Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,610 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thursday 14/12/2017

A) Pull Ups
    5 x 10

B) Calf Raises
    100 reps (26, 21, 19, 18, 16)

C) Tricep Pressdown
    5 x 10

D) Reverse Flys
    7.5kg x 5 x 10

E) Hamstring Curl
    82.5kg x 5 x 10

First time fitting this in at lunch and it worked a treat. 23 mins workout, shower and back at work within 50 mins.

Upped the weight slightly on calf raises (97.5 Giga DOMS) hoping that I won't be visited by the Ghost of Calf DOMS Past in the coming days to the same extent as last week. Not confident of that right now, it must be said.

Last set of pull ups was the full 10 instead of 8+2 as it was last week. Nudged up the weights a touch this week on everything.

No real rest cos I supersetted A and B as well as C and D. Worked up a nice sweat with a side of pump.

Boiler banjaxed so not hot water for shower. They say cold showers are invigorating.

They can go f**k themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oh man I'd go on strike if it was a cold shower. In this weather!

That's super handy for lunchtime.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh man I'd go on strike if it was a cold shower. In this weather!

That's super handy for lunchtime.

Yeah, to be fair, COH gave the options such that they would fit into the lunch break when I was able to get to them. Supersetting helps as well.

Cold showers are better in theory than practice. It's not just cold water...was ice cold the last 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah, to be fair, COH gave the options such that they would fit into the lunch break when I was able to get to them. Supersetting helps as well.

Cold showers are better in theory than practice. It's not just cold water...was ice cold the last 2 days.

But the Wim Hofman method!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    But the Wim Hofman method!

The Wif Hof method can suck my frozen balls.

• Advertisement

Friday 15/12/2017

A1) Lat Pulldown
    112.4kg x 5 x 10

A2) Leg Extension
    5 x 10

B1) Hammer Curl
    12.5kgs x 5 x 10

B2) Lateral Raises
    10kgs x 5 x 10

B3) Overhead Tricep Extension
    100 reps (24, 23, 19, 18, 16)

Made sure to so that to blow off the post-Christmas Party lethargy. Made a world of difference to my day! And, as it happens, the cold shower probably helped.

Knee wasn't hugely happy with first 3 sets of leg extensions but felt ok after that.

Serious arm pump after the curls and tricep extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Could you explain the numbers after B3 Alf?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Could you explain the numbers after B3 Alf?

I just have to 100 reps so I figure out what weight that's going to be challenging at and the numbers in brackets are what I did in each set.

Basically just max out the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I just have to 100 reps so I figure out what weight that's going to be challenging at and the numbers in brackets are what I did in each set.

Basically just max out the volume.

Ah ok got you, fair play being able to work out a weight that will split across 5 sets and still challenges you.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Ah ok got you, fair play being able to work out a weight that will split across 5 sets and still challenges you.

It's just about the volume so if I overcook it I can either keep going with as sets as it takes to see out the 100 reps. Or can drop the weight. But I'm going to failure on each one which is the important part rather than the weight.

It's a high volume training block at the start of a training cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

F*cking hell, Alfonso... first time checking our your Log (she said) in a while... serious work being done, lad!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    F*cking hell, Alfonso... first time checking our your Log (she said) in a while... serious work being done, lad!

After having short run-ins to the last two comps, I wanted to give myself a longer training cycle to build a bigger foundation. So I have been given all of the volume! That said, it's a bit less in this three-week block than the last.

Saturday 16/12/2017

A) Block Pulls (180s rest)
    150kg x 12, 11, 10, 10

B) SSB Squat (120s rest)
    97.5kgs x 9, 6, 6

C) Bench Press (90s rest)
    72.5kg x 12, 8

D) Barbell Row (60s rest)
    67.5kg x 4 x 15

E) Ab Rollouts (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

Sets on DL were to AMRAP-1 / @9. Glutes were the limiter towards the end of block pulls but they felt solid enough, form-wise, throughout. 7 reps into last set, I thought my 8th would be the last but I pulled it smoothly. Happy with those.

SSB was to AMRAP-1 / @9 at 97.5kg. 5RM on SSB was 100kg so today was going to be a decent marker. First set may have been 9. Second set the pad in the bar came loose and moved the bar a bit on descent and cost me a rep or two. Not as smooth as last week but the moving neck pad threw me. Possibly more than I should have let it.

Monday 18/12/2017

A) High Bar Squat (180s rest)
    122.5kg x 10, 10, 9, 9

B) (Beltless) Snatch Grip RDL (120s rest)
    132.5kgs x 9, 9, 8

C) DB Floor Press (60s rest)
    30kgs x 17, 9

D) Seated Rows (60s rest)
    Ramping up (4 sets) x 12
    Dropsets x 2

E) Banded Ab Pulldowns (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

1 or 2 slightly loose ones on 2nd high bar set but nothing that took too much out of me. 3rd was solid. Last 3 reps of last set were tough! Beetroot face. The rests didn't feel as luxuriously long as they did last week!

Knew as soon as I racked after  1st RDL set I had another in the tank. Happy with the hip hinging!

Floor press was supposed to be with 62.5kg on bar but no free racks so went with 30kg DBs. Possibly harder than with 62.5 on bar cos working other stabilisers as well but it's not hugely relevant because its just about the volume really. Surprised with 17 reps though. Pleasantly.

Threw in some curls at the end because curls.

Threw in some curls at the end because curls.

i hope they were in the squat rack

i hope they were in the squat rack

Not this time.

Next time when I superset them with tricep kickbacks in the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »

Thanks! Yeah I was pretty happy with the RDLs.

Tuesday 19/12/2017

A1) Pull Ups
    11, 11, 10, 11, 10

A2) Calf Raises
    100 reps (27, 24, 22, 19, 17)

B1) Tricep Pressdown
    (Pin 9) 5 x 10

B2) Reverse Flys
    8kg x 5 x 10

C) Hamstring Curl
    85kg x 5 x 10

Upped weight on everything this week. Even on calf raises cos minimal DOMS after last week. Knew I wouldn't get 5x10 pull ups with added weight yet so just got a few additional reps.

Wednesday 20/12/2017

A) Beltless Squat (180s rest)
    130kg x 10, 8, 7, 7

B) GHRs (120s rest)
    3 x AMRAP (3 kg DBs each hand)

C) Incline DB Press (90s rest)
    62.5kg x 13, 7

D) Face Pulls (60s rest)
    4 x 12 (ramping up weight)
    2 dropsets

E) Barbell Shrugs
    135kg x 4 x AMRAP

Pretty happy with the first squat set. Knees came in too much on the later reps of next two and was better on last set. Have never squatted 130+ beltless so I'm happy enough with 10 reps @9.

Two 3kg DBs in hand for GHRs makes em feel a lot harder.

No messing around with rests. Done in 57 minutes.

• Advertisement

Thursday 21/12/2017

A1) Lat Pulldown
    115kg x 5 x 10

A2) Leg Extension
    5 x 10

B1) Hammer Curl
    12.5kgs x 5 x 11

B2) Lateral Raise
    10kg x 5 x 11

B3) Overhead Tricep Extension
    100 reps

Spent some time rolling along my right quad and getting in around my knee and leg extensions didn't hurt this week. Hadn't done any rolling in ages.

Just added a rep on curls and lateral raises cos I wasn't going to get the 5x10 at next weight up. Triceps got burned off me.

Spent some time doing banded hip abductions through the afternoon to combine two of my favourite things: lying down and watching Netflix.

Haha i was foam rolling like 3 times yesterday with kindle or Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

bluewolf wrote:
    Haha i was foam rolling like 3 times yesterday with kindle or Netflix

How do you see through the tears?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    How do you see through the tears?

If you swear lots, there are less tears.

Friday 22/12/2017

A) Block Pulls (180s rest)
    155kg x 11, 10, 8, 8

B) SSB Squat (120s rest)
    100kgs x 9, 8, 8

C) Bench Press (90s rest)
    75kg x 11, 7

D) Barbell Row (60s rest)
    72.5kg x 4 x 12

E) Ab Rollouts (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

Didn't feel brilliant - head cold won't f**k right off. That said, I wouldn't say it cost me any reps.

3rd set of block pulls was too inconsistent and tried to think about too much. Need to distil my cues. That felt a bit tough.

Saw myself in the mirror halfway through 2nd set of SSB...Jesus I was pale as f**k. Still though, got more reps across the 3 sets than I anticipated. Good thing about leaving it open is you can take advantage of when it goes well.

Hip crampage galore on bench.

Went to do rows and had lost my straps. Then found them by the lat pulldown where I'd been using them yesterday morning. Good day!

Sunday 24/12/2017

A) High Bar Squat (180s rest)
    125kg x 9, 9, 7, 7

B) (Beltless) Snatch Grip RDL (120s rest)
    135kgs x 8, 8, 7

C) DB Floor Press (90s rest)
    32.5kgs x 14, 7

D) Seated Rows (60s rest)
    Ramping up (4 sets) x 10
    Dropsets x 2

E) Banded Ab Pulldowns (60s rest)
    4 x AMRAP

Ugh. Wheezing like an asthmatic and coughing like a motherfu*ker. Did not really want to train. That said, I wanted to go and beat  the 5x5 high bar I did with 125kg back in May...so there was that.

First set was harder than I'd hoped for and felt a bit drained so had to have a word with myself to not be soft about it. 2nd set was solid. 3rd set was tough from rep 1.

SG RDLs just felt heavy but got through it.

No free racks to floor press in so DBs again. Wavered on left on 15th rep of 1st set and then had to steer it away from my face. Fun and games...

All of the rest now. Hopefully be gone up 2 weight classes by next time I train on Wednesday.

Xmas eve workout! Woo
    I was gonna go but had stuff to do this morning. Gona rest up and attack on Wednesday

Have a great Christmas and eat all the things

Xmas eve workout! Woo
    I was gonna go but had stuff to do this morning. Gona rest up and attack on Wednesday

Have a great Christmas and eat all the things

Think I underestimated how.much the cold had drained from me! Butcher it got done :)

Have a great Christmas!

Think I underestimated how.much the cold had drained from me! Butcher it got done :)

Have a great Christmas!

oh yeah - lemsip with whiskey is apparently the business for a cold. give it a go :D

• Advertisement

oh yeah - lemsip with whiskey is apparently the business for a cold. give it a go :D

Not if it was going to save my life would I drink whiskey.

Again...

Advertisement