Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Recording will be possible on both Saorview channels

The above would seem to indicate that the 2 tuners are satellite or terrestrial capable.

Does it ?

It says "Recording will be possible on both Saorview channels and if you access them, the free to air satellite channels (if you have connected your box to a satellite dish)"

That could be a number of things. 2 Saorview and 1 Sat most likely which would rule out recording on Sat and watching another on Sat unless on the same transponder.

Surely they have more than a month of beta testing done at this stage ? With 20 odd days to a firmware release I'd hope so. Tony spill.
    Ten Pin wrote: »
    RTE have invented a time travel machine
    Sure no wonder this box was picking up awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The box would need 2 Sat inputs for watching one while recording another Sat channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭fman

Ten Pin wrote: »
    RTE have invented a time travel machine
    Only way they would be able to deliver most of the promises on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The box would need 2 Sat inputs for watching one while recording another Sat channel

It does have 2 satellite inputs.
    Didn't kerri billen say the 2nd sat input would be available with the update.

3 inputs, so you reckon that the dvb-t tuner module is a dual dvb-t tuner. Yes that is possible. Of course the recording will be the proof as I havent seen the box with the lid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So it should be possible to record four different channels at the same time ...... 2 sat and 2 terrestrial.

It might even be possible to watch a fifth channel on screen ......

YOU should have been on the beta test.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

STB. wrote: »
    YOU should have been on the beta test.

I applied for the beta test but never heard anything back either

So it should be possible to record four different channels at the same time ...... 2 sat and 2 terrestrial.

It might even be possible to watch a fifth channel on screen ......

Possible that channels on the same mux could be recorded at the same time, as virgin 1, rte 2 and tg4 are on the same mux (If I have that right, I know rte 1 and 2 are on different muxes).

For satellite as you say it could be possible to record 2 satellite channels if they are being tuned from the same transponder and watch another sat channel on the other tuner.

Wait and see really.

I have only 1 sat cable in my sitting room so maybe I am not the best candidate to test the box. They might find it hard to get people with 2 sat feeds.

• Advertisement

Possible that channels on the same mux could be recorded at the same time, as virgin 1, rte 2 and tg4 are on the same mux (If I have that right, I know rte 1 and 2 are on different muxes).

For satellite as you say it could be possible to record 2 satellite channels if they are being tuned from the same transponder and watch another sat channel on the other tuner.

Wait and see really.

I have only 1 sat cable in my sitting room so maybe I am not the best candidate to test the box. They might find it hard to get people with 2 sat feeds.

I am now a little confused, sorry.

Are there two double tuners in this box .... dual DVB-T and dual DVB-S?

If so then both DVB-T muxes can be accessible at the one time, as well as two DVB-S transponders with maybe 20 channels.

I am now a little confused, sorry.

Are there two double tuners in this box .... dual DVB-T and dual DVB-S?

If so then both DVB-T muxes can be accessible at the one time, as well as two DVB-S transponders with maybe 20 channels.

The manufacturers state that the box has dual (normally means 2 separate) multi-format tuners that support dvb-s2 and dvb-t2.
    We have been led to believe that software in the box can allow each tuner to either tune a terrestrial or a satellite channel.

How many channels can be recorded at the one time we don't know yet. But it should be possible to watch rte1 while recording rte 2. Similarly it should be possible to watch a satellite channel on one transponder while recording one on another (2 sat feeds needed).

That is what we have been drip fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

This is great news. Another step in the right direction. Once this is implemented and stabilised the team can work on new on demand apps.

The manufacturers state that the box has dual (normally means 2 separate) multi-format tuners that support dvb-s2 and dvb-t2.

We have been led to believe that software in the box can allow each tuner to either tune a terrestrial or a satellite channel.

The confusion only arose as they used descriptions of tuners that do not exist.

There are 3 tuner modules on this box. One DVB-T and Two DVB-S2. There are no hybrid tuner modules that do satellite and terrestrial as one tuner module.

It just happens that the single DVB-T tuner module is a Dual tuner. Why they couldn't describe it that way in the first instance I do not know.

The confusion only arose as they used descriptions of tuners that do not exist.

There are 3 tuner modules on this box. One DVB-T and Two DVB-S2. There are no hybrid tuner modules that do satellite and terrestrial as one tuner module.

It just happens that the single DVB-T tuner module is a Dual tuner. Why they couldn't describe it that way in the first instance I do not know.

Did you get confirmation of that from a reliable source?

Why the talk then of software changing the tuner function?

hehehehehehehehe

I remain confused over the tuner capabilities of this box

:D:D

I guess I will have to wait and see what this software upgrade allows the box to do, to get some idea of it.

• Advertisement

https://www.ekt-digital.com/stb-devices/dxd7025

As we shared before the above link is the box that saorview have used for their Connect platform.

It clearly states that the box has dual multi format tuners that can tune t/t2/s/s2/c/c2.

Now we have been over this before so let us hope we can leave it until the recording is enabled, as this has already been debated over and back.

