Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

boat question

• 16-09-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all.

I don’t know if this sounds abit of the wall, but here goes. In a few years when I’m retired I was thinking of getting a small boat, maybe a Shetland 570 or something similar. I should be using it in Ireland’s inland waterways but I would like to take it onto England’s canal system and if this proves successful eventually onto the European waterways. Is there any rules and regulations that wouldallow or prohibit me from sailing across the Irish Sea from Dublin to Liverpool to join the canal system there. I know I can take the boat onto the ferry but that would defeat the purchase of having aboat and prove very boring

If I were topurchase a Shetland 570 what kind of car would I need to tow it? At the minuteI have a 1400cc engine car and I may need to upgrade this if requirements dictate.

Any help thatcould be given would be gratefully appreciated.

Mal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Try posting your question in the sailing and boating forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=393

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

The Shetlands are great for inshore, or lake use, but cant see it being a comfortable, or safe boat to take across the Irish sea. Its a 200km trip. It would probably make more economic sense to tow it over on the ferry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moved from Galway --> Sailing and Boating.

You'll get better answers here OP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

airsoftone might be your man to talk to on this but I would would not like to be taking an 570 across the irish sea unless it was on a ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

its been done in kayaks all depends on weather.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

davlacey wrote: »
    its been done in kayaks all depends on weather.

And your backup boat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

your v8 would be better 1 hour crossing ill come for the spin and give you petrol money:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I agree with fergal and wouldn't like to take a 570 across the pond either, but each to their own.
    You'll have to upgrade the car too, maybe even to a 4x4 as the 570 is a big enough lump to be hauling out and up a slipway, and the clutch in a 1.4 wouldn't last too long i reckon.
    Any ideas of the weight?
    I'm nearly sure you're are only legally allow pull 3500 kg over here with a car licence and that includes car and trailer. If you have and EB licence it's 3500kg trailer only i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 malhiggins

Morning all.

Many thanks for the information and I have to think about this for a while. I have just discovered this broads website and having been following the tale of a "boat restoration" done several years ago by DNME. I have been really impressed by the helpfulness and advice provided by the people on this website.

Happy sailing everyone.

Mal

Hi.

On reflection maybe I should leave the channel crossing to the ferries. I have just bought a Rover 45 (2400-2500 lbs) and I would use it to tow a trailer. Its towing weight is 2200 lbs and the weight of a Shetland is 1350 lbs minus the weight of the boat trailer, so as breghall suggests I would need to change the car. Would the Shetland 535 be a lighter boat suitable for canal/river usage and are they available second hand as money is tight.

Mal

• Advertisement

I think the 535 comes in at around 1200 lb then you add the trailer your outboard and any gear that you will be carrying. There are a few shetlands here http://www.donedeal.ie/find/boats/for-sale/Ireland/shetland?filter%28max_price%29=Max+Price&filter%28min_price%29=Min+Price&source=all there is also a good forum if you do get one http://www.shetlandboats.co.uk/
    Do you plan on towing it around or leaving it on the water, if you leave it on the water you could get the boat you want and just have someone with a 4x4 to launch it for you.:)

Thanks for the link to done deal and I’m thinking of having a look at the Shetland family four sometime today. At the minute I’m stuck for choices if possible I could keep it in the driveway which is very large, but then again I’m about 2 minutes’ drive from Lake Corrib, Galway and there are several berths. I never really thought about getting someone to do the towing for me. It’s amazing how many things you have to consider just putting a boat in the water.

Advertisement