Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

LOL I think you'll find that's the Sale of Goods Act 1893, whereas I posted the current legislation from 1980 in which, as I pointed out, delay is a significant issue here.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have been able to return the box when recording wasn't made available in mid-2018 (or whatever was sold to you) but it's the end of January 2019 now...

Oh I know what it was. Its the 1980 Act I was referring to (I know that the 80 Act restates some stuff from the 1893 Act), so it was a typo on my part. And of course it still exists as we kept the longer protection periods (rather than the minimum set down by the EU Consumer Law of 2 years when transposing).

The reasoning for returning is different from advertised. The manufacturer and brandname indicated that it would be able to record Mid 2018. The retailers had given earlier dates. Saorview then made statements that it would be later. None of the deadlines were met, nor have the expectations of the consumers.

All of these meet the criteria for return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

breeno wrote: »
    I'm in two minds as to try to return it. I'm not one for causing a scene but the box really is poor.

I tried it again last night out of interest and the on demand wouldn't work without a reboot, the changeover from Saorview to Satellite was crazy slow and the box crashed at one point too.

Another thing I noticed on satellite was that the now/next took 5 to 10 seconds to appear for each channel. Is this normal behaviour? If I replaced this box with something else (maybe the newest Walker combo box) would satellite now/next always take this long to appear? It's a bit frustrating not being able to see the details while flicking through the channels.
    Just to be clear - I think you should absolutely try to return it on the basis that (i) you purchased it for a feature which is not available despite advertisement that it would be by Q2 2018 and (ii) it's not of merchantable quality (as you outline in your post).

I'm just saying that it wouldn't necessarily be within your rights to demand that they accept it as a return due to the time delay. I'd be interested to see what would happen if they refused and this question went to the District Court though.

STB. wrote: »
    Oh I know what it was. Its the 1980 Act I was referring to (I know that the 80 Act restates some stuff from the 1893 Act), so it was a typo on my part. And of course it still exists as we kept the longer protection periods (rather than the minimum set down by the EU Consumer Law of 2 years when transposing).

The reasoning for returning is different from advertised. The manufacturer and brandname indicated that it would be able to record Mid 2018. The retailers had given earlier dates. Saorview then made statements that it would be later. None of the deadlines were met, nor have the expectations of the consumers.

All of these meet the criteria for return.
    That doesn't answer the key delay question. Why'd the consumer wait for 8 months to return the product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That doesn't answer the key delay question. Why'd the consumer wait for 8 months to return the product?

Were not the promises re-issued during that time?

Were not the promises re-issued during that time?
    If they did and time has expired, great.
    If they have extended beyond the current time, then I'd suggest there'd be a problem as you purchased something without functionality and they still say it will have it.

Again, try to return it - by all means, I'm encouraging it. But it's not a cut-and-dry issue.

If they did and time has expired, great.
    If they have extended beyond the current time, then I'd suggest there'd be a problem as you purchased something without functionality and they still say it will have it.

Again, try to return it - by all means, I'm encouraging it. But it's not a cut-and-dry issue.

No its not cut & dried, these things rarely are.
    BUT there is a good case to be made for a full refund on returning a Saorview Connect box.
    (I am not affected as I did not purchase this POS ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

maximus02 wrote: »
    Is there another Saorview box which has series link?

Unbelievably there isn't.

The one and only Saorview approved PVR, the Walker WP6500TTR disappeared off the market last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do LG tvs allow you to pause/rewind live tv with a hard drive connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

It does but telly has to be on to record, one channel at a time etc. EPG fairly clunky as well ..

• Advertisement

It does but telly has to be on to record, one channel at a time etc. EPG fairly clunky as well ..

I presume if it is in standby it is ok. I would only use the tv for saorview so recording not working because of a switch to satellite shouldn't be an issue. I presume the recordings would work away even if you were using the tv's apps?

It is crazy really that these tvs don't do series link. Surely if the 7 day epg is there it can't be too complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

My box is just randomly turning off now. I hope they sort this soonz!!!

I am tempted to return my box. The only thing is I would miss the remote. It is very user friendly in comparison to the humax remote. It allows me to change hdmi source, control tv volume and power on/off tv at a button push - none of which the humax is able to do.

Is the tiviar remote able for the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

The only thing is I would miss the remote.

It's a very expensive remote :-)

It's a very expensive remote :-)

Ya!
    I got my humax box for free so I am not too put out. One option is to stick with my humax and use the tv for saorview but the humax remote is a pain the way you have to switch back to tv mode to control the volume. It is also a very clunky long remote in the hand.

