Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

STB. wrote:
    Linux. Enigma 2 boxes.

Can these boxes run IPTV ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Can these boxes run IPTV ?

High end ones can have iptv plugins. The zgemma or vu+ would be able as you need a good processing to run everything. IIRC the mips chipset is required to run true enigma2 images. Broadcom chipset boxes are not great for running sat/fta/triple hd recording/iptv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

lsjmhar wrote: »
    High end ones can have iptv plugins. The zgemma or vu+ would be able as you need a good processing to run everything. IIRC the mips chipset is required to run true enigma2 images. Broadcom chipset boxes are not great for running sat/fta/triple hd recording/iptv.

I have no experience of Androids set top boxes, but agree that Enigma2 is excellent for satellite and saorview in one list with 7 day epg. I have a thread over on the satellite forum, on this. You can get a combined EPG with channels divided into categories, like Sky/Freesat.

The TiviarAlpha+, which I currently use, has plenty of grunt for running multiple sat/fta channels. It also supports IPTV, but the Kodi plugin is so slow as to be unusable. Have you any experience using this with zgemma or vu+?

The TiviarAlpha+, which I currently use, has plenty of grunt for running multiple sat/fta channels. It also supports IPTV, but the Kodi plugin is so slow as to be unusable. Have you any experience using this with zgemma or vu+?

I never bothered buying any of those as I waited for connect box. Looking at the vu+, I imagine that is a futureproof box. It can run all three - sat/fta, iptv and kodi - with good image support. However, they are steep price at €400. I bought two connect boxes for €160 and have a rpi running kodi for me. Hoping that they continue to improve connect box, maybe add Netflix app!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Its no longer high end. Boxes costing 100stg are now running all three. The free availability of more powerful chips at more affordable prices have swamped the market over the last year. Octagon/Edision/Zgemma means you don't have to lash out what was three times the price.

The one mimicing E2 in between was using STi (SH4) chips . Then there was a move from MIPS to ARM. ARM has made it very affordable.

The box I currently use is ARM 64 bit architecture running off a Quad Core CPU @ 1.6MHGZ (15,000 DMIPS) with 1Gig of DDR4 RAM & 8GB eMMC flash. Needless to say it runs all three sat, terrestrial and IPTV no problem (4k too with H265). It cost 100stg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

STB. wrote: »
    The box I currently use runs all three sat, terrestrial and IPTV no problem (4k too with H265). It cost 100stg.

What box is that and can you post a link to it please?

What box is that and can you post a link to it please?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon-sf8008

That DVB-T and DVBS-2 combo is 99STG.

If you want to record a satellite station and watch another satellite station at the same time you may wish to buy the 2 x DVB-S2 version and add a USB DVB-T stick (for Saorview). But for simple recording whilst away or simple Saorview and Satellite viewing use then the combo will be fine. Has native Kodi as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@STB any experience / feedback of the Zgemma H7S yet?

STB. wrote:
    If you want to record a satellite station and watch another satellite station at the same time you may wish to buy the 2 x DVB-S2 version and add a USB DVB-T stick (for Saorview). But for simple recording whilst away or simple Saorview and Satellite viewing use then the combo will be fine. Has native Kodi as well.

STB. wrote:
    That DVB-T and DVBS-2 combo is 99STG.

Just saw on YouTube that the latest OpenATV image has a beta Netflix plugin for this box. That is fantastic. Definitely worth the money with this addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just saw on YouTube that the latest OpenATV image has a beta Netflix plugin for this box. That is fantastic. Definitely worth the money with this addition.

Does it support widevine to get Netflix in HD?

• Advertisement

@STB any experience / feedback of the Zgemma H7S yet?

Nope. I have a view on Zgemma.

Cant say anything good bad or indifferent about the H7S though as I haven't had one to test.

On the Octagon though, excellent value for the cost. Had one a few months now and cannot fault it. Boot time is something else.

Does it support widevine to get Netflix in HD?

No idea. You'd have to contact openatv devs to get that answered!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No idea. You'd have to contact openatv devs to get that answered!!

I think the hardware needs to support it first. It may do. I certainly would have no interest in SD only Netflix on a 4k TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Wouldn't have too much interest in getting Netflix on Enigma devices myself. Even the oldest TV in the house here has a Netflix app on it which works very well.

