Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lat pulldowns supposed to be at 110 and when I was stripping the weights off at the end I copped the plates left on to keep the end weighted down were 1.25s and not the usual 2.5s. FFS.

I really have to try your magic +50kg lat PD setup sometime :D

what do band pull aparts do for you
    I always thought they were just warm ups

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    I really have to try your magic +50kg lat PD setup sometime :D

what do band pull aparts do for you
    I always thought they were just warm ups

The BPAs are a good warm up and theyre not really any different here. Get the rear delts working and activate upper back muscles but it's not really any different to doing them at the start.

Friday 24/3/2017

A) LB Squat
    151kg x 5
    115kg x 2 x 8
    115kg x 20

B) Deficit Deadlift (~1.5" deficit)
    165kg x 3 x 5

C) Hamstring Curl
    92.5kg x 5 x 10

D) DB Chest-supported Row
    27.5kg x 3 x 12

E1) Weighted Plank
    +20kg x 3 x 65s

E2) DB Side Bend
    42.5kg x 3 x 10

Had 150 in mind for this week but it 151kg for a psychological boost. Have done 3 doubles at 150 before so would have been a rep PR at 150 anyway. Supposed to be @8.5 but it was no more than 7.5 at most. Didn't realise that til the 3rd rep so I wasn't going up for another triple at that point so went again but 4th rep felt like an 8 so took a 5th and bumped up the back off sets. If I didn't have a deload next week, I wouldn't have pushed it a bit extra. Happy with the volume of back off sets too. 9 weeks to go and I'm starting to feel confident of a PR on the platform.

Deads were grand to start but my legs were pretty tired so I was finding it hard to keep the legs driving in last reps of sets. Felt a bit of a twinge in my right knee on last set and noticed the last 2 reps I had pushed the hips up to take the legs out of it, possibly subconsciously protecting the knee. Glad it was last set.

Used DB instead of KB for side bends just because wanted to up the weight a little. Wasn't going to 25kg plate for planks so just made them a touch longer.

In hindsight, I should probably have stopped at 3, taken a good long rest and gone for a true triple @8.5.

Had some free time I hadn't banked on so went in and do some rolling and mobility work. Feel great for it.

Monday 27/3/2017

A) Deadlift
    167.5 x 5 x 5

B) Squat
    120kg x 6 x 5

C) Bench (@9)
    65kg x 13, 11, 10

D) Elevated Split Squat
    25kg DBs x 2 x 8 e/s

E1) Back Extension
    +25kg x 3 x 10

E2) Banded Ab Pulldown
    3 x 10

E3) DB Side Bend
    45kg x 3 x 10 e/s

Managed to slice a chunk off top of my ring finger yesterday which made deadlifts a little uncomfortable, despite having mummified the sh*t out of it. Think I'm overthinking how low/high my hips are and need to get back to doing what felt good 6 months ago.

For so long 120kg was a big milestone for me. Daunting even. It still makes me smile to rep it with relative ease even though it's well shy of my last warm up for a comp. Guess it just reminds me of the value of perseverance, working hard and building

• Advertisement

Wednesday 29/3/2017

A) Bench
    80kg x 6 (@8)
    57.5kg x 8, 20

B) Incline DB Bench
    20kg x 2 x 15

C) Lat Pulldown
    95kg x 2 x 20

D1) Lateral Raise
    7kg x 2 x 25

D2) OH Rope Extension
    2 x 25

Deload this week.

4 reps into benching 77.5, it wasn't going to be near an @8 for 6 reps so up to 80. The 6 reps at 80 was @8.  Maybe @7.5. Comfortable, smooth, happy. Three or four weeks ago, 5 reps at 80 was @9. Moving in the right direction.

The rest was a pump-fest.  Lats, chest and triceps felt hyoooej.

Saturday 1/4/2017

A) Squat
    145kg x 6 (@8)
    102.5kg x 2 x 8

B) Hamstring Curl
    80kg x 2 x 20

C) DB Chest-supported Row
    22kg x 2 x 20

D1) Weighted Plank
    +20kg x 2 x 60s

D2) KB Side Bend
    37.5kg x 2 x 20

Figured the top set would be at 142.5. Last two warm up reps didn't feel great but I changed the weight on the bar to 145 and it was a solid 6 @8. Def no more than @8 anyway. Borderline @7.5 perhaps. Then I remembered that was my opener for last comp. Moving on up.

Monday 3/4/2017

A) Deadlift
    122.5 x 2 x 5

B) Elevated Split Squat
    20kg DBs x 2 x 15 e/s

C) Back Extension
    +17.5kg x 3 x 20

D1) Banded Ab Pulldown
    3 x 20

D2) DB Side Bend
    37.5kg x 3 x 20 e/s

Deload 3/3.