So I may go for the tiviar.

Would there be any one for all remote that would work for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Would there any one for all remote that would work for you

Get a Logitech Harmony instead then you can hide stuff away in cabinets or even in the next room

Switched on the Connect box to watch the rugby and no picture. Sick of it.

Put the aerial into the tv and added a hard drive and now I have full timeshift, something the Connect couldn't do.

I have the hotkeys on my lg remote set so I can quickly switch between saorview on the tv and the humax box.
    Long press 1 - straight to rte 2
    Long press 2 - straight to the humax box.

Where can I buy the tiviar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

For a walk in shop try satworld.ie

Where can I buy the tiviar?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    For a walk in shop try satworld.ie

€160?

I am missing More4 and Film4+1 from my box. Does anybody else have this problem? It states Signal not available!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

lsjmhar wrote: »
    I am missing More4 and Film4+1 from my box. Does anybody else have this problem? It states Signal not available!!

Frequency changed - you’ll need to manually add the required channels from this list... https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

patsryan wrote: »
    Frequency changed - you’ll need to manually add the required channels from this list... https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Aren't the suppliers of the box meant to do this?
    Another reason to avoid this box. I don't see them updating frequency changes promptly.

I am using my tv for saorview now instead. Happy with it so far. I may stick with the freesat box as it is a great user experience. My watching of saorview is now only live sport and the odd other programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭breeno

I am tempted to return my box. The only thing is I would miss the remote. It is very user friendly in comparison to the humax remote. It allows me to change hdmi source, control tv volume and power on/off tv at a button push - none of which the humax is able to do.

Is the tiviar remote able for the above?
    Did you try to return it yet? Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

lsjmhar wrote: »

They moved frequency months ago. Had a feeling this box wouldn't update sat freq changes quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Aren't the suppliers of the box meant to do this?

No. It is Saorview approved so frequency changes will happen automatically for that, but it is not a Freesat box, there was never any prospect of satellite frequencies being updated automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

They can if they choose upload the changes to the online database so if the user runs the installation procedure again it is possible to update the satellite channel database . Walker have this feature on their current saorview approved combo box, its not 100% yet but I've been told it is being worked on.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I see ads have returned to the SVC box... 😪

Has anyone any inside info on what the hold up is and when we expect the recording feature?

patsryan wrote:
    I see ads have returned to the SVC box... 😪

Was it ad free up to now ?

Has anyone any inside info on what the hold up is and when we expect the recording feature?

Not even God I'd say :-(

• Advertisement

Was it ad free up to now ?

It was adfree for a while

patsryan wrote:
    It was adfree for a while

Was it just the catch up was ad free yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Launching 19th February

May not be particularly appropriate to Saorview Connect thread ......but a 2RN test card is currently flashing intermittently a scrolling message "launching on 19th February"

Anybody got any idea of the significance of this message?

No news on Saorview website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Launching 19th February

May not be particularly appropriate to Saorview Connect thread ......but a 2RN test card is currently flashing intermittently a scrolling message "launching on 19th February"

Anybody got any idea of the significance of this message?
    RTE 2 +1.

So new beta update coming.

Interesting point about an aerial and Internet connection being needed if connecting to a Satellite dish in the article on Saorview.ie

https://www.saorview.ie/en/news

Could an EPG be inbound?
    Please note that you will need an aerial, and an internet connection - either wired or wi-fi. If connecting to a satellite dish, two satellite connections available to the box will be needed. You will also need to connect an external USB hard drive to the box once the beta software is downloaded and the box has completed installation.

Good to hear something, had given up on it.... Must fix me dish now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

"If connecting to a satellite dish, two satellite connections available to the box will be needed"

Is this simply for the purpose of watching one channel and recording another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

patsryan wrote: »
    So new beta update coming.

Interesting point about an aerial and Internet connection being needed if connecting to a Satellite dish in the article on Saorview.ie

https://www.saorview.ie/en/news

Could an EPG be inbound?

You would need an internet connection to download the software update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭peking97

Is there any particular recommendation as regards HDD for use with this box?

Hope they sort out players with this and UK epg!!!!! My TG4 player hasn't worked in ages either!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

peking97 wrote: »
    Is there any particular recommendation as regards HDD for use with this box?

