Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Hob Smashed

Options
  • 16-09-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for the advice.

We are renting a house and today I was opening the extractor fan door while cooking and it fell off and smashed the glass hob.

Just wondering if anyone knows if we are liable to pay for a replacement/repair. I don't think we are because it was not done intentionally and the extractor fan isn't supposed to come off it's hinges!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did you notice an issue with the extractor fan door before? if you did and did and told the landlord and they did not deal with it then it is their issue.
    If it was just one of those things it is probably still the landlords responsibility but talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

weather you damage something by accident or intentionally makes no difference at all.

what exactly do you mean you were opening the extractor fan door ? I cant picture what you were doing.

Why were you doing this ? Does it have to be done to use the extractor ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

D3PO wrote: »
    weather you damage something by accident or intentionally makes no difference at all.

what exactly do you mean you were opening the extractor fan door ? I cant picture what you were doing.

Why were you doing this ? Does it have to be done to use the extractor ?
    Yes you pull out the front of the extractor which turns it on and which can often have a large enough 600x400mm wooden door attached.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes you pull out the front of the extractor which turns it on and which can often have a large enough 600x400mm wooden door attached.

still cant picture it lol. But if as I seem to grasp its part of the standard operation of the extractor then I cant see how the OP is in anyway libel. If it was damaged as a result of normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

http://www.stockpilecookerhoods.com/Elica-Integrata-NG-STD-Integrated-Hood-p/int-ng-std.htm

I don't know how to post photos but i'm guessing it looks something like the ones in the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Thanks everyone.

Yes it looks like that but has a little knob on either side to pull it open.

I only pulled it with one hand and it just came off it's hinges, got a terrible fright and it's lucky it didn't fall on my head! We are getting an estimate today on how much it is to replace it but I just wanted to make sure before I said it to the landlord. They are super nice and would pay for it ourselves if it was our fault but I honestly don't think that it was.

yeah with the picture shown I cant honestly see how you could be at fault unless you were swinging out of the thing.

Its good you have a nice LL. Id explain it to him invite him over to have a look and a cuppa and Im sure he will see that its his/her responsibility to sort.

From your first post I had the picture of you doing something outside normal operating paramaters but its clear now that isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Yeah they are lovely but they live in Greece so I will have to text them to let them know. They were over last month and saw that there was nothing wrong with the place and said that if anything went wrong to let them know.

Elevelyn wrote: »
    they live in Greece

Completely OT but I've seen so many people floored by this tax issue that I thought I'd mention it, just in case :)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html
    If your landlord lives outside Ireland and you pay your rent through an agent, you do not have to deduct tax from the rent. The landlord’s collection agent must account for the tax in an annual tax return.

However, if you pay the rent directly to the landlord (including into their bank account) whether in Ireland or abroad, you must deduct tax at the standard rate (20% in 2013) from the gross amount that you pay.

Advertisement