Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Your last 2 entries won’t open for me for some reason

Edit. They’re up now

Been having similar problems on the Touch site, particularly with bluewolf's log. Can see in full site mode.

You didn't miss much anyway :)

Wednesday 22/11/2017

A) Beltless Squat (120s rest)
    110kg x 15, 11, 9, 8, 8

B) GHR (90s rest)
    4 x 15

C) Incline DB Press (60s rest)
    20kg x 20, 9, 8

D) Face Pulls (60s rest)
    5 x 15
    2 dropsets

E) Barbell Shrugs
    100kg x 4 x AMRAP

FML...hadn't read the small print and seen the short rests prescribed.

So squats up to a heavy top set of 15 at something not too far removed from 15RM. Then 4 more sets at that weight with 2 min rests. Most of that 2 mins seemed to disappear into some space-time continuum. FU*K YOU, PHYSICS! The shortish rests made it gruelling.

GHRs were marginally less horrible  but at least (a) my hamstrings finished attached to all the right places and (b) I finished the reps.

Triceps spontaneously combusted in a hurry on second top set. Felt light but triceps had burned out like magnesium.

The short rests are killer. Make the workout quicker too, which is great because it means you get to lie down and not move for a long time sooner.

EDIT: the top squat sets were preceded by sets of 15 with 60, 80 and 100 so I was basically made to use up a lot of reps...

Friday 24/11/2017

A) Block Pulls (120s rest)
    147.5kg x 10, 9, 8, 7, 6

B) SSB Squat (90s rest)
    80kgs x 4 x 12

C) Bench Press (60s rest)
    60kg x 15, 13, 8

D) Barbell Row (60s rest)
    60kg x 5 x 15

E) Ab Rollouts (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

Same drill as with squats t'other night - warm up in sets of 10 (60,120,135) to a heavy 10, then strict 2 min rests between sets. The first 10 should be heavy enough that 10s in subsequent sets are going to be unlikely, especially by set 3. Hamstrings and glutes got burned in a big way. Glutes were the limiting factor at the end of the last 2 sets.

Went for 80 on SSB. Was going to top at 77.5 cos felt I might not get the full 12 on maybe last set or 2 on account of the short rests....but started and after 5 reps I knew I could get 4x12 with 80. But it was not easy. The sounds coming out of me were like the sound of wild boar rutting away in the woods on last few reps..

Second set it bench brought an insane burn to triceps and chest. Last set just felt heavy quickly. Triceps were cooked.

Rows = lats burning out.

There's a theme running through here....and lots of me will be sore tomorrow.

Hamstrings RIP.

S.O.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hamstrings RIP.

S.O.S.

What killed them?

• Advertisement

What killed them?

Deadlifts heaped on top of GHR DOMs from Wednesday

Tuesday 28/11/2017

A) High Bar Squat
    105kg x 12, 12, 12, 11, 9

B) Snatch Grip RDL
    115kgs x 10, 9, 8, 7

C) DB Floor Press
    25kg x 15
    27.5kgs x 15, 6, 5

D) Seated Rows
    Ramping up (5 sets) x 12
    Dropsets x 2

E) Banded Ab Pulldowns
    4 x AMRAP

Felt like shíte all day Sunday and spent 7 hours in transit and not recovered so decided to push back training a day. I can't train tomorrow so have to train Thursday anyway.

Felt good enough on high bar. The short rests though. Killer.

Went up to a heavy 10 at 115 on RDL. Wasn't sure I'd get it before i did that first top sets. More conscious of pushing hips back and not just rounding down so as to make hips work it hard.

Was skeptical about a top set of 15 with 27.5kgs on floor press after set with 25s. Got to 11...then 3 and 1. Second set saw triceps burn out quick. Last set was 5. Holy shít that sucked. 60s is stupidly short.

Thought I'd see my dinner again on rows.

Ded.

Thursday 30/11/2017

120kg x 12, 12, 10, 9, 9

B) GHR (90s rest)
    +5kg x 4 x 12

27.5kg x 12, 7, 6

D) Face Pulls (60s rest)
    5 x 12 (ramping up weight)
    2 dropsets

E) Barbell Shrugs
    110kg x 4 x AMRAP

Short rests are killer.

Squats felt stronger though. Mentally, aiming for 12 is a lot more manageable. Possibly a volume PR with 120. Certainly a beltless volume PR.

Was a bit wary of GHRs...right hamstring was pretty stiff and difficult to loosen out all week. But it stayed attached.

12 with the 27.5s felt close enough to max effort so the 60s recovery meant death by tricep burnout

The short rests really push you on work capacity. It's all good because I know it's needed but it's tough going at times.

Saturday 2/12/2017

157.5kg x 8, 8, 7, 7, 6

B) SSB Squat (90s rest)
    87.5kgs x 4 x 10

70kg x 12, 8, 6

70kg x 5 x 12

4 x AMRAP

Had a wedding yesterday so trained today. Right hamstring is taking a lot of time to loosen it out - still feels tight. I possibly strained it a little hence the slow recovery.

Really happy with the block pulls and that I kept bar closer and made the lockout easier than last week. Recovered quicker as well and was a little surprised that the drop off from top set wasn't as big as I expected. Didn't get sloppy when fatigue kicked in either.

Took off belt after 2nd set of SSB squats cos I remembered how much my abs felt it last time I did a top set beltless. Really bracing hard and keeping upper back tight so as to not let it push me over.

I was fully sure that I'd be doing a roll of shame on either/both of 2nd and 3rd sets of bench but fortunately was just about able to finish them. It's a funny one - it doesn't feel heavy but the triceps just have nothing left to give with only a short rest.

Last 2 sets of rows weren't done in one go. Lats on fire.

Happy enough with that. Especially how much tighter I felt on block pulls.

Out of curiosity, do you barbell rows with your chest parallel to the floor or at 45 degrees?

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, do you barbell rows with your chest parallel to the floor or at 45 degrees?

Probably not quite parallel not 45 degrees. If I'm doing Pendlay rows, I'd be parallel to floor.

Probably not quite parallel not 45 degrees. If I'm doing Pendlay rows, I'd be parallel to floor.

Just had a google on pendlay rows. That’s pretty much what i do except I don’t let the bar touch the floor. Gets a nice stretch in the hamstrings too which helps cause it’s usually done the day after RDL’s

Monday 4/12/2017

A) High Bar Squat (120s rest)
    115kg x 10, 10, 9, 9, 8

B) (Beltless) Snatch Grip RDL (90s rest)
    125kgs x 8, 8, 7, 6

C) DB Floor Press (60s rest)
    32.5kgs x 12, 9, 5

D) Seated Rows (60s rest)
    Ramping up (5 sets) x 10
    Dropsets x 2

E) Banded Ab Pulldowns (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

Busy racks so started with floor press. Pretty happy with first 2 sets. Think I've only done sets of 8 with 32.5s before.

I started what I thought would be my top set at 112.5 on squats but I felt I had more in me so upped to 115. Happy enough with that cos I think the heaviest I've done is 5x5 with 125 or 4x4 with 130 and they're well within range now, I'd say.

Snatch Grip RDLs are never easy. Lats felt it, hammies felt it.

Could feel the after effect of ab rollouts on Saturday when I started the (modified) Ab Pulldowns. Ugh. There will be DOMS.

Pretty happy with today's training!

Wednesday 6/12/2017

125kg x 10, 9, 8, 6, 7

B) Nordic Curls (90s rest)
    4 x 8

30kg x 7, 6, 3

D) Face Pulls (60s rest)
    5 x 10 (ramping up weight)
    2 dropsets

E) Barbell Shrugs
    120kg x 4 x AMRAP

After 5hrs sleep, high volume beltless squats were well down my list of things I wanted to be doing at 10am.

Warm up set of 10 with 100 felt heavy...so much so it was suggested that 115 might be top set. But that felt the same so on to 125. 4th set was a bit scruffy and it cost me a rep or so copped on for last set.

Was GHRs next but they're more like Nordic Curls using one of the machines to anchor feet in under.

Felt like 30s for set of 10 on incline db press was doable after starting with set of 12 with 27.5kgs last week. El oh el. Some days, gravity will just chew you up and spit you out.

COH changed the angle of the face pull movement so instead of it being at eye level, it was up top so I was pulling back and down. Game changer! Felt it hit me right in the sweet spot.

Training done at 11.10 so a whole day of eating and Netflix ahead. Might even be a PR on either/both of those.

Thursday 7/12/2017

A) Pull Ups
    5 x 10

B) Calf Raises
    100 reps (25, 22, 20, 20, 17)

C) Tricep Pressdown
    5 x 10

D) Reverse Flys
    7kg x 5 x 10

E) Hamstring Curl
    80kg x 5 x 10

So on days I have time to get some extra volume, I get to do the above. In and out sharpish, which I'd perfect since I'll be looking to fit that in during a lunchbreak. 26/27 minutes.

Expecting calf DOMS from the first bunch of calf raises in a long long time.

Friday 8/12/2017

167.5kg x 6, 6, 5, 5, 4

B) SSB Squat (90s rest)
    95kgs x 4 x 8

77.5kg x 10, 5, 5

75kg x 5 x 10

4 x AMRAP

Work capacity improved noticeably for block pulls, the reduced reps notwithstanding.

