Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what I'm doing but I know what I've done

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Friday/Saturday 6-7/3/2021

A) Goblet Squat
    30kg x 5 x 20

B1) Paused Wide-Grip Push Ups (3s pause at the bottom)
    4 x 12
    1 x 15

B2) Straight Arm Pulldowns
    Purple x 5 x 20

B3) Seated Wide(r)-Grip Banded Rows 
    Green x 4 x 23
    1 x 27

C1) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

C2) Ab Rollouts
    5 x 18

Goblet squats were grand. Been a little bit tentative with lower body work this week cos I don't want to cause any inflammation of the hip when I've only just been on anti-inflams for it. Shaky legs after but banged them out fine all the same. Cardio.

3s seemed to get an awful lot longer very quickly at the bottom of those push ups...  I just gauged sets off how they felt on the first set. Reckoned it would guide me towards sets of 15 but when I actually started doing them, I knew 12 was the right call for sets.

Probably more than I have ever done on the ab rollouts. Can't drop them now because of the horrendous DOMS I would have when I go back so I'll end up doing so many of them I'll have to forgo the rest of the exercises because time.

Monday/Tuesday 8-9/3/2021

A1) Paused DB Floor Press (2s pause)
    30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 15

A2) Pallof Press
    5 x 30 e/s

A3) Purple Band Pull Aparts
    5 x 20

B1) Double-Pause Narrow Push Ups  (on handles)
    4 x 12
    1 x 13

B2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max e/s

B3) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Banded Deadbugs
    5 x 12 e/s

Definitely erred on the side of longer pauses on the paused floor press.  Just where I came down between metronome clocks and did the 2+ seconds. Will keep sets at 12 for next week, hopefully more on the AMRAP and then sets of 13 the following week.

Upped the ante on the double-pause push ups. Increased pause to 2s pause half way down and again at the bottom. Was harder than I expected, in terms of volume.

Plenty of room to scale up on the deadbugs with heavier band and more reps. Good for a bit of work in the hip flexors as well.

Wednesday/Thursday 10-11/3/2021

A1) Tempo RDLs (52X0)
    30kgs x 5 x 11

A2) Tempo Push Ups on handles (30X0)
    4 x 17
    1 x 19 (+2)

B1) Split Squats (goblet hold)
    30kgs x 5 x 15 e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) Banded Row
    4 x 24
    1 x 28

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

D) Side Plank
    5 x 50s e/s

I think I'll change the tempo on the RDLs to give me more time paused at the bottom. Maybe 44X0.

Probably increase the tempo on the eccentric of the push ups to 4s next week.

Brought in face pulls instead of OHP just to for shoulder helf. There are a lot of pressing reps.

Friday/Saturday 12-13/3/2021

A) Goblet Squat
    30kg x 5 x 25

4 x 12
    1 x 16

Purple x 5 x 20

B3) Seated Wide(r)-Grip Banded Rows 
    Green x 4 x 25
    1 x 28

C1) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

C2) Ab Rollouts
    5 x 19

Added a few reps onto goblet squat. Cardio...but just making sure I'm not being sloppy with it either.

The 3s pause on wide grip push ups is a  burn. Arms start trembling towards the back end of sets 4 and 5.

Might try a standing ab rollout - or the negatives to start - next week. Stay tuned for lols when that goes badly wrong.

Monday/Tuesday 15-16/3/2021

30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 19

A2) Pallof Press
    5 x 30 e/s

5 x 22

4 x 12
    1 x 15

B2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max e/s

B3) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Banded Deadbugs
    5 x 15 e/s

The AMRAP set of 19 on floor press is a bit misleading...i had pencilled it in for a window during the day then something kicked off at work so had to go back to last 2 sets hours after first 3.

2s double pauses are killer. You get to about 9 reps thinking it's fine and then the burn kicks in fast.

Pulling the band out as well as up on front raises to give an extra dimension go the raises.

