Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lockdown workout #11

Thursday 19/11/2020

A1) DB Floor Press (@9)
    30kgs x 15, 14, 13, 12, 12

A2) Single-Arm Row (@9)
    30kg x 20, 19, 18, 17, 16

A3) Banded Pressdown
    5 x Max

B1) Wide Push Ups 21s
    3 sets

B2) Banded Lateral Raises  
    3 x Max

B3) DB Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Hollow Hold
    5 x Max

Had a heavy head cold the last 2 days so skipped yesterday. Didn't feel great so was surprised to have stronger numbers than last week. 5 extra reps total on floor press.

Can still feel the effects of the ab wheel but at least no DOMS.

Did feel fairly drained after it cos of the dos but another workout chalked down.

Lockdown workout #12

Sunday 22/11/2020

A1) Toes Elevated Tempo DB RDLs (42X0)
    30kg x 5 x 8

A2) Split Squat 21s
    5 sets

A3) Push Up Hold (bottom ROM)
    5 sets (35-45s)

B1) Double DB Row
    30kgs x 5 x @9 (16-18 reps)

B2) (Purple) Banded Curls
    5 x Max

B3) Close-Grip Eccentric Push Ups
    4 x Max

C) Weighted Plank
    5 x Max

Time was going to be squeezed today so got through what I could, when I could, through the day...so wasn't in the order above. Ended with the split squats. Really didn't want to do it...was knackered. But made myself finish it out.

Have to just manage the ROM on the RDLs so I'm not getting pinching in my hip.

The eccentric push ups are arguably one of the hardest elements of that workout. They just last forever. Have the metronome on and trying to make it to a 10s eccentric and it gets burny quickly.

Lockdown workout #13

Tuesday 23/10/2020

A1) 1.5 Goblet Squat
    30kg x 5 x 9

A2) NG Tempo Push Up (3030)
    4 x 12
    1 x 14

A3) Russian Twists
    5 x Max

B1) Staggered Stance Good Morning
    30kg x 5 x 9 e/s

B2) Underhand-Grip Band Pull Aparts 
    Purple band:  5 x 14

B3) Ab Rollout
    5 x Max

C) Side Plank
    5 x Max e/s

Got about an hour of sleep last night and felt like garbage today. Recognised fairly quickly I was going to have to get some of the above done throughout the day in order to get it done so that's what I did. Left about a third of it to do for when I got to  start at ~8.45.

Box ticked.

Then got a cramp in abdominal muscle after which was new and, as expected, unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

How many reps are max for the ab wheel ?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How many reps are max for the ab wheel ?

Probably not a true max but the first week, the average was 12 and I had DOMS from hell. Edged up an extra rep a set the next week and then today again so was about 14 reps/set. Actually felt way stronger than expected...braced better for it I think

• Advertisement

Lockdown workout #14

Thursday 26/11/2020

A1) DB Floor Press (@9)
    30kgs x 15, 14, 14, 13, 12

A2) Single-Arm Row (@9)
    30kg (e/s) x 20, 20, 19, 19, 18

A3) Banded Pressdown
    6 x Max

B1) Wide Push Ups 21s
    5 sets

5 x Max

B3) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Hollow Hold
    5 x Max

Managed to do some of that throughout the day, which helped.

Floor press felt heavy from the start but managed to pump put the reps.

Banded shrugs have a hell of a burn.

Should have maybe 2 more home workouts before the gym reopens. Really only starting to look forward to it now it's that close.

Flare up in the hip again...felt a lot better today but said I'd just leave it til the gym tomorrow to get back at it.

Excira.

ETA: kinda disappointed with what I got done over lockdown. Granted, I had to take a step back with the hip at times and manage my way along but I'm just a bit disappointed in sessions. Felt like I got more done the last couple of weeks.