I don't have a recommendation but this post from the Tiviar AlphaPlus thread discusses AV compatible HDDs.
    WD and Seagate manufacture dedicated AV HDDs according to the thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108654131#post108654131

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Got another email from the beta team asking to test the new software version so it should be rolled out within the week (for beta users)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭corm500

Treviso wrote: »
    Got another email from the beta team asking to test the new software version so it should be rolled out within the week (for beta users)

Same here, it also says that the update will wipe my hard drive. I got loads on it that I need to watch fast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

corm500 wrote: »
    Same here, it also says that the update will wipe my hard drive. I got loads on it that I need to watch fast :D

Updates really should not wipe external hard drives. But this is Saorview we are talking about so to be safe, plug out the hard drive, do the update, plug back in the drive.

• Advertisement

So I have noticed that multiple improvements have been made to the SVC software as of the latest beta update which improves the usablity of the box.
    • Timeshift has been implemented (I.E. Rewind LIVE TV).
    • The Now / Next satellite guide is now populated and kept updated.
    • The box for the most part no longer randomly reboots
    • Performance seems to have had a slight increase

The below bugs / improvements could be made

Saorview side

BUG: RTÉ Player does not show all programs that are available on its app

BUG: The 7 day Rollback guide does not show all programs that are available on RTÉ Player / TG4 Player

e.g The Late Late Show never showed up on the rollback guide but is available to watch on RTÉ Player

BUG: Programs on RTÉ Player fail to play after the ads have played. Currently it shows a black screen with a spinning circular symbol before presenting an error to the watcher.

Satellite Side

BUG: The box has randomly rebooted when changing from Satellite mode back to Saorview, although not as frequently as before.

IMPROVEMENT: The ability for the user to create channel groups / favourites that appear in the left hand side bar of the Home menu or when a coloured button is pressed in the Channels List / Guide should be added.

e.g Entertainment, +1, Movies, Sports, Music, News, Movies, Kids etc

BUG: Channels which form part of the default FTA channel organisation that are hidden by the user are un-hidden when an automatic or manual scan is completed by the user.

e.g The user has hidden the channel Really, they then rescan the box to add new channels and discover that the previously hidden channel is now shown.

BUG: Channels which form part of the 50 or so organised FTA channels, whose channel number has been edited by the user, reverts to the default channel number given as part of the default organisation when a rescan is done automatically or manually by the user.

e.g If BBC One NI HD has been set as 101 it should not revert to 1001 when a rescan is done.

IMPROVEMENT: The user should be able to type in a channel number on the edit screen using the buttons on the remote instead of having to scroll through tens / hundreds of numbers to set a channel number to the desired number.

e.g The user wants BBC One NI HD to be set as 101 not 1001, currently the user has to hold the channel Up button until they have the desired channel in the desired slot.

IMPROVEMENT: Hidden channels show on the edit channels screen but should not show on edit screen so as to keep editing as simple and clean as possible.

IMPROVEMENT: There should be an option to export the channel list so that if the box had to be reset one would not have to reorganise the channel list. This would allow a user to import the channel list onto another SVC box if necessary / wanted to do so.

BUG: The following channels don’t appear after doing an automatic or manual scan.

Sony Crime
    Sony Crime + 1

These are FTA channels and are on the below frequency according to Lyngsat.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

BUG: Encrypted channels are tuned in but should not be as the user is unable to watch encrypted channels.

e.g AMC from BT

BUG: The following channels cannot be decoded for some reason despite being FTA and there frequency / channel number on the transponder not changing recently.

ITV3+1
    ITV4+1

Both Saorview and Satellite

IMPROVEMENT: Improve on-screen animations so that the SVC box appears faster and fluid.

e.g. Changing between Saorview and Satellite mode appears quite slow

BUG: Change the HDD formatting to a common format that can be recognised on a PC / Mac.

IMPROVEMENT: Add the ability for the user to play their own videos / photos via the SVC box.

IMPROVEMENT: Add the ability for users to watch other online content.

Other apps such as Netflix or YouTube could be one way to do this, although adding some casting technology such as Miracast / DLNA / WiDi / Google Cast / Apple AirPlay 2 could be another way to allow users wanting to watch other online content to do so without requiring additional hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭corm500

Great observations PatsRyan. Have you sent this through to Saorview?

corm500 wrote: »
    Great observations PatsRyan. Have you sent this through to Saorview?

Yes I have

BUG: Change the HDD formatting to a common format that can be recognised on a PC / Mac.

What is the format used on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What is the format used on this?

If it is the same as the Humax Freesat G2 boxes which use similar software then it will be an encrypted Linux partition that is not readable outside of the box it was created on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement