Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

Yep. I am included in the Beta test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

Treviso wrote: »
    Got an email from them this afternoon to say I was included in the testing. Just needed to reply to them with the serial number of my device.
    corm500 wrote: »
    Yep. I am included in the Beta test.

So you have to purchase a box to be part of their Beta test? I always thought that if testing a product for a company, that the company would supply the product to you. (I was supplied with a DTT box when doing the original DTT testing for RTE.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭fman

Lol this is RTE. You pay us for the box and you do the unpaid testing of it for us.

Biggie for me.....No Rewind from live TV!!!!:cool:(

SETUP:

In addition to an aerial connection and broadband connection for your Saorview Connect box, you will need a USB 3 storage device with a minimum capacity of 64GB. Devices with larger capacity can be used to allow increased storage time. Please do not connect the USB device yet. Note that some SSD devices may not be recognised by the device due to their unique ExFAT formatting. If using an such an SSD, please reformat it using your PC before inserting onto the USB socket of your Saorview Connect box.

When you switch on your Saorview Connect box, you may see an on screen prompt to advise you of an upgrade. If so, please follow the on screen instructions to download the upgrade.

If the prompt does not appear, please click Home >settings>System settings>Software upgrade>check for online software update. You will see a prompt to advise that the box will update to the new software version. The version number is 20.9.

Do not remove power or press any key until the download is complete.

NOTE - the new software will erase your existing channel list. This is necessary in order to activate the recording tuner.

Please complete the installation process. You will note that nothing has changed in the HOME menu, this is normal at this stage.

Connect the USB storage device to the USB socket at the rear of the Saorview Connect box. You will see an on screen prompt asking if you wish to format it. NOTE - formatting will erase all previous data on the storage device, so please ensure that your drive does not contain any important files or they will be lost.

Once formatting is complete, press the HOME menu again. You will see an additional 'Recordings' tab in the left hand menu.

NOTE - If for any reason you need to remove the USB storage device, or to disconnect the box from the power outlet, please go to Home>Settings>REC>Manage storage>Safely remove

NOTE - if you receive additional channels via satellite, you will need to connect cables from your satellite LNB to both SAT1 and SAT2 inputs at the rear of the box, in order to fully utilise the recording features.

FEATURES:

The Beta software update adds the following features:

Pause live TV - pause TV until you are ready to resume viewing in either Saorview or satellite modes.
    Record one channel while watching another - you can record either a Saorview or satellite programme while watching another Saorview or satellite channel.

Series Link on Saorview.
    Timer recording on Saorview and satellite.

Set a recording from the Guide.
    Record from Search or Spotlight.

Recording clash warnings.

Playback previously recorded content while recording a TV programme.

Recording system controls in Home >settings>REC

Set automatic padding time before or after a recording
    Set Auto delete feature for when the drive is nearly full
    Manage storage - see remaining storage capacity, format a drive, safely remove a drive.

Recording menu -

Access Recordings menu from HOME menu or from RECORDINGS button on remote control
    View lists of most recent recordings,
    Recording listings by A-Z
    High definition recordings
    Planned recordings list (from which you can set a timer recording)
    Series recordings listing
    Still to watch
    Kept recordings*
    Deleting soon*
    *the box can be set to automatically delete recordings when the drive is nearly full. You can view recordings that will delete soon, and you can mark a recording as 'Kept' meaning that it will not be automatically deleted.

Limitations:

Pause live TV takes up the recording tuner, so if you try to access this feature during a recording, a clash warning will appear.
    No 'rewind live tv' buffer; you can view paused content and rewind back to the pause point but not beyond it.
    Recording more than one programme at a time is not possible.
    Recording of On Demand Players is not possible
    Recording of Roll Back EPG content is not possible.

Known bugs in this release (we're working on a fix for these before the public launch):

Setting a reminder for a programme blocks future recording of that programme
    Reminder not cancelling until event starts
    Sound 'stutters' when HD paused content is restarted
    When satellite channels are tuned in for the first time, you may not hear sound. To get sound back, go to Home > Settings, Picture and Sound > and change Audio Type to Stereo.
    Series recordings not listing within the Recordings menu (although series recordings are working)
    Bug setting some sequential recordings on satellite
    Unexpected removal of power or USB storage device from box during recording can make operation unstable.
    Random reboot when changing from satellite to Saorview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Software update is available for those on the beta trial.

