Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best broadband in galway city/suburbs

• 16-09-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads and lassies,

Have cancelled my ridiculously expensive contract with upc for a crap service and wondering what company has the best offering at the moment in my area?even though upc advertised broadband speeds as 50mb, all they said i could get in my area is 30mb and in reality the best i was getting was 21mb!....would their competitors use the same line as what upc use or do they use their own separate lines?
    I see vodafone are offering a "Vodafone Simply Broadband Max" package which states i get 70mb broadband for €35 but frightened ill commit to a contract to find out they are using the same 30mb limited line!could someone please advise me on this and who ye think are the best broadband providers in galway, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

bump :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi Lads and lassies,

Have cancelled my ridiculously expensive contract with upc for a crap service and wondering what company has the best offering at the moment in my area?even though upc advertised broadband speeds as 50mb, all they said i could get in my area is 30mb and in reality the best i was getting was 21mb!....would their

You just cancelled the best so....

bealtine wrote: »
    You just cancelled the best so....

I'm told that I'm guaranteed 28 minimum with Vodafone so that's still 7 more than what I got with upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm told that I'm guaranteed 28 minimum with Vodafone so that's still 7 more than what I got with upc

Over wifi?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Over wifi?

I'm told 28mb- 50 mb with Vodafone efibre vs upc who advertise broadband at 50mb, tell me my line can only carry 30mb but in reality I used to get 21mb max

• Advertisement

I'm told 28mb- 50 mb with Vodafone efibre vs upc who advertise broadband at 50mb, tell me my line can only carry 30mb but in reality I used to get 21mb max

Did you do your speed test over wifi or using an Ethernet cable?

Oh sorry,I did both...same result more or less

Oh sorry,I did both...same result more or less

Cool, let us know how it goes for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hi Lads and lassies,

Have cancelled my ridiculously expensive contract with upc for a crap service and wondering what company has the best offering at the moment in my area?even though upc advertised broadband speeds as 50mb, all they said i could get in my area is 30mb and in reality the best i was getting was 21mb!....would their competitors use the same line as what upc use or do they use their own separate lines?
    I see vodafone are offering a "Vodafone Simply Broadband Max" package which states i get 70mb broadband for €35 but frightened ill commit to a contract to find out they are using the same 30mb limited line!could someone please advise me on this and who ye think are the best broadband providers in galway, thanks

Here is a price comparison site for Galway area broadband which seems to be up to date. Strangely though Eircom is not included.

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/local/galway-city/

Looking at the various deals I'm just wondering what you mean by ridiculously expensive. You can have UPC for €25 and Vodafone is €30, both broadband only obviously since Vodafone don't offer TV. And what could you not do with the 21 Meg connection that you wanted to do?

Vodafone uses Eircom phone lines so that is different from UPC. The speed you can get is mostly determined by your distance from the Eircom fibre cabinet to which you are connected.

• Advertisement

Here is a price comparison site for Galway area broadband which seems to be up to date. Strangely though Eircom is not included.

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/local/galway-city/

Looking at the various deals I'm just wondering what you mean by ridiculously expensive. You can have UPC for €25 and Vodafone is €30, both broadband only obviously since Vodafone don't offer TV. And what could you not do with the 21 Meg connection that you wanted to do?

Vodafone uses Eircom phone lines so that is different from UPC. The speed you can get is mostly determined by your distance from the Eircom fibre cabinet to which you are connected.

no upc is offerin 25e for first 6 months for new customers only, then up to 45e....vodafone is 32. when i said upc was 21meg......i mean it ws that on the best day at the quietest times

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

After ordering my Vodafone Simply Max (32e per month, 12 month contract) on the 4th of September Vodafone showed what a bunch off unorganised eejits they are. They forgot about the order, never rang back when they said they would and eventually managed to get the modem delivered to me today.

I just did a (wired) speed test and got an absolutely disappointing speed of 10Mb/s or just over 1 MB/s. Btw, I'm in Knocknacarra.

Ten times faster my arse, it's actually slower than UPC.

i found out after amonth of waiting and ringing and ringing aind ringing and emailing...vodafone cant offer proper broadband to me....noone would ring back or notify me ...eventually got answer off rep on this...the vodafone call centre is waste of time...i then was promised by eircom that they definitely could offer me broadband....another haf month before i found out that was bulls&&t too!.

Back with upc now and i can safely say ill never ever ever ever give vodafone or eircom a chance again...they will never get another cent from me for the way i was treated!!

upc looked after me fine after and straight prompt service to me again...the best i can get here at mo and very decent to deal with in comparison to the other bunch!!

Advertisement