Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Make sure the Zgemma is the H7S model, there is another with a similar number that is not suitable. Enigma boxes allow you to stream both live and recordings to other devices on your home network. FTA recordings can also be copied to other devices for remote viewing or archiving as they are not encrypted. (unlike some Freesat boxes)

How easy is it to stream around the network?

I currently have a Humax Foxsat that works fine, but I would like to play recordings on other TVs around the house. Will this box allow this, and if so, what other hardware & software is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I currently have a Humax Foxsat that works fine, but I would like to play recordings on other TVs around the house. Will this box allow this, and if so, what other hardware & software is needed?

Very easy. I use a fire tablet and android phone to watch stuff back all the time. I can also (if I wanted) cast to a chromecast from one of those devices. You could also get a fire stick. Not sure if you can watch directly on TV without a specific device though - it's possible you could if the tv had a web browser, but I don't know for sure there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

dulpit wrote: »
    Very easy. I use a fire tablet and android phone to watch stuff back all the time. I can also (if I wanted) cast to a chromecast from one of those devices. You could also get a fire stick. Not sure if you can watch directly on TV without a specific device though - it's possible you could if the tv had a web browser, but I don't know for sure there.

I have too Samsung smart TVs that I think might work. Samsung

Could I watch on a Win 10 PC?

Could I watch on a Win 10 PC?

Yep. You can access via web browser and then stream using VLC or similar. Super easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

dulpit wrote: »

It does not make the media available via DLNA on the network?

I would think that might be more universal if available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Anything that supports a web browser can access what is called the WEBIF. In the 1st screenshot you can see part of the channel list. Clicking the TV screen icon beside a channel name opens that TV channel on your PC or whatever. The next icon opens the full 7 day EPG for that channel. As you can see this app also allows you set timers edit bouquets etc etc. It is very powerful.
    499528.png

The next screenshot show the "movies" folder where recordings are kept. Again the TV icon will stream that recording to your device.
    499529.png

SMART TVs should have DNLA which can also access recording directly from the box. It may need to be enabled on the box first but that would be a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

STB. wrote: »
    E2 receivers have become faster and more affordable. You can easily buy a triple tuner config with a 1.7 Meg processor which has 1 gig of ram (the important things to watch for as they make the box run smoother).

If you are confined to dvb-t you will need an Enigma2 receiver that has two terrestrial inputs or a twin input so you can record one terrestrial channel whilst watching another on a different frequency. The box I linked below also comes in a 2 x dvb-t2 and 1 dvb-s2 config so you might want to check if WOS have it in stock.

Otherwise if you also have a satellite dish then you can buy a semi decent 2 x dvb-s2 and 1 dvb-t2 combo enigma receiver for about STG 112. Please note that your watch and record on terrestrial will be limited to watching satellite (if recording on dvb-t) if you get this config.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/zgemma/zgemma-h7s

If you just want a box to watch TV and record the occasional programme without the need to watch another programme at the same time, then the Octagon SF8008 is highly recommended.
    Been reading back through several weeks of posts as I'm looking to ditch an awful Virgin Media TV product in the coming weeks and just take out a broadband package. I'm only really looking to be able to watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc so am now looking at these boxes, but have no knowledge of them. I don't have a satellite dish, but would like to be able to watch one channel and record another at the same time.

Am I right in saying that the likes of the below would fit my needs?

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon-sf8008-twin-s2x?filter_name=OCTAGON%20SF8008

Are there any other elements/connections I need to consider?

pablo57 wrote: »
    Been reading back through several weeks of posts as I'm looking to ditch an awful Virgin Media TV product in the coming weeks and just take out a broadband package. I'm only really looking to be able to watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc so am now looking at these boxes, but have no knowledge of them. I don't have a satellite dish, but would like to be able to watch one channel and record another at the same time.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon-sf8008-twin-s2x?filter_name=OCTAGON%20SF8008

You'll definitely need a satellite dish, unless you are close enough to the border/East Coast to pick up free view overspill.

If you need help with satellites and setup/etc, suggest you pop over to the satellite forum...

pablo57 wrote: »

For the Irish channels you will need a box with a terrestrial tuner as well as 2 satellite tuners and a suitable aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Yea, a linux 2 box with a twin sat tuner and a single terrestrial tuner isn't a bad setup. Make sure it has a hard disk option for recording and a seven day EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Make sure the Zgemma is the H7S model, there is another with a similar number that is not suitable. Enigma boxes allow you to stream both live and recordings to other devices on your home network. FTA recordings can also be copied to other devices for remote viewing or archiving as they are not encrypted. (unlike some Freesat boxes)

Thanks for the help on this. I ordered this box last week and it should be here Tuesday.

In preparation, I'm just wondering is there any modification I'll need to do out of the box i.e. flashing an image, adding skins (I think it's coming with the factory image) and if so are there any useful tutorials or recommendations?

I will only be using it with an aerial for the time being but would be interested in pushing it further as I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭greasepalm

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help on this. I ordered this box last week and it should be here Tuesday.

In preparation, I'm just wondering is there any modification I'll need to do out of the box i.e. flashing an image, adding skins (I think it's coming with the factory image) and if so are there any useful tutorials or recommendations?