STB. wrote: »
    The system memory is 1 gig of DDR3. Had it been any lower, recording or timeshifting might not have worked at all.

The SOC on these is an ALi M3733 dual core Cortex A9 processor with a dual core Mali-400 GPU as used on the GoWarrior Tiger Development boards.

Just on this again.
    The ram on the humax 1100s is the exact same as this box.

I would presume freesat would have informed saorview of what specs the Connect box needed in order to operate the metaphor software to its potential.

The only difference that stands out is that the hard drive is external and usb connected. This must be a big issue for the box.

Note the mention above of 'recording tuner'. Is one of the tuners solely for recording? The other tuner is used for viewing?

Ok having downloaded the software the box has updated and is now recording. Very easy to use if you are used to the Freesat interface. A scroll through the TV guide allows you to set up future recordings and series link at the touch of a button. Live tv pause works ok but the picture is slightly pixelated when paused. There is no rewind feature from live tv which is a pity as I use it all of the time on Freesat. Both Saorview and satellite recordings appear in the same my recordings section. If what you are recording from satellite is a now or next recording then the name of the programme shows.
    Very happy, apart from the lack of live rewind

Just to add, the Saorview remote is far superior to the Humax Freesat one

Ok having downloaded the software the box has updated and is now recording. Very easy to use if you are used to the Freesat interface. A scroll through the TV guide allows you to set up future recordings and series link at the touch of a button. Live tv pause works ok but the picture is slightly pixelated when paused. There is no rewind feature from live tv which is a pity as I use it all of the time on Freesat. Both Saorview and satellite recordings appear in the same my recordings section. If what you are recording from satellite is a now or next recording then the name of the programme shows.
    Very happy, apart from the lack of live rewind

The lack of 'rewind live tv' is crazy for me. Again it points to one tuner being used to watch tv and not being able to use it for recording to the hard drive (needed to rewind live tv). The other tuner then is for recording. It seems a strange setup.

Something has clearly gone wrong in this project and we now have a sub standard product.

My saorview app hasn't updated to do remote recordings. I presume this won't arrive until they update the app.

Very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

So it works as a 2 tuner box with just one recording at a time or can it record 2 channels at once? ie can it record 2 Saorview at once?

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    So it works as a 2 tuner box with just one recording at a time or can it record 2 channels at once? ie can it record 2 Saorview at once?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

With the beta.... Can you set a reminder on a Satellite channel now? If you have a reminder set on Saorview and watching Satellite will it alert you?

The box has two identical tuners, controlled by software. If recording is not enabled, then neither is the second tuner.

Each tuner can be DVB-T2 or DVB-S2, and is set by software. It follows, that the first tuner is used for viewing or recording, while the second is used for recording.

I pointed this out quite some time ago.

It looks like you were in the know Sam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Just wondering if anybody is using this box with Saorsat, it's advertised as Saorsat approved, thanks

Just a note - the tg4 player will be out of use for trial users for the next while. You will see 'coming soon' on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Just a note - the tg4 player will be out of use for trial users for the next while. You will see 'coming soon' on it.

According to Saorview this was a technical issue on their backend and Should be corrected within a few days.

No internet connectivity on it for me tonight, even though it says wireless strength is excellent

No internet connectivity on it for me tonight, even though it says wireless strength is excellent

The wifi was an issue for me at an early stage.
    I ended up using homeplugs to provide an ethernet connection. No problems since.

A long list of bugs.

For those running the Connect box with a Humax Freesat box -

I played around with recordings on the Connect box this evening. I am using the Connect remote for both.

If I press the Recordings button on the remote it goes into that section on both boxes. If I set a recording on saorview it also sets a recording on the freesat box. Similar if you delete a recording.

However, if you go into Recordings through the Home button on the remote and then scroll to recordings, the order is different on both boxes. So possible to set/delete recordings without affecting the other. Granted not ideal.

