Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Alf has just snatched the title of "Fitness Log Most Likely To Make Me Puke" right out of the hands of WHIPIT

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Saturday 24/6/2017

A) Squat
    107.5kg x 4 x 10

B) Bench
    75kg x 4 x 6

C) Close Grip Bench (@8)
    67.5kg x 4 x 10

D) Bent Over Row (@8)
    77.5kg x 4 x 8

E) C2
    500m row in 1.28.2

Squats fine again. Felt they moved cleanly and kept out anything sloppy.

Bench was grand. Happy enough with close grip benching today. Felt stronger than it has this last few weeks.

Knocked 2.1s off my 500m PR on C2. Delighted to get under 1.30 - it's been a target ever since I first had a go on the C2.

Monday 26/6/2017

A) Bench
    77.5kg x 3 x 4
    77.5kg x 9
    77.5kg x 2 x 4

B) Deadlift
    177.5kg x 5 x 4

C) Snatch Grip RDL
    112.5kgs x 4 x 8

D) Lat Pulldown
    112.5kg x 5 x 8

Had bench taken down wrong: was supposed to be 5x4, 1x4+ but I had 3x4, 1x4+. So finished last sets of 4 after the set of 9.

The less said about the deadlift the better. I need to spend time drilling it so I can get back the connection between what it feels like and what it looks like. A lot of work to be done.

Wednesday 28/6/2017

A) Squat
    126kg x 4 x 6
    126kg x 16

B) Bench
    72.5kg x 4 x 6

C)Floor Press (@8)
    67.5kg x 2 x 8
    70kg x 3 x 8

D) Block Pull
    160kg x 4 x 4

Squats felt great. Sank 'em.

Gave a good 2-count pause on bench. Solid.

In hindsight, I should have pulled the plug on the sets with 67.5kg sooner and kicked off at 70.

The 160 block pulls felt about where I was just about to start letting form slide so I stayed at that weight to drill form and try join what it looks like and what it feels like again. Started to get it a bit better. I'm ok with taking a step or two backward on the weight to try to improve on form. It's not perfect by any means but it felt a bit better. I know I can get back to where I was but I just need to be more diligent in drilling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Stop squat shaming me

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Stop squat shaming me

Knowing what I've done before means you have a minimum target...and you know it's not going to be cushy.

I count it by 6, 5, 4 and then 3+. Helps mentally.

Friday 30/6/2017

A) Squat
    110kg x 4 x 10

B) Bench
    75kg x 4 x 6

C) Close Grip Bench (@8)
    68.5kg x 3 x 10
    70kg x 10

D) Bent Over Row (@8)
    80kg x 4 x 8

Kept the belt off for squats. They felt lovely. Weight hasn't been too much these last few weeks but it feels and looks better than it has in a while.

Happy enough with how comfortable bench has been feeling - it's not heavy but I've had to widen my grip while the elbow issue heals up (almost there) and it hasn't felt as alien as I'd expected.

68.5kg was about right for sets of 8 @8 but moved up for last set to push it a bit more.

Monday 3/7/2017

A) Bench
    80kg x 5 x 4
    75kg x 3 x 3

B) Deadlift
    182.5kg x 5 x 4

C) RDL (@8)
    130kgs x 4 x 8

D) Lat Pulldown
    112.5kg x 5 x 10

Bench felt good. Even slower pauses...to be sure to be sure.

DLs felt and looked a bit better. Far from perfect but moving away from the abomination it had become. Out of nowhere, nearly got sick on 4th set. Wtf?

Had to think my way through RDLs and make sure to hinge the hips properly and not get sloppy. Hamstrings: ded.

Glad that was better. Last week, this session was so intensely frustrating. Was really p*ssed off with myself. Today wasn't perfect but it was a lot better and the weight felt lighter for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good job!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Good job!

After last week, I'll settle for 'better job'. I felt like I was starting out again and every movement was more conscious. Usually that's not helpful for me but it wasn't too bad today. Felt like I got closer to where it should be.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 5/7/2017

A) Squat
    132.5kg x 4 x 5
    127.5kg x 2 x 3

B) Bench
    75kg x 5 x 5

C)Floor Press (@8)
    75kg x 5 x 6

D) Block Pull
    180kg x 5 x 3

Squats moved nicely. I did enjoy seeing that it was going back over 130. I was looking forward to going into heavier range today. Enjoyed that. Tried out SBD knee sleeves for first time - definitely feel like they'll bring more to the party than the Rehbands.