I will only be using it with an aerial for the time being but would be interested in pushing it further as I go.

What image are you going to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

Anyone know where I can get a replacment remote control for this
    Powerpoint DXD7025VC Saorview box?

New or used...

Thanks very much.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a replacment remote control for this
    Powerpoint DXD7025VC Saorview box?

New or used...

Thanks very much.

https://www.freetv.ie/powerpoint-dxd7025svc-remote-control/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

greasepalm wrote: »
    What image are you going to use?

Just set it up yesterday and it has OpenATV 6.0 pre loaded on it with a fairly generic skin. Any suggestions for an image/skin that's easier on the eye would be much appreciated.

I really like the Webif functionality from the browser. You can really tweak it exactly to your preference. The remote control is a breath of fresh air too.

One unusual problem I am having however: When I connect it to the television (Sony bravia) the image is slightly blurry and zoomed in too much. On checking the video settings, they are set to "Scart" even though I'm using a HDMI cable. When I change it to HDMI the image goes black and says "out of range" then defaults back to the scart setting. It lets me look at a preview through the transparent menu as I change the setting and the image looks clear and crisp. When I save the changes it blacks out again. I tried a few different cables and ports and resetting the tv settings but to no avail...

Thats image is too old and has been replaced a few times as its up to 6.3 or 6.4 in testing mode i believe.
    Box will need a new image and a clean start and should have access to other things and skins.
    I mainly use openvix as i find it does what i need.
    When setting up box the wizard asks questions to how/what you want the settings at.
    Thinking this box model is a 4k and tv is only 1080?
    Transparent window sounds like your trying to adjust the picture size to fit the tv screen which sometime needs a tweak to get rid of the edges that are showing.
    Go through the settings again and choose hdmi and save.
    Is tv on the new setting saying enigma 2?

One word of warning make sure units are powered off before messing with cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Lads ye do realise this is a saorview connect thread

OOPs missed that again cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Have you tried the third party firmware for the Humax? I used it for a number of years to stream live tv and recordings to tablets, pc and other TVs.

Have you tried the third party firmware for the Humax? I used it for a number of years to stream live tv and recordings to tablets, pc and other TVs.

I have not tried it because I am nervous of turning the Foxsat into a doorstop. I have not the courage to try it as I have no experience of Linux.

• Advertisement

I have not tried it because I am nervous of turning the Foxsat into a doorstop. I have not the courage to try it as I have no experience of Linux.

It was super easy to setup and use. I’ll dig out the details for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Turn it off and on and reconnect the hdd.

From reading through this thread thus far, (that will shorten your day for you!), it seems that when you plug in a hard drive to a record enabled box, it asks if you want to format the drive for recording ?
    Anyone know what disc format the Saorview Connect Box uses ? such as ext3 / ext4 etc. And what video format they use, are they .TS files ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

doney84 wrote: »
    I played around a little with a Sony TV that had youview. It's a very slick UI and well layed out with great implementation of the catch up services, iPlayer, ITV Hub etc but due to geo blocking they won't work here. What I did notice was that when I scanned in the terrestrial services it completely ignored the Saorview channels and didn't populate them in the youview EPG. I wonder if the Saorview connect box would treat the Freeview channels the same and ignore them?

I had a similar experience with a Sony. (KD-49 XG8396). There is no country selection in initial setup, country / region is determined in software from epg data or internet connection. It will by default populate the UK channels at the top of the guide and Saorview channels are scattered around the 800s as the tuner finds them.

With Youview enabled, it will put the NI Minmux channels in the guide, but they don't have catch-up capability, however it seems to completely ignore the Saorview transmitter at Clermont Carn, so I have disabled Youview.

Great TV, but disappointed that I can't select the setup country as Ireland. It's a bit of a chore, but it is possible to manually change to LCN No's to mimmic the guide on an older Sony in another room.

I have updated the information on modifying the Humax HDR to here.
    By default, HD recordings are encrypted and cannot be streamed or viewed on other devices other than the box they are recorded on. The patch I have uploaded allows future recordings be unencrypted.

Its a long time since I did this, but it was very straightforward.
    (My knowledge of Linux is limited, but no knowledge was required.)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask

Looking at possibly buying this LG TV

24TL510S

If I connect a saorview aerial and a freesat satellite dish to it at the same time, can I receive both Irish saorview channels and UK freesat channels on this TV?

Would the region settings stop receiving both services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The name of this thread needs to be changed to 'Saorview Connect Set-Top Box'. The current name suggests that it's a generic Saorview thread.

monkeycork wrote: »
    Hi

24TL510S

If I connect a saorview aerial and a freesat satellite dish to it at the same time, can I receive both Irish saorview channels and UK freesat channels on this TV?

It will work fine, but why buy such a small tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

monkeycork wrote: »
    Hi

24TL510S

this tv/monitor doesn't have a satellite connection or tuner so you wont get freesat

kooga wrote: »
    this tv/monitor doesn't have a satellite connection or tuner so you wont get freesat

Spec sheet that I read says it has an S2 tuner. So looks like it does have Freesat.

• Advertisement

Some versions have DVB-S2 tuner no mention of FreeSat but would do FTA

Advertisement