Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keribillen

I have an LG tv with a hard drive connected and it does live rewind.

If saorview connect was an android box with the ability to put apps like netflix, prime, now tv, eir sports, tg4 player, rte player on it, it would have been a great product. It is a missed opportunity. The box is already outdated.

Alas, Amazon Prime is not working well on Android (Amazon and Google are still not exactly best friends) and Android in 2019 still offers no solution for updating the box over the air, as mandated for the product (our box is Nordig-compliant and updates nicely over the air). Also, the chip vendors' SDKs for Android still lag behind their Linux offerings. Finally, with the spreading of Chromecast dongles etc (I just bought one for £12.99) that connect easily to a phone, it is nigh-on impossible for a STB to compete and differentiate by offering YouTube, Netflix etc. I have YouTube and BBC iPlayer on my Sky box and Smart TV and hardly use them. Much easier to dial them up on my phone and cast them to my Chromecast. One of the main points of a box like Soarview Connect is to offer functions that are operator/location-specific, e.g. the Irish catch-up content. Happy to have a detailed chat with you if you want: keri.billen@ekt-digital.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

@keri

I find it a pain having to use the chromecast as it is phone dependent and not much use if a younger family member wants to watch.
    Plus the chromecast has to be plugged in each time (data use).

Most people want one single remote and everything on the one platform.

I notice ekt have android platform set top boxes for distribution.

@keri

I find it a pain having to use the chromecast as it is phone dependent and not much use if a younger family member wants to watch.

My younger kids (6, 6, 10 and 11) can use Chromecast easily enough. :)
    "Most people want one single remote and everything on the one platform." You are right. Such a device simply does not exist as far as I know. Frustrating, I know. Not even AppleTV or Chromecast carry all the online platforms. Netflix won't even be part of AppleTV+...
    EKT does indeed offer Android solutions if the operator mandates it for whatever reason. Wasn't an option for Saorview Connect, for the (big) reason I mentioned earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

@keri

You can get everything you want with Sky Q - full epg, rewind, pause, record, movies on demand, all sports, add netflix, bt sport, control TV from single remote control. It will cost you €1400 per year approx. Nothing to stop people from buying it.

@keri

I think the vast majority of parents wouldn't want their kids accessing a smart phone to control their tv.

I have used Sky and the player/streaming service is poor with content having to be downloaded rather than streamed. Plus my freesat box has all channels in hd for free. With the iplayer and netflix on it as well you have the best streaming services out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

lsjmhar wrote: »
    You can get everything you want with Sky Q - full epg, rewind, pause, record, movies on demand, all sports, add netflix, bt sport, control TV from single remote control. It will cost you €1400 per year approx. Nothing to stop people from buying it.

........ ans not even a smilie to go along with that! :D:D

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

lsjmhar wrote:
    Nothing to stop people from buying it.

Except the 1400 a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

Is anybody having trouble with RTÉ One since the update? It’s fine when the box first boots, switch to satellite, switch back to Saorview and it’s breaking up every couple of seconds - basically unwatchable.

Qrt wrote:
    Is anybody having trouble with RTÉ One since the update? It’s fine when the box first boots, switch to satellite, switch back to Saorview and it’s breaking up every couple of seconds - basically unwatchable.

Qrt wrote:

No. Maybe it is ur aerial connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RPD

@ QRT.

This obviously should not be the case and we have not experienced this on any other box following the update. Can you send me a video clip of this fault happening to svc@shomar.ie ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Qrt

No. Maybe it is ur aerial connection?

Doubt it, it was fine beforehand and we have a relatively new outdoor aerial installed.

Amazon and Google look to have sorted their differences. Youtube coming to Fire tvs and Prime to chromecast and Android tv.

Amazon Prime Video is coming to Chromecast and Android TV, YouTube will head to Fire TV.
    https://9to5google.com/2019/04/18/amazon-prime-video-chromecast-android-tv/

The Android tv platform is very appealing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

RPD do not post on this thread again, you need to get in touch with the admins about a verified rep account

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

RPD,

When you report a moderators post to the mods, you have to realise that the mod concerned can read what you have said!

For information I am linking to the Boards.ie terms of service and would direct you specifically to paragraph 13.2 of same.

https://www.boards.ie/content/terms

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Loosehead

Recently purchased Saorview connect box in addition to existing Humax Freesat Box. However both remotes work on both boxes so if I delete a recording on saorview it will potentially delete recording on Freesat Humax box. Any suggestions as to how I might get around this other than manually turning off one of the boxes? Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Loosehead wrote: »
    Recently purchased Saorview connect box in addition to existing Humax Freesat Box. However both remotes work on both boxes so if I delete a recording on saorview it will potentially delete recording on Freesat Humax box. Any suggestions as to how I might get around this other than manually turning off one of the boxes? Thanks!
    Depending the model you should be able to change the code on Humax so it's only paired with it's remote.

