Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Monday 11/2/2019

And so began the daily diet of Limber 11.

I should have really taken it upon myself to do it since meeting with the surgeon but here we are anyway. It really showed how tight everything is in my left hip so I'll be continuing to do it daily from now on.

Some lightish bench singles also.

Thursday 14/2/2019

Nothing says 'I love you' to your hips like Limber 11. I did some other loaded stretches with an empty bar trying to sit deeper into squats every rep and then some hinging with conventional and then sumo deads.

In hindsight, loading up the squatting as much as I did last weekend wasn't wise. Not because it caused any problems but because it is more sensible to ease back into it - I'm not competing this year so marathon, not a sprint and all that.

Did some benching up to opener territory as well. Will test at the weekend. Competition bench felt a bit strange the last day but less so today. I'd been just doing tempo bench, bench with band/chains and wide-grip for the last couple of months so just getting back into proper leg drive as well.

Saturday 16/2/2019

Tested bench. Didn't know what to expect after not comp benching in a while. Other bench variations felt good enough but had no idea what carryover, if any, that would have.

Finished up at 107.5. Was much more of a battle than it should have been...not that I expected it to be easy, either.

Kinda annoyed with that.

Anyway.

Monday 18/2/2019

Physio earlier. Some tightness in lower back and hamstrings on left side (hamstrings felt brutalised during it). Adductor tight as well. Consistent with me minding the left side with the ongoing hip issue. Just the mobility I do wouldn't have got me as loose as I am now but I need to keep working hard to keep everything mobile.

Psoas was particularly uncomfortable during it but has made a world of difference to how it moves, even noticeable in how u lift my knee.

Limber 11 then in to do some light squats and just ease into the full ROM...and the pinching I had felt, even just doing BW squats at home, was hugely diminished.

Lots of pause squats with black mini-band around my knees up to 80kg. Paused cos I find myself sitting into it more and that's pretty much what I wanted to do.

Lots of sumo pulling as well to just work hips etc. Nothing heavy. Just lots of reps with 100kg.

Feels so much better even now.

Wednesday 20/2/2019

Paused High Bar Squats
    Lots of 'em but just up to 80kg again. Sets of 10 with 20/40/60/80/80/60/40/20. Pausing deep and just getting in volume that doesn't feel uncomfortable on my hip. Once I'm happy it doesn't feel pinchy in there when I'm squatting to depth I'll be happy to build back the weight.

Close-Grip Bench 
    Sets of 10 with 40/50/60/70/60/50/40.

Found that more enjoyable than it reads.

Bitta blood flow in quads and triceps.

• Advertisement

Saturday 23/2/2019

Trained in COH's gym. Good craic, as per.

Just high bar squats today. All of them. Sets of 10...maybe 5 sets on the way up to 80kg.

Probably 7/8 sets of 10 with 80kg with one set at 85kg in the middle.

Tried low bar in the middle of all that and it was too uncomfortable so only 1 rep.

So going to stick with high bar for the next while and try figure out what the story is with low bar.

Monday 24/2/2019

A) Elevated Rear Foot Split Squats
    25kg DBs x 3 x 8 e/s

B) Tempo High Bar Squat (40X0)
    102.5kg x 8 x 3

C) DB Row
    27.5kgs x 3 x 12

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 15

E) Weighted Side Bend
    3 x 20

Got through it all in one lunchtime, which is good to know. Bit of supersetting (A/C, D/E....like the tribute band) but will help get through the workload.

Took a bit to get onto the high bar groove at a heavier weight but was flying by the end of it.

Tuesday 26/2/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    75kg (@8) x 9, 8, 7, 7, 6

B) Incline DB Press
    25kg x 2 x 15

C) Barbell Row
    80kg x 3 x 12

D) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 15

E) Shrugs
    90kg x 3 x 20

F) Wrestling off a cotton t-shirt
    1 set to failure

Mid-grip bench was 5 sets up to RPE 8. Had grip midway between close grip and comp grip. Made sure I was only going to RPE 8 (3rd set was @9 though).

Probably hurried this too much - will make it the priority it needs to be next time and take an extra minute or so rest.

Incline was tough to get last couple of reps.

Got that done at lunch again. Getting an idea of how I need to plan now to get the work done without rushing higher priority exercises.

Thursday 28/2/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    60kg x 3 x 8

B) GHR
    +8kg x 5 x 10

C) Lat Pulldown
    107.5kg x 3 x 12

D) Leg Extension
    67.5kg x 3 x 15

E) Weighted Plank
    +20kg x 3 x 45s

Had some pretty bad DOMS courtesy of the side bends from the other day. Didn't expect that at all.

