Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Anyone link or guide to setting one up close as poss to sky like setup

You need to look up enigma2 threads on boards.ie . There are many boxes with different versions of the os available for install

mollymac57 wrote:
    Is there any satisfactory alternative to the Powerpoint box to get Saorview Connect. Preferably one that works consistently and comes with a HDD for record, has pause, EPG, and the players come installed.Would any of the Freeview or other UK boxes work (DVBT/T2 compatible). I’m not interested in signing up with Sky.

Not at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mollymac57 wrote: »
    Is there any satisfactory alternative to the Powerpoint box to get Saorview Connect. Preferably one that works consistently and comes with a HDD for record, has pause, EPG, and the players come installed.Would any of the Freeview or other UK boxes work (DVBT/T2 compatible). I’m not interested in signing up with Sky.

Not 'off the shelf'.
    It is achievable with a little work.

Not 'off the shelf'.

I don't think there is any box with the rte player facility on it, only the powerpoint box

Not 'off the shelf'.

I don't think there is any box with the rte player facility on it, only the powerpoint box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Is anyone having problems with these boxes randomnly dropping channels. Our box was working for months then one day the aerial channels disappeared. Couldn't get a signal at all, indoor aerial. I wasnt too pushed as i still had the satellite side. Then one day the aerial channels returned.

Last week i lost both. No signal on either side. Got by on netflix for a few days then tried to retune both sides. Got no satellite option at all but got about half the aerial channels with very good picture. Im thinking it has to be the box. Is there any fix if you've had this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shomar Ltd.

To help you correct your problem please call the Saorview Help Line on 1890 222 012.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

threeball wrote: »
    Is anyone having problems with these boxes randomnly dropping channels. Our box was working for months then one day the aerial channels disappeared. Couldn't get a signal at all, indoor aerial. I wasnt too pushed as i still had the satellite side. Then one day the aerial channels returned.

Last week i lost both. No signal on either side. Got by on netflix for a few days then tried to retune both sides. Got no satellite option at all but got about half the aerial channels with very good picture. Im thinking it has to be the box. Is there any fix if you've had this issue

There have been Saorview changes recently. so you may need to retune.

Good weather now may allow you to pickup a signal from further away or the box may have retuned. My old Freesat boxes autmatically checks for for channel changes at 3am.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Shomar Limited

I take you are proporting to post here in an official capacity. You need to contact the Admins to set up a Verified Rep account. I cannot help you with this, you need to approach Boards.ie. You are permanently banned, I have no discretion in this, the Admins will be able to let you post once your Verified Rep account is set up

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

Are there two different versions of the RTE Player does anybody know?
    When I look at the player on Saorview Connect I see that the whole series of Normal People is available but when I look at the RTE player on my Sky HD system I have a lot less episodes available. Somewhat puzzling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

peking97 wrote: »
    Are there two different versions of the RTE Player does anybody know?
    When I look at the player on Saorview Connect I see that the whole series of Normal People is available but when I look at the RTE player on my Sky HD system I have a lot less episodes available. Somewhat puzzling!

The RTE Player on Sky is a cut down version as is the All4 player.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

galtee boy wrote: »
    The RTE Player on Sky is a cut down version as is the All4 player.

And is that a Sky decision or RTE's do you know?

These would be copyright and licencing issues I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

As said already, probably copyright. Though on the mobile phone app version of All4, you get the full version in ROI, example being CH4 news bulletin, which are not on Sky. Another anomaly is HD and Samsung tvs.I recently bought a new Samsung TV, which has the All4 player , full version, but it only plays everything in SD, whereas on Sky, on the cut down version, everything is in HD. I wonder have Sky the HD rights for All4 in ROI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tubbs26

Hi, I have a sky q box with a basic sub subscription. As much as I like the gui, I’m not using it enough to to warrant the cost.

I got a nowtv dongle for my kitchen tv (no sky on this tv just saorview) it’s satisfies all of my catch up tv, Netflix and youtube needs. It also allows me watch sky content if I want to pay for it.

Therefore for my sitting room tv I want to get a combi box that allows me,
    1- view saorview and uk free to air channels on one box
    2- pause, rewind and record the above channels

1) Would the saorview connect box do this? It’s getting a pasting here, is there a better alternative?

2) would someone recommend an installer? I need to get the saorview aerial into my sitting room? I wouldn’t be comfortable to do it my self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Have the Saorview Connect box for the last few weeks now. Occasionally the box fails to receive remote control instructions meaning that I have to pull out the power cord. Tonight, when playing back a recording it restarted six times in fifteen minutes. I have a 500gb SDD external drive connected for recordings. After investing almost €300 for box, SDD and aerial this is less than satisfactory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭kooga

Danno wrote: »
    Have the Saorview Connect box for the last few weeks now. Occasionally the box fails to receive remote control instructions meaning that I have to pull out the power cord. Tonight, when playing back a recording it restarted six times in fifteen minutes. I have a 500gb SDD external drive connected for recordings. After investing almost €300 for box, SDD and aerial this is less than satisfactory.
    Disaster

kooga wrote: »
    Disaster

Seems the rebooting happens when only playing back recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Seems the rebooting happens when only playing back recordings.

Does the SSD have its own power source?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Does the SSD have its own power source?

It doesn't. With no moving parts I'd thought this would be the best option.

There was no problem with it for the last few weeks of recording, so why now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It doesn't. With no moving parts I'd thought this would be the best option.

There was no problem with it for the last few weeks of recording, so why now?

I just remember reading somewhere that an independently powered hard-drive will be less prone to skipping

AngryLips wrote: »
    I just remember reading somewhere that an independently powered hard-drive will be less prone to skipping

I would expect that from a standard HDD with spinning plates, but with a SSD there is no major power drain on the USB port.

It was fine for a few weeks, but now is acting up - so it's a strange one to say the least.

Got on to Saorview. The Connect box doesn't support SSD.

What a pile of dung.

Just buy a hdd. Use the SSD for another device!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Keep the SSD and ditch the Connect box!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JDxtra wrote: »
    Keep the SSD and ditch the Connect box!
    Off topic but ...

The trend with SSD's is to stuff more bits per cell.

So a 750GB drive may really be a 250GB drive with three bits squashed into each cell.

So the voltage tolerances are 8 times narrower. And in reality that can translate to 10 times less write cycles per cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

What would be an ideal ssd to avoid any such issues?

monkeycork wrote: »
    What would be an ideal ssd to avoid any such issues?

I'm using a 512gb SSD.

The helpline advice was to disconnect the SDD and factory reset the connect box.

Interestingly, I reset the box and reconnected the SSD and it's working fine since.

It's unusual that a SSD can cause such issues. Even a crappy OS like Windows can run without issue on SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is there a Saorview Plus recorder still on the market? The only thing I see are Connect units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Is there a Saorview Plus recorder still on the market? The only thing I see are Connect units.

Unless there's been a seismic shift in product offering recently the Connect box is it!
    You can record on it with an external hard drive.

I'm sure it's been said a thousand times here - this was so simple
    1. A good quality box with internal HD. Whats been delivered has no internal HD and it's built by PowerPoint.
    2. Make the interface between satellite and Saorview seamless. It's clunky as hell.

Advertisement