Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

STB. wrote: »
    They are not going to do this. Its too late and no doubt outside the terms of the original manufacturing agreement.

Auto update already exists for DVB-T. Its called LCN. This is the logical channel number order that exists for the Saorview platform in accordance with Code of Practice for the Placement of Television Services agreed with the BAI.

On Linux boxes, some clever coder developed a plugin many years ago that automates the process of building and updating a bouquet or channel list. It was done by providers and is xml based. It would be simple to copy, but its not going to happen as RTE have no interest in creating a FTA viewing box.

I gather what RTE are currently doing with the connect box is hard coding/maintaining a basic predetermined channel list for satellite that is only updated on software update. Completely different. And in a different access module to the Saorview Channels.

Finally this 7 day epg that people have confused as copyrighted. The Freesat logo and menu system is copyrighted. The epg just like the channels is unencrypted and is not. Free to Air and free use.

There are hundreds of thousands E2 boxes out in the public domain. EPG scraping and grabbing from various providers over the air is built in by default. The OE alliance of developers would have been sued years ago if there were any obvious copyright issues.

+1

and particularly in relation to the manner RTE are locking down their connect box.
    Most who have used open systems will attest to the fact that 7 day EPG is expected and not something that is difficult or illegal to attain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Open source

ABM - Automatically build and update bouquets from the DVB stream

https://github.com/oe-alliance/AutoBouquetsMaker

Cross EPG

https://github.com/E2OpenPlugins/e2openplugin-CrossEPG

XMLTV - Utilities to obtain, generate, and post-process TV listings data in XMLTV format

https://github.com/XMLTV/xmltv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Anyone able to retune satellite channels on this box? A family member has lost CNN. I can retune the new frequency and it finds CNN HD it but cant seem to save it to the channel list for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Has the new RTE Player been rolled out to the box for anyone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

AngryLips wrote: »
    Has the new RTE Player been rolled out to the box for anyone yet?

Not to me anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Irreverent wrote: »
    Anyone able to retune satellite channels on this box? A family member has lost CNN. I can retune the new frequency and it finds CNN HD it but cant seem to save it to the channel list for some reason.

Seen this issue on other channels before. According to developers, Apparently some channels are being broadcasted with the encrypted flag set incorrectly..... but I don’t believe that is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

patsryan wrote: »
    Seen this issue on other channels before. According to developers, Apparently some channels are being broadcasted with the encrypted flag set incorrectly..... but I don’t believe that is it
    Unfortunately this is probably the case, just checked here on my combi TV, CNN HD, CNBC HD, Channel 4 HD, Channel 5 HD, to mention but a few all carry the encrypted flag.

Can the Connect box scan for encrypted channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Quest HD is gone too so no Championship highlights available in HD. Have to watch SD version on Quest+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Quest HD is gone too so no Championship highlights available in HD. Have to watch SD version on Quest+1
    Not showing an encrypted flag here on my TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

All good here on my triax combo box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Quest HD changed TP settings which also affected France 24 , Freesports HD and S4C HD

11426 V 29500, 8/9, DVB-S2, QPSK.

Quest HD changed TP settings which also affected France 24 , Freesports HD and S4C HD

Cheers. I will put those in the settings!!

I've put in those settings and the box finds the stations, which I save. The now/next epg is showing what show is on but the channel is not appearing for any of the 3, channels - signal not available appearing on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Are you sure you are selecting the new entries? You may have to delete the old ones first, then add the new settings

Are you sure you are selecting the new entries? You may have to delete the old ones first, then add the new settings

I can't delete entries on Connect box. There isn't a way to do this

I can't delete entries on Connect box. There isn't a way to do this

Doing a reset is the only way to delete channels. Made the comment to Keri but nothing done. Maybe try a full (automatic) rescan

I've put in those settings and the box finds the stations, which I save. The now/next epg is showing what show is on but the channel is not appearing for any of the 3, channels - signal not available appearing on screen.

This is one of two things. You are viewing the old entry rather than the newly scanned one OR the box has a problem with channels that have an S/R of 29500. I see no encryption flags on my E2 box.

This is one of two things. You are viewing the old entry rather than the newly scanned one OR the box has a problem with channels that have an S/R of 29500. I see no encryption flags on my E2 box.

It may require a factory reset to solve this problem. The E2 boxes are so much simpler to fix than this box. Trying to organise ukfta channels is laborious and problematic also. They need to make this easier!!!

It may require a factory reset to solve this problem. The E2 boxes are so much simpler to fix than this box. Trying to organise ukfta challenges is laborious and problematic also. They need to make this easier!!!

Well if its a problem displaying channels with a particular S/R or adding new parameters with S/R's not previously defined, then it might require a software update (this happened before in the UK I recall with certain receivers). The encryption flag ECM would be set in the PID of the stream.

On the channel list sorting, is there not an option to upload or download channel lists ? What is the firmware extension on these files ? abs ? bin ?

• Advertisement

Well if its a problem displaying channels with a particular S/R or adding new parameters with S/R's not previously defined, then it might require a software update (this happened before in the UK I recall with certain receivers). The encryption flag ECM would be set in the PID of the stream.