Otherwise place the boxes far apart

you can also use polarising film , like from old calculators , on the remote and each of the receivers so you have to tilt it to work on the other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Loosehead wrote: »

Try this on the Humax.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/multi-code-function-hdhdr-remote-2

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Loosehead

Perfect, that Worked, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alpha77

Any one know if two channels can be recorded at the same time ie RTE and BBC?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Alpha77 wrote: »

I think the first tuner is for watching, the second for recording. At least, that was the information I got from the guy at the Connect stall at the Ideal Home at he RDS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The description is "watch one while recording another" which implies that only one channel can be recorded.

Which leads to another question...does live pause work on one channel while recording another

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Thanks a million.....Worked a treat.
    Having two boxes with same remote led to some interesting side effects, particularly around recording / deleting :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

keribillen wrote: »
    Hi,
    The box is technically able to access other satellites (EKT does this almost every day when testing the box at its sites across the world that cannot access Astra28) but there was no requirement for the end product to have a DiseqcUI within the satellite section. We guess there's not much demand for such a function but happy to be proven there is. We can then look at implementing it.

In other words its locked down in the proprietary software. It is only a list of transponders and sat positions after all.

Most TV's these days with DVB-S2 inputs have this function by default. And Diseqc too. Most STBs have multiple sat positions pre-programmed into them. I presume the reasoning to not include them was so the user didnt have to pick the satellite position by default as you had pre-programmed it for just 28.2. How's that working for the Saorsat channels which are at 9E. I am presuming its not Saorsat compatible so ?

Has anyone had a problem with recording. I recorded the Rome rule program on RTE One several weeks ago. When I went to watch the last ten minutes was missing. Also went to watch Bobby Sands 66 Days and the last 20 minutes was missing.

Has anyone found the recordings are cut off early? I have noted a similar difficulty on UKFTA!!

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The description is "watch one while recording another" which implies that only one channel can be recorded.

Which leads to another question...does live pause work on one channel while recording another

Hi, in terms of USB bandwidth, timeshift is like watching something and recording something else at same time. So recording something else on top of this isn’t possible. USB bandwidth is the limiting factor here. Best regards, Keri

STB. wrote: »
    In other words its locked down in the proprietary software. It is only a list of transponders and sat positions after all.

Most TV's these days with DVB-S2 inputs have this function by default. And Diseqc too. Most STBs have multiple sat positions pre-programmed into them. I presume the reasoning to not include them was so the user didnt have to pick the satellite position by default as you had pre-programmed it for just 28.2. How's that working for the Saorsat channels which are at 9E. I am presuming its not Saorsat compatible so ?

Hi, Saorsat compatibility was not required for this product. Best regards, Keri

Has anyone had a problem with recording. I recorded the Rome rule program on RTE One several weeks ago. When I went to watch the last ten minutes was missing. Also went to watch Bobby Sands 66 Days and the last 20 minutes was missing.

Has anyone found the recordings are cut off early? I have noted a similar difficulty on UKFTA!!

Really sorry to hear about this. I’m not sure what your issue could be caused by. Lack of disk space, incorrect broadcast event signalling or clashing recordings would be the first suspects but I guess you can rule out the first and third ones. The second one also seems unlikely given you’re getting problems with U.K. channels. Are you getting the U.K. channels over sat or from NI terrestrial signals? We’ll try tests to see whether we can replicate it, pre-launch tests didn’t show problems like this. Best regards, Keri

keribillen wrote: »

Really sorry to hear about this. I’m not sure what your issue could be caused by. Lack of disk space, incorrect broadcast event signalling or clashing recordings would be the first suspects but I guess you can rule out the first and third ones. The second one also seems unlikely given you’re getting problems with U.K. channels. Are you getting the U.K. channels over sat or from NI terrestrial signals? We’ll try tests to see whether we can replicate it, pre-launch tests didn’t show problems like this. Best regards, Keri

No problem. That is why I put the info up. To see if others had this issue and to let you know it has happened. The fact it has happened on two saorview recordings was my main issue as I thought this would be working better. I will check other recordings later and see if they are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 irishlenny

Qrt wrote: »

Hi - yeah I'm seeing same type of issue. Boots up - rte 1 sound skips a lot. Turn off box and start again fixes it. Also rte 2 doesn't tune in unless you go up to channel 3 and back to 2.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 irishlenny

Qrt wrote: »

Hi - yeah I'm seeing same type of issue. Boots up - rte 1 sound skips a lot. Turn off box and start again fixes it. Also rte 2 doesn't tune in unless you go up to channel 3 and back to 2.

Cheers

Advertisement