Today was grand. Bit of a pump from the split squats.

Enjoyed the deload in general. Been able to refresh but with enough weight for a single top set on bench and squat to keep it interesting

Wednesday 5/4/2017

A) HB Squat (no belt/sleeves)
    110kg x 5 x 4

B) Bench
    82.5kg x 5
    66kg x 5, 5, 12

C) Incline DB Bench
    25kgs x 10
    27.5kgs x 10

25kg x 5 x 12

E1) Lateral Raises
    12.5kg x 3 x 15

D2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 15

HB squats felt fine. Keeping torso upright so no problems.

Bench was just ok. 82.5 was spot on for 5 @9. Didn't feel as smooth as last week but it's not too far off.

Incline DB bench felt strong after though. It was 20s for 2x12 a month ago.

Feels like the start of the business end of this training cycle. Have targets for the comp in mind so gonna have to give this everything to get there.

Saturday 8/4/2017

A) LB Squat
    152.5kg x 5 (@9)
    122.5kg x 5, 5, 13

B) Block Deadlift (~3" block)
    175kg x 4, 4, 6

C) Hamstring Curl
    90kg x 5 x 12

D) Lat Pulldown
    102.5kg x 3 x 15

E1) Weighted Plank
    +20kg x 3 x 60s

E2) DB Side Bend
    40kg x 3 x 15

A set of 5 @9 with 95%. It's fair to say I'm happy with that. Last rep I got a bit loose and was caught forward. Ground it out. Confident there was another rep there though. A month ago 142.5 was an @8/8.5. Not a massive improvement but big mental boost to do 5 reps only 7.5kg shy of my max.

Back off sets are a higher % now so bit tougher on the last set than before. Moved nicely for the most part though.

Block pulls moved alright. Smooth enough.

Then I looked at the program and saw I still had all of the sets left to do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'd say you'll easily get a PR when you test again on squat

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'd say you'll easily get a PR when you test again on squat

Test day will be the comp and I should have a new max but I intend to have at least tripled my current max by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

Test day will be the comp and I should have a new max but I intend to have at least tripled my current max by then :)

Probably a bit unrealistic to expect to squat 480kg by then

COH wrote: »

That's loser talk.

COH wrote: »

Ha that what I was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Go big or go home amirite

Monday 10/4/2017

A) Deadlift
    175kg x 5 x 5

B) Squat
    110kg x 8 x 5

C) Bench
    66kg x 13, 11, 11

D) Bulgarian/Elevated Split Squats
    22.5kg DBs x 2 x 10

E1) Back Extension
    25kg x 3 x 12

E2) Barbell Shrugs
    100kg x 3 x 12

Expected there to be more of a struggle with the last reps towards the end but there wasn't. Started to stop thinking and they came up faster, with more violent intent.

Squats were grand. First set was messy but was grand after that.

It always reads as being handy once squats are done but never works out that way.

Wednesday 12/4/2017

A) HB Squat
    115kg x 5 x 4

B) Bench
    87.5kg x 4
    70kg x 5, 5, 11

C) Flat DB Bench
    30kgs x 2 x 10

27.5kg x 5 x 12

E1) Lateral Raises
    3 x 15

D2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 15

HB squats were ok. Last 2 sets were smooth.

Bench was ok. I'll give it a B-. Moved grip in a few mm on back off sets and it felt better.

Assumed the sets of flat DB bench would be with the 27.5s but felt handy a few reps in so up to 30s. Was 2x12 with 20s a month ago.

Friday 14/4/2017

A) Squat
    157.5kg x 4
    125kg x 5, 5, 12

B) Pause Deadlift
    175kg x 10 x 1

C) Hamstring Curl
    5 x 10 (not sure of the weight)

D) Lat Pulldown
    3 x 12 (not sure of the weight)

E1) Weighted Plank
    20kg x 3 x 60s

D2) DB Side Bend
    42kg x 3 x 12

Trained in the Warehouse Gym in Galway today. Was a few miles from Galway and realised I'd forgotten the knee sleeves.

It was a mental battle today. More mental that'll physical. Last time I trained here, the lack of familiarity was off-putting and everything felt heavier because of it. That thought lingered going in. (Never bothered me ahead of the meet in January but this place did, for some strange reason).

The top set was supposed to be @9. Was more like @9.5 when I locked it out. Would have gone again thinking I'd get it anyway if needed be. 2.5kg short of my max.

