Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

STB. wrote: »
    I doubt its a brand problem. Judder and dropped frames is more likely because:

• The read/write speed speed is too low on the HDD,
    • or the read/write speed is borderline trying to do too much (say for example if timeshift is turned on at the same time as playback)
    • or a fussy os requiring specific formatting (e.g. exFAT)
    • or the inability to process large files over a certain size (HD channels) due to available mem
    • or indeed the the firmware controlling same.

Could also be bad sectors or fragmented drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hoagy wrote:
    I would try recording HD onto a memory stick and if that works then a powered USB hub might sort it.

Hoagy wrote:
    It could be that the USB power on the box is marginal and your particular drive is taking a little too much current.

Hoagy wrote:
    When combo boxes came out first the advice then was always to use a self powered hard drive. Modern boxes don't seem to need them any more.

Hoagy wrote:
    I doubt that, Seagate are a premium brand.

Cheers. That makes sense. I assume that recordings require more power than sd?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nmb2010

Has anyone had any issues with connect box seeing external drive capacity. Bought a new 4TB usb 3.0 drive. Formatted it when asked. It was failing recording anything more than 1 HD show. When I went into the settings I noticed that it stated the capacity was 120 mb. Tried reformatting again in settings, but no luck. Any ideas appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tod1982

Looking for a bit of help!!!

got a saorview connect box but having trouble tuning in the Irish channels
    Aerial on the roof and have 2 connections on the wall

1 says TV/FM and the other Sat (image attached)

currently have Sky and connection is to the TV/FM socket - prior to sky I used this to receive the Irish channel directly to the tv but when i connect this to the saorview box and scan for channels it doesnt find any

I tried connecting the box to the other socket Sat and this found some channels Rte1, Rte2+1, Virgin3 but not all channels. Quality was also poor

Would anyone know why i cant find the channels? Could it be to do with the aerial? Have sky for about 6 years and havent used the aerial in that time

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Your cables are wrongly labelled (the installer put them through the wrong hole in the tv/sat socket box)
    The one on the left of the photo is the satellite cable. The other one is your saorview.

• Advertisement

ok, thanks
    I thought before sky I had the connection for the aerial on the left one, maybe not
    Is there a reason then that I cant get all the Irish Channels when before I used to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tod1982 wrote: »
    currently have Sky and connection is to the TV/FM socket - prior to sky I used this to receive the Irish channel directly to the tv but when i connect this to the saorview box and scan for channels it doesnt find any

I tried connecting the box to the other socket Sat and this found some channels Rte1, Rte2+1, Virgin3 but not all channels. Quality was also poor

Would anyone know why i cant find the channels? Could it be to do with the aerial? Have sky for about 6 years and havent used the aerial in that time

Don't worry about the labelling on the wallplate, the satellite connection is the one with the F-connector (left-hand) which you currently use for Sky, the other cable with the female co-ax plug is to the aerial,

After 6 years of non-use and a weak Soarview signal I would look to the aerial and/or cable connection to aerial where the fault lies, if you can't sort it yourself get an installer in.

ok, thanks
    I thought before sky I had the connection for the aerial on the left one, maybe not
    Is there a reason then that I cant get all the Irish Channels when before I used to?

Rte 1 and rte 2 are on different multiplexers (muxes). I think your tv has scanned in all the available channels on one mux and you are missing the channels on the other.

Go to https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage and check which transmitter is closest to you. It may then give you info on tuning.

Some lads here know more but different transmitters are tuned in on different channels (a separate thing to channel numbers on your tv).

E.g. if you are in Glasnevin, the following applies.
    Transmitter
    SITE INFORMATION
    Site:THREE ROCK
    Site On-Air:Yes
    Channels: 30, 33

Most modern tvs should automatically scan in all the channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭decor58

tod1982 wrote:

Sorry but could you record on your sky service, if so both cables could be connected to your dish, are there two connections on your dish. Where is your aerial connected to the cable at the outlet, you may be picking up Saorview through the cable resulting in a poor signal.

yes, i have record functionality on sky - the installer at the time put in a new cable which runs directly from the dish to the sky box.
    He then has the other cable from the wall connected to the sky box also

I connected the aerial to the tv instead of the saorview box and this picked up the other irish channels rte2, virgin one etc but not the channels the saorview box picked up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I connected the aerial to the tv instead of the saorview box and this picked up the other irish channels rte2, virgin one etc but not the channels the saorview box picked up

Your Saorview signal appears to borderline, an installer can determine where the fault lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Currently have a freesat box and a saorview TV...

This connect box looks like it offers both with recording function. Is that correct?