SSB squat warm ups felt heavy buy then 92.5 was feeling comfortable so went up to 95. Pretty happy to get 4x8. Assumed the reps would drop! Really have to brace hard on or to not get bullied over.

Left hip cramped hard on rep 4 of 2nd set of bench so had to take too long of a rest at the top and only just locked out 5th rep.

Last 2 sets of rows were 7+3. Lats fried.

Ab rollouts with a 20kg bar are unpleasant but I forgot my own wheel

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Was browing various online SSB this afternoon. Thinking of getting one.

BossArky wrote: »
    Was browing various online SSB this afternoon. Thinking of getting one.

I do quite like the SSB. Really makes you brace hard to not get pushed over. It's also great for giving the elbows a break while getting squat volume on board.

Saturday 9/12/2017

A) Lat Pulldown
    110kg x 5 x 10

B) Leg Extension
     5 x 10

C) Hammer Curl
    5 x 10

D) Lateral Raise
    5 x 10

E) Overhead Tricep Extension
    100 reps

The other 'lunchtime workout'.

The calf DOMS came to pass and they are real.

Took 26/27 minutes again today. Was quiet so was able to do the first 2 as a superset and last 3 exercises as a triset.

Might only get to do one optional workout next week - depends on work stuff but the fact it only takes half an hour makes them easier to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's too cold to work out
    i'm still defrosting for later

good job!

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    it's too cold to work out
    i'm still defrosting for later

good job!

There's no resting time really so it's not long before you're feeling pretty warm.

Monday 11/12/2017

A) High Bar Squat (180s rest)
    120kg x 9, 9, 8, 8

B) (Beltless) Snatch Grip RDL (120s rest)
    130kgs x 8, 9, 8

C) Barbell Floor Press (60s rest)
    65kgs x 15, 8

D) Seated Rows (60s rest)
    Ramping up (4 sets) x 15
    Dropsets x 2

E) Banded Ab Pulldowns (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

Christmas arrived early: an extra 60s rest on squats. Turns out this block will have a touch more rest and a set less. Less overall volume. But still a decent bit of volume at heavier weights and a touch more rest as appropriate.

Felt pretty solid. Kept back tight for the most part and no grindy, good morningy reps. Happy enough that I knew I worked harder to keep it solid.

RDLs were actually a little better than I originally gave them credit for. Having to be conscious of hinging my hips back and just not dropping down.

The calf DOMS are only starting to subside now. Mutherachrist!

That depends on many factors really...

That depends on many factors really...

Haha. Sorry for that was having trouble again opening the page. Usually when something new (.) is typed then the page opens

Wednesday 13/12/2017

A) Beltless Squat (180s rest)
    127.5kg x 12, 10, 9, 9

B) Nordic Curls/GHRs (120s rest)
    3 x AMRAP

C) Incline Press (90s rest)
    60kg x 13, 10

D) Face Pulls (60s rest)
    4 x 15 (ramping up weight)
    2 dropsets

E) Barbell Shrugs
    130kg x 3 x AMRAP (16, 15, 12)

To get this done, I had to go at lunch and get squats done then finished off quickly after work.

Possibly a beltless rep PR on 1st set. It felt a solid set. 2nd probably felt the heaviest.

Was a rep PR on incline bench but then I have usually only done an AMRAP as the last set, e.g. sets of 8 with 50/52.5/55/57.5 with 60x8 at the end. Still, happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Wednesday 13/12/2017

A) Beltless Squat (180s rest)
    127.5kg x 12, 10, 9, 9

B) Nordic Curls/GHRs (120s rest)
    3 x AMRAP

C) Incline DB Press (90s rest)
    60kg x 13, 10

D) Face Pulls (60s rest)
    4 x 15 (ramping up weight)
    2 dropsets

E) Barbell Shrugs
    130kg x 3 x AMRAP (16, 15, 12)

To get this done, I had to go at lunch and get squats done then finished off quickly after work.

Possibly a beltless rep PR on 1st set. It felt a solid set. 2nd probably felt the heaviest.

Was a rep PR on incline bench but then I have usually only done an AMRAP as the last set, e.g. sets of 8 with 50/52.5/55/57.5 with 60x8 at the end. Still, happy enough.

Is C a typo?

Is C a typo?

Nope. You mean just 2 sets or...?

Nope. You mean just 2 sets or...?

I think he meant 60kg dumbbells!

• Advertisement

I think he meant 60kg dumbbells!

Hahahaha...didn't spot that. Edited now. BB as opposed to DB.

Advertisement