Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did you ever try new caffeine tablets? You were using ones from an old bag last time I think??

Yeah new ones from MyProtein.

Anyway, experiment over.

Monday 6/8/2018

A) Bench
    80kg x 8 x 5

B) Lunch Box Press
    85kg x 4  @7
    92.5kg x 4  @8
    97.5kg x 4  @9
    80kg x 8, 8, 10

C) Paused Barbell Row
    70kg x 5 x 10

D) Low Pulley Row w/ rope
    4 x 10

E) Skullcrushers 
    35kg x 3 x 12

Lunch box press was feeling good but arms ran out of gas towards the end. Got some good technical work done across all of the sets.

Everything else was pumptastic.

Came home to some homemade anabolic brownies. Huzzah.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Some impressive lifts man. Can I ask though, are you soley focused on strength gain? Or is a bit of muscle gain always an aim as well?

SSr0 wrote: »
    Some impressive lifts man. Can I ask though, are you soley focused on strength gain? Or is a bit of muscle gain always an aim as well?

Focussed on lifting weights on the platform. So strength, I guess. But a good training cycle will have a block of hypertrophy training at the start to build some muscle that you then train to make stronger as the training cycle goes on

Focussed on lifting weights on the platform. So strength, I guess. But a good training cycle will have a block of hypertrophy training at the start to build some muscle that you then train to make stronger as the training cycle goes on

So when are you going to start your block of hypertrophy training?

• Advertisement

So when are you going to start your block of hypertrophy training?

I have a chunk of it behind me but still getting in a decent chunk of volume after the heavy sets in training. As the training goes on, the volume will drop back and everything will be more specific to competition movements

I have a chunk of it behind me but still getting in a decent chunk of volume after the heavy sets in training. As the training goes on, the volume will drop back and everything will be more specific to competition movements

Class.

How strict are your rows? Pretty impressive lift
    for your body weight.

Class.

How strict are your rows? Pretty impressive lift
    for your body weight.

They're not impressive in the slightest, to be honest. Not when you see some properly strong people doing them:) I try to keep them strict as possible but without recording them, it's hard to know.

Wednesday 8/8/2018

A) Deficit Deadlift (~1.5")
    170kg x 3
    180kg x 3
    187.5kg x 3
    150kg x 8, 8, 10

B) SSB Squat
    125kg x 4 @8

C) Weighted Back Extension
    27.5kg x 4 x 8

D) DB Row
    42.5kg x 4 x 8 e/s

E) Ab Rollouts
    4 x 60s

Deadlifts were feeling great. Naturally, I rushed the last rep and made a hames of it, which annoyed me.

Happy enough with the SSB squats. Best before was 122.5 x 3 and 112.5 as last warm up felt so good, I went a bit higher for last set than I'd anticipated.

My abs will hurt after those roll outs. Wasn't so bad the last time out but Jesus I was feeling it after 2 sets.

Friday 10/8/2018

A) Beltless High Bar Squat
    122.5kg x 6 x 5

B) 45-deg Incline Bench
    75kg x 3 (@8)
    60kg x 3 x 8
    60kg x 11

C) Neutral-Grip DB Bench
    27.5kgs x 4 x 8

D) Lat Pulldowns
    127.5kg x 5 x 8

E) Reverse Flys
    10kgs x 5 x 10

Think I overestimated last week's efforts. Checked back last night and I've done beltless high bar with 122.5 and 60s rests for 8, 7, 6, 5, 4. 30 reps with 60s rests...so nothing to see here.

Happy with the 45-deg Incline benching...still higher than what I would have always inclined at and it was a solid top triple @8 and on a par with my heaviest triple at normal incline with longer pause. Cleaner. Technique gains.

NG DB pressing was very solid as well.

• Advertisement

Saturday 11/8/2018

A) Pause Squat (2 ct)
    162.5kg x 3 @8.5
    130kg x 8, 8, 10

B) Low-handle Deficit Trap Bar Deadlift
    132kg x 8, 8, 11

C) Hamstring Curl
    100kg x 3 x 8

D) Chest-Supported DB Row (inclined bench)
    37.5kgs x 3 x 8

E) Russian Twists 
    10 rounds 35s on, 30s rest  (~18 reps e/s per 35s)

Not ideal prep today with gallivanting around in a park and was a bit hurried getting going so warm up was a bit hurried. Felt fine but just let the last rep get away on me a bit. Bar path was messy.

