Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

AngryLips wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the official freesat box works in Ireland? This one
    As a satellite receiver it should work fine however some on demand apps may be geolocked.

And as for getting apps and catch-up services working this receiver does not allow access to TCP/IP settings so you can not change DNS.
    Workaround would be to set DNS on your route but if you are on Virgin media they too dont allow dns change so you are looking into setting VM router to router mode and adding 3rd party router to manage your LAN.... :D dont go there if this sound complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mercedeslimos

Are there any viable alternatives to the Connect box? Installed a dish recently and straight into the TV, but no record function on the satellite (thanks Sharp, copyright junk).

Have 500GB HDD already so all fine there.

Seen Amiko ones in Irwins for 70 bucks that seem like they do it from the (admittedly poor) description.

Anyone any input?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are there any viable alternatives to the Connect box? Installed a dish recently and straight into the TV, but no record function on the satellite (thanks Sharp, copyright junk).

Have 500GB HDD already so all fine there.

Seen Amiko ones in Irwins for 70 bucks that seem like they do it from the (admittedly poor) description.

Anyone any input?

An enigma2 box with a bit of setup will do saorview + free to air satellite with full 7 day epg/recording/etc. Zgemma H7S is the current go to. There's a thread ongoing atm of someone who just got one: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058153302/2/#post116159797

dulpit wrote: »
    An enigma2 box with a bit of setup will do saorview + free to air satellite with full 7 day epg/recording/etc. Zgemma H7S is the current go to. There's a thread ongoing atm of someone who just got one: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058153302/2/#post116159797

Perfect cheers!

Zgemma H7S ordered there last night from Satworld who I got the dish and the rest off. Easy setup? Hopefully arrive Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi folks.
    I came on here looking for a bit of advice about Saorview but you've all scared me off it !!
    I have Sky at the moment and was thinking of replacing it with Saorview Connect. What do you think.... is it a good idea or am I better off just sticking with Sky? I was hoping to cut down on my monthly subscription.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Enigma 2 box like a Zgemma 7Hs will give you the non encrypted sat channels via 2 sat tuners and a saorview tuner and can take internal hdd.There is another thread on Zgemma h7s on the forum.

If you have sky Q lnb might need to be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

By all accounts Freesats latest offerings are nothing to write home about either.

Freesat boxes seem overpriced x2 and crippled software (either can't use DISEQ, or crippled, or even manual recording only works with channels on the Freesat EPG). The only thing they offer is the MHEG5 button services. Actual button service video can be manually tuned.

Compare Redline with Manhattan or Humax.

Zgemma H7S arrived this afternoon. Setting it up as we speak, anyone able to give a hand with setting up the Saorview and satellite stuff all in one? The interface is very alien to me and I've never done this before.

Got an HDD sorted (in a case over USB currently, it's too big to go through the aperture on the casing:confused:

Connected the LAN by moving my TP-Link repeater next to it and used the ethernet port. We'll get there, I'm used to fixing cars, and somehow I've managed to buy and install a sat dish and now this, a result for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Zgemma H7S arrived this afternoon. Setting it up as we speak, anyone able to give a hand with setting up the Saorview and satellite stuff all in one? The interface is very alien to me and I've never done this before.

Got an HDD sorted (in a case over USB currently, it's too big to go through the aperture on the casing:confused:

Connected the LAN by moving my TP-Link repeater next to it and used the ethernet port. We'll get there, I'm used to fixing cars, and somehow I've managed to buy and install a sat dish and now this, a result for me :D

Have a look here

Good man. All a bit confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I have had a root through this thread and a few other places. I have a non tech neighbor who has a PowerPoint DXD7025SVC and they are getting miffed that is keeps powering off. I obviously cannot drop in to take a look so any ideas on this?

Could be many things including a failing power supply, do you have another to try?

https://www.freetv.ie/powerpoint-dxd7025svc-power-supply/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

greasepalm wrote: »
    Could be many things including a failing power supply, do you have another to try?

https://www.freetv.ie/powerpoint-dxd7025svc-power-supply/

That is worth a try. I suspected maybe the signal is not strong enough and therefore box is doing an auto power off

Dont think a bad signal would power off a box .Should only come up with an error like no signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question!

My parents currently have just the Irish channels via Saorview. I was looking at the option of getting the UK channels for them on FreeSat but that doesn't include the Irish channels AFAIK.

is it possible to get a (non-subscription) service which will have the FreeSat UK channels and the Irish channels? Ideally a single box to keep it as simple as possible. From what I can see, a Saorview Connect box with a satellite dish might be the best option?

