Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BossArky wrote: »
    What date is the comp? Have you an idea of openers and target 3rds?

The 4th/5th of November.

Openers will be conservative enough. No point wasting energy so will conserve energy for thirds.

Will see how the next few weeks go and what i feel like but something like 175/102.5/220 would be a good day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The 4th/5th of November.

Openers will be conservative enough. No point wasting energy so will conserve energy for thirds.

Will see how the next few weeks go and what i feel like but something like 175/105/220 would be a good return

Are you going to pull sumo in comp?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are you going to pull sumo in comp?

Nope. Realistically I havent been doing it lodng enough and have only just found a stronger set up.

Monday 9/10/2017

A) Bench
    87.5kg x 5 x 4
    80kg x 4 x 5

B) Conventional Deadlift
    182.5kg x 5 x 3

C) Front Squat (@8)
    87.5kgs x 4 x 6

D) Proppa Pull Ups
    +20kg x 5 x 4

No one else benching this evening because I was doing all of it. 87.5% comfortable from first rep to last. Shoulder held up under all that volume so the funk in it on Friday was just a brief visitation - which I was a bit surprised about given it was manky when I woke up having been lying on that side.

Deadlifts...not quite sure what to say. On the plus side, they didn't feel heavy and moved nicely. On the down side, I just couldn't get into a consistent rhythm.

Front squats felt smooth. That was the best they have felt in the 5 weeks since they returned from their long sabbatical. Thought 85 would be about right but 1 rep in and I knew it was too light. Def no more than @8 and with my 5RM being 97.5, I think, those sets of 6 at a comfortable @8 are in that ball park. Oh yeah...and knee was graaaaand. Maybe I'm not broken.

Happy days (mostly).

Wednesday 11/10/2017

A) Squat
    147.5kg x 4 x 3
    135kg x 2 x 5

B) Bench
    78.5kg x 5 x 5

C) Double Pause Deads
    151kgs x 5 x 3

D) Overhead Press
    50kg x 5 x 6

Squat felt lovely. Would have loved an AMRAP set to put up a rep PR but got a couple of sets of 5 at 80% instead.

Bench was grand. Moved alright. Not as quickly as I'd like but not exactly slow.

Deadlift felt good and solid. Tight.

Happy enough with the OHP as well. It's not something I've been great at but I have never really had a consistent run at it. 1RM from about 2 years ago is 60kg.

Happy enough with all that

• Advertisement

Friday 13/10/2017

A) Squat
    126kg x 5 x 8

B) Bench
    88.5kg x 6 x 3

C) Deadlift
    165kg x 5 x 3

D) Close Grip Floor Press
    85kg x 4 x 4

Squats were solid. Drama-free...like 75% squats should be. Well, thought my stance had been a bit wide the first 2 sets so brought it in a fraction and was a lot more compact.

Lost bar path on 2nd rep of 2nd set but recovered it easily enough and that was about the sum total of excitement from the benching. Made pauses longer and longer as sets went on.

Twinge in my knee on sumo - nothing worrying but just decided to switch back to conventional and not risk it. Conv pulls were nice and crisp.

Tuesday 17/10/2017

A) Proppa Pull Ups
    +22.5kg x 5 x 3

B) Bench
    90kg x 4 x 3
    83.5kg x 3 x 4

C) Conventional Deadlift
    190kg x 4 x 3

D) Front Squat (@8)
    92.5kgs x 2 x 5

So the forecast weather carnage yesterday cost me my training - gym closed at midday. Found out at 11.30. Seems like everyone else on the planet was shaking off cabin fever as well...jammed. Lots of waiting about.

Gym was jammed so started with pull ups. And started with a set of 4 because brain fart. Was a way bigger chain than is normally on the belt so was probably 23.5kg or thereabouts. Would have gone with 25kg but took a bit off cos before benching.

Bench was cushy. No bother and none expected. And no wrist wraps. A set of 4 @9 is my PR at 90kg and those triples were more comfortable than @8.

Deadlifts felt better than they have for ages. For the most part. Went full retard for second set - no idea why my brain melted there.

Front squats were solid. Was supposed to be 4 sets of 5 but heavy squats tomorrow so left it at  2 comfortable sets.