Interested to see how far back my squat has fallen and how deadlifting feels. I don't think there will be much drop off on bench. I would be surprised if I couldn't at least bench within 7.5kg of my max

Tuesday 1/12/2020

A) HB Squat
    142.5kg x 1

B) Bench
    102.5kg x 1

C) Deadlift
    192.5kg x 1

Just wanted to suss out where I was at after the break. Nothing entirely unsurprising. Movements felt a bit off from 6 weeks of not doing the movements.

Hip was ok. Niggled a bit coming out of the hole with 130kg but didn't notice on 142.5kg.

Bench was ok but wasn't getting the bar path right throughout. Improved but will get that back quickly.

Was cautious with deadlift cos I wanted to see how it felt at a higher weight but wanted to err on the side of caution because of the hip. Felt it in my hip going for 192.5 but moved a bit and seemed ok so said I'd have a pop. Got it...feels ok so far but I'll know tomorrow if that was a mistake.

Looking forward to a bit of volume to build the numbers back up again.

Thursday 3/12/2020

A) HB Squat
    115kg x 4 x 5

B) Bench
    82.5kg x 5 x 5

C) Deadlift
    155kg x 5

C) Close-Grip Bench
    92.5kg x 1
    100kg x 1
    65kg x 15, 13

Before I jump back into a training block, I just thought I'd do some moderate volume and intensity to just help build a bridge to where I will be so it won't be too much of a shock to the system. Everything was 80% of what I didn't other night.

Had intended a 5x5 on squat but didn't feel comfortable on my hip during warm ups. First set didn't feel great, second was better, third was somewhere in between so ended up stopping at 4 sets. It's always going to be a case of finding the minimum effective volume - the least amount I need to do to progress - to manage the volume. It will likely slow things down but better to go that route than end up causing regular delayed sessions cos of hip soreness.

Hip wasn't enjoying the deadlifts tonight so pulled the plug after 1 set. Bit disappointed...I wanted at least 3 sets.

Was going to go but bench was still there so just decided to do some more bench volume....because you can never have enough DOMS.

Hip is relatively unscathed today. Thanxbetajaysus.

Biggest issue is the fact that I didn't stop myself and suggest that maybe squatting and deadlifting together was a really, really stupid idea.

• Advertisement

Saturday 5/12/2020

A) Rack Pulls
    160kg x 4 x 5

B) Wide-Grip Bench
    75kg x 3 x 5

C) NG Pull Ups 
    4 x 9

D1) Chest-supported DB Rows
    4 x 12

D2) Lateral Raises
    4 x 10

No comp in sight so want to train the deadlift without aggravating the hip so volume means reduced ROM. No blocks to use so rack pulls it was.

Rack pull was about 2-3" below bottom of kneecap...maybe equivalent of 6-7" blocks. Was right for today...just clear of feeling that pinching sensation. 4th set I could feel something. Not soreness but not going chasing soreness so it was enough to be getting on with.

Wide-grip bench was fine. 3rd day benching in 5 but not a while lot of volume the first day. Re-racking is a delicate operation...trying not to catch my little finger in the hooks.

Some pumpage at the end.

Good idea of how things feel as regards the hip after the last few days.

Monday 7/12/2020

A1) Front Squat
    82.5kg x 5 x 5

A2) Pull Ups 
    5 x 9

B1) Face Pulls
    4 x 15

B2) Tricep Pressdown
    4 x 15

C) T-Bar Row
    4 x 12

Ticking along. Getting back into it. Gave my shoulders a break cos they felt a bit sore after last few sessions with a bit of volume.

Front squats got better...smoother as I went on. No issue in hip, presumably cos I was more upright.

Pwopah pull ups feeling a lot easier than expected. Should probably have pushed it more but it's not a race so I can add more next time. Moved so smoothly though. Noice.

Felt something in my upper back on 3rd set of front squats. Around rhomboids or that neck of the woods. Could feel it breathing. Carried on and was ok on last 2 sets but can still feel it when I'm breathing.

