Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Saturday 12/5/2017

A) Deadlift
    202.5kg x 3 x 2

B) Squat
    120kg x 8 x 3

C) Bench
    80kg x 8, 7, 7

D) Bulgarian Split Squats
    30kg DBs x 2 x 8 e/s

E) Back Extension
    32.5kg x 3 x 10

Deadlifts were a bit meh. Once I stopped mind-fuc*ing myself they came up better.

Squats felt lovely and smooth. They should, tbf. But no sloppy reps from switching off.

Bench was fine. Happy enough with the volume.

Meh/10

Monday 15/5/2017

A) HB Squat
    135kg x 3 x 3

B) Bench
    97.5kg x 2 (@9.5)
    87.5kg x 3, 3, 5

C) Decline DB Bench
    37.5kgs x 6, 5

D) DB Chest-supported Row
    37.5kg x 5 x 8

Pretty happy with how the high bar has gone lately. I avoided pushing the weight myself for a long time because I was weak at it and if I didn't do it I wouldn't know I was weak at it.

I definitely think I could take down a single not far from 145, which would put it at 80-85% of low bar.

And so the bench...a double with my poverty PR. But it's my poverty PR and so the hunnit is preparing to fall at the comp. Think the 5 might be a rep max at 87.5kg as well. Or equal it anyway.

Edit: last proper heavy week before last comp, I was supposed to do working sets of 3x3 at 87.5 but last rep of 2nd set was tough so stopped at 2x3 so good progress on that tonight.

Happy to be pressing the 37.5s as well. Felt too heavy and reckoned it would feel too much from rep 1 but worked out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Well done on bench! Now get that 100kg monkey off your back and keep on going!

Pavel66 wrote: »
    Well done on bench! Now get that 100kg monkey off your back and keep on going!

I hope I never have a 100kg monkey on my back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I hope I never have a 100kg monkey on my back :pac:

That'd be a gorilla

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    That'd be a gorilla

Gorilla =/= monkey

Wednesday 17/5/2017

A) Squat
    172.5kg x 2 x F
    165kg x 2 (@9)
    150kg x 3 x 3

B) Deficit Deadlift
    187.5kg x 3 x 3

C) Hamstring Curl
    95kg x 5 x 8

D) Lat Pulldown
    122.5kg x 3 x 8

I should be more disappointed missing the 172.5kg squat. First one I just didn't keep back tight enough and got pushed forward. Second I just didn't get it. But I still think I will probably be making a heavier 3rd lift in comp after a rest. It just didn't feel like it was too heavy, as strange as that pribably sounds. Made my mind up about opener anyway after last warm up flew up.

Deficit deadlifts were ok. Two ugly reps cos didn't get lats tight enough but felt alright.

Saturday 20/5/2017

A) Deadlift
    207.5kg x 2 x 2

B) Squat
    160kg x 1
    125kg x 5 x 3

C) Bench
    95kg x 1
    87.5kg x 4, 3, 4

D) Bulgarian Split Squats
    30kg DBs x 2 x 6

Doubles moved better today than last week. Happy with those!

Was supposed to be just the triples at 125kg on squat but I just wanted to make sure I was confident in my opener being as comfortable as it should be. Happy enough with that.

Same with bench. I wanted to gauge if opener I had in my head was about right. Took a good long pause to be sure about it. Slipped a bit on 1st rep of 2nd set at 87.5...threw me a bit.

A week of shedding fatigue lies ahead. Happy with where everything is at. The hard work is done and looking forward to reaping the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Looking good!

Your man in the background is serious about those rows :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    Looking good!

Your man in the background is serious about those rows :D

Rows are serious.

• Advertisement

Monday 22/5/2017

A) Deadlift
    120kg x 3 x 2

B) Bench
    87.5kg x 1

C) Lat Pulldown
    LIGHT WEIGHT!!! x 2 x 8

D) Tricep Pressdown
    AIN'T NUTHIN BUT A PEANUT!!! x 2 x 8

Just to keep moving.

Wednesday 24/5/2017

A) Squat
    145kg x 1

B) Seated Row
    90kg x 2 x 8

C) Hamstring Curl
    65kg x 2 x 8

D) Face Pull
    2 x 8

Had to go to physio. Bit of pain running from forearm to tricep that didn't really affect my lifting but noticed it last week when racking the bar after squat. It's an elbow issue - forearm pain was referred. I've a feeling that widening my grip on squats might help but I'll address that after the meet.

