Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 World Cup

• 16-09-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well create a superthread as this is going to rage on for the next 9 years! :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24114961
    The 2022 World Cup in Qatar must switch to winter, according to Fifa's own medical chief.

Michel D'Hooghe, the chairman of the Fifa's medical committee, will advise that the risks posed to supporters by extreme heat are too great.

Ridiculous that their bid even got to the voting stage if thats the case. A Winter WC wont be accepted in Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dempsey wrote: »
    Might as well create a superthread as this is going to rage on for the next 9 years! :pac:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24114961

Ridiculous that their bid even got to the voting stage if thats the case. A Winter WC wont be accepted in Europe.

Overall, i cant see it going ahead. I see the bid going to someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's time for someone in FIFA to have the balls to say enough is enough and go ahead and switch it to the US.
    There are so many things wrong with the Qatar proposal it's laughable

Whether someone will or not is another thing, but the fact that a winter one is being talked about is positive in the sense that they are not blindly ignoring the fact and ploughing ahead with a summer one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

listermint wrote: »
    Overall, i cant see it going ahead. I see the bid going to someone else.

More to the point, sice when did FIFA care about the supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It's time for someone in FIFA to have the balls to say enough is enough and go ahead and switch it to the US.

Why the US?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Really hope it doesn't move to Winter. It's a stupid idea, and will mess with the existing calendar far too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It will be changed to winter, too much mega rich people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is it fair to assume that in years to come there will be investigations into the decision to award Quatar the WC.

Token resignations.... Payoffs intact.

I say this as there are no rational reasons why that country shoild get the award.
    I spent a month there a couple of years ago.

They could host it.... I think they shouldnt.

Also.... The WC will go ahead as planned.
    FIFA will not want to change their mind.... It will make them lose face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

JPA wrote: »
    It will be changed to winter, too much mega rich people involved.

Its effecting too many of Europes Super Clubs, i dont see it happening.

listermint wrote: »
    Its effecting too many of Europes Super Clubs, i dont see it happening.

It will happen, the club's have already agreed to discuss it, their stance is softening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

It will happen, the club's have already agreed to discuss it, their stance is softening.

Whats in it for the clubs? The only reason I can see them changing it is to give them a financial incentive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If they move it somewhere else, FIFA will face the mother of all lawsuits, considering stadium/infrastructure building has already started in Qatar.

It'll be moved to the Winter, with likely a few private backhanders from FIFA to leagues, be they financial or favours.

Paleface wrote: »
    Whats in it for the clubs? The only reason I can see them changing it is to give them a financial incentive.

They'll do what they're told. Sponsorship will be threatened etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

They'll do what they're told. Sponsorship will be threatened etc

How will club sponsors be threatened?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If they move it somewhere else, FIFA will face the mother of all lawsuits, considering stadium/infrastructure building has already started in Qatar.

It'll be moved to the Winter, with likely a few private backhanders from FIFA to leagues, be they financial or favours.

I don't think much has progressed in terms of actual work on the ground. They had done a lot of planning etc. but sacked the Architectural firm after spending millions in fees and got another company in to take up the reins.

The metro is going to kick off but that was always going to go ahead with or without the WC as their public transport system is non existent and needs to be developed if they want to be considered a business hub and attract outside investment.

They'd be able to claim damages but mostly for what they incurred since award. Anything before that would be the cost of developing their proposal is part of the bidding process.

Haven't heard much in the last 6 months but nothing about any stadium construction kicking off as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It won't move country. They won't want to back down on something that has gotten so much publicity.

Personally, I don't see a problem with having it in the winter. Loads of notice so leagues can start to adjust their calendars year by year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Can't wait. Only about 3,500 days left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Why the US?

Runners up in the 'vote'

How will club sponsors be threatened?

Because many of the sponsors of the World cup and of clubs are the same. Sponsors and FIFA go hand in hand so they will be working together to make sure it is on.

Because many of the sponsors of the World cup and of clubs are the same. Sponsors and FIFA go hand in hand so they will be working together to make sure it is on.

adidas/emirates would be the most common official WC partner than would also be involved with clubs. Clubs are the cash cows for them, not the other way around. Clubs will get sponsorship from elsewhere if they tried to force them to into a footballing decision they didnt want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think this could be the straw that breaks the camels back in regard to International football if they do try to proceed with it. There is not a hope in hell that the Premier League will allow the season to be suspended during the xmas/new year period.