Felt the glutes get a working on RDLs. Stability less of an issue when I'm not doing full single leg RDLs with a bar than when I used back foot for some support.

Done in ~30 minutes which was perfect today cos had shortened lunch. Nothing was hurried, per se.

Friday 1/3/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    62.5kg x 5 x 5

B) Tempo Bench Press (4020)
    62.5kg x 5 x 5

C) Snatch-Grip Block Pull
    110kg x 8 x 3

D) Face Pulls
    2 x 15

E) Hammer Curls
    10kg x 2 x 15

Easing into front squat. Worked off a % based on a bit less than what my max is...no need to rush back up the weight.

Slowed eccentric on tempo bench to 5s+...was finding it relatively light at the % so that made it harder.

Good to get it done at lunch again so I can use a pick-up session at the the weekend to pick up accessory work I didn't get to during the week if prioritising main lifts/variations and allow more rest between sets as necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What is it exactly that aggravates the hip?

What is it exactly that aggravates the hip?

Sitting, sometimes.

It seems to be how narrow the hip angle gets. I was doing high bar with only 80kg last week and was fine...tried low bar and it felt like an uncomfortable pinching at the front of the top of the thigh. Slightly to the outside. Only felt it once I got past a certain point of depth (just above parallel).

No depth issues on high bar and no pinching because of being more upright so bigger hip angle.

Tl;dr when hip flexion goes beyond a certain point

Saturday 2/3/2019

27.5kg DBs x 3 x 8 e/s

107.5kg x 8 x 3

C) DB Row
    30kgs x 3 x 12

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 15

E) Weighted Side Bend
    3 x 20

Went in cos I had a window and my next couple of weeks might not facilitate training at lunch so got it done.

Found myself a bit tentative going into the hole on squats anticipating soreness and when I videoed second set, was only just at parallel. So had to put that out of my head and recalibrate what depth feels like and was grand from there on. Moved smoothly and better as I went on. Beltless, obviously.

All of the other things.

Monday 4/3/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    77.5kg (@8) x 9, 8, 7, 7, 6

B) Incline DB Press
    25kg x 2 x 15

C) Barbell Row
    82.5kg x 3 x 12

D) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 15

E) Shrugs
    95kg x 3 x 20

Threw on wrist wraps for first few sets but when I took them off, reps felt better. Not sure if because of that though. Still, same reps as last week but all sets stayed within the @8 this time.

Incline DB Bench felt stronger as well. Had to grind last couple of reps last week but will be having a crack at 27.5s next week.

Pretty happy with how that went. Good chest and tricep pump as well.

Tuesday 5/3/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    62.5kg x 3 x 8

B) GHR
    +9kg x 5 x 10

C) Lat Pulldown
    110kg x 3 x 12

D) Leg Extension
    70kg x 3 x 15

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 45s

Highly likelihood of not being able to train the next 2 days so got it done today. Not much of note. Single leg RDLs felt a bit more stable.

Thursday 7/3/2019

A) Paused Front Squat
    65kg x 5 x 5

B) Tempo Bench Press (4020)
    65kg x 5 x 5

C) Snatch-Grip Block Pull
    120kg x 8 x 3

D) Face Pulls
    2 x 15

E) Hammer Curls
    12.5kg x 2 x 15

Good chest pump off the tempo bench.

Spent a lot of last night working on mobility and testing how it felt. It had been my knees that felt a bit gammy on squats but felt good by the end and paused front squats flew today as a result. Of course they're light enough but they moved like I'd like them to.

Got into a good groove on snatch-grip deads and think I did an extra set or two.

Not the anticipated disruption to training this week which is just as well cos will be next week.

Edit: turns out it's only supposed to be 5 sets of snatch grip block pulls...Not sure how I got that so wrong. Still...be grand.

Had a really bad back spasm on Friday - round where I hurt it 4.5 years ago. To the point where I had to psyche myself up and brace like a max deadlift to get anywhere close to getting socks and shoes on.

Has subsided a good bit and ibuprofen helping so will give a day or two and see if physio might be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Had a really bad back spasm on Friday - round where I hurt it 4.5 years ago. To the point where I had to psyche myself up and brace like a max deadlift to get anywhere close to getting socks and shoes on.

Has subsided a good bit and ibuprofen helping so will give a day or two and see if physio might be needed.

Was it during a lift?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Was it during a lift?

Nope. At work

Tuesday 12/3/2019

Membership in Raw is up this week and it closes at the end of the month so I've had to join Flyefit.

Went in at lunch. What a clusterfúck. Looks like every day I'd international bench day. A rack being used for dumbbell rows. Benches used for curls. Twilight zone bullshít.

