Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Same for myself. I don't know what it is then cause I've reasonable flexibility all over. But when I place the bar in LB position I can't get my hands onto the bar. I'd nearly want to be holding outside the bar holders

Work on shoulder flexibility. You see people squatting with really wide grips and squatting big so it shouldn't be much of a hindrance.

I widened my grip one session before last comp to take some pressure off an arm issue but the bar didn't feel locked in cos my upper back wasn't as tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Work on shoulder flexibility. You see people squatting with really wide grips and squatting big so it shouldn't be much of a hindrance.

I widened my grip one session before last comp to take some pressure off an arm issue but the bar didn't feel locked in cos my upper back wasn't as tight.

I'll have to work more on mobility. Wide grip at the minute has my pinkies touching off the bar holders. I can see that goin pear shaped very quick

I'll have to work more on mobility. Wide grip at the minute has my pinkies touching off the bar holders. I can see that goin pear shaped very quick

Whatever works but try to improve shoulder mobility if for no other reason than to see if you can bring your grip amd how it affects your squat. It might have no impact bit it also might.

Friday 21/4/2017

A) LB Squat
    160kg x 3
    165kg x 3
    132.5kg x 5, 5, 13

B) Deficit Deadlift
    177.5kg x 4, 4, 4

C) Hamstring Curl
    95kg x 5 x 8

D) Lat Pulldown
    112.5kg x 3 x 10

E1) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 60s

E2) DB Side Bend
    45kg x 3 x 10

Was doing a bit of work on the flooring at home on Wednesday evening and had back spasm. Short one...But had another couple and it was a bit twitchy at times yesterday morning so I just decided to gauge things today and if anything happened, I'd head home. Took smaller jumps in warm up to gauge if there was going to be an issue before I got under the top set. 155 moved nicely so 160 was on.

The 160 seemed like an @8. I knew I'd cut the 2nd rep a touch high so pushed to 165kg and to bury them. I did but it would have been nice if the phone hadn't fallen over. I like to have these PRs for posterity. Anyway, really happy about that! Did not expect 165kg x 3 at all. Def a rep in the tank too! The 132.5kg x 13 is probably a PR too.

Kept volume on DL warm ups low so as not to risk aggravating the back even though it had been fine in squat but the times it seemed to spasm the lower back was in flexion so had to make sure that didn't happen. They felt good from that point of view. Moved a little slowly but smoothly nonetheless. The last set move the best but kept it conservative this week so as not to risk anything that might affect the next weeks.

All the rest was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ibuprofen might be a plan

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ibuprofen might be a plan

Yup. Have that taken care of :)

I haven't felt anything today. I just didn't want to risk anything today.

Won't be long before you're pushing 200kg squat I'd say

Won't be long before you're pushing 200kg squat I'd say

Haha. Steady on.

Next goal is 4 plates.

Haha. Steady on.

Next goal is 4 plates.

What is considered 1 plate? 20kg?

What is considered 1 plate? 20kg?

Yeah. But the plates in a comp are 25kg

• Advertisement

Haha. Steady on.

Next goal is 4 plates.

I can squat 4 plates
    If they're 2.5kg plates

I can squat 4 plates
    If they're 2.5kg plates

Reminds me...there's this guy in the gym whose speciality is mental sh*t. Saw him benching one day with all the 2.5s. Almost all of them, probably. Think he finished at 50/55 with all 2.5s. Then shoved them all off the bar in one go...

Monday 24/4/2017

A) Deadlift
    187.5kg x 5 x 3

B) Squat
    125kg x 6 x 4

C) Bench
    72.5kg x 10, 10, 10

D) Bulgarian/Elevated Split Squats
    27.5kg DBs x 2 x 6

E1) Back Extension
    30kg x 3 x 8

E2) Barbell Shrugs
    115kg x 3 x 8

Lasagne too close to deadlifting meant trying not to see it again was as tough as the deadlifting itself. Looking back, the most I've done with heavier was 3 doubles with 190kg so happy with the extra volume only 2.5kg shy of that.

Time for short deload and into prep for competition starting next week.

