Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Monday 30/1/2017

A) 'Nekkid' Squats (30X0; AMRAP-2)
    112.5kg x 15, 12, 13, 12, 11

B) Narrow-Stance HB Squat (30X0; AMRAP)
    80kg x 20, 21

C) Lat Pulldown
    105kg x 3 x 10

D1) Seated Hamstring Curl
    82.5kg x 3 x 12

D2) EZ Bar Curl
    3 x 15

E) Ab Pulldown
    3 x 15

Nekkid squat = no belt, sleeves or wrist wraps. Jesus, they were gruelling. More gruelling than I expected starting out...mostly cos of the slow eccentric. 3rd set was very uncomfortable because bar slightly bent and cocked my wrists back a bit. That said, they were all uncomfortable...

It was rough but this is the work that makes the heavier weights feel lighter in a few months' time. The first session back at that level of volume is the worst because it's a bit of a shock to the system. Mentally as much as physically.

Had never done ab pulldowns before. Like 'em. Good burn off them so at least I knew I was doing them some way right.

F) Food
    AMRAP

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why no wrist wraps
    My wrists are sore returning to squats even with them

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why no wrist wraps
    My wrists are sore returning to squats even with them

Well, that part wasn't specified, per se, but I usually have them on nice and tight when I do have them on and I thought that would probably be an unhelpful level of discomfort given they'd be on a lot longer than normal.

Oh i loosen them during breaks and that does me

Oh i loosen them during breaks and that does me

Ah yeah I do that as well but high rep sets with 3s eccentrics can go on a bit :)

It wasn't said that I wasn't to wear wrist wraps. I just didn't. I wouldn't wear them at that weight anyway, tbh.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 1/2/2017

A) Deadlift (AMRAP-2)
    155kg x 7, 6, 6, 6, 6

B) Snatch Grip RDL (AMRAP)
    100kg x 4 x 10

C) DB Row
    30kg x 3 x 10 e/s

D) Ab Rollout
    3 x 15

E2) DB Overhead Press
    20kg DBs x 4 x 12

E1) Leg Press
    210kg x 3 x 10

Last time I had AMRAP sets with ~ that weight on deadlift, I had 9,8 so I knew AMRAP-2 would be 6/7 territory but 3 more sets so happy with the reps. Last set was close enough to max at that stage. Worked a bit harder to reverse the movement rather than just slop it down and have to work to get back into position. More control -> more work -> stronger -> win.

Was getting serious lower back pump towards the end of DB rows. Had to stop twice on last set. Went pretty quickly tanxbetajaysis.

After Monday I was much better prepared for the volume being turned up to 11 and now it's time to just embrace the discomfort and get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What does snatch grip RDL work differently?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What does snatch grip RDL work differently?

Works your upper back a lot harder. You probably get more range of motion in your hip hinge as well working your hips harder but you really know about it in your upper back.

Saturday 4/2/2017

A) Bench (AMRAP-2)
    70kg x 11, 9, 8, 7, 7

B) CGBP (AMRAP)
    50kg x 16, 15

C) Barbell Row
    70kg x 3 x 10

D1) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12

D2) Reverse Flys
    7kg x 3 x 12

E1) Lateral Raise
    7.5kgs x 3 x 15

E2) Skullcrusher
    30kgs x 3 x 10

F) Wide-Grip Bench (AMRAP-2)
    50kgs x 10, 9

Was glad not to have lower body work today - mashed my toe off a chair the other night and it's swollen and badly bruised. Bit more movement in it today so maybe not broken but pretty sore. Not much you can do either way - ice 'n' drugs.

Bench just felt tough. Had hoped to keep it to no less than 9. Putting it down to first day back with high volume. CGBP felt weird - felt light and heavy all at once. Triceps knew all about it.

There's an optional training session, which I'm unlikely to get to do yet so I've added them to training across the 3 days where appropriate. Got in reverse flys, lateral raises and wide grip bench today cos had the time to.

Triceps were minced by the time the wide grip bench came around so they felt same as CGBP: moved quickly but felt heavy quickly too.

Monday 6/2/2017

A) Squats - no belt/sleeves (30X0; AMRAP-2)
    117.5kg x 13, 12, 12, 12, 12

85kg x 20, 20

C) Lat Pulldown
    107.5kg x 3 x 10

85kg x 3 x 12

D2) EZ Bar Curl
    3 x 15

E) Ab Pulldown
    3 x 15

Wore wrist wraps on first squat set. Unhelpful.  Had pins and needles in my hands towards the end. But did not feel like dying. Well, not until the HB narrow stance squats, anyway.

Everything else went up in weight and felt grand. Mostly because they didn't involve squatting.

