Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerys, Dublin re-opening

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

miamee wrote: »
    Yes! The heat was shocking. I kind of assumed that it was due to all of the lights they now have everywhere, it is very brightly lit. It could be the heating on and the fact the place was bustling with customers too.

I have never been into the Tea Rooms, I must go in at some point.

I'm sure the numbers of people there and all the lights didn't help with the heat, but I don't think they were the main cause of it. I think it was mainly the heat being on at full blast. When we were up in the tearooms, we had to move away from our seats beside the wall, as they were beside an old fashioned radiator that was scalding hot to the touch. The place was roasting.

It must cost them an arm and a leg to heat a big old building like that to such a degree. Seeing as city centre department stores are always complaining how hard it is for them to turn a profit, you'd think they'd put a big of thought into overheads like that. They can be such a terrible drain on profits. If there is someone there that is paid to figure out the most economic way to do it, he needs to figure something else out, as the current set up is costing them a fortune, losing them customers and pissing off their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Had a quick look today and overall it doesnt seem to have changed that much. However the second floor looks a lot more spacious and the views of O'Connell Street are a welcome change.

Also on the second floor is the customer service desk. At first I thought this was odd as surely any customer service desks should be on the ground floor. But behind the desk is a fascinating pictorial history of this iconic store. Pictures of the Guineys, various sales over the years and even a small cinema type venue to watch the history of Clerys makes this very worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Had a look yesterday nice & airy but the finish on the overall new Construction is abysmal Who did the job?

Advertisement