Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 sumach

I also recorded this program and it cut off short. Recording was 1h 10m long. according to RTE player the program is 71 mins long. There were about 2 mins adds before program started on recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

sumach wrote: »
    I also recorded this program and it cut off short. Recording was 1h 10m long. according to RTE player the program is 71 mins long. There were about 2 mins adds before program started on recording.

It appears there is an issue then. I thought daylight saving time may have been a factor as it did affect the recording on UKFTA side. Missed a recorsing by 1 hour. The software didn't adjust for the changeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 iirishsham40

I'd like to get the Saorview connect box to replace Sky HD.

I've had Sky HD for years, and only really watch RTE/BBC and the odd bit on Channel 4.

Does anyone know if I cancel the service, will Sky take the dish and box?

I don't care about the box, but I do need the dish for this Saorview system.

Has anyone got experience of doing this successfully?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I'd like to get the Saorview connect box to replace my Sky HD.

I've had my Sky HD for years, and only really watch RTE/BBC and the odd bit on Channel 4.

Does anyone know if I cancel the service, will Sky take the disk and box?

I don't care about the box, but I need the disk for this Saorview system.

Thanks.
    I presume you mean dish - not disk. The dish and box are yours as long as you are out of contract on Sky HD (for Sky Q, they'll want the box back). Note Saorview Connect requires an aerial for the Irish channels - the dish can be used for the UK channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

I'd like to get the Saorview connect box to replace Sky HD.

I've had Sky HD for years, and only really watch RTE/BBC and the odd bit on Channel 4.

Does anyone know if I cancel the service, will Sky take the dish and box?

I don't care about the box, but I do need the dish for this Saorview system.

Thanks.
    Note, while you keep box and dish, they disable recording, and playback of most recordings, and disable all non free channels including RTE. You can view BBC and a few other channels and the 7 day guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Can a sky dish be connected to the Connect box? I have it as a redundant second dish, does this mean I could use it for additional recording, given I already have one dish attached?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

AngryLips wrote: »
    Can a sky dish be connected to the Connect box? I have it as a redundant second dish, does this mean I could use it for additional recording, given I already have one dish attached?

There are two sat dish connections, plus an aerial connection which feeds both tuners. It also has ethernet for the internet. With the two sat connections plus the aerial, you can watch one channel and view the other.

AngryLips wrote:

You need an aerial for Irish channels. I put mine in my attic and works well. You just need to connect the wires from your sat dish for the UK channels. All sorted after that.

The box doesn't allow you to set a reminder when a recording is scheduled. I have UEFA Highlights (Virgin One) scheduled to record tonight. Tried to put reminder for The Good Fight (RTE1) but the box wants me to cancel recording to set reminder. That doesn't make sense!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

I've noticed in the saorview connect TV ad the on demand screen shows the latest version (new branding) of rte player. Although I've downloaded and installed the recording update on the box im still on the old version of the player. Is there anyway to force upgrade? Haven't tried the player on the connect box in a while but when I did it used to constantly freeze and throw errors (240mb wired connection directly from router).

• Advertisement

ChewyLuey wrote:
    I've noticed in the saorview connect TV ad the on demand screen shows the latest version (new branding) of rte player. Although I've downloaded and installed the recording update on the box im still on the old version of the player. Is there anyway to force upgrade? Haven't tried the player on the connect box in a while but when I did it used to constantly freeze and throw errors (240mb wired connection directly from router).

Same here. This needs an upgrade. TG4 player doesn't stream at all for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 sumach

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Same here. This needs an upgrade. TG4 player doesn't stream at all for me.

My son has a NowTv stick and the new RTÉ player has appeared on it. I have a Roku stick and no sign of it yet. TG4 player doesn't work on the Saorview Connect, And we still have the old RTÉ player.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Just installed the Saorview phone app. It's complaining of "no internet" with both WiFi and mobile data available.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. Just installed the Saorview phone app. It's complaining of "no internet" with both WiFi and mobile data available.

