Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Ideas for thirds?

It's probably going to be conservative. It was always going to be a time to test to base the rest of the program off for November comp more than being a competition per se.

Thirds somewhere of the order of 167.5 / 100 / 225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,619 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

4 reds deadlift! Exciting.

Is it this weekend?

4 reds deadlift! Exciting.

Is it this weekend?

Yeah that's all I want to see, tbh.

Yeah on Saturday in ABS. I was just going to be testing this week at this stage of training for November originally anyway and then found out the comp coincided so said it's as good to test there.

Just if I was testing in training I'd be abe to have a 4th crack at a PR if I missed an attempt at something more ambitious hence being a bit more conservative here.

100kg bench ooooooo

bluewolf wrote: »
    100kg bench ooooooo

We'll see. It would be nice to have it in three digits and be less rubbish. By training, it should be there though I said that last time after doubling 97.5

• Advertisement

You can do it!!! 💪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What's this about 4 deadlifts???

Ah ye the 100 mark is a nice one alright. I swear half the battle there is mental!

What's this about 4 deadlifts???

Ah ye the 100 mark is a nice one alright. I swear half the battle there is mental!

A 4 red plate deadlift....225

They should use plastic collars anyway... :)

A 4 red plate deadlift....225

Ah I was thinking 4 attempts for some reason. Brain fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Best of luck on Saturday!

• Advertisement

The ABS Summer Open went down today. A touch disappointed because of how the deadlift went but that's me being a spa given that it ended with PRs on squat, bench and total.

Weighed in at 8.30 and started lifting at 11.15. Came in at 82.2. Knew I was comfortable so big ol' dinner last night, coffee and Ginger Nuts before I left. Happy days.

Squat
    The plan was to take the first two as warm ups and see about the last. 145 looked and felt like it should. I thought the 157.5kg slowed a bit but looking at the video it looked nice and relatively smooth. So called 167.5kg for third. Looked better than I thought.  7.5kg comp PR.

Bench
    Opened on 90kg. Think I've been rushing my bench...it was like when I heard 'Start' I thought "quick...go now!" and it was a bit sloppy. Went in my own time for the 95kg second and it was as perfect as I'll get. Called the 100kg and nailed it. There's more to be had there but a 2.5kg PR.

Deadlift
    Warm ups were fine. Opened on 202.5kg. Grand. Started to feel a bit of fatigue, which I never normally really notice. 215 for second. I don't even know what to say about it. Got so far out of shape it felt bizarre. Somehow the bar broke the floor but I probably should have dropped it and left something in the tank to do a 3rd attempt properly. But pure stubbornness took over and 5 minutes after it broke the floor I locked it out. It was shambolic but it was the total PR. Called 220 for last cos I knew I didn't have 225 but I didn't have enough for 220.

Really good event and the band was class. Saw the flash of fire from the fire eater from behind on my 1st deadlift. A second earlier and my fart PR during the pull might have made a huge fireball.

Vidjos to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Good job well done.

Today's PRs:

That looks awesome! Good job!! Yaaay

That looks awesome! Good job!! Yaaay

The live music was whopper

The whole setup was class. Sounds like you had a pretty good comp. I missed your last deadlift but the second one did look pretty ropey. Still that's gonna happen after 7 max efforts.

The whole setup was class. Sounds like you had a pretty good comp. I missed your last deadlift but the second one did look pretty ropey. Still that's gonna happen after 7 max efforts.

It looked better than it felt... Shouldn't have broken down like that at that weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,619 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm drunk down the country right now but annoyed I missed this. Looks like great craic. Squat and bench looked strong and looked like you left kilos on the platform.

Considering you were using this comp as a tester for things to come, I am excite.

Me too, definitely kgs left behind

Legit think that not rushing my bench at comp has been a game changer. Seems a bit mental but the difference between first bench and next two were like night and day.

The difference between the gym and a comp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well done on the comp! Nice Squat & Bench PR.

Legit think that not rushing my bench at comp has been a game changer. Seems a bit mental but the difference between first bench and next two were like night and day.

The difference between the gym and a comp.
    It's great when you find one tweak that makes a massive difference isn't it? I think catching my dodgy starting position is gonna help. Hopefully.
    Well done again alf 100kg bench pew pew

It's great when you find one tweak that makes a massive difference isn't it? I think catching my dodgy starting position is gonna help. Hopefully.
    Well done again alf 100kg bench pew pew

The 100 had stopped being a mental barrier in the build up to last comp. I'd comfortably doubled 97.5 so had just thought of it as my 2nd attempt. Looking back, they were just rushed the last time. It became so clear after 1st attempt yesterday...I just went as soon as Start was called and didn't get as tight as needed to be. Fixed it for 2nd attempt and as soon as I got the bar to my chest for the 100, everything was locked down so I knew it was going back up.

13 weeks til next comp then a bit longer to spend a bit if time building things again.

Monday 7/8/2017

A1) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

A2) Cuban Press
    5kgs x 4 x 8

B1) Leg Press
    200kg x 5 x 8

B2) NG Pull Ups
    5 x 10

C1) Shoulder Press
    60kg x 5 x 8

C2) Close Grip Row
    100kg x 5 x 10

D) C2
    8 rounds: 30s row / 30s rest (each row 150m+)

Not much weight, not much volume, no compounds...just moving. Mostly because I find it like mindfulness. Nearly fell asleep on the leg press.

Was surprised at how easy it felt to knock out 5 sets of 10 pull ups, albeit with neutral grip, because it's been ages since I did them and not sure it would have been that comfortable when I was doing them.

Wednesday 9/8/2017

A1) DB Flys
    12.5kgs x 4 x 12

A2) Reverse Flys
    6kgs x 4 x 15

B1) Hamstring Curls
    80kg x 5 x 15

B2) Ab Roll Outs
    5 x 12

C1) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x 12

C2) Slow-mo Back Extensions
    +15kg x 5 x 12

C3) Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 5 x 12

Same as last day: moved about...enjoyed it.

But after not having done ab rollouts in ages...There Will Be DOMS.

Ha. I was just thinking yesterday about my shiny new ab wheel sitting in the corner

Ha. I was just thinking yesterday about my shiny new ab wheel sitting in the corner

I'm going to have to be restrained in bed tomorrow night so I don't roll over in my sleep and wake myself up with DOMS pain

I ended up staying lying down on the bench between sets last time.
    Ahhh.
    Good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Just catching up now Alf - congrats on your comp results, nice going... like Nic Cage, I too am "excite"... keep 'er lit, lad!

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Just catching up now Alf - congrats on your comp results, nice going... like Nic Cage, I too am "excite"... keep 'er lit, lad!

Bit more time to work on some deficiencies now so we'll see what happens!

Advertisement