In regard to lower league football, the FA are extremely precious about the football league. I would imagine the proposal would be for the EPL and Championship to suspend games and League 1/League 2 will go on. There is not a hope in hell the FA would allow something like that to happen. Sky couldnt even show El Classico to be shown last season as it was a 3pm kick off. If they did stop League 1/League 2 and Conference games, a lot of clubs would be in a perilous position in regard to paying the bills.

I would imagine the Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh would be very against the idea too. A winter WC would not be much of a bother to the FAI.

In the whole, I doubt the Scandinavian countries and a few Eastern European countries would be against moving it. The same with the South Americans and the USA. Although it would be very hard to get TV coverage if the WC goes ahead in December or January in America with the NFL play offs at that time. Unless the USA are doing well it would be a case of "who the hell cares".

All in all, it doesnt matter how a lot of the associations feel on it. If the EPL makes a full stance to say games will continue then the clubs will have to win. To have such a multi-national league like the EPL to say No, then the WC would be a farce. If Real Madrid/Barcelona say no then again it would be a farce.

The clubs will dictate on whether a WC will go ahead in Qatar or in the Winter and rightfully so.

• Advertisement

I'd love if it was given to England tbh. Quality tournament on our doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Neil3030 wrote: »

If it's moved to winter, the losing bidders have already said they'll take legal action as the bidding process was geared towards a summer WC.

Why the US?

Everything I'd already in place to host it, stadiums, transport, media etc
    So it's the perfect "short notice" host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Michel D'Hooghe, the chairman of the Fifa's medical committee, will advise that the risks posed to supporters by extreme heat are too great.

Why wasn't he asked his opinion before they made the highly dubious decision to give Qatar the World Cup (and to play it in their Summer in totally unsuitable temperatures?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I think this could be the straw that breaks the camels back in regard to International football if they do try to proceed with it. There is not a hope in hell that the Premier League will allow the season to be suspended during the xmas/new year period.

In regard to lower league football, the FA are extremely precious about the football league. I would imagine the proposal would be for the EPL and Championship to suspend games and League 1/League 2 will go on. There is not a hope in hell the FA would allow something like that to happen. Sky couldnt even show El Classico to be shown last season as it was a 3pm kick off. If they did stop League 1/League 2 and Conference games, a lot of clubs would be in a perilous position in regard to paying the bills.

I would imagine the Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh would be very against the idea too. A winter WC would not be much of a bother to the FAI.

In the whole, I doubt the Scandinavian countries and a few Eastern European countries would be against moving it. The same with the South Americans and the USA. Although it would be very hard to get TV coverage if the WC goes ahead in December or January in America with the NFL play offs at that time. Unless the USA are doing well it would be a case of "who the hell cares".

All in all, it doesnt matter how a lot of the associations feel on it. If the EPL makes a full stance to say games will continue then the clubs will have to win. To have such a multi-national league like the EPL to say No, then the WC would be a farce. If Real Madrid/Barcelona say no then again it would be a farce.

The clubs will dictate on whether a WC will go ahead in Qatar or in the Winter and rightfully so.
    Fox bought the US rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups for $425 million and they are opposing any move to winter, precisely as you say they would clash with the NFL.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-16/fox-said-to-oppose-fifa-plan-to-reschedule-2022-soccer-world-cup.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The losing bids will sue, the media companies will sue, it will start to get sticky and the potential losses will force a venue move, then the Qataris will sue. The whole ME region will be severly pi3sed off as they will lose "their" WC.

Nothing good will come of this blatter balls up...except for some corrupt individuals bank accounts swelling hugely. FIFA are out of control and seemingly no one can reign them in, certainly not Platini and UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24160879

Uefa's 54 member associations have given their backing to moving the Qatar World Cup in 2022 to winter after agreeing it cannot take place in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Uefa's 54 member associations have given their backing to moving the Qatar World Cup in 2022 to winter after agreeing it cannot take place in summer.

We could have a world cup final on Christmas Day :eek: :(

The best part about the World Cup is being out in the street and local beer gardens with fans from other countries, chilling in the sun and having some banter. That is not going to happen with a winter world cup, most people will probably stay at home instead of going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I am pie wrote: »
    The losing bids will sue, the media companies will sue, it will start to get sticky and the potential losses will force a venue move, then the Qataris will sue. The whole ME region will be severly pi3sed off as they will lose "their" WC.

Losing bids won't sue as they have no realistic case despite uninformed hyperbolic headlines on SSN.
    Media companies will be offered their money back, but most will agree to the new time slot as February is more of a primetime slot for revenue anyway than July so they will be getting a better deal.
    If any don't want the new slot then rights bidding can be re-opened, no problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

It's just mind boggling!! And all to do with Money in the pockets of corrupt FIFA members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whilst playing it in summer there would be stupid, moving it to winter will mean leagues like Greece and Turkey will end up playing football in their summer which isn't ideal for them either. It really should be moved, playing it in winter isn't a good solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as a neutral the bid should have gone to England - but Sepp Blatter is more anti English than the Irish used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That was a lot easier than I expected. Thought it would take longer to convince so many parties but it seems not. They need to decide when it is happening now so leagues can start planning changes over time. Do it bit by bit and most people won't even notice.

Yea, I'm very surprised that UEFA's members softened so easy considering the effect they said it would have on their fixtures for 3-4 years! There is an awful bang of corruption off this u-turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

fans need to boycott the clubs, but they won't because humans are sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It won't move country. They won't want to back down on something that has gotten so much publicity.

Personally, I don't see a problem with having it in the winter. Loads of notice so leagues can start to adjust their calendars year by year.

it is not going to be that simple though is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I would rather have WC 2014 held in the winter, our winter.

Summer in Brazil makes much better shots of the spectators during matches i dont care about than they will in the Brazilian winter.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

will anyone really care about international soccer by then anyway?

EdenHazard wrote: »
    fans need to boycott the clubs, but they won't because humans are sheep

Not because they are sheep but because people like to go out and watch sports or enjoy it in other ways

At the end of the day how big a deal is a WC in winter going to be to me, you or anyone else who enjoys watching he game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

At the end of the day how big a deal is a WC in winter going to be to me, you or anyone else who enjoys watching he game

You... not much is suppose.
    Me... dont care either because i rather watch at home by myself or with people whose opinion on football i value.

But... there is also this:
    wk2010.fans.rotterdam.finale.oranje.425.jpg

And that will be a whole lot harder to get with -10 in the winter in Holland.
    This was the day of WC2010 final

And it was the same for the semis/quarter finals. I am prettu sure the pubs and the likes in Holland arent too happy with a WC in the winter.

Yea, I'm very surprised that UEFA's members softened so easy considering the effect they said it would have on their fixtures for 3-4 years! There is an awful bang of corruption off this u-turn.

The whole thing is corrupt since day one, don't be surprised.

inforfun wrote: »
    You... not much is suppose.
    Me... dont care either because i rather watch at home by myself or with people whose opinion on football i value.

But... there is also this:
    wk2010.fans.rotterdam.finale.oranje.425.jpg

And that will be a whole lot harder to get with -10 in the winter in Holland.
    This was the day of WC2010 final

And it was the same for the semis/quarter finals. I am prettu sure the pubs and the likes in Holland arent too happy with a WC in the winter.

I'm sure some bright spark will come up with a way of doing it indoors and still manage to sell plenty of booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I don't care whether it is Winter or Summer , 50 degrees or minus 50. Qatar should not have that world cup.

Australia should have got it. If not, England.

Both have track records for holding recent Olympics with great success.

Qatar has previous experience in hosting....hmm..errr.

Fan experience has to count for something, even if it winter, can people drink alcohol if they want? Can they sing and cheer in the streets, can there be a carnival atmosphere we associate with the world cup. I think it will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

thebaz wrote: »
    as a neutral the bid should have gone to England - but Sepp Blatter is more anti English than the Irish used to be.
    I am pie wrote: »
    I don't care whether it is Winter or Summer , 50 degrees or minus 50. Qatar should not have that world cup.

Australia should have got it. If not, England.

England didn't bid for 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

The construction workers building the stadia for 2022 are already suffering from the conditions in Qatar. 32 dead in July alone:

http://dohanews.co/post/58898402174/official-qatar-sees-record-number-of-nepalese-deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The construction workers building the stadia for 2022 are already suffering from the conditions in Qatar. 32 dead in July alone:

http://dohanews.co/post/58898402174/official-qatar-sees-record-number-of-nepalese-deaths

That's unreal. Horrible to see so many healthy people dying because they are working in torrid conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi Richard, the FA or the EPL are small dogs at the decision making table on this one. They can do or say what they like and be as put out about it as they want to be - but if FIFA and UEFA say it's being held during the Winter and players are to be released accordingly then that is exactly what will happen.

Advertisement