Wednesday 26/4/2017

A) LB Squat
    152.5kg x 6 (@8)
    112.5kg x 2 x 8

B) Incline DB Bench
    27.5kgs x 2 x 12

C) Hamstring Curl
    87.5kg x 2 x 12

D) DB Chest-Supported Row
    25kgs x 2 x 15

E1) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 2 x 60s

E2) DB Side Bend
    42.5kg x 2 x 15

'Deload'. Would have been bench today and squat Saturday but first session in a long, long time on Friday so swapped...

On the 4th rep of 152.5kg I lost concentration and didn't keep upper back tight enough. Lost it forward. Went again. No chance of missing the second time. Possibly went too deep on 6th rep and lost a bit of tightness at the bottom making it a bit harder but was no bother. Last time I did 152.5 it was for 5 @9. Reps north of 150 is building the confidence. Depth not an issue.

Getting stronger across the DB bench variations too. Last time on incline it was a set of 10 with 25s then 27.5s.

Saturday 29/4/2017

A) Bench
    85kg x 6 (@8)
    63.5kg x 2 x 8

B) DB Flat Bench
    30kgs x 2 x 12

C) Lat Pulldown
    102.5kg x 2 x 15

E1) Lateral Raise
    10kg x 2 x 15

E2) OH Tricep Extension
    2 x 15

Kinda thought a set of 6 @8 with 82.5kg might be just a touch too much today but 3 reps into set with 82.5kg it felt a bit lighter than it should. So on to 85kg. Nailed it. Pretty happy with that, cos wasn't happy how the triple with 90 felt last week so good to get a good set in and get back on track. Set up was really tight - think I've finally sorted that.

Misread what I had to do on Wednesday and mistakenly did the DB incline bench so just did flat bench today. More reps with the 30s. Excelsior.

Main take-home from today: bench when hungover.

Back into final phase of training on Monday for the last 4 weeks into the comp.

Monday 1/5/2017

A) HB Squat
    125kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    90kg x 4 (@9.5)
    77.5kg x 5, 5, 8

C) Incline DB Bench
    30kgs x 8, 10

D) DB Chest-supported Row
    30kg x 5 x 10

E) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12 (pin 10)

And so we see the benefit of someone putting together a program for you cos I sure as hell wouldn't have planned to go at the high bar squat for 5x5 with 125 after how 5x3 with 120 felt ~10 days ago. But 5x5 with 125 went down without it being much of a fight.

Set of 4 @9.5 was called for on bench. After Saturday, it had to be with 90. Have never done more than 3 at 90 and no reps left in the tank either time. Left a rep there today. Moved smoothly too. Woof!

Incline bench was strong too. Probably a rep PR on 2nd set.

Everything moving nicely.

Wednesday 3/5/2017

A) Squat
    160kg x 4 (@9.5)
    140kg x 5, 5, 7

B) Block Pulls
    187.5kg x 3, 3, 4

C) Hamstring Curl
    90kg x 5 x 10

D) Neutral Grip Lat Pulldown
    3 x 10

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 60s

Went to 166kg for top set. After 1st rep I knew it wasn't on for 4 reps tonight. The rep was fine but it wasn't a 4 @9.5 tonight. So dropped back to 160kg. Was about right tonight. Maybe an @9. Bit disappointed not to put up something bigger...but I will. It's only 2 weeks since my 1RM was 160 and did it for 4 tonight with 1 in the tank. Don't think I could have fluked a triple at 165 the other week so I know it's there at least.

Bit more in the way of warm up sets for block pulls. Up in 20kg increments rather than going 60/100/140/160 like I have been lately cos I found my best set wasn't til the 3rd set of 5 working sets because I hadn't prepared myself properly. Seemed to work: 1st set was nice and crisp. Looked back and before last comp, I worked up to a triple at 190 so 3,3,4 at 187.5,  and feeling better than the 190 did, means I feel like I'm on the right track again with my deadlift. Hamstrings know all about it already.

