Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

20rothmans wrote:
    Tried that on Friday. No reply yet anyway.

Time means nothing with saorview connect :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Time means nothing with saorview connect :-)

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Recording launching next week onto all boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder how they're going to promote it? Like will they recommend a specific hard drive for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

Has anyone else encountered a problem with the connect box in relation to wifi? Everytime I turn the box on I have to disconnect the wifi on the box and turn the wifi back on to get it to connect. Its a bit of a pain tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Recording upgrade has been confirmed by email from Saorview for Monday 15th April.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I have two of these boxes, one with two satellite connectors that downloads the UK epg, one that has a single connector that doesn't. If I get a sat splitter connector for this box, will the splitter spearate the signal so that I am pulling the data from both cables, to give me all UK EPG data. The socket on the wall only has a terretrial and single sat plug.

My other box is connected to a socket with one terrestrial and two satellite points so this allows two separate sat cables. I am not sure if a splitter would do this job for the second box. Any advice on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lsjmhar wrote: »
    I have two of these boxes, one with two satellite connectors that downloads the UK epg, one that has a single connector that doesn't. If I get a sat splitter connector for this box, will the splitter spearate the signal so that I am pulling the data from both cables, to give me all UK EPG data. The socket on the wall only has a terretrial and single sat plug.

My other box is connected to a socket with one terrestrial and two satellite points so this allows two separate sat cables. I am not sure if a splitter would do this job for the second box. Any advice on this?

Not exactly sure what you're trying to do but you mention splitting satellite feed cables, this cannot be done, each satellite tuner requires a dedicated connection to the LNB on the dish.

The Cush wrote: »
    Not exactly sure what you're trying to do but you mention splitting satellite feed cables, this cannot be done, each satellite tuner requires a dedicated connection to the LNB on the dish.

Cheers that's what I was wondering alright. I would need to add another LNB connector from dish and have a two Sat socket. I wasn't sure if a splitter would work but you have cleared that up for me. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The socket on the wall only has a terretrial and single sat plug.

How many cables behind the faceplate? If there are 2 you can diplex another satellite feed onto the terrestrial cable and split it at the TV point with a faceplate like this - https://vision-products.co.uk/slim-n-fast-outlet-plate-sat1-terr-sat2/

The Cush wrote:
    another satellite feed onto the terrestrial cable and split it at the TV point with a faceplate like this -

The Cush wrote:
    How many cables behind the faceplate? If there are 2 you can

I will need to lift the plate and see at some point. Thanks for that. Hopefully that might be a better solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

corm500 wrote: »
    Has anyone else encountered a problem with the connect box in relation to wifi? Everytime I turn the box on I have to disconnect the wifi on the box and turn the wifi back on to get it to connect. Its a bit of a pain tbh.

Another problem with the box. When I had it I had to connect an ethernet cable due to persistent wifi problems. Maybe they have it sorted now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Another problem with the box. When I had it I had to connect an ethernet cable due to persistent wifi problems. Maybe they have it sorted now.

I have found WiFi is iffy with my Samsung TV. No problems since it is cabled.

So if I buy an external HDD, I just plug it into the box and it’ll work?

AngryLips wrote: »
    So if I buy an external HDD, I just plug it into the box and it’ll work?

Yes. The box will format it once you connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Recording launching next week onto all boxes
    I know that time means nothing in Saorview Connect terms, but any chance this actually appeared yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I know that time means nothing in Saorview Connect terms, but any chance this actually appeared yet?

I was down at the Ideal Home Show and RTE had the Connect box at €150 with a handout proclaiming that recording was active. A HDD was also on offer for €50.

It is still €159 with the retailers.

They mention that the 2 satellite connections are active to provide a reliable satellite service. Are you able to watch one satellite channel and record another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It seems that with only one satellite feed, the box needs rebooting to access some satellite channels...
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SAORVIEW/status/1117876718809653248

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭WattsUp

Is there an android app update to allow recording remotely from saorview app ?
    Can this be done while on the same wifi as box ?
    Can it be done remotely while not connected to the same wifi as the box ?