Up to the orange band with shrugs today. It will certainly test the welded joints on the handles I'm using. Upper traps got burned ta jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Had a quick flick through your log , I'm happy to see your bench was 70kg max in 2013 then I flick to a random page and your doing 100kg bench in 2017, well done I'm not far off your 2013 level gives me some hope although im 40 I'll have to deal with testosterone falling off a cliff for next few years .
    Great progress ��

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Had a quick flick through your log , I'm happy to see your bench was 70kg max in 2013 then I flick to a random page and your doing 100kg bench in 2017, well done I'm not far off your 2013 level gives me some hope although im 40 I'll have to deal with testosterone falling off a cliff for next few years .
    Great progress ��

I went a long time not really knowing what I was at. 2016 was probably the first time there was any meaningful structure to my training. Last PR on bench was just before Lockdown 2.0 (110kg), about a week before I turned 40. Bench was always my weakest lift but with a hip injury that's I'll have to work around, its the one lift that has been least compromised.

I went a long time not really knowing what I was at. 2016 was probably the first time there was any meaningful structure to my training. Last PR on bench was just before Lockdown 2.0 (110kg), about a week before I turned 40. Bench was always my weakest lift but with a hip injury that's I'll have to work around, its the one lift that has been least compromised.

So I'll ignore all your training till 2016 :)
    It's good to read logs and see how people progress and what exercises they use/used it's a useful exercise for me starting out .
    110kg is incredible lifting fair play cannot imagine how someone lifts that kinda weight , deadlifting 110kg is hard enough without trying to get it off your chest .

So I'll ignore all your training till 2016 :)
    It's good to read logs and see how people progress and what exercises they use/used it's a useful exercise for me starting out .
    110kg is incredible lifting fair play cannot imagine how someone lifts that kinda weight , deadlifting 110kg is hard enough without trying to get it off your chest .

It isn't really. I'm a lot further down the road than you and you'll get there in time.

Everything pre-2016 still got me to a better starting point in 2016 than if I'd done nothing. There's a context that isn't in writing there as well that's sometimes helpful when I read over those days :)

Friday/Saturday 19-20/3/2021

A1) Tempo RDLs (44X0)
    30kgs x 4 x 10

A2) Tempo Push Ups on handles (40X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 14

B1) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

B2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

C1) Side Plank
    4 x 55s e/s

C2) DB Row
    5 x 15

This was supposed to be Wednesday and Thursday....I woke up on Wednesday and I couldn't put any weight on my leg. I think, in hindsight, it was the banded deadbugs....upped the ante on them a bit much and hip flexors didn't enjoy. Bit sore when I was walking Tuesday evening and a shítty night of sleep that night. Got anti-inflammatories involved as soon as I could get myself downstairs. 45 mins later and I was able to move a bit better so I got on with the day. Improved and got some of the stretches in and felt things improve. Really good sleep and it was much better in the morning. Daddy Daycare on Thursday and Friday so less time to get the work in and wanted to to rest the hip to be sure.

Dropped the number of sets to 4 on the RDLs just to take it handy on the hip.

10 weeks done in Lockdown 3. Consistency much better than Lockdown 2 at least and balancing workout with walks for fresh air.

• Advertisement

Monday/Tuesday 22-23/3/2021

A) Goblet Squat
    30kg x 6 x 25

4 x 13
    1 x 14 (+2)

Purple x 5 x 20

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 15 e/s
    30kg x 23 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

D) Standing Ab Rollout Negatives
    4 x 8

Extra set on goblet squats for missing on leg work the other day.

3s pause still sucks donkey balls on the wide-grip push ups.

Rollout negatives were tough but the beginning of a progression to a full one...its just about exercising control over the first part of the movement and not just flying out and flopping on the floor at the end. A little like a Nordic curl in that sense. Then returning to start position on knees as though they were done on knees fully. Tried them out last night and had unexpected DOMS today so didn't want get to do the 5th set

Wednesday/Thursday 24-25/3/2021

30kgs x 4 x 13
    30kgs x 15

A2) Shoulder Taps
    5 x 20 e/s

5 x 21

4 x 13
    1 x 15

B2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

B3) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C) Side Bends
    30kg x 5 x 25 e/s

Same total reps as last week on floor press but without the unintentional long break between first 3 and last 2 set so I'd consider that an improvement.

Pallof Press was niggling at my hip, though if I had left it til after work when I wasn't between bouts of sitting and a bit niggly.

Double pause push ups still burn. The 2s pause halfway down burns a bit more.