Squat felt grand. Everything else felt mind-numbingly boring.

Reading back through my notes from the last 16 weeks to remind myself what the numbers tell me I'm capable of to reinforce that.

Just up to me to remember what to do on the day, ie not fúck it up.

Best of luck on Saturday!

and bring all the ibuprofen

Best of luck on Saturday!

Cheers dude. Just doing my umpteenth crossing off of the checklist to make sure everything is ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Y-fronts!

Y-fronts!

3 pairs.

We've all seen the yoochoobs where people poop their pants doing a heavy lift and since there are likely to be 3 heavy lifts...

So....the IPF Open. It was a bit of a sh*t-show from me.

Opened on 160kg for squat. Was grand. 167.5kg didn't happen. Just didn't get set up right. Missed it again on 3rd though at least it was a bit better. Couple of weeks ago I tripled it - was confident I'd be going 170+ for third. Not to be. Everything in training was moving that way so p*ssed off at how it went.

Bench: 95 opener was grand. Went for 100 for 2nd. Didn't get it back off the chest and never gave myself a chance. The 2nd go at 100 felt good from the start but just didn't get it back.

Confidence in a hole coming into the one lift that I've been least confident about.

Opener was 200 - graaand. 215 for the second. Smooth. On a better day, I'd have called 225...4 red plates would have looked nice but I thought I'd go for a small PR with the best chance of actually making it and going 3/3 on a lift. Wasn't beautiful but wasn't ugly and was better than the 2nd and 3rd lifts at the last comp.

Salvaged something from the day.

5/9 and it all just seemed to go arseways on the day. Why? No idea. Training was great and today should have been about just continuing the progression and putting 15-20kg on my squat and bench combined. But it wasn't there on the day.

Does that mean I made no progress? Not in the slightest. So I'll just take it easy this week and get back into training for a comp in November and make amends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sorry it didn't work out for you today but at least you know those lifts are in you and come november you'll be smashing those

Edit: what was your 3rd weight at deadlift?

Accept that some days you're the pigeon amd some days you're the statue.

Naturally, I'm a bit deflated but it's done now and no p*ssing and moaning will change how it went so it's just about focusing on taking it easy this week and then go about training hard again and trying to see what other pieces of the jigsaw I can improve.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Edit: what was your 3rd weight at deadlift?

222.5kg. A token 2.5kg PR

Well done warrior! Sometimes that happens to people who are brave enough to step on the platform at a given time on a given day in front of three judges. You didn't get to show what you were capable of today but I am pretty sure you learned a lot.

Congrats on the deadlift PR! Keep fighting the good fight brother...

Well done warrior! Sometimes that happens to people who are brave enough to step on the platform at a given time on a given day in front of three judges. You didn't get to show what you were capable of today but I am pretty sure you learned a lot.

Congrats on the deadlift PR! Keep fighting the good fight brother...

Haha, you give me too much credit but yeah it's not that the training was wasted. I'm a lot stronger than last comp. The next time I'll be stronger again and put up a total I'm happier with.

Didn't diminish wanting to go again anyway :)

Hope you put together some good numbers tomorrow, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Naturally, I'm a bit deflated but it's done now and no p*ssing and moaning will change how it went so it's just about focusing on taking it easy this week and then go about training hard again and trying to see what other pieces of the jigsaw I can improve.

Great to finally put a name to a face. We all have bad days bit yours still came out a PR so chin up! Cya at the next one chief

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Great to finally put a name to a face. We all have bad days bit yours still came out a PR so chin up! Cya at the next one chief

Appreciate that man. Good to meet you and see the progress you made since last time. Srs biz Ness.

Hoping I can put together a day like yours next time! Well, 9/9 and PRs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How long until you hit the platform again?

JJayoo wrote: »
    How long until you hit the platform again?

There are comps in September, October and November; I had been aiming at September or October but I think maybe giving myself ~20 weeks to build towards the next might be the best idea so think it'll be November.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done on the training cycle & Deadlift PR. It'll come together in comp on all lifts someday further down the road. Just keep going.

I'm planning November too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What weight class did you compete in?

Advertisement