The connect box does this also and needs a reboot to sort it. This needs to be resolved also.

JDxtra wrote: »
    I presume you mean dish - not disk. The dish and box are yours as long as you are out of contract on Sky HD (for Sky Q, they'll want the box back). Note Saorview Connect requires an aerial for the Irish channels - the dish can be used for the UK channels.

To get the Irish channels, can I place and aeriel beside my Sky dish, and run the aeriel cable along the Sky dish cable path to my telly?

Would they interfere with each other?

If this is viable, and anyone has done it, can anyone recommend an aeriel to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

To get the Irish channels, can I place and aeriel beside my Sky dish, and run the aeriel cable along the Sky dish cable path to my telly?

If this is viable, and anyone has done it, can anyone recommend an aeriel to buy?

Depends on what transmitter you use but otherwise should be ok unless theres buildings or a lot of trees in the direction of the transmitter
    You mightnt need an outdoor aerial at all if signal is strong locally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You could even replace the existing LNB with one that combines the terrestrial signal from an aerial with the satellite signal. Then use a splitter at the TV end to split them back out. Saves running extra cable.

JDxtra wrote: »
    You could even replace the existing LNB with one that combines the terrestrial signal from an aerial with the satellite signal. Then use a splitter at the TV end to split them back out. Saves running extra cable.

Ooh, that's clever! :)

Thanks for that, sounds like an ideal summer project.

I'd be much obliged if anyone could recommend an LNB and cable kit/tools to do this job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ooh, that's clever! :)

Thanks for that, sounds like an ideal summer project.

I'd be much obliged if anyone could recommend an LNB and cable kit/tools to do this job.

http://www.satworld.ie/lnbs-and-lnb-holders/page-3/

Inverto Pro Quad Terrestrial LNB - cost is €25. They work well.

You put the aerial pointing at the transmitter, run the cable to the LNB, and then all four sat cables carry the UHF signal. The aerial cable can be quite long. Height helps the aerial, put it at eave level or higher, height is not necessary for the dish, and having it low down makes it easier to install, but you have it installed already.

At the TV, you use one of these. You could use these at the sat dish as well, but it would need to be weather proof. You could put these behind the TV and use a short pair of cables to connect to the TV. It gives a neat solution.

[I have no link to the seller]

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tod1982

Stupid question but what type of connector do I need for the aerial to go into the back of the Saorview box?
    I took the aerial wire out of the sky box but the wire is too small for the connection to the box.

Also when i plugged in the box, should it power up straight away or does it need to have the aerial feed connected. Nothing happened when i plugged in the box and pressed the on button

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

tod1982 wrote: »
    Stupid question but what type of connector do I need for the aerial to go into the back of the Saorview box?
    What make and model of box do you have?

its the Powerpoint DXD7025SVC saorview connect hybrid box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I took the aerial wire out of the sky box but the wire is too small for the connection to the box.
    You will require one of the coax connectors
    https://www.freetv.ie/coaxial-connectors-1s/

What type of connector is there at the moment? Is it a screw in type?

Thanks will try one of them so, yes its a screw in connector that is on it at the moment

Thanks will try one of them so, yes its a screw in connector that is on it at the moment

You could try one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In that case that cable is from a satellite dish and can be connected to the satellite input of the Connect box, the Irish channels require a dedicated cable from a terrestrial aerial.

You won't get the Irish channels via that connection with the Connect box.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 irishlenny

problem solved with factory reset if anyone else has this issue ..

irishlenny wrote: »
    problem solved with factory reset if anyone else has this issue ..

What problem is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Is it worth buying this box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

liam7831 wrote: »
    Is it worth buying this box?

I think it depends on what expectations you bring. It's a massive step up over regular terrestrial TV with many of the features of cable TV, but if you're expecting it to match cable TV then you will find it lacking in some areas. For me, it has been really worth it. Only added recording today and it's worked out really well. I feel like it's the complete package now, it's still missing live rewind but, for a free product, I can live with that.

Advertisement