Bench bored the life out of me. Just lengthened the pauses.

Thought 175 would be about right for block pulls but felt there was a bit more to give while keeping form reasonable so top sets were at 180kg.

5th set:

Good craic training.

Friday 7/7/2017

A) Squat
    115kg x 4 x 8

B) Bench
    76kg x 5 x 5

C) Close Grip Bench (@9)
    72.5kg x 5 x 8

D) Bent Over Row (@9)
    78.5kg x 4 x 10

Squat was ok. Felt a bit heavier the first couple of sets but felt smoother the last 2. Leaving off belt, sleeves on these lower weight squats for now.

5x5 is the most boring set/rep combo of all time.

Did an easy 1000m on C2 just to get a feel for the longer distance. 3.30.

Hashtag yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

B) Bench 76kg x 5 x 5

76??? Hit a wrong key there I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Blacktie. wrote: »

A Chinchilla lept onto the bar just as he unracked it.

#ChillaGainz

Blacktie. wrote: »

% said 76kg so I whipped out the fractionals.

Monday 10/7/2017

A) Bench
    82.5kg x 5 x 4
    77.5kg x 3 x 3

B) Deadlift
    190kg x 4 x 4

C) RDL (@8)
    142.5kgs x 4 x 6

D) Lat Pulldown
    117.5kg x 5 x 8

Bench felt pretty solid. Got through them pretty quickly.

First deadlift set just felt off. Uncomfortable or something. Certainly felt uncomfortable when the skin started lifting off my hands. Raw.

RDLs were fine. Straps so hands were graaand. Same with pulldowns.

Didn't realise how warm it was until I started to sweat like Josef Fritzl when the MTV Cribs crew arrived at his door.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I hope you don't end up like the lad's hands in the crossfit thread :eek:

bluewolf wrote: »
    I hope you don't end up like the lad's hands in the crossfit thread :eek:

They're not too bad...they feel more raw than look it. The calluses are bomb-proof at this stage so that stopped the skin coming off any further. Might use straps on block pulls tomorrow just to give them a bit of relief. It's a weird one...hasn't happened before

Didn't realise how warm it was until I started to sweat like Josef Fritzl when the MTV Cribs crew arrived at his door.

Ahahaha this is brilliant!

Wednesday 12/7/2017

A) Squat
    137.5kg x 4 x 4
    132.5kg x 2 x 3

B) Bench
    77.5kg x 5 x 4

C)Floor Press (@8)
    77.5kg x 5 x 6

D) Block Pull
    Ramped up to 190kg x 3

Squats felt nice and smooth as they should.

Bench was fine. Boring but fine. Same with floor press.

Bit loose on the second and third reps of the 190kg block pulls. I don't think I'm getting my hips down enough which doesn't help getting behind the bar. But they weren't bad.

An hour and ten for that wasn't bad.

• Advertisement

Friday 14/7/2017

A) Bench
    87.5kg x 4 x 3
    80kg x 3 x 3

B) Deadlift
    197.5kg x 4 x 3

C) RDL (@8)
    145kgs x 4 x 6

D) Lat Pulldown
    120kg x 5 x 8

Was meant to be doing this session on Monday but swapped with what was down to do today because will be away and not sure if I'll be able to train.

Bench was grand. Kept to a 1-1000-2-1000 count for pause. Left shoulder started to feel funky towards the last set. Out of nowhere.

Hands started to tear on 1st set of DLs so gave straps a go. More of a hindrance than a help so ditched them sharpish.

Everything else was fine. Usual AM trainig +10% weight tax...

Monday 17/7/2017

A) Squat
    120kg x 4 x 8

B) Bench
    80kg x 4 x 4

C) Close Grip Bench
    72.5kg x 5 x 8

D) Bent Over Row (@9)
    80kg x 4 x 10

Trained in The Warehouse in Galway. Distinct lack of bars with centre knurling today. Was also like a sauna.

Squats weren't heavy enough for the lack of centre knurling to matter much, thankfully, but moved a touch once or twice. Still, moved well enough, despite less than ideal prep for the session.

Bench was fine. No residual gamminess from Friday's benching.

