Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inquest and evidence of alcohol in system

• 16-09-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭

I find the following two sentences a little contradictory and was wondering if someone might be able to explain it to me.

I'm deleting the name of the person because it's not really relevant, but it's from an inquest published in the Irish Indo today:

She [Pathologist at local hospital] also read out toxicology reports which revealed all four had alcohol in their systems at the time of the crash. **********, who was identified by Gardaí as the driver, had a blood alcohol reading of 314mgs, she said.
    However, there was no evidence given of the four men consuming alcohol before the crash. The inquest found all four men had died as a result of injuries consistent with a road traffic collision.

Does the report imply that the driver could have a reading that high and not have been drinking immediately before the crash and that therefore it wouldn't have as much effect? I know the level of proof is different in an inquest but this seems to imply that the alcohol in the drivers system did not have any impact on the cause of the crash, which just seems odd to me but it might be down to my lack of knowledge as to how inquests work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

All the report says is that there was evidence of drink in the blood. But and an important but, there was no evidence presented of the people having consumed drink. In other words a witness did not give evidence of them having taken drink.

The start of the report states drink was the cause, "A LETHAL combination of drink and speed led to the deaths of three brothers and their friend in last year, Coroner Brian Mahon told an inquest in Offaly today."

Advertisement