Unless stb has a reliable source.

The above linked box has the exact same 3 inputs (2 satellite, 1 terrestrial) as the Connect box.

https://www.ekt-digital.com/stb-devices/dxd7025

As we shared before the above link is the box that saorview have used for their Connect platform.

It clearly states that the box has dual multi format tuners that can tune t/t2/s/s2/c/c2.

Now we have been over this before so let us hope we can leave it until the recording is enabled, as this has already been debated over and back.

Unless stb has a reliable source.

The above linked box has the exact same 3 inputs (2 satellite, 1 terrestrial) as the Connect box.

So that brings it back to two tuners in total, which can be any combination of DVB-T and/or DVB-S.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So that brings it back to two tuners in total, which can be any combination of DVB-T and/or DVB-S.

The box has two identical tuners, controlled by software. If recording is not enabled, then neither is the second tuner.

Each tuner can be DVB-T2 or DVB-S2, and is set by software. It follows, that the first tuner is used for viewing or recording, while the second is used for recording.

I pointed this out quite some time ago.

Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 
    The box has two identical tuners, controlled by software. If recording is not enabled, then neither is the second tuner.

Each tuner can be DVB-T2 or DVB-S2, and is set by software. It follows, that the first tuner is used for viewing or recording, while the second is used for recording.

Yes I was aware of that previous post, which is why I used back ;) and was referring to the information contained here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108362528&postcount=2164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭corm500

Anyone know if there will be a limit on the size of hardrive used? For example would a 2tb WD passport be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It is now possible to get cheap SDR (software defined radio) tuners for under €20 which cover 25 to 1,500Mhz. Receiving FM, AM, CW, DVB etc is all down to the software after the tuner. I imagine it wouldn't take much to make something similar to receive DVB-T or DVB-S as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Does this mean that retailers will start selling this with a bundled harddrive?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Does this mean that retailers will start selling this with a bundled harddrive?

Unlikely will be bundled as the hard drive is external, but retailers may suggest the user to buy an external HDD.

patsryan wrote: »
    Unlikely will be bundled as the hard drive is external, but retailers may suggest the user to buy an external HDD.

No doubt at equally inflated prices :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Gerry retailers have little or no control over the wholesale price since there is only one supplier of connect boxes . Hard drives can be obtained by anyone at competitive prices so there's really no reason why these should be inflated pricewise.

No doubt at equally inflated prices :(

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Tony wrote: »
    Gerry retailers have little or no control over the wholesale price since there is only one supplier of connect boxes . Hard drives can be obtained by anyone at competitive prices so there's really no reason why these should be inflated pricewise.

Just like HDMI cables, you know, the digital ones that are gold plated. A snip at €99.

The box has three tuner modules (NIMMs).

One is a dual dvb-t/t2 on the one input.

The other two are dvb-s/s2 tuner modules. One sat input is disabled right now. This is done by not loading the driver for that NIMM.

Disabling recording is not done by disabling the last tuner. Recording is disabled by not allowing the mounting of devices connected to the usb port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just like HDMI cables, you know, the digital ones that are gold plated. A snip at €99.

Murphy's law.
    It's morally wrong for suckers to keep their money

Don't forget the "digital aerials" or "HD aerials"

I opened the box last night. The screws were actually under the soft pads of the box. I couldn't see the tuners as the circuit board covered the top of the box.

• Advertisement

The box has three tuner modules (NIMMs).

One is a dual dvb-t/t2 on the one input.

The other two are dvb-s/s2 tuner modules. One sat input is disabled right now. This is done by not loading the driver for that NIMM.

Disabling recording is not done by disabling the last tuner. Recording is disabled by not allowing the mounting of devices connected to the usb port.

I do not have one of these boxes, but from what I have been reading it seems to be set up something like this .....

two tuners, which can be switched between DVB-T & DVB-S
    The DVB-S inputs require two connections, because the device is not Unicable (or equivalent) compatible. The DVB-T input can be easily split inside.

So as each tuner is software switched to DVB-S it is also connected to a DVB-S input.
    As each tuner is software switched to DVB-T, it then gets the connection to the DVB-T aerial input.

That gives a total of two tuners, each with dual capability (DVB-S & DVB-T), and seems to cover all the capability including that promised with the software update.

Is the above not a reasonable 'guess' at the internals of the box?

As Johnboy says you have to have the 2 sat inputs on the box as to watch a satellite channel and record another you need both sat inputs.

There must be a connection from each input to each tuner.

As the tuners are either terrestrial or satellite you will be limited to the amount of channels you can record. Watch and record a satellite channel at the same time, you won't be able to record on the saorview side.

Likewise watch rte 1 and record rte 2 at the same time, you won't be able to do anything on the satellite side (the 2 tunere are taken up tuning rte1 and 2 as these channels are on different muxes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭corm500

lukeeman wrote: »

Thanks lukeeman. It worked a treat.

I do not have one of these boxes, but from what I have been reading it seems to be set up something like this .....