Wednesday 19/7/2017

A) Squat
    142.5kg x 4 x 3
    137.5kg x 2 x 3

B) Bench
    80kg x 5 x 3

C)Floor Press
    80/82.5/85/87.5/90kg x 4

D) Block Pull
    Ramped up to 200kg x 2

Need to brace better for squats. Just concentrate on not letting shoulders rise when inhaling.

Had thought 82.5 would be right for 5 sets of 4 on floor press but was fine so went up. And again. So changed plan a touch cos of how it went.

Went to a reasonably comfortable double with 200 off the blocks. Happy enough.

Plan for the comp is to use it as a springboard for November comp. Conservative openers and use third and only go for PR on last. Ideally, PRs with a bit more in the tank.

Friday 21/7/2017

A) Squat
    125kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    80kg x 3 x 3

C) Close Grip Bench
    80kg x 5 x 5

D) Bent Over Row (@9)
    82.5kg x 4 x 8

Drop in volume today and nothing too heavy. Good timing cos I felt like sh*t all day yesterday and then squat warm ups felt gammy and heavy at the start.

Felt less weak as the session wore on.

CGBP felt really solid. As did rows.

Monday 24/7/2017

A) Bench
    90kg x 3 x 2
    82.5kg x 3 x 2

B) Deadlift
    202.5kg x 3

C) RDL (@8)
    Ramped up in sets of 5 to
    160kgs x 5

D) Lat Pulldown
    130kg x 5 x 6

Spent yesterday boll*xed as though my head was in a vice grip and all my energy was being used to stop my head collapsing.

Bench was a piece of p*ss...flew up.

Deadlift....my deadlift has been f**king with my head for weeks. Was not confident going in for 202.5. But I talked myself around and it felt better than has done in ages. New 3RM....sounds better than it is but it's a decent marker considering how it felt before last comp. Next deadlift is at the comp.

Was a new 5RM on RDL but I'm just happy that I held form reasonably til the end. Was going on last a bit so didn't try to add more weight.  Doing them heavier but worse would serve zero purpose.

Lat pulldown was solid enough too. Less volume beforehand helped.

Probably a single around opener territory at bench and squat next week but that's it. There's a lot less fatigue accumulated this time but then it's only been 7 weeks. Feeling decent.

Wednesday 26/7/2017

A) Squat
    147.5kg x 4 x 2
    142.5kg x 2 x 3

B) Bench
    82.5kg x 5 x 2

C) Block Pull
    170kg x 3 x 5

Happy with squats. As comfortable as expected. Bench felt light. Block pulls were crisp.

Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand.

Friday 28/7/2017

A) Squat
    130kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench
    82.5kg x 3 x 3

C) Close Grip Bench
    85kg x 3 x 5

Feeling really good about my squat. Practiced facing away from wall...not a mirror in sight. I don't do that enough and it's better for me for feeling depth. Depth was goooood.

Bench felt flawless.

Was feeling a little niggle along by my collar bone (not quite across at my shoulder) on left side just after I'd rack bar when was on close grip so called it after 3 sets rather than so the full 5 and aggravate something.

Really happy with how everything felt and moved.

Monday 31/7/2017

A) Bench
    92.5kg x 3 x 2
    87.5kg x 2 x 3

B) Deadlift
    160kg x 2 x 5

C) RDL
    Ramped up in sets of 4
    170kgs x 4

First bench set was sloppy. Also, too many reps warming up.

Deadlift was fine. Must remember to push knees out hard.

New RDL PR. As I set up, I remembered it was doing heavy RDLs I f**ked up my back 2.5 years ago. Doing sets of 5 at 112.5...(granted, there were some other factors but still would have been a 5x5 PR if I'd finished)

Whenever I think back to when I never thought I could do what I can do now...it reminds me to keep doing it and keep thinking I can do it.

Squat and bench up to last warm up on Wednesday and it's go time.

Wednesday 2/8/2017

A) Squat
    137.5kg x 1

B) Bench 
    82.5kg x 1

Just worked up to last warm ups on squat and bench. Planned openers are 147.5 / 90 / 202.5. 

Was supposed to be 135 but brain fart. Thinking back, regardless of how the comps went, today was the first time I was properly focused on my last warm up session and made the weights look and feel like they should.

Did some curls after because curls.

• Advertisement

Just worked up to last warm ups on squat and bench. Planned openers are 147.5 / 90 / 202.5.

Ideas for thirds?

Advertisement