Friday 11/12/2020

A) HB Squat
    110kg x 6 (@6)
    115kg x 6  (@7)
    122.5kg x 6 (@8)
    115kg x 7, 6

B) Double Pause Bench
    80kg x 6  (@8.5/9)
    67.5kg x 9, 8

D) Lat Pulldown
    4 x 15-20

D) Weighted Ab Rollout
    4 x 15-20

Hip was a bit gammy on warm ups but fine as I worked up go top set. Was a but late to the gym and probably didn't spend enough time warming up. I should know better and should have spent longer warming up and forego whatever.

Reasonably happy with how squats moved and felt. Didn't push the back off sets. Want to ease into it.

Double pause bench had the pauses halfway down and on the chest. Took a bit of getting used to. It's a bit of a burner as well. Top set was supposed to be @8 but took too big a jump.

Saturday 12/12/2020

A) Close-Grip Bench
    70kg x 8  (@6)
    72.5kg x 8  (@7)
    77.5kg x 8  (@8)
    72.5kg x 10, 10 (@9)

B) Good Morning 
    80kg x 6  (@8)
    67.5kg x 12, 12

C) Face Pulls
    4 x 20

D) DB Hammer Curls
    4 x 20

Trained in COH's. I forgot how much I missed training craic. Was good for the soul.

Close-grip bench felt pretty good.  Got the RPE spot on. Form was dialled in.

Good Morning was hard to get back into. Did it to pins to control the ROM for le hip.

High rep curls...biceps are hyooooj now.

Good times.

Monday 14/12/2020

A) Front Squat
    80kg x 5  (@6)
    85kg x 5  (@7)
    92.5kg x 5  (@8)
    87.5kg x 3 x 5

B) Seated DB OHP
    25kgs x 6  (@8)
    22.5kgs x 13, 12

C) Seated Row
    4 x 20

D) Hanging Leg Raise 
    6 x 20

Happy enough with the front squats. Under an RPE 8 if anything, which is promising. Hasn't done front squats (apart from the 5x5 last week) since the June 2019. Best is 105x5x3. Feel like I would definitely have been able to triple 100 so happy enough with that as a starting point and the hip is a big fan as well.

Back offs at 87.5kg were comfortable so I know there is likely more room there on top set next week.

OHP a bit shy of where I'd like but so was technique which is probably why the weight was shy.

Superset the hanging leg raises with front squats because time.

Monday 7/12/2020

A) Rack Pull
    155kg x 5  (@6)
    162.5kg x 5  (@7)
    170kg x 5  (@8)
    162.5kg x 8, 7  (@9)

B) Pin Press  (mid level)
    82.5kg x 6  (@8)
    70kg x 12, 10

C) DB Row
    4 x 20

D) Tricep Pressdown
    4 x 20

Hip was ok on the rack pulls. Have to be conservative with ROM. Will take some time building up in weight and down to the floor.

'Mid-level' wasn't quite mid-level because of pins and 4" spacing between pin heights. Next one up would be too high. Was about 2" (no more than 3" anyway) off the chest.

Some pumpage to end.

Friday 19/12/2020

A) Close-Grip Bench
    72.5kg x 8  (@6.5)
    77.5kg x 8  (@7.5)
    82.5kg x 8  (@9.5)
    75kg x 10, 9

B) Good Morning 
    80kg x 6  (@8)
    67.5kg x 12, 12

B) T-Bar Rows  
    4 x 15-20

C) Face Pulls
    4 x 20

D) DB Hammer Curls
    4 x 15-20

Started warm ups for squats as I was supposed to. Second warm up set...something froze in my lower back. Weirdest sensation. So called it and moved onto the next day on the program.

Dunno if it was a function of just being bollócksed from work and being a bit run down but weight felt heavier than it should hence the ending up overshooting the top set of close-grip which was supposed to be @8.5. It's not that I should have known better from the previous set....that felt heavy and slow but was still @7.5.