Once the saorview app is updated with recordings setting, one will be able to set recordings on the apps so you won't have overlap issues. I don't think the apps will allow you to delete recordings though but you could always switch off one of the boxes while deleting recordings.

For me I think I will keep using the single remote to control both boxes. Able to record on both boxes now and full 7 day epg with series link. Access to players on both boxes too.

Edit: you can now delete recordings on the freesat app so likely the same will come to the saorview app. It makes it easier to use the 1 remote.

Actually the apps can also be used to turn on/off the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Sorry dumb question but are you using both boxes to get a 7 day epg on Freesat? I’m presuming the new software still just gives ‘now & next’ for the Sat channels are there are no plans to develop this?

I’m going to drop Virgin tv so for anyone with experience of both would you recommend Saorview box over a Tiviar?

Rosser wrote: »
    Sorry dumb question but are you using both boxes to get a 7 day epg on Freesat? I’m presuming the new software still just gives ‘now & next’ for the Sat channels are there are no plans to develop this?

I’m going to drop Virgin tv so for anyone with experience of both would you recommend Saorview box over a Tiviar?

The developers are investigating how to get a 7 day Satellite EPG on the box.

The Amiko A5 is an Android based STB that has CrossEPG (7 day SAT EPG similar to Linux boxes) as well as the ability to run all apks so that may also be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

I take it from the posts over past few days that the recording function is quite robust and solid. I assume the box is quite efficient now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Just on this again.
    The ram on the humax 1100s is the exact same as this box.

I would presume freesat would have informed saorview of what specs the Connect box needed in order to operate the metaphor software to its potential.

The only difference that stands out is that the hard drive is external and usb connected. This must be a big issue for the box.

Note the mention above of 'recording tuner'. Is one of the tuners solely for recording? The other tuner is used for viewing?

The RAM may be the same, but the underlying SOC isn't. This box is using that ALI M3733 which is ARM. Not much is known about it.

"Recording Tuner". Don't get tied up in this. Where there are two dvb-s sources, the ability to use one for recording whilst viewing the other full dvb-s tuner band exists. The ability to switch to an available tuner is what drives limitations. Example.

Tuner A DVB-T
    Tuner B DVB-T
    Tuner C DVB-S2
    Tuner D DVB-S2

If configured correctly in software Tuner A=B and Tuner C=D then the theoretical permutations allowed are obvious. If there are no hardware and particularly memory limitations then you should be able to record 2 dvb-s2 and 1 dvb-t on Mux 1 whilst watching another dvb-t on Mux 2.

The number of tuners available will vary according to the software written, and the software drivers for each tuner and the accompanying hardware, including mounted usb drives. It might also depend on whats been written to the available memory cache first.

@Rosser

Yes I am using both boxes - Connect for saorview and humax 1100s for freesat.

@Rosser

Yes I am using both boxes - Connect for saorview and humax 1100s for freesat.

Same here, which, I suspect, is the closest we are going to get to a complete solution.

• Advertisement

lsjmhar wrote: »
    I take it from the posts over past few days that the recording function is quite robust and solid. I assume the box is quite efficient now?

No issues with recording, anything recorded has recorded in full with complete pause rewind and forward functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

No issues with recording, anything recorded has recorded in full with complete pause rewind and forward functions.

Are the recordings 'protected' in any way?
    Can they be easily played on a PC?

Are the recordings 'protected' in any way?
    Can they be easily played on a PC?

There doesn't seem to be any network connection on the box like there is with the humax. When I cast stuff my Chromecast and humax show a network connection but not the Connect box.

There doesn't seem to be any network connection on the box like there is with the humax. When I cast stuff my Chromecast and humax show a network connection but not the Connect box.

If the drive holding the recordings were plugged into a PC are the recordings playable?

If the drive holding the recordings were plugged into a PC are the recordings playable?

I highly doubt it due to copyright but haven't checked.

• Advertisement

I tried to record Match of the Day 2 and Heineken Cup highlights last night and the box wouldn't let me. The system said one of the recordings had to be cancelled. Does that mean there is no triple tuner facility available, even with the software support? MOTD2 was on BBC and Heineken cup was on VM1, so one sat and one saorview.

I have not tried to record two programs on the sat side while watching saorview and wonder if the box can handle this option? There are two coax cables for sat so maybe it can handle two sat recordings.

If this is the case then the box is really only a double tuner - watch one side and record another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I tried to record Match of the Day 2 and Heineken Cup highlights last night and the box wouldn't let me. The system said one of the recordings had to be cancelled. Does that mean there is no triple tuner facility available, even with the software support? MOTD2 was on BBC and Heineken cup was on VM1, so one sat and one saorview.

I have not tried to record two programs on the sat side while watching saorview and wonder if the box can handle this option? There are two coax cables for sat so maybe it can handle two sat recordings.

If this is the case then the box is really only a double tuner - watch one side and record another.

Well it does state in the "Limitations"above that recording more than one programme at a time is not possible.

It's not even a conventional double tuner box then as a double tuner should be able to record two programmes at once, provided the box is tuned to the transponder or mux of one of the recordings, or alternatively the box is in standby.

That is what I was thinking. I thought if the box was on the channel then that could be recorded, as well as another channel. This will probably be fixed once the beta testing is over.

We have been told the box can only do 1 recording at a time. This may be improved in time.
    But even if you have 2 satellite inputs, the max you will be able to record is 1 programme, if you want to watch something at the same time.

It is really poor planning. If you are going to have 2 satellite inputs on the box you need at least 3 tuners, 4 if you want the best for the saorview side.

I don't know know how hard logistically this would be to put together in the box but with no hard drive, size shouldn't be an issue.

I think the problem here is that saorview just wanted to cover their end, of bringing a hybrid box to the market. They don't really care about the satellite end.

There was to be a saorview only Connect box launched too. You do wonder if they'll bother now as this box covers everything really if they can get the recording of 2 channels sorted.

We don't really know why they went with these multi-format tuners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This will probably be fixed once the beta testing is over.

Might be worthwhile contacting Keri to suggest that, it's possible that it will stay as is (only 1 channel record).

Beta version should have all major functions included with just minor bugs to be rectified, recording 2 channels at once is most likely a major function and if it's not in beta it may not be in final release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

No wonder people pay for Sky is all I can say, having read what the Saorview Connect box can't do. Are RTE not embarrassed by this backward piece of kit ? Its 2018 and they come up with a box that can only record one channel at a time and then to add further insult to injury, only to an external HDD !!

galtee boy wrote: »
    No wonder people pay for Sky is all I can say, having read what the Saorview Connect box can't do. Are RTE not embarrassed by this backward piece of kit ? Its 2018 and they come up with a box that can only record one channel at a time and then to add further insult to injury, only to an external HDD !!

You cannot judge all STBs or other options based on this failed Connect box ...... and yes it has failed miserably to deliver what customers want, although it might well have fulfilled what RTÉ want from it.

Paying Sky is a mugs game unless they have some exclusive content that is worth the payment to the individual customer.

You cannot judge all STBs or other options based on this failed Connect box ...... and yes it has failed miserably to deliver what customers want, although it might well have fulfilled what RTÉ want from it.

Paying Sky is a mugs game unless they have some exclusive content that is worth the payment to the individual customer.

Sky is expensive and doesn't offer all channels nor other options like players.

There is hope that the next freesat box will offer encryption. That could possibly open the way for eir, bt sports, eleven sports to offer their content on the freesat platform.

A lot more people would ditch sky only that they can't receive the sports channels on any other satellite platform.

Sky is expensive and doesn't offer all channels nor other options like players.

There is hope that the next freesat box will offer encryption. That could possibly open the way for eir, bt sports, eleven sports to offer their content on the freesat platform.

A lot more people would ditch sky only that they can't receive the sports channels on any other satellite platform.

You can cast Eir Sports & BT Sport from the eir sport app and get Sky Sports via Now TV.

People have Sky for convenience

patsryan wrote: »
    You can cast Eir Sports & BT Sport from the eir sport app and get Sky Sports via Now TV.