What's the SAT epg like? Is it 7 day? Can you do series link? etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

lawred2 wrote: »
    Currently have a freesat box and a saorview TV...

This connect box looks like it offers both with recording function. Is that correct?

What's the SAT epg like? Is it 7 day? Can you do series link? etc

You need to read the thread as this is the boxes biggest failing, it only has now and next satellite epg and no series link on satellite so is no good for future recordings from satellite unless you like configuring manual recording timers. The connect does not update channel frequency changes like a Freesat box

You should look at the Tiviar Alpha or other Enigma combo boxes that do all this once you get them configured initially (about an hour for sometime who's pc savvy)
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057827739/11/#post106783394

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You need to read the thread as this is the boxes biggest failing, it only has now and next satellite epg and no series link on satellite so is no good for future recordings from satellite unless you like configuring manual recording timers. The connect does not update channel frequency changes like a Freesat box

You should look at the Tiviar Alpha or other Enigma combo boxes that do all this once you get them configured initially (about an hour for sometime who's pc savvy)
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057827739/11/#post106783394

fair enough - I'm sure it's been covered but at the same time the thread is 190 something pages long and I'm sure Connect has evolved since the first iteration... Sometimes it's just hard to know where to start reading from..

I've seen the Tiviar Alpha and I've been following that thread on here. I'll prob lean to getting that set up when I could be bothered dumping my old AA2 with Enigma2

Yeah everyone expected it to get better but it's a failure for the reasons posted above. It's a pity, because it looks like decent hardware being held back by red tape

Stick to what you have.

I have a humax freesat box and LG smart tv and it fulfills all my needs. I have an external hard drive connected to the tv to record saorview, pause and rewind tv.

The LG tv remote can be set up with quick access keys, so
    Long press 1 for saorview
    Long press 2 for freesat.

Easy peasy.

I previously thought the connect box was best suited to a bedroom where recording wouldn't be needed as much but in truth you would be better off buying a smaller lg smart tv. With all its apps it solves a lot of problems. The only apps the connect box has are the rte and tg4 players, neither offering live tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

I'm getting an error when I try to use the on demand on saorview connect. Anyone know how to fix this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Yeah everyone expected it to get better but it's a failure for the reasons posted above. It's a pity, because it looks like decent hardware being held back by red tape

I don't know about this. I'm happy with my set-up, I guess it depends on the expectation you bring to it.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I don't know about this. I'm happy with my set-up, I guess it depends on the expectation you bring to it.

Yes probably good enough for some but the lack of the 7-day EPG means it can never be described as an alternative to the Freesat box

Which external hard drive are people using with the connect box and how is it working for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Which external hard drive are people using with the connect box and how is it working for them.

Soarview reccomend USB 3.0 if if you have one for less chance of skipping or issues recording. Also avoid SSD, not sure why they would be an issues. Maybe the software isn't campatable. I have a 320gb western digital hard drive laying about so I'll see what that a like when I set it up this weekend. Not going to buy a new hd just for the sake of it

Soarview reccomend USB 3.0 if if you have one for less chance of skipping or issues recording. Also avoid SSD, not sure why they would be an issues. Maybe the software isn't campatable. I have a 320gb western digital hard drive laying about so I'll see what that a like when I set it up this weekend. Not going to buy a new hd just for the sake of it

Thanks so USB 3.0 and HDD are the criteria, the make shouldn't matter.

No SSD as they have limited writes and are never used for continuous recordings

Have saorview connect launched remote recording via the app yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Have saorview connect launched remote recording via the app yet?

They have but it was crap, eventually became in usable. Wint even open for anyine now so it seems they have either lost interest or funding to get it working

The new RTE player is to be launched on the connect box shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The new RTE player is to be launched on the connect box shortly.

Finally. How does that get pushed out? Does an app update require a software update?

You will shortly see a new software download version 20.19 this is in preparation for the new player release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

You will shortly see a new software download version 20.19 this is in preparation for the new player release.

Hopefully they will add 7 day epg and series link to UK sat side. They will probably add nowtv and eir sport app also. Really looking forward to this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Hopefully they will add 7 day epg and series link to UK sat side. They will probably add nowtv and eir sport app also. Really looking forward to this!!!
    And TG4 will be in HD, and Saorsat won't block repeats and sports events, and the RTE player won't have issues with ads, and ... and ...

If the BBC and ITV were happy enough to allow the full EPG they could have been selling truck loads of Freesat boxes here for the last 11 years.

I've had Saorsat on a Freesat box, grand for watching, but recording was hit and miss because it swapped in and out of non-Freesat mode.

Advertisement