Skipped good mornings for obvious reasons and just did some chest-supported T-Bar rows.

Back not sore...just a little stiff really.

Stiffness prevailed yesterday...could still left a hefty young fella but the stiffness kicked in the last small portion of straightening up, mostly if I had been sitting down. Not as bad today but then I have a thumb that seems to be infected and has swollen up like a balloon. Likely caused by a stray splinter the other day.

Wednesday 23/12/2020

A1) Leg Extension
    5 x 20 

A2) Reverse Flys 
    5 x 20

B1) Face Pulls
    5 x 15

B2) Lateral Raises 
    5 x 15

C1) Close-Grip Bench  (@9)
    60kg x 15, 14, 13, 13

B2) Hammer Curls 
    4 x 15

Antibiotics for the infected elephant thumb have me absolutely knackered so just did some machine/isolation work for a pump.

Quite enjoy the wobbly legs from keg extensions.

B1 was supposed to be lying hamstring curls but didn't get one full rep...sharp dig on the front/side of the hip so pulled that plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Santa bringing any gym stuff?

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    Santa bringing any gym stuff?

Unlikely. I only managed to get my hands on the lifting shoes I bought in March just before the second lockdown and I have everything else I need. Had a scan about but had zero idea as to what I might want.

A less shîtty hip probably isn't something he could just leave under the tree.

Thursday 24/12/2020

A1) BB OHP (@9)
    40kg x 17, 14, 13, 13

A2) Hammer Curls 
    4 x 20

A3) Hanging Leg Raises
    4 x 20

B1) Seated Rows
    5 x 15

B2) Front Raises 
    5 x 15

C1) Seated Calf Raises 
    4 x 20

C2) DB Skullcrusher
    4 x 15

A last pump sesh before the festivities.

The first set on OHP was too close to a 10 so probably knocked a rep or two off overall volume.

I'll probably be swole tomorrow after that.

Saturday 26/12/2020

A) HB Squat
    115kg x 6 (@6.5)
    120kg x 6  (@7.5)
    125kg x 6 (@8.5)

B) Double Pause Bench
    85kg x 5  (@8)
    72.5kg x 9, 8

D) Lat Pulldown
    4 x 15

D) Weighted Ab Rollout
    4 x 15

It's been 2 weeks since I last did any squats (aside from the 7 warm up reps a week ago). Still feeling fatigued from the antibiotics and not much sleep last night so part of me wanted to just play about again but thought I'd just get into it, see how it felt and decide then.

Gave the Power Perfects a run out again but they definitely throw me off a touch so back in the press.

Top sets were ok. A bit less than I'd have hoped for but under the circumstances I'm happy with that. Could feel the tank emptying fast so I gave the back off sets a miss so I could recover for the next day when I'll be front squatting.

Double pause bench was solid enough

Monday 28/12/2020

A) Front Squat
    82.5kg x 5  (@6.5)
    92.5kg x 5  (@7.5)
    100kg x 5  (@8.5)
    90kg x 3 x 5

B) Seated DB OHP
    27.5kgs x 5  (@8)
    22.5kgs x 13, 12

C) Seated Row
    4 x 20

D) Hanging Leg Raise 
    4 x 20

Set with 82.5kg felt better than @6.5 so revised the next set up to 92.5 instead of the 87.5 I'd anticipated. For the last set, I was conflicted about whether I should just do 97.5kg and take 100kg next time out....but then I felt 100 was there at RPE 8.5 so loaded it. But then let it get into my head a bit, which was annoying. Anyway, job done at 8.5. Getting up to my best front squat number and, again, hip remained unbothered by it even though it was a little gammy during the day.

Brain fart on back offs...should have been at 95% of top sets and not 90%. Dime bar.