Wednesday 18/10/2017

A) Squat
    152.5kg x 4 x 3
    142.5kg x 2 x 5

B) Bench
    80kg x 4 x 5

C) Double Pause Deads
    157.5kgs x 4 x 3

D) Overhead Press
    52.5kg x 4 x 5

Squats felt lovely. 1st set felt like no more than @7. Got a bit loose on 3rd set but was much better on last. Pretty happy with them though.

Bench was grand. Snappy enough for the most part.

Knee felt sore driving off the floor on 1st set of double-pause deads. Put it to the back of my mind and got on with it. 2nd, 3rd and 4th sets were as they should be. Not sure if that cos it wasn't at me or I was focusing on what I should be...

OHP was fine but my triceps felt it a bit after benching the last 2 days.

Friday 20/10/2017

A) Squat
    132.5kg x 3 x 8

B) Bench
    90kg x 5 x 3

C) Deadlift
    180kg x 3
    190kg x 3
    180kg x 2 x 3

D) Close Grip Floor Press
    87.5kg x 3 x 3

Good, confidence-building squats.

Bench was solid. Again, no wrist wraps and no problems.

Didn't bother seeing how sumo would feel today - ironed out some technique stuff with conventional instead. Felt too tired on the set of DLs at 190kg so dropped back. I think there's supposed to be a correlation between how fúcked your hands are and fatigue. Starting to believe it. Hands just burning on pulls lately without any real damage.

Anyhoo, happy enough ce soir.

Monday 23/10/2017

A) Bench
    93.5kg x 3 x 2
    85kg x 2 x 4

B) Conventional Deadlift
    196kg x 3 x 2

C) Front Squat (@9)
    102.5kg x 3

D) Proppa Pull Ups (@9)
    +27.5kg x 3 x 3

Bench was laughably comfortable. Didn't even bother with wrist wraps.

Kinda surprised me how comfortable deadlift felt. It should be at 91-92% but the confidence has eroded a bit when it comes to DL. Need to just get back to approaching the bar like I'm going to fúck it right up...in a controlled manner...

Front squat was feeling good. Single at 95kg felt comfortable so 102.5kg went on. And that's a new rep PR at 102.5kg. I've done it for 3 singles but never a set of 3. Felt like I got right back in the groove these past 2 weeks to the point where I had to remind myself not to go for a PR. But it came today anyway.

Did not feel like training today. Long day spent in Cahrk and was tired. But the volume at this stage is low and it was the perfect session for today. And the weight felt comfortable.

Profit.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 25/10/2017

A) Squat
    150kg x 2
    155kg x 2
    160kg x 2
    145kg x 5

B) Bench
    90kg x 4 x 2

C) Floor Press
    85kg x 2
    90kg x 2
    95kg x 2

Squats felt good. The double at 160 felt like an @7/7.5. A lot more comfortable than the 2nd at 157.5 at last comp.

Bench moved well. Comfortable.

Def had a double at 100+ in the floor press but next session is the heavy bench so kept it sensible.

Friday 27/10/2017

A) Bench
    90kg x 2
    92.5kg x 2
    95kg x 2

B) Deadlift
    187.5kg x 1
    197.5kg x 1
    207.5kg x 1

C) Lat Pulldown
    135kg x 4 x 5

And that's a wrap on the heavy work.

Was at physio yesterday and no problem. Bit of bone tenderness below knee because looks like I may have had a touch of Osgood Schlatters back in the day, which explains the one spot that always took the brunt of deadlifts. Clean bill of health though.

Bench felt comfortable. Didn't bother with wrist wraps. Double at 95kg moved well. Got the bar back a bit too quick off the chest on 2nd rep but locked it out smoothly enough. 97.5kg is second attempt at the comp and will decide what the last is...102.5 or 105 based off that.

Deadlift warm ups felt heavy to start and the 187.5kg was slow. But I hadn't been aggressive and was less confident than I should be. So the second I was pîssed off about that and it came up much better. Got myself properly fired up for 207.5kg and it wasn't much harder than the 197.5kg. Getting myself fired up I forgot to record it to see how it looked but it felt alright. 207.5kg is likely to be the 2nd attempt.

Felt like ages since I did lat pulldowns and had no idea how heavy I went before but was surprised I was at 135kg!

Anyhoo, happy enough with that. Couple of light sessions on Monday and Wednesday but the recovery is real from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Bit of bone tenderness below knee because looks like I may have had a touch of Osgood Schlatters back in the day, which explains the one spot that always took the brunt of deadlifts. Clean bill of health though.