Saturday 5/5/2017

A) Deadlift
    195kg x 5 x 3

B) Squat
    115kg x 8 x 3

C) Bench
    77.5kg x 8, 8, 7

D) Bulgarian/Elevated Split Squats
    27.5kg DBs x 2 x 8 e/s

E) Back Extension
    30kg x 3 x 10

Well, that's a volume PR in that weight territory for the DL anyway. Last training cycle, the most I did was 3 doubles at 190 and 2 doubles at 200 the last heavy week before comp. Last rep on 3rd set was slow but didn't stop. Did make me wonder if I'd see out the last 2 sets in full. But then the 4th set felt lovely...just got tighter and it broke the floor more crisply. Was pretty damn happy after that set. Overall, that's as good as they have felt in a long time.

Edit: just realised 195 became my 3RM.

Was glad of the lower % squats afterwards.

Front of right delt felt a bit gammy after lying on my side all night so thought the benching would be poor enough but didn't notice it once I got going and happy enough with how the benching itself felt.

Monday 8/5/2017

A) HB Squat
    130kg x 4 x 4

B) Bench
    95kg x 2+F
    92.5kg x 3 (@9)
    80kg x 4, 4, 8

C) Flat DB Bench
    32.5kgs x 8, 10

D) DB Chest-supported Row
    32.5kg x 5 x 10

E) Lateral Raise
    3 x 12

Wtf high bar? That was more comfortable than I anticipated. 2 loose reps where didn't keep back tight enough gave myself a harder rep than I needed to. But that was solid. And saw clock after and realised I must have taken <3 mins between sets cos forgot phone to time.

Was pretty confident I'd make the 95x3 @9.5 but just couldn't lock out 3rd rep. Gave it a good 5 mins before conceding. The 92.5kg was comfortable despite making an absolute balls of the 2nd rep. I'd thought I'd be topping out with a triple with 93.5kg @9.5 before I came in, which seems about right. Never thought I wouldn't make 95 once I decided to load the bar with it though. Ah well...still a 3RM, I guess.

Rest was grand.

Wednesday 10/5/2017

A) Squat
    167.5kg x  3 (@9.5)
    142.5kg x 3 x 4

B) Paused Deadlift
    187.5kg x 8 x 1

C) Hamstring Curl
    92.5kg x 5 x 10

D) Lat Pulldown
    115kg x 3 x 10

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 60s

I thought about being conservative on the triple and put on 165 but I had done that before and despite last week, I went for 167.5kg. Triple felt good. Fu*king delighted with that.

Paused deadlifts were gack. Wasn't pulling the bar hard off the floor to the pause and wasn't keeping lats tight. Will need to address that at the weekend.

• Advertisement

I'd be shocked if you don't get over 500 in your next comp

I'd be shocked if you don't get over 500 in your next comp

Yeah I think I set the 480kg target too early in the training cycle.

Have you hit 100 on the bench yet?

Have you hit 100 on the bench yet?

Nope. It's by far my worst lift. Intend to get there at the comp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Wednesday 10/5/2017

A) Squat
    167.5kg x  3 (@9.5)
    142.5kg x 3 x 4

B) Paused Deadlift
    187.5kg x 8 x 1

C) Hamstring Curl
    92.5kg x 5 x 10

D) Lat Pulldown
    115kg x 3 x 10

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 60s

I thought about being conservative on the triple and put on 165 but I had done that before and despite last week, I went for 167.5kg. Triple felt good. Fu*king delighted with that.

Paused deadlifts were gack. Wasn't pulling the bar hard off the floor to the pause and wasn't keeping lats tight. Will need to address that at the weekend.

Quality stuff mate well done. How much are you weighing now?

FTA69 wrote: »
    Quality stuff mate well done. How much are you weighing now?

About 82-83 kg. Lifting in the -83kg grade in comp so tried to bring up weight to that from 80-81 last time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Beast

FTA69 wrote: »
    Beast

Haha, not at all. I'll be down towards the bottom of the rankings in my weight class in the comp.

Not that it matters - platform PRs are all that matter to me.

Are you in the Saturday so

• Advertisement

Are you in the Saturday so

Yop.

Kinda ruins the plans but it is what it is.

Advertisement