Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black mustard seeds

Options
  • 16-09-2013 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I've got what looks like a really nice recipe for a spiced pumpkin and apple chutney (will share recipe once I've tried it). Have gathered all the ingredients except one: does anyone know where I would get black mustard seeds? And also, does anyone know of a good alternative to them in a chutney? I've never used them so am unsure of what they will add in terms of flavour; I was thinking of adding a couple of spoonfulls of wholegrain mustard instead, any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

they are available in most asian stores. they add a mustard flavour. mustard is made from ground mustard seed, vinegar and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any good Asian store will have them.

What's also nice in such chutneys are kalonji seeds, often called 'black onion seeds' or 'nigella'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any Asian store will have them. They are distinct from yellow mustard seeds, which are more conventionally used to make mustard.

They work best when toasted lightly before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Any ethnic shop will do them.
    If you're in Dublin, I go to a fantastic shop just down from Leonard's Corner. Big vacuum pack of ANY seeds only €3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annacollins

You will get black mustard seeds in the Asia Market, Drury St, Dublin 2. Don't know if its convenient for you or whether you live in Dublin. If the mustard seeds are to be ground for your recipe you could just use ordinary mustard powder instead. Many Asian shops will sell mustard seeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Thanks all, went ahead and made a small quantity of the chutney simply omitting the mustard seeds as I didn't want to waste the other (fresh) ingredients; not convinced by the texture but according to the recipe it doesn't need to be stored before eating so will taste it this evening and report back with the recipe if it's a success!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

annacollins do not spam links to your blog. Please re-read the terms and conditions of boards.ie before posting again.

Advertisement