Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renters Insurance

Options
  • 16-09-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Can someone please help me out. I took out the highest level of cover with backpackers insurance for my J1 year in Texas. In the last few weeks I moved into my new apt and the management company are making it compulsory for tenants to take out renters insurance...however I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on more cover when I feel from reading the policy schedule that I have it covered on my backpackers policy already.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The_Poznan wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Can someone please help me out. I took out the highest level of cover with backpackers insurance for my J1 year in Texas. In the last few weeks I moved into my new apt and the management company are making it compulsory for tenants to take out renters insurance...however I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on more cover when I feel from reading the policy schedule that I have it covered on my backpackers policy already.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers,

What does your backpackers coverage cover? Is it just your property or does it cover liability also?

Renters insurance covers your personal property as well as liability coverage for anything that may happen to anyone visiting your apartment.......we have it through state farm and it only costs $15.50 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

When we rented it was mandatory to have renters insurance. Check your policy and forward a copy to the management company and see if they accept it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Mandatory in my last apt complex too. It covers you (and them) and them if some one is hurt or injured in your apt. It also means that in the event of fire/theft etc you get your personal possessions replaced by the insurance policy, so won't be so broke replacing them, that you can't afford to pay your rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

What does your backpackers coverage cover? Is it just your property or does it cover liability also?

Renters insurance covers your personal property as well as liability coverage for anything that may happen to anyone visiting your apartment.......we have it through state farm and it only costs $15.50 per month

We pay double that, but that is because we live in an earthquake zone (though friends that live in the same neighborhood but a different kind of bedroock pay 60 a month)

Our place needed it as well, and to be honest it is a great idea. We went with state farm, and got a deal to insure our cat as well

Advertisement