I had a bit of that back in the day. Had a massive growth spurt between 10-12 which made my knees achey during any kind of running around. Playground football was a walking affair for me.

Do you remember having any?

I had a bit of that back in the day. Had a massive growth spurt between 10-12 which made my knees achey during any kind of running around. Playground football was a walking affair for me.

Do you remember having any?

None at all. Probably didn't affect me really - I didn't really have my growth spurt til I was 16 or so and I don't remember having any issues. It's not even really been an issue but just mentioned it. There was a cut on it from deadlifts, which makes sense...

Main thing that affects it lately is running.

Just to make the lights, obviously...not cardio.

Monday 30/10/2017

A) Bench
    75kg x 3 x 1

B) Deadlift
    150kg x 2 x 2

Not a whole lot to say. It was light, it was easy and the reps were snappy. Just keeping the engine turning over a little.

It feels strange just doing so little and going but I can feel the fatigue draining away which hopefully bodes well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Best of luck at the weekend dude!

Pavel66 wrote: »
    Best of luck at the weekend dude!

Thanks man. Hoping for the training to bear the fruit on the day and for the confidence to hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Thanks man. Hoping for the training to bear the fruit on the day and for the confidence to hold up.

Any ideas on 3rd attempts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Any ideas on 3rd attempts?

Yes - white lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

COH wrote: »
    Yes - white lights

:D thought that'd be the case alright.

I'll have to see how the back treats me on the day myself so all depends on how it progresses. Getting close now.

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    Yes - white lights

I was going to answer but I'm going to leave it with that :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good luck for the comp!

BossArky wrote: »
    Good luck for the comp!

Thanks man.

Wednesday 1/11/2017

A) Squat
    112.5kg x 3 x 1

B) Bench
    60kg x 3 x 2

And that's a wrap!

Prep slightly different insofar as last heavy squat will have been 10 days ahead of comp and last heavy deads and bench 8 days ahead of game day.

Confident enough in PRs on squat and bench. I'm going to say that here and now despite the comprehensive humbling I got at the comp in May where I thought I'd blow my numbers out of the water.

But I need to own where I am and make sure I get the numbers the training earned and that I know I'm capable of. And i need to put some belief into it. And whether or not anyone reads this, this log is me so I'm putting it all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You can do it alf we believe in you!!

IPF Open at RevFit

After a scary moment when the scale flickered onto 83.2kg, it dropped back to 82.4. Sound.

Some no-shows so had to merge 2 flights into one and had to get warming up sooner than expected.

Squat

Opened at 150. Was comfortable. Went to 162.5kg for second. Didn't feel as smooth as it should and decided to go for 170 instead of the 172.5, which I had planned. Probably the right choice. A PR but it's not the number I wanted so that's tempered it a bit.

Bench
    Opened with 90. As easy as it should be. 97.5 for second and it was a bit sloppy, which was the problem rather than the weight so called 102.5. I didn't keep as tight on the last and while it wasn't pretty, again if I had got it right I think I have 105 in me.

Deadlift

Started by matching out onto the platform without realising I was wearing my long sleeve t-shirt. Hurriedly ran off, whipped it off and pulled 195. The distraction threw me so it didn't feel as smooth as it should have so dropped second to 205. Didn't keep lats tight and let bar drift so while it was smooth, it's not something you need when it gets heavy. I called 212.5 just to get the PR total. And I made the third lift.

But it was awful. It was ****é. Part of me thinks it's me trying to get s fired up that I don't concentrate on cues and get a shít sandwich of a deadlift as a result. I shouldn't have made 212.5 look that bad. I pulled 207.5 easily in training and did it for 3 doubles ahead of last comp.
    But I also think I need to work harder to put it right.

Anyway, 170/102.5/212.5 for a 485 total.

#mixed bag

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nice numbers dude. Still experience at the end of the day

Nice numbers dude. Still experience at the end of the day

Experience...it was like I was a rookie at times.

The wardrobe malfunction when i forgot i was wearing my top...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

One of the girls always forgot to pause after her squat on her first attempt every time I saw her at a comp for ages
    She's one of the top in the class too

Congrats on the PRs even if they're not what you wanted. that's so awesome
    it'll be 500 soon. 500!!! You're already lifting a total of > 1000 lbs :D

• Advertisement

The highlights, such as they were

Advertisement