Should have had another 1 or 2 reps on back off sets but got too loose on 12th rep and made it harder to come out of the hole than it should have been. Reasonably happy with squats though.

The pause DLs felt gack at the start but the 5th one felt smooth and I kicked on from there.

Did planks in push-up position to make a bit harder cos a 5kg jump in weight seems a bridge too far just yet.

• Advertisement

Monday 17/4/2017

A) Deadlift
    180kg x 5 x 4

B) Bench
    70kg x 12, 10, 10

C) Squat
    117.5kg x 7 x 4

D1) Back Extension
    27.5kg x 3 x 10

D2) Barbell Shrugs
    110kg x 3 x 10

E) Bulgarian/Elevated Split Squats
    25kg DBs x 2 x 8

Took a good while to loosen out after bus from Galway but felt alright on the top sets on DL. 1st set was a bit sloppy but the rest were good...mostly cos I injected more intent into the pull off the floor. Last set was the nicest (despite the last rep being a little on the slow side). Most volume I've ever done at 180kg anyway. 3x3 is most I've done at 180+ and that Was 187.5kg.

Not a rack to be had for love nor money so had to bench after DLs. 

Shoulders felt gammy all day since I woke up. But no problem with them when it came to benching.

Made the squats look like they should from the first rep.

Moved elevated/Bulgarian split squats after drop set to give legs a break after squats. Split squats feeling stronger - noticing the improved stability on side that was lagging a bit when I started back at them a few weeks ago. Working those hip muscles, yo.

Expected to feel more sluggish, for everything to feel a touch heavier given the travelling today but it all felt good, felt stronk.

Wednesday 19/4/2017

A) HB Squat
    120kg x 5 x 3

B) Bench
    90kg x 3
    72.5kg x 5, 5, 10

C) Decline DB Bench
    32.5kgs x 10, 9

32.5kg x 5 x 8

E1) Lateral Raises
    12.5kg x 3 x 10

D2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 10

HB squats were ok. Don't know what my maxes are at high bar but that's probably as heavy as I've gone.

Bench was ok. Didn't get bar back at the start of 3rd rep and made it more of a battle than I'd like. Back down sets and decline DB benching felt good though.

Wednesday 19/4/2017

A) HB Squat
    120kg x 5 x 3

B) Bench
    90kg x 3
    72.5kg x 5, 5, 10

C) Decline DB Bench
    32.5kgs x 10, 9

32.5kg x 5 x 8

E1) Lateral Raises
    12.5kg x 3 x 10

D2) OH Rope Extension
    3 x 10

HB squats were ok. Don't know what my maxes are at high bar but that's probably as heavy as I've gone.

Bench was ok. Didn't get bar back at the start of 3rd rep and made it more of a battle than I'd like. Back down sets and decline DB benching felt good though.

How much extra can you lift low bar versus high bar

How much extra can you lift low bar versus high bar

Should be looking for a high bar that's 80%+ of low bar.

High bar is just a different lift. You let yourself get pushed forward in the hole and you're in for a battle. And your quads are taking the load more than low bar.

Should be looking for a high bar that's 80%+ of low bar.

High bar is just a different lift. You let yourself get pushed forward in the hole and you're in for a battle. And your quads are taking the load more than low bar.

Wish I could low bar ha

High bar suits some people better. John Haack, for example.

I have longer femurs so it doesn't work for me as a main squat. Great squat accessory for me though.

High bar suits some people better. John Haack, for example.

I have longer femurs so it doesn't work for me as a main squat. Great squat accessory for me though.

So do I!! But I've long long arms. Would that hold me back? My arms and shoulder flexibility are the restraining factors for me

So do I!! But I've long long arms. Would that hold me back? My arms and shoulder flexibility are the restraining factors for me

Arms shouldn't really be that big a factor in squat. My arms are longer hence my bench is my weakest lift but conversely my deadlift is stronger.

Arms shouldn't really be that big a factor in squat. My arms are longer hence my bench is my weakest lift but conversely my deadlift is stronger.

Same for myself. I don't know what it is then cause I've reasonable flexibility all over. But when I place the bar in LB position I can't get my hands onto the bar. I'd nearly want to be holding outside the bar holders

• Advertisement

Same for myself. I don't know what it is then cause I've reasonable flexibility all over. But when I place the bar in LB position I can't get my hands onto the bar. I'd nearly want to be holding outside the bar holders

Work on shoulder flexibility. You see people squatting with really wide grips and squatting big so it shouldn't be much of a hindrance.

I widened my grip one session before last comp to take some pressure off an arm issue but the bar didn't feel locked in cos my upper back wasn't as tight.

Advertisement