On the channel list sorting, is there not an option to upload or download channel lists ? What is the firmware extension on these files ? abs ? bin ?

This is the Saorview Connect box. I cannot access this info as far as I know. I don't think you can FTP into the connect box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The TV ads and the endless promoting of this box on Saorview channel 27 suggests all people need to do is connect to the internet and get Irish & UK channels for free. It's so simple :)

It's crazy that this box can't auto update Satellite frequency changes. Most people on here know exactly how many times frequency changes happen

The TV ads and the endless promoting of this box on Saorview channel 27 suggests all people need to do is connect to the internet and get Irish & UK channels for free. It's so simple :)

It's crazy that this box can't auto update Satellite frequency changes. Most people on here know exactly how many times frequency changes happen

True. An automatic scam should resolve this problem but the 'locked-in' interface is a problem as channels need to reordered. I don't see the point in having BBC one next pick+1. A bit of sensible ordering, and the freedom to do it, is necessary for the ukfta channels to work. I think I will get a new e2 box as that will solve all these problems. Put the wooshbuild on and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ChristopherGK

What is the optimal size HDD? I connected a 5T drive that I had not been using and with only a few programs recorded it reports 49% filled, which is absurd. I expect the SVC cannot address a drive of that size, so maybe a smaller one would give me more usable space, or is the 49% report just wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

What is the optimal size HDD? I connected a 5T drive that I had not been using and with only a few programs recorded it reports 49% filled, which is absurd. I expect the SVC cannot address a drive of that size, so maybe a smaller one would give me more usable space, or is the 49% report just wrong?

I think the device only formats a portion of the drive, and I’m guessing it will reformat more if needed.

No, I requested this during beta testing but it was never added. Surprised it wasn’t as the base OS without the fancy Freesat UI probably supports export. Don’t believe anyone ever received a firmware file either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Anyone having issues with the Connect box of having to rescan the saorview channels constantly, Rte2 and others disappearing do a rescan and they reappear?

Anyone having issues with the Connect box of having to rescan the saorview channels constantly, Rte2 and others disappearing do a rescan and they reappear?

No but my box never seems to remember the wifi which I think might mean that scheduled records don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alpha77

AngryLips wrote: »
    No but my box never seems to remember the wifi which I think might mean that scheduled records don't work.

RTE One has disappeared several times for me. Have had to rescan to get it back. Anyone having trouble manually scanning for a specific channel number. It does not always select the strongest one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

This is turning into a bit of a disaster for me. I have most of the Irish channels but when switching to satellite with 100% signal strength I might have no more than 10 channels. For the price of this box it's a bit of a joke. I was hoping to get one for my dad but any one who isn't reasonably tech savy would be ripping their hair out every few days with missing channels. Does anyone have any idea how I can pick up more sat channels?

This is turning into a bit of a disaster for me. I have most of the Irish channels but when switching to satellite with 100% signal strength I might have no more than 10 channels. For the price of this box it's a bit of a joke. I was hoping to get one for my dad but any one who isn't reasonably tech savy would be ripping their hair out every few days with missing channels. Does anyone have any idea how I can pick up more sat channels?

Reset the box. The Irish channels should all load. Then do a full scan of UK sat channels. Sometimes this resolved all problems!!

• Advertisement

Reset the box. The Irish channels should all load. Then do a full scan of UK sat channels. Sometimes this resolved all problems!!
    I've done both several times over the last two weeks and made sure the sat signal is bang on. At the stage of just bringing it back. It had so much promise but it's not fit for purpose when it needs so much running maintenance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

The new RTE player is now available on the connect box

I've done both several times over the last two weeks and made sure the sat signal is bang on. At the stage of just bringing it back. It had so much promise but it's not fit for purpose when it needs so much running maintenance

Tbh I've never had the problem I have. It should work with a factory reset and update of software!

Tbh I've never had the problem I have. It should work with a factory reset and update of software!

I'll give it one more go when the weather calms down. Thanks

Only receiving some saorview channels could suggest your aerial needs adjustment. Do you have a saorview tuner on your Tv and if so can you get all the saorview channels on it ?

On the satellite side do you have a free to air box you can hook up to the dish to see if you get all the satellite channels.

If you try the above suggestions it will confirm if it's the connect box is the problem.

Only receiving some saorview channels could suggest your aerial needs adjustment. Do you have a saorview tuner on your Tv and if so can you get all the saorview channels on it ?

On the satellite side do you have a free to air box you can hook up to the dish to see if you get all the satellite channels.

If you try the above suggestions it will confirm if it's the connect box is the problem.

The sat side is connected to my sky dish. My sky box is working perfectly and my connect box was also until about a week ago off the same dish.
    I'll borrow my dad's free to air box next week and hook that up. See what it picks up

I'll borrow my dad's free to air box next week and hook that up. See what it picks up

If your skybox is working perfectly off the same dish no need to borrow the free to air box

Maybe the connect people can get TG4 to update their player for the box now that RTEplayer is working. Adding eir sport app would be a bonus. Do a deal RTE!!! Surely these leaders, who are hired because they are so talented, can make this simple action happen!!!