Side Bends...I know I'll feel them tomorrow

Friday/Saturday 26-27/3/2021

A1) Tempo RDLs (44X0)
    30kgs x 5 x 10

4 x 13
    1 x 15 (+5)

B1) Split Squats (goblet hold)
    30kgs x 4 x 16 e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) DB Row
    4 x 15
    1 x 22

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

D) Side Plank
    5 x 60s e/s

Got it done. Trying to make an ankle strap to hook the band around so I can do leg extensions without the band slipping up my leg.

Monday/Tuesday 22-23/3/2021

A) Paused Goblet Squat
    30kg x 6 x 25

4 x 13
    1 x 15 (+1)

Purple x 5 x 20

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 16 e/s
    30kg x 19 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

4 x 8

I was going to change up the Goblet squats but said I'd give it a week or two as I was expecting to need to stretch things out at home til July or beyond. Anyway, gives an ok quad pump.

Wide-grip push ups still pretty challenging. Think I'll be ok on bench when gyms reopen.

Started the ab rollout negatives last night with the intention of getting the 5 sets done but got cut short. Grand - finish them today. Nope! Soreness. Not DOMS as such but a soreness when doing them nonetheless. Four sets again.

Wednesday/Thursday 1/4/2021

30kgs x 3 x 13
    30kgs x 16

A2) Purple Band Pull Aparts 
    5 x 22

4 x 13
    1 x 17 (+2)

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Side Bends
    30kg x 5 x 30 e/s

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

Didn't expect to get any more reps on floor press than last week...just felt a bit off. So to get one more on the last set, happy with that.

Mad burn off the shrugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Try holding at the top of the shrug for 2 seconds. Adds a little more kick to your trap doms the next day

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Try holding at the top of the shrug for 2 seconds. Adds a little more kick to your trap doms the next day

Yep, already doing that...just because the nature of banded shrugs means the resistance is lowest at the bottom and increases so I like more time under max tension

Is the reason you do banded shrugs instead of barbell shrugs because of lack of access to a barbell ?

Is the reason you do banded shrugs instead of barbell shrugs because of lack of access to a barbell ?

I have access to bands, push up handles and a pair of dumbbells. Hence the pause and tempo work....12 weeks of home workouts with limited equipment and you need to have plenty of ways of making the exercises harder.

I have access to bands, push up handles and a pair of dumbbells. Hence the pause and tempo work....12 weeks of home workouts with limited equipment and you need to have plenty of ways of making the exercises harder.

Fair play that some great improvisation. Pause work just sounds like a world of pain you need great discipline not to cheat. Hopefully gyms open for you soon .

• Advertisement

Fair play that some great improvisation. Pause work just sounds like a world of pain you need great discipline not to cheat. Hopefully gyms open for you soon .

I just use a metronome to time the pauses/tempo. If you're counting pauses out yourself, its easy to 'cheat' without realising.

The alternative is to just bang out way too many reps to get any sort of hit off them.

Also, the pause and tempo work is similar to what I've done with a bar and well. Last bench day in the gym was doing double pause bench:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You really use a metronome??

You really use a metronome??

Not an actual one...though I kinda like the idea of having one. It's an app. But YouTube seems to have a a metronome for any BPM you like as well

Friday/Saturday 2-3/4/2021

A1) Tempo RDLs (44X0)
    30kgs x 4 x 11

4 x 13
    1 x 16

A3) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

B) DB Row
    4 x 16 e/s
    1 x 20 e/s

When I have days off, I seem to have less opportunity to train for some reason. 23k steps/day the last few days. Anyway, such is life...was a nice relaxing few days.

RDLs gave a lovely hamstring pump.

Push ups...quite enjoy that can still get a workout from these.

Monday/Tuesday 5-6/4/2021

A) Paused Goblet Squat (2s pause)
    30kg x 4 x 15

4 x 13
    1 x 16 (+1)

Purple x 5 x 20

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 16
    30kg x 19 

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

5 x 8

Time a bit squeezed yesterday and got delayed starting this evening so didn't get everything done but made sure to get the squats done.

Squat seems to bother my ITB at the moment, which isn't a surprise when I read back the notes from the doc. But overall, things very slowly moving the right direction.  Hopefully get started on the work with the physio soon.