People have Sky for convenience

You need decent broadband plus you can't record. You also need a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

While I agree Sky is pricey and if you don't want Sports or movies, then a lot of channels can be got fta, but to there is more to it also, at least for your money, you get all the Irish terrestrials in HD, buckets of box sets, remote record from phone etc, watch channels via an app on phone or tablet, record multiple channels at a time etc. The Saorview box will never compete with that or should it, but for the love of God, it should at least be a proper pvr with built in hard drive and be able to record two channels at once. I move around my pay tv suppliers every year or two and play them off against each other, there is no need to pay full price. If someone gave me a Saorview Connect for free, I don't think I would take it, why ? to record Virgin Media and TG4 in SD ? No thanks. When and if they ever bring out a proper pvr, then I may be tempted, but the problem of only RTE in HD will remain.

I highly doubt it due to copyright but haven't checked.

I highly doubt the recordings are DRM'd.

They would have to be flagged in the data stream as such and they don't from the last time I recorded on a STB and viewed on a PC.

VLC or Potplayer should play them straight off.

I highly doubt the recordings are DRM'd.

They would have to be flagged in the data stream as such and they don't from the last time I recorded on a STB and viewed on a PC.

VLC or Potplayer should play them straight off.

If it is similar to the Humax HDR 1000/1010/1100S then the recordings will be encrypted.

https://www.burningimage.net/humaxusb/

If it is similar to the Humax HDR 1000/1010/1100S then the recordings will be encrypted.

https://www.burningimage.net/humaxusb/

That’s because some of the U.K. data streams request compatible receivers to DRM recordings.

Could someone confirm for me if the Now / next data can be populated automatically on any FTA receiver with two tuners without any additional plugins or changing to a channel on that transponder

That’s because some of the U.K. data streams request compatible receivers to DRM recordings.

Could someone confirm for me if the Now / next data can be populated automatically on any FTA receiver with two tuners without any additional plugins or changing to a channel on that transponder

Indeed they do, on HD Channels. But the Connect Box is not built to the Freesat spec. The tuner is generic,. Why would it be DRMing sat content ?

Do RTE broadcast encode flags ?

Your question. No. My experience of now/next data on generic receivers and TV's is that the info only populates when you have entered that channels multiplex (the now next data for all channels on that mux will populate when you enter the first).

Indeed they do, on HD Channels.

Do RTE broadcast encode flags ?

Your question. No. My experience of now/next data on generic receivers and TV's is that the info only populates when you have entered that channels multiplex (the now next data for all channels on that mux will populate when you enter the first).

AFAIK everything on the G2 Humax devices is encrypted, HD and SD. It's impossible to play them back on another device.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No it's because genuine Freesat boxes encrypt unencrypted FTA HD channels to prevent them being viewed on other boxes later on.

Record the same channel with a FTA box and it's clear.

No it's because genuine Freesat boxes encrypt unencrypted FTA HD channels to prevent them being viewed on other boxes later on.

Record the same channel with a FTA box and it's clear.

Yes and there was a workaround for the original HDR with Raydon's custom firmware. Unfortunately no such firmware exists for the G2 boxes so everything is encrypted.

AFAIK everything on the G2 Humax devices is encrypted, HD and SD. It's impossible to play them back on another device.

More accident than design on the SD, I gather. (thought the SD recordings did strip the encoding on SD on USB transfer on the Hummy 1000 series ??)

I see the Saorview spec that.......HDCP must be on (enabled or activated) in the signal within the HDMI-link out of the IRD for services in case of any following alternatives:

if any of service’s components has copyright flag in Transport Stream (TS) or Packetised Elementary Stream (PES) header is set on (‘1’) and/or
    • if signalled as must be on via PSI/SI descriptor in PMT as specified in NorDig specificationand/or
    • if signalled as a must be on via CA-system as specified in NorDig specification.

If any of the above alternatives request the HDCP must be on, then the service is here referred to as a ‘protected’ service. Now whether that rule would be copied across to dvb-s.......

• Advertisement

I contacted rte re the new player and having the player in HD on Connect. No launch dates set for either. Doubtful they will be launched for Xmas I guess.

Advertisement