Maybe the connect people can get TG4 to update their player for the box now that RTEplayer is working. Adding eir sport app would be a bonus. Do a deal RTE!!! Surely these leaders, who are hired because they are so talented, can make this simple action happen!!!

The fix for TG4 was paused according to the developers.... Virgin Media Player is also apparently coming in December (according to someone on twitter)

UPDATE: Virgin Media have confirmed they have no such news of the above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You are expecting something from the "connect people" that their historical actions (or lack of actions) does not imply .......

they released a box that was not fit for purpose
    they promised over long periods fixes and failed to deliver
    some things were 'fixed' over time, but not all - by a long shot

IMO, expecting anything, but failure to get things right, from these people is doomed to disappointment.

• Advertisement

You are expecting something from the "connect people" that their historical actions (or lack of actions) does not imply .......

they released a box that was not fit for purpose
    they promised over long periods fixes and failed to deliver
    some things were 'fixed' over time, but not all - by a long shot

IMO, expecting anything, but failure to get things right, from these people is doomed to disappointment.

I agree Johnboy1951.

The Metaphor solution could have been implemented better from the outset and could have been improved if the long list of fixes and changes suggested to both SAORVIEW and the developers to improve the current solution during the beta period for recording were implemented.

This IMO was likely RTÉs decision, they will blame their financial crisis I am sure.

Currently, the rollback guide doesn't work fully - half the shows on RTÉ channels that are available on RTÉ player are missing due to a metadata issue.

TG4 player doesn't work and hasn't worked for quite a while.

The fix was paused by the development team.

As for VM player, I noticed comments on twitter by a person saying it was coming in December.

These comments surprised me, seeing as VM don't even have a Smart TV app.

Hence I tweeted VM to confirm, who basically said they didnt know what I was referring to!

As a basic box to watch SAORVIEW / FTA Satellite on it isn't bad, but as a Combo Linear / Smart TV platform it needs quite a bit of work.

Heres to hoping, however unlikely that a gen 2 product is in development with FREESAT's gen 3 product

sugarman wrote: »
    Depends, could be a faulty LNB on that output and its not switching polarity between Horizontal and Vertical giving missing channels. Or the box could be faulty and not sending the signal to switch.

Update on this. I tried my dad's freesat and it didn't work so I then bought a signal tester on amazon
    Konig Satfinder Satellite Installation Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000M4FRSE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JjZPDb1DMB1KX

Tried using a compass first and the signal strenght/quality bars on the sky box. Neither were accurate enough. Hooked up the above meter and when it Indicated I had a strong signal I went down to scan for sat channels. Boom, huge amount picked up. Well worth a tenner for the meter

Tried using a compass first and the signal strenght/quality bars on the sky box. Neither were accurate enough. Hooked up the above meter and when it Indicated I had a strong signal I went down to scan for sat channels. Boom, huge amount picked up. Well worth a tenner for the meter

Good stuff well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Garrygorman

Don't buy the PowerPoint saorview connect box. There are loads of functions that don't work well.
    Recording is hit and miss.
    EPG is listed as 7 day. It is 1 day max so setting it to record something later in the week is difficult.
    UK HD terrestrial channels are glitchy. Perfect on satellite.
    RTE player always buffers even though broadband connection is high speed. RTE player works perfectly on another TV from phone to Chromecast on the same internet connection.
    You can't rearrange the channel list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Don't buy the PowerPoint saorview connect box. There are loads of functions that don't work well.
    Recording is hit and miss.
    EPG is listed as 7 day. It is 1 day max so setting it to record something later in the week is difficult.
    UK HD terrestrial channels are glitchy. Perfect on satellite.
    RTE player always buffers even though broadband connection is high speed. RTE player works perfectly on another TV from phone to Chromecast on the same internet connection.

What’s the best alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Garrygorman

Kagawa wrote: »
    What’s the best alternative?
    If you are buying a new TV Sony have a great range with Android built in. You can run RTE player from there along with loads of other apps.
    If you want a box to go with your TV, get an Android box with DVB T2 and DVB S2 built in. Forget saorview connect as it will drive you to the drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Plenty of good enigma 2 receivers with both tuners and pvr function.

You can arrange the channel list :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

If you are buying a new TV Sony have a great range with Android built in. You can run RTE player from there along with loads of other apps.
    If you want a box to go with your TV, get an Android box with DVB T2 and DVB S2 built in. Forget saorview connect as it will drive you to the drink.

Is this a good one worth getting, Amiko Combo Android - seems to come up a lot online. Does it have a 7 day EPG unlike Saorview's combi box?

https://www.satworld.ie/amiko-a4-combo-android-kodi-satellite-terrestrial-and-cable-receiver-and-media-player.html

Or this one?

https://www.satworld.ie/amiko-a5-combo.html

• Advertisement

Android is not the way to go for combined satellite and saorview in one list with 7 day epg.

Linux. Enigma 2 boxes.

Advertisement