Wasn't too taxing and sat into it nice and deep, which was nice.

Wednesday/Thursday 7-8/4/2021

A1) Paused DB Floor Press (3s pause)
    30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 12

5 x 23

B1) Tempo & Pause Narrow Push Ups  on handles (32X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 14

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Paused Side Bends
    30kg x 5 x 30 e/s

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

Increased the pause on floor press from 2s to 3s. Veeerrrryyyy noticeable difference. Second set, in was wondering if the set of 12 were a touch too much. Could probably have ground out another rep on the last set but it was a little loose. Even at the start before the first rep, I nearly lost control of one of the DBs, fortunately in the opposite direction of my face. Something to be more conscious of next time.

Should have been doing pull aparts with palms up more often for a bit more external rotation in the shoulder.

Changed up the 'close-grip' push ups. Tempo and a pause. Good tricep burn.

Front raises aren't just straight up; they're up and out. Adds a little more burn, which I like.

Friday/Saturday 9-10/4/2021

A1) Tempo RDLs (44X0)
    30kgs x 5 x 11

4 x 13
    1 x 17

B1) Banded Leg Extensions
    5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) DB Row
    4 x 16
    1 x 21

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

D) Weighted Plank
    5 x 60s e/s

Hip can feel a bit twingey with the hinge for the rows and the way around that had been to just be a touch more upright but copped that if I stagger my stance with left leg back, problem solved. Boom.

Finally tried on the new ankle cuffs...looping the band was one thing but something to hook it through so I could do leg extensions properly took s bit of messing around to find a set up that worked but my 6" physio wedge and a bed leg to loop the band around turned out to be the bet set up. Decent quad burn!

Monday/Tuesday 12-13/4/2021

A) Paused Goblet Squat (3s pause)
    30kg x 4 x 15

4 x 14
    1 x 14 (+2)

Purple x 5 x 21

C1) DB Rows 
    30kg x 4 x 16 e/s
    30kg x 21 e/s

C2) OH Tricep Extension 
    5 x Max

5 x 8

Increased pause to 3s. Cardio. Sitting down into the pause with what I imagine to be Clarence Kennedy depth. Felt like the ITB (or at least that general area) was being aggravated a touch and was having to fight harder to keep weight same through both feet throughout so cut it at 4 sets.

Wednesday/Thursday 14-15/4/2021

A1) Paused DB Floor Press (3s pause)
    30kgs x 4 x 12
    30kgs x 15

5 x 23

B1) Tempo & Pause Narrow Push Ups  on handles (32X0)
    4 x 12
    1 x 15

B2) Banded Shrugs
    5 x Max

C1) Paused Side Bends
    30kg x 5 x 32 e/s

C2) Front Raises 
    5 x Max 

Happier with the paused floor press this week. Bit tighter and certainly couldn't be accused of skimping on the 3s pauses. Ended up either having slightly longer or slowly bringing the weight down to the bottom in time with the clicking of the metronome  (app) so I could time the 3s exactly.

Christ but there is is some burn off the push ups with the tempo and pause. Making sure to keep my elbows reasonably tucked/controlled and moving such that it's quite like bringing the bar to a lower part of your chest, for close grip.

Palms up for pull aparts. Can feel the difference in the movement.

Week 14 of this lockdown's training and getting by a lot better than the second lockdown. I still really can't wait to go get in a rack and get my hands on a bar but it feels like the rejig and splitting sessions across days has been a big help, mentally.

• Advertisement

Friday/Saturday 16-17/4/2021

A1) Tempo RDLs (44X0)
    30kgs x 4 x 11

4 x 14
    1 x 15

B1) Banded Leg Extensions
    5 x Max e/s

B2) Face Pulls
    5 x Max

C1) DB Row
    4 x 17
    1 x 18

C2) Tricep Pushdown
    5 x Max

Did an extra set on left leg for leg extensions. Had switched to green band and was getting good pump off them. The sports doc had measured quads on both sides, when I was in with him about my hip, and circumference of left was 0.5-1.0 cm less than right. Which makes sense since I was shifting weight a little more to my right on squats and could definitely feel my right side tire on high rep back-off sets on deadlift. So a bit more work on the left side here.

Advertisement