They don't have great broadband currently so something that's not reliant on a broadband connection would be preferable

Thanks

Hell no , get a better box like a zgemma h7s which has 2 sat tuners and a saorview tuner which will allow recordings on an internal hdd.
    I suggest reading back these threads to see how bad the connect is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hell no , get a better box like a zgemma h7s which has 2 sat tuners and a saorview tuner which will allow recordings on an internal hdd.
    I suggest reading back these threads to see how bad the connect is.

Fair enough, I'm happy to take your word about the saorview connect :)

So you'd recommend this:

https://www.satworld.ie/zgemma-h7s-4k-uhd-500gb-hdd.html

Is that all I'd need or so I need a dish as well?

To use any sat receiver you will need a dish lnb and feeds as in cables.
    Are you thinking of adding another box into another room later then a quad lnb is needed as 2 feeds per room.

If you wanted saorview outside aerial could be added also at same time if needed.

Zgemma would need to be updated to a better image like a browser on pc needing a 8gb usb to flash box.

Other place is here and they can flash box and add in hdd if wanting to record

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/air-digital-zgemma/zgemma-h7s

Brexit has made things dearer with the added taxes for import.

We got the zgemma from satworld and ut's grand. Just plugged a spare USB HDD into the back, and have Freesat and Saorview happy out. EPG is a bit clunky but can't be bothered changing it at the moment as it all works.

We got the zgemma from satworld and ut's grand. Just plugged a spare USB HDD into the back, and have Freesat and Saorview happy out. EPG is a bit clunky but can't be bothered changing it at the moment as it all works.

I do hope you have setup that usb for use and not assumed its grand.

What image did they use on box to let others know cheers.

• Advertisement

I do hope you have setup that usb for use and not assumed its grand.

What image did they use on box to let others know cheers.

I had to format the drive (came out of an old laptop) with a cheap SATA USB case from eBay.
    Had to set up the drive on the zgemma before ut could all work. Got crossepg working and the autobouquetsmaker so have the option between Saorview and Freesat UK.

The one already installed by satworld.ie was openATV, stuck with it for now as wasn't 100% on how to install something else and didn't want to brick the box. The only reason the HDD is installed outside the box, for now, is that it doesn't fit in the slot, assume an SSD (will buy one when I get a few spare quid) is smaller in size and fits in the slot. Just plugged the HDD into 2 of the 3 USBs on the bck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but if the HDD came out of a laptop, it almost certainly will fit inside the box. Just fyi.

SATA SSD's have the same dimensions as 2.5" mechanical drives. I have a 1tb mechanical drive in my H7S.

The h7s is on another thread and seems are different ones out there with hdd slots in rear but mine is inside the box when fitted.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Sorry, slightly off-topic, but if the HDD came out of a laptop, it almost certainly will fit inside the box. Just fyi.

SATA SSD's have the same dimensions as 2.5" mechanical drives. I have a 1tb mechanical drive in my H7S.
    The h7s is on another thread and seems are different ones out there with hdd slots in rear but mine is inside the box when fitted.

This is just a spare 120GB I had kicking around, didn't dare take the cover off a brand new box. When I get an SSD I'll probably install it inside but wanted to make sure all was working when I first installed it. Shockingly, the dish alignment was absolutely spot on, I'd sat it on a box in the field and got everything lined up and the LNB tilt done, etc, so when it went onto the wall it worked as soon as plugged in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Sorry if this has been asked before, but hard to find in 220 pages of comments. I have a relatively new Smart TV and am looking to access Saorview. Is the only way to do it is to buy a box and aerial?

I think my home is wired for UPC from back in the day - can that be used to receive a signal instead of getting an aerial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

VonLuck wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but hard to find in 220 pages of comments. I have a relatively new Smart TV and am looking to access Saorview. Is the only way to do it is to buy a box and aerial?

I think my home is wired for UPC from back in the day - can that be used to receive a signal instead of getting an aerial?

Relatively new smart tv would suggest that for Saorview all you need is an aerial and tune in to nearest transmitter.

Home wired for UPC...needs a subscription to get anything.

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Relatively new smart tv would suggest that for Saorview all you need is an aerial and tune in to nearest transmitter.

Home wired for UPC...needs a subscription to get anything.

Was hoping I could avoid an aerial and somehow use the UPC line to pick up the signal. Oh well.

How far are you from a transmitter as an indoor one might work , they say dont go for a powered one.

How far are you from a transmitter as an indoor one might work , they say dont go for a powered one.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are you referring to? Not familiar with AV terminology. Tried using Google images but don't recognise any of the results. Is that the UPC box I mentioned? If so, it's a couple feet from the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

VonLuck wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are you referring to? Not familiar with AV terminology. Tried using Google images but don't recognise any of the results. Is that the UPC box I mentioned? If so, it's a couple feet from the TV.

Put your address into this site to find where your recommended Saorview transmitter is located. If you are relatively near it might be possible for you to use a basic indoor aerial.

Advertisement