Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

CH4 is SD on Sky?

Yes. They have a separate SD version that shows Irish advertising. There's only one HD version on satellite and it carries UK advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes. They have a separate SD version that shows Irish advertising. There's only one HD version on satellite and it carries UK advertising.

Wow!

I had not known that they only allowed Irish subscribers access to the SD version.

Is there the facility of adding the HD version as 'other channel' or such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Wow!

I had not known that they only allowed Irish subscribers access to the SD version.

Is there the facility of adding the HD version as 'other channel' or such?

You can add it in other channels, at least on the older HD boxes I have not used Sky Q, but in other channels you can't pause or record.

You can add it in other channels, at least on the older HD boxes I have not used Sky Q, but in other channels you can't pause or record.

Thanks, I was not aware the Sky system was so crippled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

And to think you paid a €150 premium for the privilege....

There are no ads on the connect rte player.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

I noticed that on someone's sky box before. The player doesn't stream. Why is that? It seems a bit behind the times for Sky.

I tried to chromecast TG4's live sports feed this afternoon, thinking it might be in HD but it was terribly grainy. Can tg4 stream in HD I wonder.

The Irish tv stations are way behind the curve in terms of players and their fumctionality. It is crazy that rte still don't have chromecast on its player. They are really failing their brief.

Tigerandahalf there’s chromecase ability in the iOS RTÉ Player app

patsryan wrote: »
    Tigerandahalf there’s chromecase ability in the iOS RTÉ Player app

Not on android. I would say 3/4 of the people out there are on android. It was the same craic for the tg4 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Thanks, I was not aware the Sky system was so crippled.

Freesat is crippled now as well, in relation to CH4, since HD version was removed from the EPG. CH4 won't allow HD version on Sky Ireland because they want ROI viewers to watch Irish adverts and they have no notion of paying for an Irish HD version on Sky.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Freesat is crippled now as well, in relation to CH4, since HD version was removed from the EPG. CH4 won't allow HD version on Sky Ireland because they want ROI viewers to watch Irish adverts and they have no notion of paying for an Irish HD version on Sky.

Freesat really need to kiss and make up C4.

Maybe ye should all go FTA instead :)

I have a hearty dislike of buying things that are so closed down that I (the owner allegedly) cannot make changes to how it operates.

So Sky sub is out, as I cannot use the Sky card in a more suitable (for me) receiver.
    Freesat seems to be going, or gone, a similar road (IIUC). If you cannot have full functionality outside what they decide you should have then it is certainly limited.

I don't own one, but the Linux boxes such as Tiviar seem to be the more 'unlimited' STBs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Introducing the award winning Saorview Connect...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/IBCShow/status/1041371902340677632
    Must have been a one horse race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Introducing the award winning Saorview Connect...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/IBCShow/status/1041371902340677632
    Must have been a one horse race

Innovation Award for Content Everywhere................. just not on a connected hard drive or usb key. :pac::pac::pac:

So let me ask you all a question for the purpose of starting a conversation (apologies for probably dragging up questions already mentioned earlier in this form).

Technically (and hypothetically) speaking, could the Now / Next info from the DVB-S signal be preloaded into memory for all transponders when the Guide button is pressed / Mini Guide is brought up on screen?

Would there be much of a delay?

Would it be easier and faster to have the manufacturer download the info and store it in memory?

Just to Note I’m not on about 7 day info here (either from Freesat or the Net) just the Now/Next info that’s already saved into memory if you go through all channel transponders

This is all speculation of course as I know the likelihood of anything major being done on the Sat side of things is 0%, however one likes to dream and imagine how it would be a game changer for the Saorview Connect box to get such a small addition to the box (I.E ability to press the Guide and see info).

Now in more dreaming if Virgin Media Player, Netflix, YouTube and Rakuten.TV were put on the box also then IMO it would be a game changer device

Pat

What I have is the Connect box running alongside a humax 1100s freesat box. 7 day epg on both, acess to the players, Netflix, youtube, etc. The saorview remote controls both boxes, switches both on and off at the same time. It is a not a perfect system but fine for my needs.

In truth I find it much easier to use apps like youtube and netflix off my tv and use my phone to search on the app and then cast to the tv. Perhaps the fancier remotes with voice control are an option but a loud house won't work with that.

I have used a sky box and I find the freesat far superior. It is a lovely box to use and very easy to scroll through the guide.

The satellite side of the Connect box will never provide what you are looking for. I bought my box in November last year and to think there still isn't recording enabled is pretty shocking. I hear they are still testing but it doesn't look good.

Saying that I am using saorview less and less and the need to record just isn't there for me except the very rare programme.