Ended up doing the trap bar deficit deads, rows and ham curls as a tri-set because time hence only 3 sets of ham curls.

Not all that disappointed with today...bit tired coming in and the only things that went wrong that shouldn't have will be remedied next time.

Monday 13/8/2018

A) Bench
    82.5kg x 8 x 5

B) Lunch Box Press
    87.5kg x 3  @7
    97.5kg x 3  @8
    102.5kg x 3  @9
    82.5kg x 8, 8, 9

C) Paused Barbell Row
    72.5kg x 5 x 9

D) Low Pulley Row w/ rope
    4 x 8

E) Skullcrushers 
    40kg x 3 x 10

Making sure to keep my elbows kinda tucked on the eccentric is paying all kinds of technique dividends. Started working on it primarily on standing OHP but it's making bench more solid off the chest.

Had a run at 105 for top set on lunch box press. Kinda knew it would be @10 after first rep. Didn't get it back with enough force off the chest and lost it. Triple with 102.5 was @9 though.

Rows felt strong so got a good hold at the chest. Squee-az!!!

Heaviest I've ever done skullcrushers. But it's been a loooong time so you'd expect them to have improved. So threw in some slow eccentric curls at the end to properly swolify the arms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Ah here, 10 reps at 40kg for skullzs? They are practically my bench numbers! :o:D

Ah here, 10 reps at 40kg for skullzs? They are practically my bench numbers! :o:D

My bench is probably more tricep dominant so that would help.

Also, I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of ours. It's science.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Also, I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of ours. It's science.

I’m almost afraid to thank that. But I will. Funny. Can’t argue with science

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m almost afraid to thank that. But I will. Funny. Can’t argue with science

Or with Ron Burgundy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hey, I may have small triceps, but I'll have you know I got a brain PR last week! :D:D

Wednesday 15/8/2018

A) Deficit Deadlift (~1.5")
    170kg x 2  @6
    180kg x 2  @7
    190kg x 2  @8
    152.5kg x 8, 8, 9

B) SSB Squat
    132.5kg x 3 @9

C) Weighted Back Extension
    30kg x 4 x 6

D) DB Row
    45kg x 4 x 6 e/s

Deadlifts were much better this week. Ideally, I'd have had a couple more kilos on the bar for the top set but rather get it right than pull heavier closer to @10 for the sake of it. Back off sets felt really good. Technically better than usual.

SSB squats supposed to be a top triple @8. I always find myself pushing a bit higher than that on supplementary stuff on last week of a block. 132.5 was @9 and was better than I expected. And kind of a default PR.

Forgot my ab wheel and some goon had gone off with the gym one so no rollouts.

Saturday 18/8/2018

New block next week so just freestyled today...well, ended up doing S/B/D but it was good craic.

Pulled sumo for the craic. Never tried more than 150kg before but had a go at 180kg. Actually looked alright but you can't see my shoulders and I would have to work put how to physically get them back cos that would have been red-lighted. Maybe it's just a practice thing.

Some bench then. Hit a PR of 110kg. It doesn't count, as such. I'd never have been given the 'press' command when I pressed it. It was slow but I locked it out and, mentally, it's not a weight I haven't had in my hands and locked out.

Enjoyed just playing around a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

You were supposed to stretch out and wait for the next block of programming - not test.

FFS.

COH wrote: »
    You were supposed to stretch out and wait for the next block of programming - not test.

FFS.

It was just bench. I won't be destroyed for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

He must be punished..... join him to the human centipede.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

It was just bench. I won't be destroyed for days.

Just bench? You're a powerlifter mid-cycle training for a powerlifting comp... its a third of your chosen sport :confused:

What does being destroyed for days have to do with anything? You commit to building towards testing when it matters under a certain set of parameters > you build towards that point by creating a concurrent training process > that process builds technical ability, confidence and the physical attributes to complete the task.