I don't think Widevine L1 is made available for any commercial boxes anyway.

TBH I wasn't aware that Netflix was running on it at all!

A few screen shots below of the OSD, Epg etc on the Octagon Sf8008 (I wont inbed them)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alpha77

What's in the new update today 20.20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 sumach

TG4 app now working at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Other bugs besides the fix of TG4 player still seem to be there in 20.20 update.

One of the most annoying that I encounter is where the SV Connect box still keeps saying "you need to be connected to the internet to do this" (or words to that effect) when trying to access On Demand/players section in the menu.
    This happens even though the network info section in the settings shows the box is connected to wifi with an "excellent" signal. (The router is definitely connected to the internet as other devices can access it via the same router at that time.)

Box rebooting 2 or 3 times when turned on from a cold start is still happening as well, which makes the startup even slower.

Haven't tested it with a satellite dish, but the satellite functionality in 20.19 was disastrous, so I'm not optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

duridian wrote: »
    Other bugs besides the fix of TG4 player still seem to be there in 20.20 update.

One of the most annoying that I encounter is where the SV Connect box still keeps saying "you need to be connected to the internet to do this" (or words to that effect) when trying to access On Demand/players section in the menu.
    This happens even though the network info section in the settings shows the box is connected to wifi with an "excellent" signal. (The router is definitely connected to the internet as other devices can access it via the same router at that time.)

Yep, I get that wifi thing too. I go to settings, disable wifi, enable wifi and hey presto its fixed. Bit of a pain though.

TG4 player is working fine but the RTE player is absolute ****. I have FTTH and I am watching a circle spinning on every player clip I try. How are they getting this so bad???

• Advertisement

This box is so frustrating. I tried to scan changed frequency for Quest HD to set up record for EFL highlights. The box knocked out all of my channels in sat and I have to reset them again. I have still not gotten access to Quest HE or Freesport HD. WTF!!!

This box is so frustrating. I tried to scan changed frequency for Quest HD to set up record for EFL highlights. The box knocked out all of my channels in sat and I have to reset them again. I have still not gotten access to Quest HE or Freesport HD. WTF!!!

I heard they are working on a firmware fix for that. Should be out in time for the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 sumach

The software update seems to have fixed the TG4 player and broken the RTE player, which is not not streaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Newbie alert! Since we lost the VM analogue channels the missus wants to get something in place for the kitchen. Looking at saorview connect as a possibility. We cannot get satellite due to large trees (it's been tried!) so only option is aerial (not even sure what type will work for us) and we already have decent broadband. So, how do I go about finding out the best options in terms of hardware etc. I see that the likes of DID have the boxes and aerial solutions, would these be good enough? Thanks.

@degsie

There's not a whole of channels on Saorview to justify the purchase of the Connect box.

If you have a recent FlatscreenTV (last 10 years) it'll have a Saorview (DVB-T) built in. Connect an aerial to it and scan the dvb-t channels.

Satellite. Whats the distance from the house to the trees. The would need to be on top of you to stop a satellite signal. Gp to dishpointer and stick your address in and zoom in - pick 28.2E on the right. It'll give you the direction for the dish and the min distances for obstacles. Remember a dish can be placed a few foot off the ground.

@degsie

Satellite. Whats the distance from the house to the trees. The would need to be on top of you to stop a satellite signal.

Very close and to the south, several neighbours have tried and failed to get satellite. Very annoying!

Gp to dishpointer and stick your address in and zoom in - pick 28.2E on the right. It'll give you the direction for the dish and the min distances for obstacles. Remember a dish can be placed a few foot off the ground.

This is the problem the trees are on a hill and VERY tall!

494462.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

degsie wrote: »

494462.jpg

We had a problem with a tree as well, I put the dish on the chimney, fine since.

decor58 wrote: »
    We had a problem with a tree as well, I put the dish on the chimney, fine since.

Was tried by an installer, no joy.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »

Wow. Do you get any sunshine in the back garden at all!

That must be a bigger problem. Some of the trees need to come down.

I don't know where that is, but your Saorview signal might not be any better if that is in a valley. You might need a very big aerial!

Assuming you have decent broadband, your options might be limited to the eir vision box or IPTV of some sort.

Advertisement