Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PE Teaching

Options
  • 16-09-2013 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi
    I know i won't get 490 points (aiming for 400) for the course and was wondering what are my other options? Any help is appreciated as my career guidance teacher in school is terrible haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There is a course in Health and Leisure in Tralee IT (Level 7), with the option of going on to do Level 8 1 year add on (teaching qualification) afterwards to become a PE teacher rather than going the route of PE teaching degree. Two of my former students are in the course in Tralee having done PLC course in Sports and Recreation first. The PLC is not an entry requirement for the course, you can apply directly through the CAO with your Leaving Cert points.

Points for Health and Leisure in Tralee this year were 295

http://www.ittralee.ie/en/InformationAbout/Courses/SchoolofHealthandSocialScience/HealthLeisureStudies/TL771-BScHealthLeisure/

http://www.ittralee.ie/en/InformationAbout/Courses/SchoolofHealthandSocialScience/HealthLeisureStudies/BScHONSPhysicalEducationStudies/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm assuming people going this route would be restricted to PE, though, RBT?

Unlike the UL course which qualifies people to teach PE and a second subject?

I'm assuming people going this route would be restricted to PE, though, RBT?

Unlike the UL course which qualifies people to teach PE and a second subject?

Ya as far as I know they would only have PE, no second subject

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ya as far as I know they would only have PE, no second subject
    Still an option for someone passionate enough about PE, but something to be aware of.

Someone may be happy to teach PE all day at 21 ... by 51 that passion may have worn off a bit!! :pac:

Plus many schools will prefer a PE teacher to have another teaching subject.

Yes it is hard to get full hours with PE unless it's a very big school and schools typically only have 1 PE teacher. In a small school the PE teacher will have other classes as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Superbock26

Heya You have a second subject from Tralee it's sphe or cspe one of those ones and can add a subject when you go to UL to finish out your h dip. Also if half way through your course you decide PE isn't where you want to be you can do other things ie sports development, fit pro, apa, you will also have done ADapted physical activity which is huge when job hunting ! Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 celbridge33

any advice on IT Tralee like if i do the level 8 and then do a masters for 2 years can i teach pe and another subject ? Thanks

Advertisement