Anyway, tried to see how squatting would feel. Expected to just use the bar but eased up slowly in triples (at 40X0 tempo) to 90kg. While it was pain free, I didn't want to push my luck considering I thought I was properly fúcked on Friday. Did 4 triples at 90kg and pretty happy to be back under a bar.

Some DB benching then cos there was a bench free over with the racks. 30kg DBs for 4 sets of 8.

Pull Ups: 5 sets of 10

Not sure how this place will allow me to follow my program but going to have to find some way to make it work. Had written this week off anyway though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Tuesday 12/3/2019

Membership in Raw is up this week and it closes at the end of the month

Wha? First time hearing about this

Wha? First time hearing about this

Yeah. I had heard it was coming a while back - not officially because I can't see it flagged on their social media anyway. And then I heard when it was due to be closing but no official word...not even when I was emailed with a special offer for renewal. Just that I would also have access to the new gym in Donnybrook.

Which was a bit shítty.

Wednesday 13/3/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    80kg (@8) x 8, 7, 6, 5,

B) Incline DB Press
    25kg x 2 x 15

C) Machine Row
    110kg x 3 x 12

E) Shrugs
    100kg x 3 x 20

Went in just to get some way back on track but just didn't push it with my back so just switched to plate-loaded machine row to not put any pressure where i tweaked my back. Just a precaution really.

Expected the bench volume to be less than expected after the DB benching yesterday but I'm ok with that. Stuck at 25s on incline DB bench for same reason.

Thought membership in Raw was up tomorrow but I checked and it's up at the end of the month. Woohoo...2 less weeks in Flyefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There is going to be a new raw in Donnybrook? Whereabouts do you know, the new Donnybrook house building maybe? That looks incredibly fancy but I have heard it was built for a gym facility in the basement.

There is going to be a new raw in Donnybrook? Whereabouts do you know, the new Donnybrook house building maybe? That looks incredibly fancy but I have heard it was built for a gym facility in the basement.

It says a lot about the level of communication that I, as a member, hasn't a notion where the special renewal offer would have been for...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see on their instagram they say in a comment it will be more expensive as it will be a "premium" facility. So it could be donnybrook house then I guess.

I see on their instagram they say in a comment it will be more expensive as it will be a "premium" facility. So it could be donnybrook house then I guess.

Existing members could renew at current price but the next year would be full price.

Basically you get charged for a whole host of shíte you'll never use. When I renewed last year, I was told I was getting it for a steal because if I was new it would cost €500+ with the joining fee and something else that wasn't interested in. He seemed to think he was doing me a favour.

Wednesday 20/3/2019

30kg DBs x 3 x 8 e/s

112.5kg x 8 x 3

C) DB Row
    32.5kgs x 3 x 12

D) Hamstring Curl
    3 x 15

E) Weighted Side Bend
    37.5kg x 3 x 20

Two weeks later, back at it! Officially starting week 3 of this block. WOOOOOH!

Back was feeling fine after the spasm last Friday week and was supposed to be training on Saturday but came down with Ebola on Friday and haven't felt right until today. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise but was champing at the bit today.

Tempo squats moved nicely. Much better then the last day I did them on the programme, two weeks ago; they were miles in and moved smoothly. Also, my seconds are slow...looked at the videos and the eccentrics were 5s instead of 4s. I'll take that though.

Split squats were strong as well and no residual anything from the spasm.

Buzzin' to be back at it.

Thursday 21/3/2019

A) Mid-Grip Bench Press
    80kg (@8) x 8, 7, 7, 6, 6

B) Incline DB Press
    27.5kgs x 15
    25kgs x 15

C) Barbell Row
    80kg x 3 x 12

D) Tricep Pressdown
    3 x 15

E) Shrugs
    105kg x 3 x 20

Between the jigs and the reels, I walked more than 10km today so was glad there was nothing leg-related on the menu. Great day for it, though.

I had a bit more time so probably took a bit more rest between sets on bench. Elbow/forearm giving me a bit of gyp when I grip hard. Figured out where it is so just gonna work on it and give it some time.

Was more conscious of back angle on rows today so tried to get it feeling closer to parallel to floor than usual to work upper back more.

Felt good.

• Advertisement

Friday 22/3/2019

A) Single-Leg RDL
    65kg x 3 x 8

B) GHR
    +10kg x 5 x 10

C) Lat Pulldown
    112.5kg x 3 x 12

D) Leg Extension
    77.5kg x 3 x 15

E) Weighted Plank
    +25kg x 3 x 50s

In and out quickly enough. Did all of the things.

Advertisement