Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie/Apocolypse literature recommendations?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.
    Don't post much around these parts but I'm looking for some new reading material and figured here would be a good place to ask around.
    I'm looking for some good zombie fiction-be it comedy, drama, abject horror or a mixture of all three.
    I've read most of Max Brooks' stuff and I'm currently rediscovering David Wellington's "Monster" trilogy but I find there's a noted lack of zombie-themed books in my local bookstore.
    Any recommendations?

Bonus points if said recommendations are available for the Kindle! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hey, you could try a few of these though the list is far from complete it's a good start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Thanks! I'll take a gander. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

pride prejudice & Zombies is fairly funny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Ive quite enjoyed the day by day Armageddon series so far by J L Bourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Ok you might be sorry you asked, I have an extensive list and am liable to go on and on. I have a kindle and read lots of independently published books some were rubbish but I also found some real gems.

First off I recommend you try the zombie fallout series by mark Tufo, there are six books and another been written as we speak.
    Area 187 by Eric lowther is fantastic, it tells the story about a segment of the US that was sectioned off after a zombie apocalypse, the people inside had no way out and were left to their own devices while the rest of their country got on with their lives.
    There are two recently printed walking dead NOVELS by jay bonansinga and Robert kirkman.

The surviving the dead series by James Cook is excellent.
    Mountain man by Keith c Blackmore.

Into the badlands by Brian J. Jarrett,

I have just given what I consider to be the top reads out of the hundreds I have read between this and the other list you were linked to you have lots of good recommendations, happy reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ive quite enjoyed the day by day Armageddon series so far by J L Bourne.

What did you think of the third book? Felt it fell away badly compared to the previous two books.

Yea, The third book was a little weak especially at the end but I am still looking forward to the next one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Ex-heroes, Ex-patriots, and ex-communication by Peter Clines

Ex-heroes, Ex-patriots, and ex-communication by Peter Clines

Looks like Ive found what Ill be reading next after Emperor of thrones

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

apacalypse z the beginning of the end by manel louretro is pretty good. the second one isnt bad either but i prefer the 1st ones style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Charlie Higson's The Enemy series is fantastic in my opinion. Definitely give it a look.

Just finished ex-hero's. Good superhero zombie mashup. Not a literary masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but a fun read nonetheless. Currently on EX-PATRIOTS, the second book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Just finished ex-hero's. Good superhero zombie mashup. Not a literary masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but a fun read nonetheless. Currently on EX-PATRIOTS, the second book.

Wait until you get to book three

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

There is a post apocalypto book club in London and they have a list of all their books that they have read/ recommend etc so have a google of them and you will find some http://post-apocalypticbookclub.co.uk/reading-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Didn't read it but seen a book called "Deck Z" on the back it said "Find out about the true events of the Titanic, an evil lurks under the deck...." or something along those lines, gave me a good laugh in the book store.

Finished Ex-patriots and ex-communication. Ill stand by my review of ex-heroes, not a literary masterpiece but a really fun read will buy the next instalment also.

Currently trying Area 187 by Eric lowther as recommended in this thread, So far so awful, whoever edited this needs a kicking in the proverbials. I did a WTF on the very first paragraph at the sentence structure which is a new low for me. If this is what the future is with self published I weep for our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 glc3

Mod Edit: No advertising - see the forum charter.

Yea, The third book was a little weak especially at the end but I am still looking forward to the next one.
    Is there going to be another book though? He seemed to wrap it up fairly quickly at the end which I hated as it just seemed lazy, if there was going to be a 4th I'd have thought he'd expand on it more

My understanding is there will be more but having just looked one of the voices in my head may be lying to me. Area 187 still only Meh..

Finished area 187 and the enemy. Now reading the dead though its kinda more of the same and I'm struggling to get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Hey, guys! Sorry I haven't popped in in a while but I just wanted to inform you all that I recently purchased two of The Walking Dead novellas- "Rise of The Governor" and "The Road To Woodbury". Haven't read them yet as I have other non-zombie related books to get through at the moment but I ask: Are they any good?:confused:

EDIT: Also meant to add: David Wellington's series of books are fantastic. I highly recommend Plague Zone and the Monster series. :)

Is there going to be an 8th zombie fallout book?. Just finished the 7th book and I was expecting something alot better

Advertisement