The catchup is an option though not all programmes are on it. There was a great documentary on Paul Gascoigne recently but unfortunately it wasn't on the player.

Freesat are meant to have a new box out in late 18/early 19 so that could be an option too.

Pat

What I have is the Connect box running alongside a humax 1100s freesat box. 7 day epg on both, acess to the players, Netflix, youtube, etc. The saorview remote controls both boxes, switches both on and off at the same time. It is a not a perfect system but fine for my needs.

In truth I find it much easier to use apps like youtube and netflix off my tv and use my phone to search on the app and then cast to the tv. Perhaps the fancier remotes with voice control are an option but a loud house won't work with that.

I have used a sky box and I find the freesat far superior. It is a lovely box to use and very easy to scroll through the guide.

The satellite side of the Connect box will never provide what you are looking for. I bought my box in November last year and to think there still isn't recording enabled is pretty shocking. I hear they are still testing but it doesn't look good.

Saying that I am using saorview less and less and the need to record just isn't there for me except the very rare programme.

The catchup is an option though not all programmes are on it. There was a great documentary on Paul Gascoigne recently but unfortunately it wasn't on the player.

Freesat are meant to have a new box out in late 18/early 19 so that could be an option too.

I am aware of Freesat lauching their Gen 3 service with a box from Arris in 2019 with UHD support and having mutliple boxs is fine and all for someone like you or me but I am trying to find a 'nice' simple to use 'all-in-one' solution for my parents who won't use multiple boxs and fall into the category of 'paying for Sky' but only watch RTÉ - which wrecks my head :rolleyes:.

Since I posted my hypotectial scenario above, I asked PowerPoint on Facebook what the likelihood of preloading Guide information was (Now/Next) and they informed me that with the upcoming recording fuctionality update that the guide will be preloaded and the 2 SAT inputs utilized, so at least something appears in that otherwise useless guide!
    Hi Pat . We are working to improve this. We will enable the recording feature shortly and with that both Sat 1 & 2 will be used. Developers advise this will resolve the missing data issue.
    I’ve also shared your post with the developers as all feed back is good as we improve and grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭corm500

For somebody who is not the most technically minded person, can someone explain why there would be such a hold up with recording functionality? Saorview Connect used Freesat to design the interface and for the upkeep. Freesat has full recording ability on their boxes. Why would Connect be any different?

corm500 wrote: »
    For somebody who is not the most technically minded person, can someone explain why there would be such a hold up with recording functionality? Saorview Connect used Freesat to design the interface and for the upkeep. Freesat has full recording ability on their boxes. Why would Connect be any different?

Could be a thousand reasons - I am presuming there are difficulties around Hardware integration or some secret background negotiations going on

The hardware is different. The saorview box also claims to have relatively new to market dual tuners that can work with satellite or terrestrial. Wait and see at this stage.

No matter what they do, not having a 7 day epg guide to allow for series linking etc on the satellite section kills the box as a main living room box, especially if you don't have access to uk players.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

corm500 wrote: »
    I can't explain.

Freesat provide the software behind the box. They've had boxes capable of doing two series link recordings, while watching another recording at the same time for the last ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

patsryan wrote:
    Since I posted my hypotectial scenario above, I asked PowerPoint on Facebook what the likelihood of preloading Guide information was (Now/Next) and they informed me that with the upcoming recording fuctionality update that the guide will be preloaded and the 2 SAT inputs utilized, so at least something appears in that otherwise useless guide!

Sweet. Patience is the key. As the saorview connect ad says 'The future of free TV has landed!'

patsryan wrote:

Sweet. Patience is the key. As the saorview connect ad says 'The future of free TV has landed!'

patsryan wrote:

Keri Billen mentioned here last September that they had a beta version of the recording software for release in January 18 and looking at this video on the Metaphor YouTube page the software appeared to be ready in August, so what’s delaying it?

That video is like the recording - non existent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

lsjmhar wrote: »
    That video is like the recording - non existent!!

Is this it?

https://youtu.be/3uT6vCLMPK4

Somebody needs to give that lad from RTE (Richard Waghorn) a bit of genuine feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

They delivered the Cellnex product in 12 weeks. Saorview will take 12 years at this rate.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Is this it?

https://youtu.be/3uT6vCLMPK4

Somebody needs to give that lad from RTE (Richard Waghorn) a bit of genuine feedback!

At exactly 1 minute in?

Yep that’s it - unless there’s a surprise in store like Netflix, YouTube, Virgin Media Player, Eir Sport, UK 7 day EPG or any of the other things this box SHOULD have

They delivered the Cellnex product in 12 weeks. Saorview will take 12 years at this rate.
    I'd say most if they delays are on the RTE side or due to bad choices they've made.

