.

Feels like the timing of the training was spot on. Today was first day I felt any fatigue going into a session and I've been pushing the weight more than before. Today's session was a light one before last heavy session at weekend and then a week to drop intensity and volume ahead of the comp.

Really looking forward to the next session hashtagexcira

• Advertisement

Saturday 14/1/2017

(W10D3)

A) Squats
    125kg x 5
    135kg x 3
    142.5kg x 2
    150kg x 3  x 2

B) Bench
    75kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    85kg x 2
    90kg x 3 x 2

C) Deadlift
    170kg x 4
    182.5kg x 3
    192.5kg x 1
    200kg x 2 x 2

I'm not gonna lie...when I got this week's training and saw the doubles at 150 and 90 on squat and bench, I was excited. I've only hit 150 or more 3 times and all for singles but I felt good about where my squat is. I'm in uncharted territory (for me) on bench cos I haven't paused my benching before this cycle but it feels stronger than I thought it would (90 was what I thought my 3rd bench would be at comp).

1st set was ok. 1st rep on 2nd set felt nice but slight shift forward of bar on the way up made it a battle to lock it out. Last set felt the best.

Benching felt fine. Was at physio on Thursday just to make sure everything was loosened up coming into comp. He made a huge difference to the niggle around my tricep I've had lately.  Nothing damaged - just needed freeing up a bit. 10 weeks ago is pencilled in 90 as my 3rd attempt cos wasn't sure how much pausing would lower my numbers by.

Deadlifts didn't feel great. First set at 200 was ok. 2nd was poor. I know why and better that it happened now than next week so I can address it.

Last heavy session done - some light lifting next week to keep everything moving.

Monday 16/1/2017

(W11D1)

A) Squats
    107.5kg x 3
    120kg x 2
    132.5kg x 1
    145kg x 1

B) Bench
    65kg x 3
    72.5kg x 2
    80kg x 1
    87.5kg x 1

C) Deadlift
    140kg x 3
    160kg x 2
    180kg x 1
    195kg x 1

Wasn't sure if I'd be doing a run to the openers today but I was interested to see how they'd feel with much less volume beforehand than I have been doing in around opener territory lately, particularly on deadlift.

Managed to pinch a nerve by my shoulder blade this morning and was uncomfortable day. Threw me a little squatting and didn't fully go through all my cues. Sank the opener bit I had got myself a little off and made it harder than it should have been.

Bench felt grand.

Deadlift moved a little slow but wasn't sh*te.

Was a little disappointed that some of it moved slower than it should until I was reminded I had some 2RMs 48hrs ago and that 5 and a bit days' of recovery will have me fresh and ready for go time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Good luck at the weekend Alf!

Wednesday 18/1/2017

(W11D2)

A) Squats
    95kg x 3
    107.5kg x 2
    120kg x 1
    132.5kg x 1

B) Bench
    55kg x 3
    65kg x 2
    72.5kg x 1
    80kg x 1

C) Deadlift
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    160kg x 1

Needless to say that was all grand. Just going through the movements, keeping tight (in the good way).

Though, less than a year ago a squat of 132.5kg was PR territory  and now it feels like like a comfortable warm up. Win.

Worked on making sure technique was spot on, especially with squats.

Getting a bit fired up distracted me a little the other night. Have to get that right and run through the cues repeatedly til Sunday.

Time to get and recover til Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Best of luck on Sunday man! Do your best to stay relaxed and don't forget to enjoy yourself...

Pavel66 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday man! Do your best to stay relaxed and don't forget to enjoy yourself...

Thanks chief. I have to remember to use any adrenaline properly and remember my cues. Just looking forward to the buzz!

Best of luck on Saturday and get yourself a record!

So...the Leinster Open.

Weighed at home when I got up and was light and freaked out so slice of Swiss roll followed by toast on the way out.

Got out there at 6.10am for weigh in. Jesus it was baltic so I took the opportunity to shed no clothing at weigh in and was 81.2kg.

Felt a lot looser and fresh than I expected to and sat around for a while, did some light loosening up. Flight before was going to be ~about 45 minutes so timed warm ups from first lift and worked out well.

Squat

The opener last Monday was manky. Was a bit too wound up and wasn't enough external rotation and knees came right in. Bleurgh. Then yesterday I kept thinking maybe it was a risky opener - I think it was because that it's only in the last 10 weeks that it's been a weight I was comfortable repping in training. Anyhoo, COH reminded me I've repped it in training so got my head in order again. Warm ups felt comfortable.

145 was grand so went for 155 for second. It actually felt fine and I saw a white light come up...but it was followed by 2 reds. Very marginal call looking at the video but it threw me a bit. The plan had been 145/155/162.5 but now there was a spanner in the works. But I thought "F*ck it" and called 160. Sank it. Equalled gym PR and was deeper than that one and felt a touch better so was really happy with that.