Pretty sure it's a volume PR though.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 8/2/2017

A) Deadlift (AMRAP-2)
    160kg x 7, 6, 6, 6, 5

105kg x 10, 10, 10, 9

C) DB Row
    32.5kg x 3 x 10 e/s

D1) DB Overhead Press
    22kg DBs x 4 x 12

D2) Leg Press
    230kg x 3 x 10

Finally figured out the feeling of controlling the eccentric of the deadlift and how it made the next pull easier. Not great but it started to make sense. Still too many loose reps that cost me more reps at the end of sets. Disappointed in numbers but  should start to improve on that.

Snatch grip RDLs: unpleasant. They make sense though so hoping I can improve the quality there.

Plenty to work on.

Had to drop the ab rollouts. Three reps in I had a sharp pain just up under my rib. Stopped, had a go again and it was sharper so I called it.

Saturday 11/2/2017

A) Bench (AMRAP-2)
    72.5kg x 9, 9, 9, 9, 8

B) CGBP (AMRAP)
    52.5kg x 19, 15

C) Barbell Row
    72.5kg x 3 x 10

D1) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12

D2) Reverse Flys
    8kg x 3 x 12

E1) Lateral Raise
    8kgs x 3 x 15

E2) Skullcrusher
    30kgs x 3 x 10

F) Russian Twists
    25kgs x 3 x 20/20

G) Wide-Grip Bench (AMRAP)
    52.5kgs x 10, 9

Always find it hard to gauge failure on bench...until I'm doing the roll of shame. So based on last week I thought 9 would be a decent number to start on and hopefully keep rest of sets up around that rather than big drop off like last week...worked out alright.

Still a bit of soreness trying to get in ab rollouts I left on Wednesday so tried Russian twists and no issue with soreness. They were tougher than I remembered.

7 reps into 1st set of wide grip bench I had my eye on 12+. But then my arms and chest muscles spontaneously combusted and I only just ground out a 10th rep.

That all felt a lot better than last week.

Monday 13/2/2017

120kg x 11, 11, 10, 11, 10

88.5kg x 18, 19

C) Lat Pulldown
    110kg x 3 x 10

87.5kg x 3 x 12

D2) EZ Bar Curl
    28.5kg x 3 x 15

E) Ab Pulldown
    3 x 15

Despite knowing how hard it would be, I was looking forward to squatting. 120kg seems to be a landmark of sorts as a number. It's only 75% but it's still a big boost mentally to get the reps in at that number...maybe cos it was a number I once felt daunted by, I dunno.  Gauged them right as well because felt like I recovered relatively quickly at end of each set. Had a target to get 10+ in each set just to get in more reps across 5 sets than before (49).

It is only 75% but it was sans belt and with 3s eccentric, so a lot harder but more reps. And good positional control.

Lat pulldowns felt strong too. First session back at the high volume where I started to feel less like a newborn lamb.

110kg lat pulldown good lord
    I need to up my game here :D

110kg lat pulldown good lord
    I need to up my game here :D

If I used one of the machines with cables and all that, it would be a lot less.

But it's just that they felt more comfortable than they did before at that weight on that machine, regardless of the number :)

Do you not use a machine?

Do you not use a machine?

Yeah but not with cables and pulleys etc. It's just levers and you put plates on one end and pull down the other so a lot less frictional resistance than cable type ones.

Something like this:

Lat-pulldown.jpg

Oooo I've never seen that before!

PS sorry about all the questions and well done on your progress!
    It's great when you pwn a weight you used to struggle with

Oooo I've never seen that before!

PS sorry about all the questions and well done on your progress!
    It's great when you pwn a weight you used to struggle with

Not at all. I do like that machine cos at least it's reasonable consistent. Cable ones tend to get worse unless well maintained so you could feel like you're going backwards but it's just the machine is getting stiffer and so more friction.

The high volume stuff is really tough but you know it's worth it down the line. Last two weeks, squats -> ded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Not at all. I do like that machine cos at least it's reasonable consistent. Cable ones tend to get worse unless well maintained so you could feel like you're going backwards but it's just the machine is getting stiffer and so more friction.

The high volume stuff is really tough but you know it's worth it down the line. Last two weeks, squats -> ded.

I honestly dont know how you do so many squat reps:eek: its nuts

• Advertisement

EmcD123 wrote: »

Because I'm told to and because I want to push it to be better than before :)

It gets less nuts every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

EmcD123 wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. Seeing Alf's and WHIP IT's high rep stuff makes me want to puke

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. Seeing Alf's and WHIP IT's high rep stuff makes me want to puke

Was right there with you on the puking 2 weeks ago.

Wednesday 15/2/2017

A) Deadlift (AMRAP-2)
    165kg x 7, 6, 6, 4

110kg x 10, 10, 10, 9

C) DB Row
    35kg x 3 x 10 e/s

D) Leg Press
    250kg x 3 x 10

E) DB Overhead Press
    22.5kg DBs x 4 x 12

E) Ab Rollout
    3 x 15

Not really sure wtf happened on 4th set of DLs. 5th rep flew up and stopped and dropped in a sudden. Annoyed. Will take more rest between sets and learn to stop a rep earlier in the early sets to give myself an extra 2 in later sets. Win or learn. First couple of sets had felt great though. Way better at getting myself into position for the next rep after each one. That was a positive, at least.

Snatch grip RDLs are horrible. They're good but they're horrible. Started the rows after and the warm ups with 15s felt heavy cos lats had worked hard.

Quad cramped on last rep of leg press halfway up. Not ideal. Had to finish out the rep/get it past the point where I could put the 'brake' in.

DB OHP was probably as good as it's ever been and ab rollouts were ab rollouts.

Snatch grip are yuck

Saturday 18/2/2017 

A) Bench (AMRAP-2)
    75kg x 9, 8, 8, 9, 7

B) CGBP (AMRAP)
    55kg x 18, 17

C) Barbell Row
    75kg x 3 x 10

D1) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12

D2) Reverse Flys
    9kg x 3 x 12

E1) Lateral Raise
    9kgs x 3 x 15

E2) Skullcrusher
    30kgs x 3 x 11

F) Pec Deck
    3 x AMRAP

Probably pushed the 2nd last set of bench a bit too close to failure. Thought I had the two reps in the tank but the last rep was slower than expected. That told on last set. At least the CGBPs didn't really suffer.

Forgot fractional plates for skullcrushers so did sets of 11 instead of 10.

No benches free at the end to do wide grip bench or any free weight stuff so hopped on the pec deck to give the pecs a bit more attention.

Pretty sure I did actually break my toe a few weeks ago - still swollen and walking is uncomfortable. No major discomfort lifting though - sore during squats but the high volume makes the toe the least of the discomfort.

Monday 20/2/2017

125kg x 10, 9, 10, 9, 9

92.5kg x 17, 16 (or 17)

C) Lat Pulldown
    112.5kg x 3 x 10

90kg x 3 x 12

D2) EZ Bar Curl
    30kg x 3 x 15

E) Ab Pulldown
    3 x 15

Lack of sleep last night so didn't fancy doing all of the squats. Reasonably happy with the volume. Couple of loose ones on last set and didn't keep tight enough but nothing awful.

Looking forward to whenever I get to do normal squats again.  Feels like I have benefitted from the beltless squats though-really feel it in my abdominals cos of the bracing hard. And the work capacity.

Wednesday 22/2/2017

A) Deadlift (AMRAP-2)
    172.5kg x 5, 5, 4, 4, 4

120kg x 9, 6, 7, 6

C) DB Row
    37.5kg x 3 x 10 e/s

D) Leg Press
    260kg x 3 x 10

E) Ab Rollout
    3 x 15

DLs went from ok to slop to ok. As soon as I tried to readjust some things I started to think too hard and it slowed down and made the lift heavier. Need to just wrap my head around it again.

Thought I might have gone too heavy on the rows but managed them without letting ROM drop off.

Think I've always underestimated/been sceptical of the leg press as a worthwhile exercise but I appreciate their place after last few weeks. Serious quad feels from the

Dropped the DB OHPs. It's been a draining day outside of training so just did the prescribed work.

Looking forward to a boring deload next week.

Saturday 25/2/2017

A) Bench (AMRAP-2)
    78.5kg x 7, 7, 6, 6, 5

B) CGBP (AMRAP)
    58.5kg x 16, 14

C) Barbell Row
    77.5kg x 3 x 10

D1) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12

D2) Reverse Flys
    9kg x 3 x 12

E1) Lateral Raise
    10kgs x 3 x 15

E2) Skullcrusher
    32.5kgs x 3 x 10

Had to do a bit of work this morning that meant I had a 14k cycle to start off.

Bench felt sh*t. Disappointing. Got a big ol' cramp in left hip on last set, just to round the benching off on a good note...

Everything else was fine.

Did sumo DLs at the end because (a) it may be brought into training as an accessory for a particular reason and (b) my left pec had felt a minor twinge so didn't think the wide grip benching would help. As expected: did not like them...but pretty sure they would work for the reason I'd be doing them.

• Advertisement

Sumos are spreading! Muahahaha

Advertisement