Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wednesday 15/9/2017

A) Squat
    122.5kg x 5 x 8
    122.5kg x 14 (or more...who knows?)

B) Bench
    70kg x 5 x 8

C) Double Pause Deads
    133.5kgs x 8 x 3

D) Overhead Press (@8)
    42.5kg x 5 x 10
    40kg x 2 x 10

Counted on and off on the AMRAP squat set because I was concentrating so hard on contracting my glutes much harder to get my hips under the bar faster. Def did 14 anyway and it felt much better. Credit: COH.

Slowed the eccentric on the bench just to get more bang for my buck on lower %.

Started the deads not pulling with enough intent because of stopping at the knee. Felt better once I started injecting a bit of violence into that pull.

The OHP itself was fine...taking a bit of getting used to after so long not doing them.

Did something funky to bicep on Monday doing front squats. Not debilitating but I can feel it. Some ibuprofen for a few days and then see if it needs a physio.

Friday 15/9/2017

A) Squat
    106kg x 5 x 12

B) Bench
    75kg x 6 x 6

C) Sumo Deadlift
    155kg x 5 x 5

D) Close Grip Floor Press
    70kg x 4 x 10

Was 'glad' I had lighter squat night to practice the slight but important technique change I got into on last 'heavy' squat set on Wednesday.

Change of tack for bench: more warm ups. Better warm ups. Not bar -> 60 -> top set like recently. Felt crisp at the top.

Just feel unsure about my set up with sumo, ie would a wider/narrower stance feel better etc. Just feeds into everything. Wasn't helped by a knee niggle that subconsciously kept trying extend my knees too quickly. Last set was probably most consistent. I just need to keep working on it.

Close Grip floor press felt crisp too.

Monday 18/9/2017

A) Bench
    78.5kg x 5 x 6
    78.5kg x 10

B) Conventional Deadlift
    166kg x 5 x 5

C) Front Squat
    76kgs x 4 x 10

D) Proppa Pull Ups
    +12.5kg x 3 x 7

Stomach was in rag order today but apart from that I felt ok. Bench felt really good so thought no more of it. Very solid in my set up and bar path. Possibly a rep PR.

Felt like 1st set of deadlifts wasn't great but it looked good. Slowed my set down...patience 'til I was good to go, then WOOF! 4th set I started to feel light-headed. Ugh.

Good rest ahead of front squats and they felt better this week. Kept elbows higher and, well, just got back into the groove of it. It had felt kinda rough last week so didn't push weight too much this week but they felt like more like an @8.

Ran out of time for 5x6 on pull ups so just did 3 quick sets with 7.

Cold sweats at the end. Hyper AIDS or some such.

Wednesday 20/9/2017

A) Squat
    127.5kg x 6 x 6
    127.5kg x 15

B) Bench
    72.5kg x 5 x 6

C) Double Pause Deads
    137.5kgs x 8 x 3

D) Overhead Press (@8)
    42.5kg x 5 x 10

Happy enough with squats for the most part. Not sure if rep PR but probably a volume PR at 127.5kg. At times I was contracting glutes so hard I was locking my knees as well and was breaking at the knees too much later. It looked that way anyway but felt fine. It would at that weight though, I guess.

Bench was punchy.

Double-pause DLs were good. Better than last week. Not complacent, focused on setup. They're lighter on paper than the double pause makes them feel and the pausing makes you work harder at keeping the bar very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Crazy high reps. I dunno how you do it tbh. I was getting dizzy this morning at rep 11 @105 and that's with way less reps beforehand than you too.

Are you knackered at the last rep?
    Why do you only go with high reps on squats?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Crazy high reps. I dunno how you do it tbh. I was getting dizzy this morning at rep 11 @105 and that's with way less reps beforehand than you too.

Are you knackered at the last rep?
    Why do you only go with high reps on squats?

I had 5x6 and 6+ at 78% on bench last Monday so reps not far off what I did today at 76% on squat. I'm stronger at squatting hence more reps on AMRAP than bench. Don't need to destroy myself so no point in doing very high volume on deadlift.

But if I'm not doing more volume at these weights than I did before, then I'm not going to get stronger at those weights than I was before.

The reps will taper off now as weight goes up in the next 5 weeks.

After the next comp, I'll probably spend longer at the higher rep training because I'll be aiming for a longer block of training before my next comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I had 5x6 and 6+ at 78% on bench last Monday so reps not far off what I did today at 76% on squat. I'm stronger at squatting hence more reps on AMRAP than bench. Don't need to destroy myself so no point in doing very high volume on deadlift.

Where are you getting these mad percentages? Everything I've seen has always been in 2.5% intervals...

Ah I done a bit of volume on Deadlifts for the first time last night. Nothing major. 75% for 5x3. Took it easy as the back injury isn't fully back to 100% yet. Went grand but I look very hungover this morning with a load of burst blood vessels around my eyes. Always happens. Thought it would take more than that though.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Where are you getting these mad percentages? Everything I've seen has always been in 2.5% intervals...

That's one for COH...

Friday 22/9/2017

A) Squat
    111kg x 5 x 10

B) Bench
    76kg x 6 x 6

C) Sumo Deadlift
    155kg x not tonight, Josephine

75kg x 4 x 8

Squat was good. Nice and crisp - shoulders and hips moving together.

Bench felt a little heavier than it did on Monday but otherwise the bar path was nice. Mmmm.

I felt a niggle on the inside of my right knee warming up on the sumo. Assumed it would ease off but started to feel worse. I've had niggles before and they were grand once I got into it but this just felt like I'd snap my **** up, my medial ligament in this case, if I kept on going.

Close Grip floor press was good. Noticed I was getting a really good contraction in me bewbs as well.

Will see how the knee is but there was no issue before, like when was squatting so not sure wtf.

Anyway, home for some bbq chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do you do the thing where you bend your knee a bit at the start to check it's going the same path direction as your toes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote:
    Do you do the thing where you bend your knee a bit at the start to check it's going the same path direction as your toes

Is this for sumos? Is this a thing I don't know about?

bluewolf wrote: »

I do. I checked that especially on warm ups.

It might not have been directly caused by it but thought it better to not go full re*ard.

Jaysus whatever you personally are doing is working :D
    I'm pretty sure hanley showed me that when he was teaching me sumo

I do. I checked that especially on warm ups.

It might not have been directly caused by it but thought it better to not go full re*ard.

Okay I'm all out of ideas so

bluewolf wrote: »
    Okay I'm all out of ideas so

Its quite likely it wasn't caused by the sumos per se. But just seemed to be exacerbated so didn't risk it.

Same principle as when you're squatting that the knee goes out over the foot, more or less in the same plane the foot is pointed.

I'm sure you knew that but bluewolf may not have expressed it like she wanted to. Bless :)

I can word good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How was the chicken?

How was the chicken?

Great...until the big yoke of blood appeared

Monday 25/9/2017

A) Bench
    81kg x 6 x 4
    81kg x 8

B) Conventional Deadlift
    170kg x 5 x 4

C) Front Squat
    82.5kgs x 4 x 8

D) Proppa Pull Ups
    +15kg x 5 x 5

Bench was fine. Wanted 1-2 reps more but I'll take 8.

Deadlift started to improve once I started recording them. 3rd set was pants (well, reps 3 and 4). Last 2 sets were less pants because I took more time to get my starting position better.

Front squat was solid enough. Kept upright and it did not make me feel like a giant pússy like it had the last 2 weeks. In the ball park of a what my best at that weight was before. Think I did something like 10,9,10,9 and today's sets were @8.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 20/9/2017

A) Bench
    75kg x 5 x 6

B) Squat
    135kg x 5 x 5
    135kg x 14

C) Overhead Press (@8)
    45kg x 5 x 8

D) Double Pause Deads
    142.5kgs x 7 x 3

Had to bench first. They were good. Then lots of waiting.

Squats were fine. Felt my right knee a bit on the warm ups so I was a bit tentative on the first rep of the first top set and that didn't help but it felt fine and so got back in the groove. Couple of times I didn't use hips like I should but sorted that out. Brought my grip in narrower than usual on 5th set to see if it felt tighter but it felt shíte-er. Target was 12+ on last set so happy with 14.

Started to warm up for close grip floor press...and then realised I had OHPs. Dime....bar?

Kept upper back much tighter on paused DLs. Worked on making sure I was getting hips back properly and hinge properly when returning bar to floor. Both worked a treat.

Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

B) Squat
    135kg x 14

Epxml_s-200x150.gif

Epxml_s-200x150.gif

:D

I knew what I had done before so I'd no choice but to get at least 12 done...

Saturday 30/9/2017

A) Squat
    116kg x 5 x 10

B) Bench
    80kg x 6 x 5

C) Deadlift
    157.5kg x 5 x 4

D) DB Close Grip Floor Press
    35kgs x 4 x 6

Really didn't have any interest in training today. Went on the basis that it's mindfulness. Warm ups on squats felt heavy. But then top sets felt like 69% and I was pretty f*cking zen by th 3rd set.

Bench felt a little heavier than normal but no dramas.

Went back to sumo and adjusted my stance so feet were only about 20 degrees off pointing ahead and they felt great. Moved nicely. Felt a twinge on first rep at top set and while it wasn't anything like last week, I said I wouldn't push it so they became conventional deadlifts.

No racks for floor press so used DBs. Took a bit of getting used to but I think 35s are a PR.

Not brilliant but it was done, which was more than I felt like doing.

Monday 2/10/2017

A) Bench
    85kg x 6 x 4
    85kg x 7

B) Conventional Deadlift
    176kg x 5 x 4

C) Front Squat
    83.5kgs x knee says 'No!'.

D) Proppa Pull Ups
    +17.5kg x 5 x 5

Bench felt more comfortable than the 80kg on Saturday. Most volume at 85kg on bench is 14 reps (4 doubles and 6 for the AMRAP) so safe to say today is a volume PR. Have done a set of 6 @8.5 but as a single top set so happy with 7.

DLs were better than last week. Slowed everything down a bit before the pull to make sure I ran through my cues. Def helped...except when I didn't channel violence into that pull.

Right knee has been at me a bit lately. Not where I felt it for sumos the other week but more behind kneecap. Was sore in warm ups and I decided after the last warm up at 80kg to call it and to call a physio tomorrow. Might be nothing much but I'd rather not make it worse. Didn't notice it on DL so was just when in a greater degree of flexion.

Not sure about sets of 5 with 20kg on pull ups but we'll see what's in store next week.

Happy with how the bench and deadlift went at the end of a long, long day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Right knee has been at me a bit lately. Not where I felt it for sumos the other week but more behind kneecap. Was sore in warm ups and I decided after the last warm up at 80kg to call it and to call a physio tomorrow. Might be nothing much but I'd rather not make it worse. Didn't notice it on DL so was just when in a greater degree of flexion.

If your knees is hurting then stop! Better to take a week or two off Squats/Sumos/Front Squats now and let it recover VS. mess yourself up and be out of training for a longer duration.

Perhaps just hammer upperbody during the next week or two and forget about Squats...

Thinking back I think one of the reasons I changed from heels to flats on Squats was because my knee was getting a bit sore too. Just a thought...

BossArky wrote: »
    If your knees is hurting then stop! Better to take a week or two off Squats/Sumos/Front Squats now and let it recover VS. mess yourself up and be out of training for a longer duration.

Perhaps just hammer upperbody during the next week or two and forget about Squats...

Thinking back I think one of the reasons I changed from heels to flats on Squats was because my knee was getting a bit sore too. Just a thought...

It feels like it did when everything was a bit too tight around the knee and loosening it solved it. But I won't be risking it.

Wednesday 4/10/2017

A) Squat
    140kg x 5 x 4
    140kg x 7 (ARRRRGGGHHH)

B) Bench
    76kg x 5 x 5

C) Double Pause Deads
    147.5kgs x 6 x 3

D) Overhead Press (@8)
    47.5kg x 5 x 6

MOTHERF**KER! Looked at the safeties on the rack before I started squatting, noticed they were 1/2 notches higher than I'd normally have them but decides it wasn't a problem. It was a problem on the 8th rep when I hit them on the left and was thrown off. Pretty sure 10 was happening. Annoying because I wanted a big rep PR. Not to be but I can do that next week.

Bench was ok. Last couple reps on last set a bit slow. I'll put it down to stupid complacency but that's what costs the extra kg on the day.

Double Pause Deads felt solid.

OHP was more comfortable than I expected bit largely cos I don't think I've ever had it as part of my programme for too long - barbell OHP.

In short, annoyed about the squat snafu.

Friday 6/10/2017

A) Squat
    121kg x 5 x 8

B) Bench
    85kg x 6 x 4

C) Deadlift
    160kg x 5 x 4

Nope

Knee not feeling as iffy today. Will still go to physio in next few days - just to make sure it's ok for the run in to the comp - but at least it's feeling less sh*tty.

Squat form looked good. Nice straight up-an'-down bar path.

Bench was grand. Drama free. 85% feeling routine for reps.

Sumo felt pretty good. Feet not as turned out has made it feel so much more comfortable and a stronger position. Took me long enough to work out that little tweak that changed the game.

Right shoulder felt grindy on floor press warm ups so left it. Another to add to the physio checklist. Be grand but not risking anything a few weeks out.

Happy with what I'd done to then anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

... not risking anything a few weeks out.

What date is the comp? Have you an idea of openers and target 3rds?

Advertisement