Wednesday 30/12/2020

A) Rack Pull
    160kg x 5  (@6.5)
    167.5kg x 5  (@7.5)
    175kg x 5  (@8.5)
    157.5kg x 11, 10  (@9)

B) Pin Press  (mid level)
    87.5kg x 5  (@8)
    75kg x 11, 10

C) DB Row
    4 x 20

D) Tricep Pressdown
    4 x 20

Probably last session before Lockdown III: Born From Stupidity. All moved well.

Wednesday/Thursday 6-7/1/2021

A1) Tempo Goblet Squat (3230)
    30kg x 5 x 8

A2) Wide-Grip Push Ups
    5 x 21

B1) Purple Band Pull Aparts 
    5 x 15

B2) Single-Arm DB Rows 
    30kg x 5 x 15 e/s

C1) Tricep Pressdown
    5 x Max

C2) Ab Rollouts
    5 x 10

Just getting back into it. Decided to split workouts into smaller, 'bite-size' chunks to do on a daily basis and do the same work but just takes less to get myself to go into a spare room to workout after being inside all day.

Some changes to the last time around...just modifying some of the exercises, e.g. changing 1.5 Goblet Squat to Tempo Goblet Squat.

Will make it a 4s eccentric and concentric next time. I thought it was grand but when I started walking around, I had that post high-rep leg extension feeling in my quads. Maybe just cos I haven't squatted in a week.

Learned my lesson this time with the ab rollouts and did a couple of reps a set less than the last time I did them for the first time in a while, I had the worst DOMS for a couple of days.

Friday/Saturday 8-9/1/2021

A1) DB Floor Press (@9)[/B]
    30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 13

A2) Side Planks
    5 x 45s e/s

A3) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

B1) Narrow Push Ups
    4 x 20
    1 x 41

5 x Max e/s

B3) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Hollow Hold
    5 x Max

Last lockdown, I was doing the floor press for sets @9. Set the reps with an AMRAP for last set and ended up with same reps as last lockdown workout so it's a decent starting point.

Nice burn from a lot of this.

A1) Nordic Curls
    4 x 8
    1 x 14

A2) Lunges
    25kg x 5 x 15 e/s

A3) Single-arm Banded OHP
    4 x 12 e/s
    1 x 19 e/s

B1) Double DB Row
    30kgs x 4 x 15
    30kgs x 21

B2) (Purple) Banded Curls
    5 x Max

B3) Double-Pause Push Ups
    4 x 15
    1 x 21

C) Weighted Plank
    1 x 45s

Changed A1 from tempo RDLs to Nordic Curls. It works glutes less but just seemed a better option today for my hip. They do seem like they might just rip your hamstring off the bone....serious contraction.

Really need to make sure I keep my torso upright so it doesn't aggravate the hip.

The double-pause push ups were a good addition. Just tried them out as was doing double-pause bench before lockdown.

Did planks in press-up position with red resistance band in my hands and around my back to act as a weight. Felt like about 15kg on my back.

Wednesday/Thursday 13-14/1/2021

A1) Tempo Goblet Squat (4310)
    30kg x 5 x 8

A2) Wide-Grip Push Ups
    4 x 21
    1 x 39

B1) Purple Band Pull Aparts 
    5 x 16

B2) Single-Arm DB Rows 
    30kg x 3 x 15 e/s
    30kg x 21 e/s

C1) Tricep Pressdown
    5 x Max

C2) Ab Rollouts
    5 x 11

I had the tempo for squats at 4240 but didn't really feel like I was getting much from the 4s concentric so increase the pause at the bottom to 3s and driving hard out of the hole. Definitely felt I got more from it.

Splitting the workouts across 2 days allows me to get out for fresh air and get a couple of kms under the belt as much for my head as anything. Last lockdown I didn't get out the days I was working put and that made it more of a chore so this time I'm getting the work done and getting out for walks at night and that makes it easier to do.

• Advertisement

Friday/Saturday 15-16/1/2021

A1) DB Floor Press
    30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 14

A2) Side Planks
    5 x 50 e/s

A3) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

B1) Narrow Push Ups
    4 x 20