The DVB-S inputs require two connections, because the device is not Unicable (or equivalent) compatible. The DVB-T input can be easily split inside.

So as each tuner is software switched to DVB-S it is also connected to a DVB-S input.
    As each tuner is software switched to DVB-T, it then gets the connection to the DVB-T aerial input.

That gives a total of two tuners, each with dual capability (DVB-S & DVB-T), and seems to cover all the capability including that promised with the software update.

It is right. Two tuners that are software switchable between DVB-S and DVB-T.

None of that differs from what I said.

3 tuner modules (ie 3 inputs)

2 Sat inputs and 1 dvb-t tuner. The dvb-t tuner module is a dual tuner. So there are 4 tuners, 2 for each.

There was much confusion in this thread that each tuner input (module) was switchable between dvb-s and dvb-t as if it had SDR like capabilities that covers those massive frequency bands, which was nonsense.

Note sure what your point is Sam. Connect is overpriced there's no doubt about that. My point was that there is no reason for hard drives to be overpriced too as they are available from many sources.

Note sure what your point is Sam. Connect is overpriced there's no doubt about that. My point was that there is no reason for hard drives to be overpriced too as they are available from many sources.

If I am buying an overpriced product, the salesman will think I am fair game to be offered another related overpriced product. I think it is called upselling.

I'm a salesman and I do not think that way. Sorry for off topic guys

If I am buying an overpriced product, the salesman will think I am fair game to be offered another related overpriced product. I think it is called upselling.

In other news did anyone get access to the beta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Nope. I enquired on October 11th. Heard nothing at all. There's probably no beta.

I'm a salesman and I do not think that way. Sorry for off topic guys

Tony, I am sure you do not sell overpriced goods and do not attempt to upsell other overpriced goods that might relate to the sale. You always come across as very professional.

I am refering to the selling of waranty extensions of an extra year (but sounding like two years) at a cost of 20% of the sale price or the expensive cables you do not need.

I was talking to the user THHB on another thread about the Connect box having a 2.0 usb. This probably means that recordings at one time will be limited in number as usb 2.0 could only accomodate upto 2 HD channels at a time. This is a limitation of having an external drive.

Given that one will need timeshift functions on the channel you are watching this could mean recording is limited to one HD channel or perhaps 2 if timeshift is not in use (a channel not being watched).

I think Saorview in designing the tender had very low expectations of what the box needed to offer.

In truth recordings are not a huge deal to me anyway. Having a player (with very little or short ads) in HD is much more important.

Fair enough Sam
    Tony, I am sure you do not sell overpriced goods and do not attempt to upsell other overpriced goods that might relate to the sale. You always come across as very professional.

I am refering to the selling of waranty extensions of an extra year (but sounding like two years) at a cost of 20% of the sale price or the expensive cables you do not need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I was talking to the user THHB on another thread about the Connect box having a 2.0 usb. This probably means that recordings at one time will be limited in number as usb 2.0 could only accomodate upto 2 HD channels at a time. This is a limitation of having an external drive.

I think Saorview in designing the tender had very low expectations of what the box needed to offer.

In truth recordings are not a huge deal to me anyway. Having a player (with very little or short ads) in HD is much more important.

USB 2.0 has a theoretical speed of 480 Mbps which would accommodate 48 - 60 HD channels. Obviously you won't get that in real world applications but the limit would be far greater than two.

USB 2.0 has a theoretical speed of 480 Mbps which would accommodate 48 - 60 HD channels. Obviously you won't get that in real world applications but the limit would be far greater than two.

But that doesn't work out in reality. Best case is 480 Mbps. I'll leave it to the other user to explain better as he knows a lot more than me.

Take it anyway, you won't be recording more than 2 hd channels at a time.

I just checked the humax 1100s specs and it also has a usb 2.0. I wonder how many channels it can record at once. I wonder is the cpu an issue.

I gave a quick check there at the humax specs and it seems to be limited to recording 2 channels as well. I do wonder if it could record more channels on the same transponder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

But that doesn't work out in reality. Best case is 480 Mbps. I'll leave it to the other user to explain better as he knows a lot more than me.

Take it anyway, you won't be recording more than 2 hd channels at a time.

Two HD channels are probably max 20 Mbps so USB 2.0 won't be the limiting factor if there is one.

You completely misunderstood what he said so I don't need it explained. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Given that one will need timeshift functions on the channel you are watching this could mean recording is limited to one HD channel or perhaps 2 if timeshift is not in use (a channel not being watched).

The system memory is 1 gig of DDR3. Had it been any lower, recording or timeshifting might not have worked at all.

The SOC on these is an ALi M3733 dual core Cortex A9 processor with a dual core Mali-400 GPU as used on the GoWarrior Tiger Development boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I think you'll find I said the Connect needs to be decent hardware with a fast enough CPU and enough ram to handle 2 or more 1080i writes to a usb drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Nope..

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Got an email from them this afternoon to say I was included in the testing. Just needed to reply to them with the serial number of my device.

• Advertisement
Advertisement