I'd say most if they delays are on the RTE side or due to bad choices they've made.

Was the LOVEStv project a full implementation of the Metaphor project though or was it just a UI implementation like tivusat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Montrose seem to love reinventing the wheel

• Advertisement

Was in Currys/PC World today - they had a few lonely looking Saorview connect boxes on a shelf (priced at €159). On the box itself was a promo saying "COMING SOON RECORD TO EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE (SOFTWARE UPGRADE MID-2018)".

Lies!

Has anyone received the beta version of the box with recording enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keribillen

Was in Currys/PC World today - they had a few lonely looking Saorview connect boxes on a shelf (priced at €159). On the box itself was a promo saying "COMING SOON RECORD TO EXTERNAL USB HARD DRIVE (SOFTWARE UPGRADE MID-2018)".

Lies!
    Hi,
    I can understand your frustration but 'Lies' is not the correct word. They were said in truth. However, some non-technical matters (which I am not going to elaborate on....this is not the place) got in the way. A few of us, me especially even if I do say so myself, worked damned hard to fix these matters, and the tech work got going again a few months ago.
    To answer other questions, yes the beta recording software does exist and is being tested internally and will be shipped to the various partners involved for wider testing in coming days.
    I don't get notified by this forum if someone writes to me or replies to my messages, and I don't log in here routinely so if you want to speak to me and I am not answering your questions then feel free to email me at keri.billen@ekt-digital.com. Best regards, Keri
    All the best,
    Keri

Lies!
    Hi,
    I can understand your frustration but 'Lies' is not the correct word. They were said in truth. However, some non-technical matters (which I am not going to elaborate on....this is not the place) got in the way. A few of us, me especially even if I do say so myself, worked damned hard to fix these matters, and the tech work got going again a few months ago.
    To answer other questions, yes the beta recording software does exist and is being tested internally and will be shipped to the various partners involved for wider testing in coming days.
    I don't get notified by this forum if someone writes to me or replies to my messages, and I don't log in here routinely so if you want to speak to me and I am not answering your questions then feel free to email me at keri.billen@ekt-digital.com. Best regards, Keri
    All the best,
    Keri

Has anyone received the beta version of the box with recording enabled?
    See my earlier note a few seconds ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Why is this not the place to elaborate on the reasons for the delay ?

keribillen wrote: »
    Hi,
    However, some non-technical matters (which I am not going to elaborate on....this is not the place) got in the way.
    Keri

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

So when can we hope to have the recording feature released? Is there a firm date in place given that technical issues were not a problem.

Thanks

So when can we hope to have the recording feature released? Is there a firm date in place given that technical issues were not a problem.

Thanks

"Soon". :rolleyes:

Hi,
    All the best,
    Keri

I'm sure the engineering team aren't to blame here - but reality is this feature is long over due, and promised dates have come and gone.

Retailers are still stocking the product with out of date messages about a key feature. It is false advertising (so, a lie - right?).

You didn't write it, and it's out of your control - but the message is still there on the product packaging sitting on retailer shelves right now.

https://imgur.com/a/UVEabSa

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IMHO it's pretty clear about advertising the recording feature.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    Consumer Protection Act 2007. Under the act it is an offence for any retailer or professional to make a false or misleading claim about goods, services and prices. It is also an offence to sell goods which bear a false or misleading description.

Claims about the weight, ingredients and performance of goods must be stated truthfully. Also claims made about how items operate and where they were made must be true.

Claims about the time, place or manner in which a service is provided and claims about the effect of a service and the service providers must also be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Refund territory me thinks.

It is misleading. The advertising on facebook would lead you to believe the box is good to go.
    Recording is crucial but I feel people will be really disappointed to find out that the recording on satellite is not done through the epg.

E.g. So you want to record a rugby match on channel 4 in 3 days time. Normally you would scroll to it in the guide using the 24hr+ button, select it, and choose record once (or a series).

With this box you will first need a tv listings guide to know what time the programme is on and then go and manually put in the time. Hopefully the name of the actual recording will show up on the recordings list. I wonder will one be able to do remote recordings with the phone app as the methaphor software is limited to the saorview channels only.

The box might have had hope if players like Virgin, eir sports and others could be added but they may be more than happy to stick with chromecast.

As for the saorview channels they are blessed to have the priority epg slots on sky, virgin, eir, etc as if they were pushed down the epg it would be a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Saorview is still the dominant platform in the country but that pattern will decline as the older population pushes through. A lot of younger people seem to be using youtube, netflix and others and unless these are integrated onto the saorview platform the casual watcher of saorview channels just won't browse or watch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It is misleading. The advertising on facebook would lead you to believe the box is good to go.
    Recording is crucial but I feel people will be really disappointed to find out that the recording on satellite is not done through the epg.

