Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming over next week

Options
  • 16-09-2013 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Im coming over next week on a working holiday visa and im terrified. Coming over on my own. Its getting closer. Im well prepared, as much as I can following Rightyabe do it yourself whv guide.

I have one more thing to do and transfer my savings into my oz account. Once that is done, there's no going back. Well I suppose I could go over, activate my bank account, get my money back and go home again.

I have an account set up with currency fair, now just to make the transfer.

I cant help but think what if things go terribly wrong with having my money sitting in my oz account waiting for me. Like if my flights get cancelled and I cant get over.

Anyway, does anyone know if I could transfer money to currency fair and leave it there until I get over there. Then if things didnt work out, I could send it back to my irish account.

Also has anyone any useful information once I get to Sydney, like information on public transport, finding accommodation like house shares, where to do a cheap food shop. This is probably stuff I could ask at the hostel but anyway.

Im worrying too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Relax! :)

You can leave money on currency fair account either in Euro or AU$, or can transfer part into Aus account and leave rest on cf if you are worried. Even if you transfer all to Aus bank they are not gonna run off with it so you will have access to it, even if you go back to Ireland after day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

OP I came over to Sydney by myself last week.

For public transport I bought a 7 day MyMulti ticket for $44, travel on trains in zone 1 (pretty much all the inner suburbs) and all buses. They sell the tickets in Train Stations and some shops (usually a sign outside the shops that sell them).
    For accommodation like house shares just look up house shares in the real estate section on gumtree.com.au. I only went for places in inner Sydney and found somewhere within three days.
    For cheap food shop find a supermarket near your hostel, just search on google maps.
    Get to know people in your hostel (add them on Facebook so you can keep up with them) and shamelessly look up anyone you know over here, any friends of family over here and any relations.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

I cant help but think what if things go terribly wrong with having my money sitting in my oz account waiting for me. Like if my flights get cancelled and I cant get over.

In this case travel insurance will cover the cost of re-booking your flights. Look at it this way instead of focusing on what might go wrong, think about ten years from now and how you'd be telling people you had the opportunity the funds and the flights booked to go but you backed out at the last minute. Seriously you'll be asking yourself "What if" for a long time after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I have my bag packed and its massive.

What do I need, am I bringing too much

3 pairs of jeans
    3 pairs of trousers
    7 pairs of shorts
    20 t-shirts
    2 jumpers
    6 tops
    1 jacket
    1 pair of shoes
    1 pair of sandals
    2 towels
    2 swim suits
    1 hand bag

Would I need all this?

• Advertisement

20 t-shirts

Seems a bit much, remember you'll most likely accumulate stuff on your travels as well so leave room in your case otherwise you might get a shock at the airport on the way home.

I was 10kg over my baggage allowance on the way home the airline quoted me €75 per kilo excess.

I think packing is the hardest part.

I think packing is the hardest part.

You seem to be pretty on the money with everything. Im flying Aer Lingus/Malaysia on the 4th of next month (Havent started packing yet :pac:) and they now give a 30kg baggage allowance which is pretty good. It was only 20kg the last time i flew with them and i could take hardly anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I have my bag packed and its massive.

What do I need, am I bringing too much

3 pairs of jeans
    3 pairs of trousers
    7 pairs of shorts
    20 t-shirts
    2 jumpers
    6 tops
    1 jacket
    1 pair of shoes
    1 pair of sandals
    2 towels
    2 swim suits
    1 hand bag

Would I need all this?

If by tops you mean hoodies, take out 4. AU is coming into summer. Ditto for 1 jumper. 2 pairs of jeans will do.

No runners? I'd add at least one pair of havianas to that pile. You have sunnies? If not add at least 1 pair.

Shirt? Long sleeve please. 1-2 pairs of track suit pants as well.

You're a dude right?

1 hand bag
    Batgurl wrote: »
    You're a dude right?

6304decfc8bd43e68c79f9e.jpg

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Im not a dude.

Im not a dude.

Sundresses (maxi and knee length), cardigans and havianas are your saviour.

I'd also drop the jeans to one pair of plain blue jeans.

20 tops is fine for a girl.

FYI - bras, pants and stockings are expensive over here. Go to dunnes/pennys/M&S and stock up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

20 tops is fine for a girl.
    WTF! 20?
    My wife and I travelled all over SE Asia, Aus, and NZ with about three tops each. You can pick up cheap stuff if you need it in Target or the charity shops.
    But you are right about the underwear though, for both sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    WTF! 20?
    My wife and I travelled all over SE Asia, Aus, and NZ with about three tops each. You can pick up cheap stuff if you need it in Target or the charity shops.
    I imagine they meant to say
    20 tops is fine for a single girl.

Married women don't need to make as much effort. ;)

catbear wrote: »
    WTF! 20?

I can fit 5 string tops into one ziplock bag so 20 when your coming on a working holiday visa isn't excessive. Besides they are so much cheaper in pennys than cotton on.

Speaking of ziplock bags, bring a few of them to protect your delicates against hostel bugs. You'd be surprised how handy they are ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I can fit 5 string tops into one ziplock bag so 20 when your coming on a working holiday visa isn't excessive. Besides they are so much cheaper in pennys than cotton on.

Speaking of ziplock bags, bring a few of them to protect your delicates against hostel bugs. You'd be surprised how handy they are ;)
    Sorry Batgurl, you're right. The clothes here are rubbish. Ziplock bags are the way to go.
    It's flipping annoying the way that just to buy a good quality t-shirt will cost you whereas the last time i was in dunnes I picked up lovely cotton t-shirts for 1-2€, you're paying $20 here for the same quality.
    They put up with some crap here.

Getting a bit anxious.

Has anyone transferred money using currency fair? How long does the currency fair take to transfer funds into oz bank. I exchanged euros to dollars and sent to my oz account yesterday morning. Still not in my oz account. Its not nice seeing 0.00 and leaving in two days.

3 days i think, also i can't be sure if they are working days or not

If you did it Wednesday night (Australian time) it's only been 1 working day. It'll take 2-3 at least as currency fair operate through Bank of America is AU. Who is ur account with?

I stopped worrying and took a break from checking my online banking on the hour. And it came through. Must remind myself to relax and stop this worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

Relax, come over and enjoy the sun, it costs nothing to sit on the beach (bar sunscreen!!)
    It's starting to warm up nicely, it's lovely in Adelaide today. Qld is having a heatwave. Winter Summer is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Relax, you have nothing to worry about. Most people that come over here are about 100 times less organised than you and it all works out. Its a new adventure, sit back and enjoy it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

We should hold a Sydney beers - we've only had one!
    Or else join a few meetups - there is an Irish breakfast club which is pretty popular, which holds brunch meetings, trivia and general get togethers

Advertisement