Bench

After the squats going alright, I was really relaxed coming into the benching. But the opener was messy. Think I was complacent but it just wasn't smooth. 92.5 felt way better. The plan originally was 87.5/92.5/95 but I decided to call 97.5kg. Went up handy enough. I had never considered 100kg but it was almost certainly there based on how it felt and looked. So the 2.5kg I lost on what I hoped to have from squats was recovered!

Deadlift

This hadn't been feeling as smooth as it had been and I wasn't hugely confident. I had thought I'd go 195/210/? but called 207.5 after opener. That second attempt wasn't great. Not sure why but just didn't feel like a good lift (didn't look it either) so called 215 for last. Went to jacks and on the way back I said "F*ck it" again and said I'd just go for 220kg and if I missed, so be it. Was a bit wound up at this stage - but 3 cans of red bull, 200mg of caffeine and 1.5 packs of dextrose tablets probably does that. I could feel I had lost all of the tightness as I started the pull but it was time to pull like a dog and up it came. Lockout didn't feel particularly hard despite making a hames of the lift.

So I had a total of 465-470 as a target so was pretty happy to get 477.5.

Really enjoyed the experience and I know that I had intended to go again but I definitely will. Some great camaraderie, atmosphere and just a really enjoyable event to be part of.

Also, COH put together a great training cycle for me. It wasn't laid out weeks in advance but ad the weeks progressed and based on how the lifts were going. Fatigue was managed so well that there was one, maybe 2, training sessions towards the end where I went in with a small bit of fatigue but nothing bad. The result was bringing training PRs that were all made fresh and on different days for each lift, to the platform!

Squats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Where did you place or how far off were you from medals?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Where did you place or how far off were you from medals?

Think I was 4th. Well off 3rd but its not relevant - if it was in the Munster Open my total would have probably been less than the squat opener for a lot :)

Where I finished didn't really matter to me. Its a cliché but it's true...I was only.competing against myself. Maybe at elite level, at least at national level, it matters but you can ask no more than to beat your comp PRs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done! Great performance. 100kg bench around the corner!

Pavel66 wrote: »
    Well done! Great performance. 100kg bench around the corner!

Cheers man. Was only when I lifted the last I realised it was there. Third lift was always going to be an unknown quantity because pausing was only part of training recently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Well done Alf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Nice lifting, well done!

Bench

Well done that all looks brilliant!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well done that all looks brilliant!!

That's because the deadlift isn't there! :D

Ah it was a great event. There was just some cool things I saw that encapsulated the best elements of sport.

Tuesday 24/1/2017

A) Pull Ups
    3 x 8

B) Squats
    100kg x 5 x 5

C) Overhead Press
    50kg x 2 x 3
    52.5kg x 2
    55kg x 1
    60kg x 1

D) RDL
    80kg x 4 x 8

E) C2
    250m x 6; 60s rests
    Kept average to ~1.41.5/500m

F) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

Felt like moving a bit today. Nothing heavy or taxing - basically weighted stretching - and the rest of the week will be the same. The OHP was a bit heavier though. Just because I hadn't in ages and I took it handy enough on the no. of reps on the way up.

Enjoyed getting back on the C2...which is the kind if thing you might say when you haven't gone hard and don't feel like puking after.

Felt pretty good after it.

Thursday 26/1/2017

A) Front Squats
    70kg x 5 x 5

B) Close Grip Incline Bench
    55kg x 4 x 8

C) Barbell Rows
    60kg x 4 x 10

D) Lunges
    15kg DBs x 4 x 8 e/s

E) C2
    8 rounds: 250m row /  50s rest
    (Averaged 1.39.2/500m)

F) Hip Abduction
    3 x 20 e/s

Just keeping things moving this week. Intensity and volume pulled right back this week before getting ready to hit the next training cycle hard.

C2 was tougher than t'other night. An extra two 250m intervals with 10s less rest between...and faster pace. Luckily, the C2 has been moved over by the radiator...

Pretty happy to be able to push the cardio like that after so long a break from it.

• Advertisement

Saturday 29/1/2017

A) HB Squats
    100kg x 5 x 5

B) RDLs
    85kg x 4 x 8

C) Dumbbell Rows
    25kg x 4 x 10

D) Close Grip Bench
    60kg x 4 x 8

E) C2
    4 rounds: 250m row / 45s rest
    (49.8 - 50.3)

F) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

Pull Ups
    15 x 6 (done between sets through workout)

Had wanted to do SSB squats but no sign of SSB so just did high bar.

Dropped back the number of intervals on C2 cos after the RDLs, rows and pull ups, I knew I'd flag quickly so said I'd go harder for fewer.

Plan is to get back into proper training next week with a comp in mid-May in the crosshairs

Advertisement