E.g. So you want to record a rugby match on channel 4 in 3 days time. Normally you would scroll to it in the guide using the 24hr+ button, select it, and choose record once (or a series).

With this box you will first need a tv listings guide to know what time the programme is on and then go and manually put in the time. Hopefully the name of the actual recording will show up on the recordings list. I wonder will one be able to do remote recordings with the phone app as the methaphor software is limited to the saorview channels only.

Holy sh1t that is retarded

Tony wrote: »
    Why is this not the place to elaborate on the reasons for the delay ?

Hi,
    However, some non-technical matters (which I am not going to elaborate on....this is not the place) got in the way.
    Keri
    This is a forum of people with strong ideas for how the box 'should' be, and many were disgruntled about the Saorview Connect platform before the current project between EKT, Shomar, Freesat and RTE even started. Explaining how the various partners work (very friendly and co-operatively, by the way), and what has happened since the project started will be no consolation to those who are disgruntled about anything. I'm very happy to have a constructive discussion with anyone via email (see my earlier post with my email address) and have already started doing so. About the 7-day EPG over DVB-S I realise many are unhappy about its absence but again this is fundamentally a commercial matter. The satellite transmissions support Now/Next only as I am sure you all know (happy to be corrected on this or any point). I'm looking into ways to get such a guide on the box but no promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm looking into ways to get such a guide on the box but no promises.

Well that certainly is just what is needed! So fingers crossed it bears fruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for your comment but I think in the interests of openness and transparency Saorview should have explained the reason for the delays, especially since shops are still carrying the message about recording becoming available. I would not class myself as disgruntled but I do believe in being open and honest , things do go wrong of course as with any commercial enterprise.

This is a forum of people with strong ideas for how the box 'should' be, and many were disgruntled about the Saorview Connect platform before the current project between EKT, Shomar, Freesat and RTE even started. Explaining how the various partners work (very friendly and co-operatively, by the way), and what has happened since the project started will be no consolation to those who are disgruntled about anything. I'm very happy to have a constructive discussion with anyone via email (see my earlier post with my email address) and have already started doing so. About the 7-day EPG over DVB-S I realise many are unhappy about its absence but again this is fundamentally a commercial matter. The satellite transmissions support Now/Next only as I am sure you all know (happy to be corrected on this or any point). I'm looking into ways to get such a guide on the box but no promises.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Can't the satellite epg be download via the web to give us a 7 day epg or is there some licensing issue to do that. Had a box running enigma 😉 that done some thing like that.

Saorview Connect recording to be made available by November 5th or earlier.

Can't the satellite epg be download via the web to give us a 7 day epg or is there some licensing issue to do that. Had a box running enigma 😉 that done some thing like that.

That would cause a big issue for virgin, sky and others who are paying the bbc and itv to carry their channels in Ireland. So there is no way freesat (bbc and itv) will allow the freesat system to be used for the satellite channels. Rte don't really care either as long as their channels are no.1 on the epg slots of sky, virgin, etc.

The data 'could' be downloaded, as others have said on here the epg data belongs to each station. But just because it is out there to download by random users, doesn't mean it can be used on a commercial basis.

At the same time catch up/on demand tv is where the growth is and once people have decent unlimited broadband, recording will become less and less important.

This is one of the reasons why you see Virgin having a standoff with UKTV over getting a greater slice of catch up tv.

In time there will be a big push for the bbc to make their iplayer content available to virgin, sky and others in Ireland.

• Advertisement

That would cause a big issue for virgin, sky and others who are paying the bbc and itv to carry their channels in Ireland. So there is no way freesat (bbc and itv) will allow the freesat system to be used for the satellite channels. Rte don't really care either as long as their channels are no.1 on the epg slots of sky, virgin, etc.

The data 'could' be downloaded, as others have said on here the epg data belongs to each station. But just because it is out there to download by random users, doesn't mean it can be used on a commercial basis.

At the same time catch up/on demand tv is where the growth is and once people have decent unlimited broadband, recording will become less and less important.

This is one of the reasons why you see Virgin having a standoff with UKTV over getting a greater slice of catch up tv.

In time there will be a big push for the bbc to make their iplayer content available to virgin, sky and others in Ireland.

... and the way around that 'uncertainty' is to have someone make a plugin for the box which will do exactly that.
    It's not as if it has not been done before for other commercial boxes. ;)

Advertisement