RPD wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I am part of the Powerpoint Saorview Connect Team and new to this thread. I am happy to answer questions that you may have in relation to the Saorview Connect DXD7025 device on the market. @ Tigerandahalf - You are able to record a TV channel while watching another on Saorview or Satellite. One aerial feed is required to do this on Saorview channels and Two satellite feeds are required to do this on satellite channels.

Does the hard drive allow live rewind of shows that you're watching?

20rothmans wrote: »
    Is there an android app update to allow recording remotely from saorview app ?
    Can this be done while on the same wifi as box ?
    Can it be done remotely while not connected to the same wifi as the box ?

I have the freesat app which allows remote recording when out and about.
    The saorview app 'should' do the same.

It takes about 30 minutes for the box to receive the remote recording as the box (if turned off) wakes every 30 mins to check if there is a remote recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RPD

The remote record feature is planned for the Saorview app on Android and iOS devices. The developers are working on adding that feature and it will be rolled out to all app users when ready. It will do all you ask.

This is autotimeshift. It is a future upgrade subject to popular demand'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

This is autotimeshift. It is a future upgrade subject to popular demand'

I hope you're finding it easy to keep a straight face posting about potential "upgrades" to a device launched in 2018, when such technology has been available in other DVRs for at least thirteen years.

I have an LG tv with a hard drive connected and it does live rewind.

If saorview connect was an android box with the ability to put apps like netflix, prime, now tv, eir sports, tg4 player, rte player on it, it would have been a great product. It is a missed opportunity. The box is already outdated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

Hi Everyone. I am part of the Powerpoint Saorview Connect Team and new to this thread. I am happy to answer questions that you may have in relation to the Saorview Connect DXD7025 device on the market. @ Tigerandahalf - You are able to record a TV channel while watching another on Saorview or Satellite. One aerial feed is required to do this on Saorview channels and Two satellite feeds are required to do this on satellite channels.

One problem that I have with the box is that every time I turn it on the wifi is not working. It shows as working in settings but it is not. I then have to disable wifi in settings and turn wifi back on for it to work. Every time. Can I do anything to stop this happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

Wait, so you can’t rewind pause and rewind live TV??? This had to be a joke, surely?

Qrt wrote: »
    Wait, so you can’t rewind pause and rewind live TV??? This had to be a joke, surely?

You can pause live TV but not rewind it. Who needs to rewind TV?

• Advertisement

Oh so you can press pause, go the jacks (or whatever), come back, and pick up where you left off? That's grand so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You really should stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Ah...you are watching a crucial soccer game and want to rewind to see that incident just one more time...hey your mate has just come in and wants to see it now. Mmm.

Ah...you are watching a crucial soccer game and want to rewind to see that incident just one more time...hey your mate has just come in and wants to see it now. Mmm.

Ah here! Has your mate no TV?

Mod:Post deleted. Sorry, it is a Boards.ie rule that if you are posting on behalf of a company you must have a verified rep account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Can an owner of the box add extra satellite channels, radio channels etc, thanks

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Can an owner of the box add extra satellite channels, radio channels etc, thanks

You have to tune in the satellite channels yourself. It will pull down the FTA UK sat and radio channels.

The satellite tuning is automatic once activated by the user. There is a preloaded list of the most watched channels that will appear when the tuning is complete.
    It is possible for the user to remove, add or change location from the preloaded channels list if required. Please email us svc@shomar.ie if further help is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Does the box also offer DiSEqC for different satellites
    Astra 2
    Astra 1
    Eutelsat Kasat 9A

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 keribillen

Does the box also offer DiSEqC for different satellites
    Astra 2
    Astra 1
    Eutelsat Kasat 9A

Thanks

Hi,
    The box is technically able to access other satellites (EKT does this almost every day when testing the box at its sites across the world that cannot access Astra28) but there was no requirement for the end product to have a DiseqcUI within the satellite section. We guess there's not much demand for such a function but happy to be proven there is. We can then look at implementing it.

Do you want access to the three sats you mentioned above at the same time? Is motorised dish control interesting for you?

All the best,
    Keri (PM at EKT.....contact me directly if you want more details because I am not on this forum much: keri.billen@ekt-digital.com).

I have an LG tv with a hard drive connected and it does live rewind.

If saorview connect was an android box with the ability to put apps like netflix, prime, now tv, eir sports, tg4 player, rte player on it, it would have been a great product. It is a missed opportunity. The box is already outdated.

Alas, Amazon Prime is not working well on Android (Amazon and Google are still not exactly best friends) and Android in 2019 still offers no solution for updating the box over the air, as mandated for the product (our box is Nordig-compliant and updates nicely over the air). Also, the chip vendors' SDKs for Android still lag behind their Linux offerings. Finally, with the spreading of Chromecast dongles etc (I just bought one for £12.99) that connect easily to a phone, it is nigh-on impossible for a STB to compete and differentiate by offering YouTube, Netflix etc. I have YouTube and BBC iPlayer on my Sky box and Smart TV and hardly use them. Much easier to dial them up on my phone and cast them to my Chromecast. One of the main points of a box like Soarview Connect is to offer functions that are operator/location-specific, e.g. the Irish catch-up content. Happy to have a detailed chat with you if you want: keri.billen@ekt-digital.com.

@keri

I find it a pain having to use the chromecast as it is phone dependent and not much use if a younger family member wants to watch.
    Plus the chromecast has to be plugged in each time (data use).

Most people want one single remote and everything on the one platform.

I notice ekt have android platform set top boxes for distribution.

@keri

I find it a pain having to use the chromecast as it is phone dependent and not much use if a younger family member wants to watch.

My younger kids (6, 6, 10 and 11) can use Chromecast easily enough. :)
    "Most people want one single remote and everything on the one platform." You are right. Such a device simply does not exist as far as I know. Frustrating, I know. Not even AppleTV or Chromecast carry all the online platforms. Netflix won't even be part of AppleTV+...
    EKT does indeed offer Android solutions if the operator mandates it for whatever reason. Wasn't an option for Saorview Connect, for the (big) reason I mentioned earlier today.

@keri

You can get everything you want with Sky Q - full epg, rewind, pause, record, movies on demand, all sports, add netflix, bt sport, control TV from single remote control. It will cost you €1400 per year approx. Nothing to stop people from buying it.

@keri

I think the vast majority of parents wouldn't want their kids accessing a smart phone to control their tv.

I have used Sky and the player/streaming service is poor with content having to be downloaded rather than streamed. Plus my freesat box has all channels in hd for free. With the iplayer and netflix on it as well you have the best streaming services out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You can get everything you want with Sky Q - full epg, rewind, pause, record, movies on demand, all sports, add netflix, bt sport, control TV from single remote control. It will cost you €1400 per year approx. Nothing to stop people from buying it.

........ ans not even a smilie to go along with that! :D:D

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

lsjmhar wrote:
    Nothing to stop people from buying it.

Except the 1400 a year

Is anybody having trouble with RTÉ One since the update? It’s fine when the box first boots, switch to satellite, switch back to Saorview and it’s breaking up every couple of seconds - basically unwatchable.

Qrt wrote:
    Is anybody having trouble with RTÉ One since the update? It’s fine when the box first boots, switch to satellite, switch back to Saorview and it’s breaking up every couple of seconds - basically unwatchable.

Qrt wrote:

No. Maybe it is ur aerial connection?

@ QRT.

This obviously should not be the case and we have not experienced this on any other box following the update. Can you send me a video clip of this fault happening to svc@shomar.ie ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement