Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sumos are spreading! Muahahaha

It'll never be my main deadlift but I can appreciate how hard it works the hips and how that will help me in squat and deadlift.

But let's be clear...they suck donkey balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It'll never be my main deadlift but I can appreciate how hard it works the hips and how that will help me in squat and deadlift.

But let's be clear...they suck donkey balls.

I found I really felt it along the flutes and down along the outside of the legs and hips. Is that just me?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I found I really felt it along the flutes and down along the outside of the legs and hips. Is that just me?

It might be just you that felt it along the flute.

But yeah you should be feeling it in the hips and the hardest part is breaking the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hips and inside legs for me!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 28/2/2017

A) Squats - no belt/sleeves
    137.5kg x 3

B) Narrow-Stance HB Squat
    97.5kg x 2 x 5

C) Lat Pulldown
    90kg x 2 x 8

Worked up to a triple @9 sans belt and sleeves. I wasn't sure what I'd be going for so tried 132.5 and that felt like a 7.5/8 so up again to137.5. Second rep was a bit sloppy and third was better but should have been cleaner.

My 3RM was 145 with belt and sleeves before we got into the strength training so at the same stage to get 137.5 with no belt/sleeves is a decent marker.

The rest was a snooze fest because deload.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

Did you feel it in the flute?

COH wrote: »
    Did you feel it in the flute?

Just the tip.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Looks like you are always making great progress whenever I check in on your log. What is your current age and weight? I see from the first page you are around 6 ft.

Your overhead press seems disproportionately strong compared to your bench based on the figures below. What is your max bench?
    Wednesday 15/2/2017
    E) DB Overhead Press
    22.5kg DBs x 4 x 12

Saturday 25/2/2017
    A) Bench (AMRAP-2)
    78.5kg x 7, 7, 6, 6, 5

BossArky wrote: »
    Looks like you are always making great progress whenever I check in on your log. What is your current age and weight? I see from the first page you are around 6 ft.

Your overhead press seems disproportionately strong compared to your bench based on the figures below. What is your max bench?

Cheers chief. 6ft / 183cm and 80-81kg. And 36 yo.

Max bench is 97.5kg. That was 3rd lift in comp maybe 6 weeks ago and was a PR (equalled touch and go PR in training) but felt like 100 would have gone if I'd contemplated it.

The DB OHP above was probably a volume PR at that weight, to be fair, and the 78.5 was the end of a block of high volume and was lower than expected, which probably explains why OHP looks a lot stronger.

But my bench is my worst lift anyway.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 1/3/2017

A) Snatch Grip RDL
    97.5kg x 2 x 8

B) DB Row
    30kg x 3 x 8 e/s

C) Leg Press
    210kg x 2 x 12

As boring as it looks. Mercifully the boredom was short lived.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Cheers chief. 6ft / 183cm and 80-81kg. And 36 yo.

Max bench is 97.5kg. That was 3rd lift in comp maybe 6 weeks ago and was a PR (equalled touch and go PR in training) but felt like 100 would have gone if I'd contemplated it.

The DB OHP above was probably a volume PR at that weight, to be fair, and the 78.5 was the end of a block of high volume and was lower than expected, which probably explains why OHP looks a lot stronger.

But my bench is my worst lift anyway.

Nice! I just went back and read your competition post. Well done!

We now have the same Squat PR (160kg) in comp. You kill me on Deads (me: 180kg vs you: 220kg) & I've got a bit on you on Bench (me: 112.5kg vs you: 97.5kg). Bench is probably my best lift & Deads definetly my worst.

I'm 35 - but probably the opposite body type to you: 83kg & 171cm.

Congrats - you are my new rival. Lol.

BossArky wrote: »
    Nice! I just went back and read your competition post. Well done!

We now have the same Squat PR (160kg) in comp. You kill me on Deads (me: 180kg vs you: 220kg) & I've got a bit on you on Bench (me: 112.5kg vs you: 97.5kg). Bench is probably my best lift & Deads definetly my worst.

I'm 35 - but probably the opposite body type to you: 83kg & 171cm.

Congrats - you are my new rival. Lol.

:D

It probably points towards a physical element too that my deadlift is my best and bench my worst. My arms are long. It's not an excuse - it's still a poor bench :)

The comp was some buzz! So end of May is the next one.

Friday 3/3/2017

A) Bench
    90kg x 3

B) CGBP
    60kg x 2 x 5

C) Barbell Row
    62.5kg x 2 x 8

Bench was supposed to be a triple at 9. 85 flew up so went at 90. First two reps were lovely and felt like I'd two in the tank. Last was a bit sloppy so it ended up being a triple at 10. Annoying to misjudge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Close grip is flying.

Close grip is flying.

Haha, I was wondering when I read that! "Wtf?"

My thumbs have been bulking a little too enthusiastically :(

Thursday 9/3/2017

A) HB Squat
    97.5kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    80kg x 5 (@8.5/9)
    60kg x 4 x 8

C) Incline DB Bench
    20kg x 2 x 12

D1) Lat Pulldown
    100kg x 5 x 15

D2) Reverse Flys
    5kg x 5 x 20

E1) Lateral Raise
    7kg x 3 x 20

E2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 20

Haven't trained since last Friday because life but PR'd that so back training.

My squat looked funky...Didn't feel funky but watched it videoed from behind and lot of shifting to one side so need to try some hip stretching and mobility and see what mitigates it.

Gonna try get in early on Saturday for next session before Brandon Lilly seminar.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

E2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 20

Had to google these. Any significant difference with tricep pushdowns?

Had to google these. Any significant difference with tricep pushdowns?

Not really in terms of the movement but I find them a little easier on my elbows. Given the rationale for high bar squats ahead of the heavier benching day, there's possibly something in that.

Saturday 11/3/2017

A) LB Squat
    142.5kg x 5
    110kg x 2 x 8
    110kg x 18

B) Block Pull (~3" blocks)
    165kg x 5, 5, 7

C) Hamstring Curl
    82.5kg x 5 x 15

D) DB Chest-supported Row
    20kg x 3 x 20

E1) Weighted Plank
    +20kg x 3 x 60s

E2) KB Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 15 e/s

In at 8.30...hungover. Dreaded going in but once the squats started happening I felt relatively ok. Triple at 135 felt better than expected so went to 140. Rep max at 140 is 7 and supposed to leave ~2 in the tank with the 5 so 140 seemed about right. But as I started to put on wrist wraps I decided to push it to 142.5. Was grand. Possibly could have done the 5 @8.5 with 145 so based the back off sets off that.
    Felt the hangover on the last back off set...

First set of block pulls felt tough but second and third sets felt way better. Crisper.

Forgot how much the weighted planks would burn. Thought there was a chance I'd see my breakfast again on the last one.

Don't think I appreciated how hard all that would be

• Advertisement

Monday 13/3/2017

A) Deadlift
    155kg x 5 x 5

B) Squat
    105kg x 8 x 5

C) Bench
    60kg x 14, 13, 12

D) Elevated Split Squat
    20kg DBs x 2 x 12 e/a

E1) Back Extension
    +20kg x 3 x 15

E2) Banded Ab Pulldown
    3 x 15

E3) DB Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 15 e/s

Deads moved nicely enough.
    Tried out Brandon Lilly's tip for my squat and it's hard to tell at that percentage but it did feel good.

That got tough towards the end. 

This first week of this phase has been as tough as I've ever had. Or not far off. The lifting at the seminar on Saturday probably didn't help but the last few exercises each day were hard. Recovery has been alright though and happy enough with how the main lifts have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't know there was gonna be lifting at the seminar that's so cool

Do you map out your workout plans well in advance or are you following any specific program at the moment?

Do you map out your workout plans well in advance or are you following any specific program at the moment?

When I had put together something myself I had programmed a rough map of where I was going but I had a good idea of how sets amd reps would change as time went on.

But I'm following a program that has been put together for me at the minute and since the next comp is a bit away yet, just hitting up some volume but getting in variations of the main lifts a couple of times a week with a main day for each one and variations on other days.

Wednesday 15/3/2017

A) HB Squat
    102.5kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    82.5kg x 4 (@8.5)
    60kg x 3 x 8
    60kg x 10

C) Flat DB Bench
    25kg x 11, 12

D1) Lat Pulldown
    105kg x 5 x 12

D2) Band Pull-apart
    5 x 20

E1) Lateral Raise
    10kg x 3 x 15

E2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 15

Forgot squat shoes so squats in my flats. Felt better than last week. Kept more upright. Stayed with what Brandon Lilly suggested but will only really be able to tell how it feels under a heavy squat. So Friday I'll know better.

Bench was on the money this week.  Smooth. Back off sets felt stronger too.  Except for the second set which I laughed my way through.

Solid session. Good craic.

Friday 17/3/2017

A) LB Squat
    147.5kg x 4 (@8.5)
    112.5kg x 2 x 8
    112.5kg x 17

B) Paused Deadlift (2s pause)
    165kg x 12 x 1

C) Hamstring Curl
    85kg x 5 x 12

D) DB Chest-supported Row
    25kg x 3 x 15

E1) Weighted Plank
    +20kg x 3 x 60s

E2) KB Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 12 e/s

Reasonably happy with the squats. Was about right for 8.5. Now I think of it, that's a rep PR at 147.5kg. All well in too.

Happy with the deadlifts. They didn't fly up but they moved smoothly and the form was solid. 2-min rests.

All in all, didn't feel as gruelling as last week. Acclimatised to all of the volume, I guess.

What does the 8.5 mean?

What does the 8.5 mean?

It's from the RPE (rate of perceived exertion) scale.

So 10 would be an absolute max and the 4 was all I could get. 9.5 would be if I thought I could maybe get a 5th rep. 9 is definitely had another rep in me.

And means I definitely had a 5th rep and possibly a 6th

chart.jpg

Monday 20/3/2017

A) Deadlift
    161kg x 5 x 5

B) Squat
    112.5kg x 7 x 5

C) Bench
    62.5kg x 14, 13, 13

D) Elevated Split Squat
    22.5kg DBs x 2 x 10 e/s

E1) Back Extension
    +22.5kg x 3 x 12

E2) Banded Ab Pulldown
    3 x 12

E3) DB Side Bend
    42.5kg x 3 x 12 e/s

Deadlifts moved nicely. Still looks like I'm not getting my hips low enough and even when it feels like they're way down they still look too high. But they moved crisply enough at least. Starting to overthink them a bit less anyway.

Squats moved really well. Added lots of depth and they were smooth. But they should be at 70%.

Elevated/bulgarian split squats are awful. But effective. Unilateral work seems to have always yielded results for me.

Felt way better at the end of this week's session. Wasn't flagging and got stuck into the last few exercises.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22/3/2017

A) HB Squat
    105kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    85kg x 3 (@8.5)
    64kg x 3 x 8
    64kg x 10

C) Decline DB Bench
    27.5kg x 12, 11

D1) Lateral Raise
    12.5kg x 3 x 12

D2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 12

E1) Lat Pulldown
    107.5kg x 5 x 10

E2) Band Pull-apart
    5 x 20

Squats felt smooth enough.

Bench was a bit disappointing. Last rep wasn't great and yeah it was about an 8/8.5 but I'd hoped it might feel like 7/7.5. But there's next time.

Lat pulldowns supposed to be at 110 and when I was stripping the weights off at the end I copped the plates left on to keep the end weighted down were 1.25s and not the usual 2.5s. FFS.

Advertisement