Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Was 8, 8, 18 a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,609 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Was 8, 8, 18 a typo?

Nope. They were feeling really solid except for jelly hamstrings towards the end. And burning lats. But it's a relatively light weight, as will be the case for % based accessories at the start of a training cycle.

Friday 23/3/2018

A) Bench
    62.5kg x 8 x 5

B) 3" Board Press
    90kg x 5 (@7)
    95kg x 5 (@8)
    95kg x 5 (@9)
    77.5kg x 3 x 5

C) Pendlay Row
    60kg x 5 x 15

D) Single Arm Low Pulley Row
    4 x 15

E) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 20

Had to source a 3" 'board for the board press...but a plastic lunchbox had to do.

b5lcuv.jpg

Was a bit awkward. Moved on me on 4th rep of 5 @9 and bar slipped off it and that was that - getting 97.5kg wasn't going to happen again tonight. So did 95 again and tightened up band.

Forearms feeling it after pendlays. And lovely barbell holds on the menu for tomorrow...

Saturday 24/3/2018

A) Deficit Deadlift (~1.5")
    165kg x 5 (@6)
    170kg x 5 (@7)
    175kg x 5 (@8)
    140kg x 3 x 5

B) Beltless Squat
    117.5kg x 8 x 5

C) GHR
    4 x 12

D) Double Overhand Barbell Hold
    4 x 60s (w/ 70kg but 65kg last set)

D) Russian Twists
    10 rounds w/ 15kg: 30s on, 30s rest

Still had a dose of DOMS from Wednesday's pause squats and SG SLDLs.

Can be hard to judge a proper @6 but fairly confident I'd have had 4 more reps at 165 on first set of 5. 170 for 5 @7 was solid except for not staying tight on last rep. Same happened on 175x5 @8. Need to keep everything tight through to the end. As a starting point, I'm reasonably happy with those numbers.

Felt a bit tired on squats but that's mostly just a function of reacclimatising to higher volune this week. Got into a groove then from 4th set and was grand.

Barbell holds were less pleasant than expected. Those minutes lasted twice as long as the minutes doing weighted plank. Started with 100kg to see and 8 seconds in I realised 'nope'.

Was fairly ambitious/deluded with the Russian Twists at the start. Realised quickly that 40s on/20s rest wouldn't fly so switched to 30/30. Dropped back to 15kg plate. Was tough.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I know.

Hashtagdot

Monday 26/3/2018

A) Beltless High Bar Squat
    90kg x 6 x 5

B) Incline Bench
    67.5kg x 6 (@8)
    50kg x 8, 8, 8, 14

C) Decline DB Bench
    25kgs x 4 x 15

D) Lat Pulldown
    102.5kg x 5 x 15

D) Reverse DB Flys
    4kg x 5 x 20

Time was squeezed today so got incline bench and DB flys done at lunch (cos squat racks were busy) and rest after work.

Top set of incline bench felt stronger than expected. Think I topped out at 75x3 last time I did a block and after that I'd be confident of a triple w/ 80kg.

Squats moved sweetly. They should at 50% but it's been a couple of months since I've done high bar and the bar path was sweet. Maybe I was a bit more focused and less complacent than I used be with lighter weights. Project NoBadReps.

Wednesday 28/3/2018

A) Pause Squat
    147.5kg x 5 (@8)
    110kg x 8, 8, 13

B) Snatch-Grip SLDL
    115kg x 8, 8, 8

C) Hamstring Curl
    85kg x 5 x 12

D) Chest-Supported DB Row
    22.5kgs x 3 x 20

E) 3-Way Plank
    10 rounds: 45s on, 15s rest

Paused squat felt good this week. Pauses were actual pauses as well.

Had made a complete brain fart of SLDLs last week in that I wasn't doing them. Was doing RDLs  (well, RDLs with slightly stiffer legs...). Took a bit of getting the hang of hip position and how close to have bar to me. Was starting with bar too close meaning I either had to start with hips too low to keep flat back or not have a flat back to get down to the bar. Took a bit of getting used to and not getting reps right in last set cost me a few reps. But it's a learning curve and I felt it right in my hammies so it's not all bad.

The change from 40s on/20s rest to 45s on/15s rest felt so much harder. Feels harder on one side than the other so good to rotate side to side to front.

Thursday 29/3/2018

A) Bench
    65kg x 8 x 5

B) 3" Lunchbox Press
    92.5kg x 4 (@7)
    95kg x 4 (@8)
    97.5kg x 4 (@9)
    80kg x 3 x 5

C) Pendlay Row
    65kg x 5 x 12

4 x 12

E) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 15

Trained at 8am because have to train three days in a row this week so making sure I get it all done.

That said felt like I judged the RPE better this week hence not missing at 97.5. Lunchbox position was a bit better this week as well.

Pendlays felt better this week too...bar further out, flatter back. Taking what I learned from the SLDLs and putting it into practice.

Good session after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

B) 3" Lunchbox Press

Personally, I'm delighted that this is now a thing

• Advertisement

Personally, I'm delighted that this is now a thing

It's the only thing I had that I knew was 3" thick and could be fixed to my chest (fnarr).

It actually works really well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It's the only thing I had that I knew was 3" thick and could be fixed to my chest (fnarr).

It actually works really well

I'll to sticky to my fancy board thanks :D

Does it feel like there's much give or anything when there's close to 100kg on it (obviously not fully on it)? And would it move much between reps or is it fairly secure?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I'll to sticky to my fancy board thanks :D

Does it feel like there's much give or anything when there's close to 100kg on it (obviously not fully on it)? And would it move much between reps or is it fairly secure?

The weight is fully on it. I get my pause on. I have an ever-so-slightly smaller lunchbox inside it (lunchboxception) so structurally its solid. It's no worse than a piece of wood the same dimension.

Last week I hadn't it lined up properly so it was resting on the box too close to one end and it was messy. Today I had it lined up so the bar was resting right on the middle so was spot on. The red band is enough to just hold it in place at each end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

The weight is fully on it. I get my pause on. I have an ever-so-slightly smaller lunchbox inside it (lunchboxception) so structurally its solid. It's no worse than a piece of wood the same dimension.

Last week I hadn't it lined up properly so it was resting on the box too close to one end and it was messy. Today I had it lined up so the bar was resting right on the middle so was spot on. The red band is enough to just hold it in place at each end

Cool; just to clarify, by fully on it I meant your arms would be supporting some of the weight so it wouldn't be fully pressing down on it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Please, I hope you're flexing at the mirror between set with a lunchbox stuck to your chest

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Cool; just to clarify, by fully on it I meant your arms would be supporting some of the weight so it wouldn't be fully pressing down on it as such.

Well, yeah I haven't let go.

Yet :D

Please, I hope you're flexing at the mirror between set with a lunchbox stuck to your chest

Absolutely.

And pulling out handfuls of chicken and broccoli from the lunchboxes between sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Absolutely.

And pulling out handfuls of chicken and broccoli from the lunchboxes between sets.

Hows the bulk going? Not well if you're still on chicken and brocolli :eek:

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Hows the bulk going? Not well if you're still on chicken and brocolli :eek:

Whilst I dabble in the areas of chicken, and/or broccoli, I'm not on the fish and ricecakes. And not a bulk to any degree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Whilst I dabble in the areas of chicken, and/or broccoli, I'm not on the fish and ricecakes. And not a bulk to any degree

I'm a fan of the M&Ms and Ben & Jerrys diet personally.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the M&Ms and Ben & Jerrys diet personally.

As long as there are no brown M&Ms.

That said, I'm not a big eater of sweet stuff. Aside from ginger nut biscuits because they're like crack.

Friday 30/3/2018

A) Deficit Deadlift
    170kg x 4 (@6)
    175kg x 4 (@7)
    180kg x 4 (@8)
    145kg x 3 x 5

B) Beltless Squat
    122.5kg x 8 x 5

C) GHR
    4 x 10

D) Double Overhand Barbell Hold
    4 x 60s (w/ 75kg, dropped to 70 for last set)

D) Russian Twists
    10 rounds w/ 15kg: 35s on, 25s rest

Misread the back off sets on deadlift as -20% instead of -25% so was a bit heavier than should have been but at that weight it's not a big deal (this time) and 3 days of doing nothing ahead.

Think the heaviest I've gone with deficit is 185x3 and I remember it. Today felt much better. Few little tweaks neesed to make it much cleaner but felt daycent.

Forgot I was squatting today and had no shoes. Was grand. Felt a bit heavy at first after deadlifts but felt grand a few sets in.

Used GHR machine today (had been doing them more like Nordic Curls this last while) and could feel a really good contraction doing reps with a slow tempo.

The barbell holds are rough. Trying to open out the hands after

Monday 2/4/2018

97.5kg x 6 x 5

B) Incline Bench
    72.5kg x 5 (@8)
    55kg x 8, 8, 8, 17

C) Decline DB Bench
    27.5kgs x 4 x 12

D) Lat Pulldown
    5 x 12

E) Reverse DB Flys
    5kg x 5 x 15

High bar felt good. Nice and solid...trying to work harder on staying a touch more upright.