A borderline touch and go grinder only serves to hinder the momentum you've built on the three fronts above.

You can prove me wrong by going 110+ on the bench in Oct I'll be fine with that btw.
    JJayoo wrote: »
    He must be punished..... join him to the human centipede.

Right in the middle. No easy rides at the front for the yolo testers.

COH wrote: »
    Just bench? You're a powerlifter mid-cycle training for a powerlifting comp... its a third of your chosen sport :confused:

What does being destroyed for days have to do with anything? You commit to building towards testing when it matters under a certain set of parameters > you build towards that point by creating a concurrent training process > that process builds technical ability, confidence and the physical attributes to complete the task.

A borderline touch and go grinder only serves to hinder the momentum you've built on the three fronts above.

You can prove me wrong by going 110+ on the bench in Oct I'll be fine with that btw.

I know and I get it. I know it wasn't the right thing to do....truth is I had a shíte week and ended up blowing off steam without taking the bigger picture into account.

It just means its my responsibility to bench 110+ in 9 weeks' time.

Monday 20/8/2018

A) High Bar Squat
    125kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench Press
    90kg x 6  @8
    77.5kg x 5, 5, 5, 10

C) Flat DB Bench
    25kg x 4 x 15

D) Seated Row
    5 x 10

E) Seated Facepull
    5 x 12

High bar felt really good. Fuelled by anger.

And lasagne.

Thought 87.5 would be at my limit on bench so was a touch surprised when it felt like it was @7 so on went 90. Happy with that.

Wednesday 22/8/2018

A) Pause Squat  (2-ct in the hole)
    150kg x 5 @8
    127.5kg x 5, 5, 10

B) Low-handle TBDL
    177kg x 5 @8

C) GHR
    5 sets @9 ; (17, 17, 16, 16, 15)

D) DB Single Arm Row
    32.5kgs x 3 x 15 e/s

D) Planks
    12 rounds: 40s on; 20s rest

Squats felt good. Solid. 4th rep on top set was a little loose and I didn't push back into it out if the hole. Had a mini rant at myself then got it right.

TBDLs felt solid. Nice and patient and kept lats locked in.

Read the GHR as going up to a set of 5 @9 until just before I did them...then realised it was 5 sets @9...

Friday 24/8/2018

A) Bench Press
    85kg x 8 x 5

B) Pin Press  (chest level)
    75kg x 6
    80kg x 6
    82.5kg x 6
    70kg x 5, 5, 7

C) Lat Pulldowns
    105kg x 5 x 15

D) Barbell Shrugs
    110kg x 4 x 15

E) Rolling DB Tricep Extension
    9kgs x 3 x 20

That's the most volume I've ever done with 85kg anyway. Most I'd  done before was 6x4 followed by a set of 7.

Triceps were minced when I got into pin press. Didn't realise until I got onto latter reps.

All of the other things.

The end.

Saturday 25/8/2018

A) 1" Block Pull
    165kg x 5 @6
    172.5kg x 5 @7
    180kg x 5 @8
    155kg x 5, 5, 10

B) SSB Good Morning
    95kg x 6 @8
    80kg x 5, 5, 11

C) High Box DB Step-Ups
    12.5kg DBs each hand x 4 x 12

D) Ab Rollout
    4 x 60s

Used mats from platform to make blocks. Probably more like 0.6-0.7" but enough to notice some  difference in the ROM.

Really felt the GMs. Not sure if felt them more today cos they were after DLs but they were a bit jelly after top set.

Etc.

• Advertisement

Monday 27/8/2018

A) High Bar Squat
    127.5kg x 5 x 5

B) Bench Press
    92.5kg x 5  @8
    78.5kg x 5, 5, 5, 10

C) Flat DB Bench
    25kg x 4 x 12

D) Seated Row
    5 x 8

E) Seated Facepull
    5 x 10

High bar tasted delicious. Every single one.

Misgrooved last rep a little on top bench set so felt like an @8.5.

DB bench was solid as fook.

Still plenty of trap and core DOMS from rollouts and shrugs over the weekend.

Advertisement