Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop freeze?

Options
  • 16-09-2013 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I think!

Looks dodgy this one, but I'd be immensely grateful if anyone has any ideas or can even point me in the right direction.
    Basically I was streaming a video (on a less than reputable site I might add!) when my acer laptop just went blank. The power light stayed on and everything seemed normal except the screen going black. Left it for a while, got impatient & turned it off by holding down the power button. Turned it back on & it sounds like it's about to go into a reboot & then it doesn't. It just does nothing. The light just stays on a constant blue & there's no sounds or anything. I let the battery run down and tried again with the same results. I also tried holding f8 & that does nothing either.

Help!

I'm using windows 7 btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Hi,

When you power on the laptop do you get anything at all on the screen? Manufacturer logo? Bios screen etc??? or is it just completely blank?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Possible motherboard gone, overheating perhaps, does it normally get very hot, were vents blocked?
    Thermal shutdown should reset when its cooled down if just overheating and shutdown by bios.
    If no sounds and no screen activity at all when cooled, suspect blown motherboard.
    Alternatively dodgy power supply, again overheating could lead to it burning out and not supplying sufficient power to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Hi,

When you power on the laptop do you get anything at all on the screen? Manufacturer logo? Bios screen etc??? or is it just completely blank?

Not a thing. Completely blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

wil wrote: »
    Possible motherboard gone, overheating perhaps, does it normally get very hot, were vents blocked?
    Thermal shutdown should reset when its cooled down if just overheating and shutdown by bios.
    If no sounds and no screen activity at all when cooled, suspect blown motherboard.
    Alternatively dodgy power supply, again overheating could lead to it burning out and not supplying sufficient power to boot.

Cheers for that. It does get hot sometimes actually. It's well cooled down now though & same results. Any way of salvaging anything from a blown motherboard?

Advertisement