Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent butchers in Dublin

Options
  • 16-09-2013 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I figured this is probably a better spot to put this thread than in the Dublin forum as you guys probably know more about what makes a good butcher.

I work in the city centre and live in Dublin 24 so anywhere near the two areas or on route in between would be great.

All the butchers I've encountered since moving here are pretty much super market butchers that stock repacked stuff out on the shelves.

Looking for a proper butchers that stores the carcasses out back and cuts them up as needed etc. I know it's a dying trade but I'm hoping some still exist and I'm just not looking hard enough.

I went looking for a shoulder of pork a while back and all I could find anywhere was a pork loin that I'm fairly sure just came straight out of a vacuum pack. I wanted to make pulled pork. I ended up using the loin and the fatty bits turned out great but there wasn't a hope of the lean bits pulling apart.

Seen in another thread on the front page here that beef shoulder works great in stews. I'd love to try that out but wouldn't have a clue where to look for that cut of beef.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

F X Buckley's on Moore St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Alun wrote: »
    F X Buckley's on Moore St.?
    ennis butcher in rialto.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

uberwolf wrote: »
    ennis butcher in rialto.

+1. Fantastic spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP, as your query on butchers is location-specific it is better suited to the Dublin City forum. You should get plenty of good advice for the posters here.

If you want info on how to cook the cuts of meat that you are looking for, then Cooking & Recipes forum is the place to post.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Tony Martin & Sons just next to Paddy Power at the top of Meath St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Frank's Pork Shop on Camden St....lovely man working there and I've always got good quality meat from him, and for reasonable prices.
    The shop isn't much to look at from the outside but it does the trick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Lawlors in rathmines is great. All their pork is free range

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Peakins on South Circular Road/Leonards Corner :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

Second for Dunnes of Donnybrook - his pork is amazing - his pork shoulder is about €12 and feeds hordes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

FX Buckley's have a factory shop in Greenogue Industrial Estate, Rathcoole, off the Naas Road. They would do ideal cuts for pulled pork (butt, shoulder etc.). Look for the queues of Eastern European folk, who know a bargain when they see one.
    Here's a map of where they are. Excellent prices.
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=14779

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

For any Northsiders; I find Bradys very good. They have a weekly text they send you offers too and some of them are very good. Half price Fillet Steak crops up now and again. They've shops in Drumcondra and Fairview.

There's a place in the Omni too that I've heard good reviews of; the name escapes me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Shane Mahon's on Manor street.

Wife says he's a looker too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Doyles on Pearse Streett.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Doyles on Pearse Streett.
    Really? I've only shopped in there once or twice but wasnt impressed by the quality of the meat.

My preferred spot is Clyne's in Ringsend, wonderful service and the meat is brilliant. Nothing prepacked, only marinaded cuts and cheaper cuts predone, others are straight off the cut when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Crash wrote: »
    Really? I've only shopped in there once or twice but wasnt impressed by the quality of the meat.

My preferred spot is Clyne's in Ringsend, wonderful service and the meat is brilliant. Nothing prepacked, only marinaded cuts and cheaper cuts predone, others are straight off the cut when asked.

Agree with Clyne's in Ringsend, better then that rip of merchant in Sandymount

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taz96

ooh..well I dunno where Manor Street is, as I don't live in Ireland...but..I'll be investigating in anticipation of my next visit .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taz96

Only one I've use is FX Buckley..to bring home white pudding.

Advertisement