Incline bench felt more solid than I expected it to. Lying on my side all night, stuck on a train for a couple of hours earlier and just felt gammy in general. Happy with the 5 at 72.5 with 2 in the tank has me stronger at incline than my max of 75x3 @8. The bench I used today had a slightly lower incline...maybe 5-8 degrees lower, which probably partly explains higher reps on AMRAP set compared with last week.

Decline DB bench felt strong. Happy enough with it.

Had to use cable machine for pulldowns instead of the one I almost always use so felt quite different but still a good lat pump.

Wednesday 4/4/2018

A) Pause Squat
    155kg x 4 (@8)
    117.5kg x 8, 8, 15

B) Snatch-Grip SLDL
    122.5kg x 8, 8, 10

C) Hamstring Curl
    87.5kg x 5 x 10

25kgs x 3 x 20

E) 3-Way Plank
    10 rounds: 50s on, 15s rest

Paused squats felt really good today. Just one of those days it moved nicely. Happy out with that - definitely 2 more in the tank. They just moved well. Woof!

I always rack the top set feeling like the hard work is done but it's only starting. Back off sets for working how I keep tight in the hole and drive out of the hole. Moved sweetly tonight.

Did feel a bit of fatigue so I ended up throwing on the belt for SLDLs just to help brace a bit harder to keep a flat back. But my hams and glutes were destroyed so job done. Got a better hang of the movement today too.

Increased time spent in plank and kept rests to 15s. Have always had maybe 60s between plank sets so it's different with short rests so building up time under tension and keeping rests the same til I find the tipping point.

Friday 6/4/2018

A) Bench
    67.5kg x 8 x 5

B) 3" Lunchbox Press
    90kg x 3 (@6.5/7)
    100kg x 3 (@10)
    80kg x 3 x 5

C) Pendlay Row
    70kg x 5 x 10

4 x 10

E) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 12

The last couple of weeks I did the board press first or had done the bench 8x5 at lunch cos I was going to be short on time in the evening. So, went into board pressing a bit fatigued from the 8x5 - as I'm supposed to be - and it told. The 100x3 was @10. It was great that it didn't feel heavy in my hands at all though...for a weight that was out of reach for so long.

Saturday 7/4/2018

A) Deficit Deadlift
    175kg x 3 (@6)
    180kg x 3 (@7)
    187.5kg x 3 (@8)
    142.5kg x 3 x 5

B) Beltless Squat
    127.5kg x 8 x 5

C) GHR
    +10kg x 4 x 10

D) Russian Twists
    5 rounds w/ 15kg: 40s on, 25s rest
    5 rounds w/ 15kg: 35s on, 25s rest

That's the heaviest triple I've pulled at a deficit except last time it as a 3RM. Given that I didn't feel great training, that's up there with what I thought I would be doing.

Squats moved a bit slower than I'd like at the start but drama free. As you'd expect.

Was tight on time so dropped the barbell holds. Was dying halfway through the Russian twists.

Happy enough to get through that how I did.

Was up in the attic and found my old log books and had a flick through them. Came across this page in my first ever log book.

s0yidd.jpg

The 65.8kg circled was my weight that morning...

Over 40kg increase on your bench. Not bad goin

Monday 9/4/2018

102.5kg x 6 x 5

B) Incline Bench
    75kg x 4 (@8)
    57.5kg x 8, 8, 8, 16

C) Decline DB Bench
    30kgs x 4 x 10

D) Lat Pulldown
    115kg x 5 x 10

D) Reverse DB Flys
    7kg x 5 x 12

Squats moved well. They should do but good to drill the technique.

Incline bench was solid enough. Felt stronger than I expected to in the warm ups. Then the AMRAP set was a bit of a surprise - didn't think 16 would happen after 7/8 reps.

It's one of those sessions that you'll never feel like you 'smashed it' but everything moved well so I'll take that.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 11/4/2018

A) Pause Squat
    160kg x 3 (@8)
    120kg x 8, 8, 13

B) Snatch-Grip SLDL
    127.5kg x 8, 8, 9

C) Hamstring Curl
    95kg x 5 x 8

25kgs x 3 x 20

E) 3-Way Plank
    10 rounds: 55s on, 15s rest

Paused squats felt really solid. Happy with the top set of 160. Best paused triple was 162.5 @9 but today the form was better - quads a bit stronger and upper back kept tighter so hips weren't kicking out the back. Back off sets were good for working hard on positions out of the hole.

Snatch-grip SLDLs were unpleasant. RIP hamstrings.

Planks were tough. Feel it a bit more on my left side but a lot less so than a few weeks back.

Preworkout lasagne kept threatening to show itself again towards the end.

Advertisement